Cruise booked for January

houseflipper48

5 hours ago, vswan said:

You might need to arrive 2 weeks early if you want to sail - but if the port area is above the required percentage that could be troublesome.

That requirement would never happen.  The only people that could cruise would be retirees with deep pockets.  Even if you could get the time off from work, or you're unemployed, the additional costs involved with an AirBnB and 2 weeks worth of food could be more than the cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vswan said:

I agree. As of now I haven't canceled my cruises. May need to if they require testing several days prior to cruising since I will be on the first cruise when I would have to test for the second. Although, if it's safe to cruise and I have been in a bubble for a week, and cruise lines are comfortable with the precautions....

For me, it would probably be safer in Florida than in MN. Much of the focus for us is that we are entering a season when dining and visiting outdoors is just not overly practical. Yes, we can ski, snow shoe, walk, but visiting for any period of time in 30 below weather - which does happen - is not practical. They have had news stories asking if snowbirds should go south for the winter and they have said that it is probably safer because of the warmer weather. Of course that depends on people taking the precautions.

From what I understand you will be tested just before boarding and wait for the results. If you test positive and arrived in a van or any other transportation. Everyone will be prevented from boarding. Usually we park off site. Maybe this time we will park at the pier so we would not be with others. Hopefully we will be cruising Jan 9. I already checked where we would get ourselves tested before going. They said 12 - 24 hours for the results. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

Back to “cruise booked for January,” November 2 Sunrise out of Miami cancelled, booked January 3 Horizon out of Miami, the anticipation begins again. 

Love the Horizon. Did the TA from Barcelona to NYC when she was 3 weeks old. 

1 hour ago, leen50 said:

Love the Horizon. Did the TA from Barcelona to NYC when she was 3 weeks old. 

Interesting, we were on that TA also, it was our first TA, had Legend TA booked for October (now) from Barcelona to Tampa, of course was cancelled as Carnival never got the Legend to Europe so it could return from Europe.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Warm her up for us! We sail when you return on 1/9!

Will do our best. We have a cruise booked out of Tampa on the Legend January 17 but I am really unsure about that one so decided to book January 3 on the Horizon as I feel it has a better chance of going, need to get on a ship sooner than later, so we will either be on two cruises in January or one cruise in January or none.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cellfree said:

Will do our best. We have a cruise booked out of Tampa on the Legend January 17 but I am really unsure about that one so decided to book January 3 on the Horizon as I feel it has a better chance of going, need to get on a ship sooner than later, so we will either be on two cruises in January or one cruise in January or none.

Since you appear to be covering several situations, you should book a cruise on another cruise line in case cruising resumes from US ports but Carnival remains sidelined due to their failure to comply with numerous environmental laws. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cellfree said:

We are also on the Legend Jan.17th.  I have am pretty sure it will be cancelled. But of course not until after final payment.

51 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Since you appear to be covering several situations, you should book a cruise on another cruise line in case cruising resumes from US ports but Carnival remains sidelined due to their failure to comply with numerous environmental laws. 

I do have MSC booked for February and May. And I have a RCCL booked for March (was given gift certificates - cannot remember last time on Royal)  but that is Tampa so again not sure of that Port. I have not put out much more $ than original bookings, mostly moving $ and FCCs forward. 

4 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

We are also on the Legend Jan.17th.  I have am pretty sure it will be cancelled. But of course not until after final payment.

Hopefully if cancelled Carnival continues with same practice of $600 OBC for 6 or more night cruise. Actually have that sitting there now on Legend cruise from a previous cancelled cruise, forgot which one!

It remains to be seen if Carnival can sail without the 60 day inspection period specified by the judge handling Carnival's environmental crimes.  Right now, I believe the order is not in effect, just threatened if Carnival continues to stonewall and evade or deny its violations.

Another thread on this has way more current and accurate data, feel free to read it.

I do have MSC booked for February and May. And I have a RCCL booked for March (was given gift certificates - cannot remember last time on Royal)  but that is Tampa so again not sure of that Port. I have not put out much more $ than original bookings, mostly moving $ and FCCs forward. 

What are the embarkation ports that your MSC and Royal cruises are on?  This could have an impact as to whether it'll sail or not.

Hopefully if cancelled Carnival continues with same practice of $600 OBC for 6 or more night cruise. Actually have that sitting there now on Legend cruise from a previous cancelled cruise, forgot which one!

Since I am inferring that you already have 600 in OBC on your Legend cruise that was rolled over from a previously cancelled one, if it happens again, I don't think that you'll get 1200 in OBC from being able to stack them together.   If stacking was allowed, there are people that could have 2400 in OBC from 4 cancelled cruises over the past 7 months.

36 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

What are the embarkation ports that your MSC and Royal cruises are on?  This could have an impact as to whether it'll sail or not.

MSC is Miami and Royal is Tampa - I am concerned about Royal in March - someone suggested Tampa is not going to have ships cruise until closer to April - another wait and see even for March.

32 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Since I am inferring that you already have 600 in OBC on your Legend cruise that was rolled over from a previously cancelled one, if it happens again, I don't think that you'll get 1200 in OBC from being able to stack them together.   If stacking was allowed, there are people that could have 2400 in OBC from 4 cancelled cruises over the past 7 months.

I do realize that Carnival isn't stacking, simply $600 would be offered.

Our November cruise that was cancelled was a five night cruise so I get $300 OBC for that which is now on the six night January Horizon i booked but if the six night January is cancelled I would then be offered $600 for a six night or more cancelled cruise if Carnival keeps the same format going forward.

2 minutes ago, cellfree said:

MSC is Miami and Royal is Tampa - I am concerned about Royal in March - someone suggested Tampa is not going to have ships cruise until closer to April - another wait and see even for March.

I do realize that Carnival isn't stacking, simply $600 would be offered.

Our November cruise that was cancelled was a five night cruise so I get $300 OBC for that which is now on the six night January Horizon i booked but if the six night January is cancelled I would then be offered $600 for a six night or more cancelled cruise if Carnival keeps the same format going forward.

You're correct regarding your OBC being increased since the new cruise being cancelled is a six nighter.  Your MSC for May should be good, the MSC in February is on life support and Royal in March out of Tampa could be in trouble that has been previously speculated on the boards.

It's going to be a stepping stone process once things open up.  Could be only a few embarkation ports, a handful of ships and adjusted itineraries depending upon which ports will be accepting cruise ships.

14 hours ago, cellfree said:

Interesting, we were on that TA also, it was our first TA, had Legend TA booked for October (now) from Barcelona to Tampa, of course was cancelled as Carnival never got the Legend to Europe so it could return from Europe.

We took NCL Star to Spain, stayed in Barcelona for 4 nights then boarded Horizon to NYC. We are orig. from NY so we stayed & visited family for a few days. Gone for 39 nights. Terrific trip!

On 10/15/2020 at 12:54 PM, Saint Greg said:

It was tough for ME...going from that 30 inch suitcase and large backpack to the 21 inch suitcase and small backpack. I don't know how people do it with a carryon..or sharing a suitcase.

Important lesson we taught our kids - always pack light. We traveled to Hawaii for 3 weeks with only carryons. Also, we traveled to South Africa for 2 weeks with only carryons. The best though, was a week in Punta Cana with only a personal item.  I refused to pay for luggage on Spirit and chose instead to use the money to upgrade our standard room to a swim up room. Well worth it!  BTW, my son and I each had clothes in our bags we didn’t even wear.

11 minutes ago, AfricaTravellers said:

Important lesson we taught our kids - always pack light. We traveled to Hawaii for 3 weeks with only carryons. Also, we traveled to South Africa for 2 weeks with only carryons. The best though, was a week in Punta Cana with only a personal item.  I refused to pay for luggage on Spirit and chose instead to use the money to upgrade our standard room to a swim up room. Well worth it!  BTW, my son and I each had clothes in our bags we didn’t even wear.

I’m sure the cost of checked luggage for a family of five can add up. My one suitcase wouldn’t purchase any room upgrades. I think it was $35 each way on spirit. I just factored that into the cost of the ticket when pricing flights.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, evandbob said:

It remains to be seen if Carnival can sail without the 60 day inspection period specified by the judge handling Carnival's environmental crimes.  Right now, I believe the order is not in effect, just threatened if Carnival continues to stonewall and evade or deny its violations.

Another thread on this has way more current and accurate data, feel free to read it.

That 60 day order would worry me except I'm not booked until sept on carnival.

RCL just came out with new promotion of double pts for new bookings in 2021. If I werent 70 years old I'd be tempted. I can get a inside out of Galveston as cheap as $695 including taxes, for 3 pts x 7. Solo booking, so 1 extra. More than $200 cheaper than cheapest inside on ccl out of Galveston.

21 loyalty pts on rcl tempting for a week.

Ccl prices sky high and now this 60 day problem. ..

Edited by firefly333

7 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m sure the cost of checked luggage for a family of five can add up. My one suitcase wouldn’t purchase any room upgrades. I think it was $35 each way on spirit. I just factored that into the cost of the ticket when pricing flights.

It is funny how paying for a checked bag ($70.00 R/T) on Spirit alarms people. Adding it all together the fare with add ons is usually less expensive.

DW and I can travel to warm weather climates with that " personal item size" each.

Cruises we take 1 checked bag along with 1 personal size.

To see how much luggage people come to port with is astonishing. 

On 10/17/2020 at 8:03 PM, cellfree said:

Back to “cruise booked for January,” November 2 Sunrise out of Miami cancelled, booked January 3 Horizon out of Miami, the anticipation begins again. 

Yes, this thread has gone off on a few tangents......on topic from here on, please!!!

30 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

We are booked for Jan 9th. Already checking on February if it gets cancelled.

Same on 1/9 and same on looking at other options. We will probably push it back to April though if January is canceled. It will all depend on how much notice Carnival gives. Less than 30 days will be hard to unsubmit vacation time from work.