SBS - Cruise pandemic doco -MV Greg Mortimer

Since you are all avoiding the Ch7 Cruising special tomorrow night, you might instead be interested in what SBS is offering on the subject.

SBS Dateline on Tuesday at 9.30pm is running a 2 part look at the MV Greg Mortimer which departed Ushuaia Argentina in March this year and then was hit by port closures and covid.  

Dateline: Deadly trip of a lifetime 

"This is a sobering story,  responsibly told, that speaks quietly yet eloquently to the professionalism and compassion of those who saved many lives against long odds"

Also available on SBS demand

https://lighthouse.mq.edu.au/article/june-2020/81-of-COVID-positive-passengers-on-Antarctic-cruise-ship-had-no-symptoms-new-study

This is a link to one article written by a passenger on the cruise.  I did read another one some time ago which was virtually a day by day summary of the cruise written by a doctor (passenger).  The interesting thing was that many of the passengers had medical backgrounds either doctors or dentists so I imagine that cleanliness was not a problem.  There are many informative articles available which are not sensation seeking.

32 minutes ago, Ondine said:

https://lighthouse.mq.edu.au/article/june-2020/81-of-COVID-positive-passengers-on-Antarctic-cruise-ship-had-no-symptoms-new-study

This is a link to one article written by a passenger on the cruise.  I did read another one some time ago which was virtually a day by day summary of the cruise written by a doctor (passenger).  The interesting thing was that many of the passengers had medical backgrounds either doctors or dentists so I imagine that cleanliness was not a problem.  There are many informative articles available which are not sensation seeking.

Thanks an interesting read.....

It does bring into question the way the whole Covid-19 reponds has been handled....

Don

Edited by getting older slowly

Thanks for linking the interesting article.  What a gain for the world to have access to the  medical paper written by a doctor on his observations from being on board. 

I know in the US people couldn't get tested unless they had symptoms.

I saw an interesting TV story on a home for the disabled in the UK where the owner wouldn't accept aged patients being transferred from hospitals, despite pressure from the health auths.  The patients were said to be free of the virus.  Afterwards the virus spread through the aged care homes, with record loss of life, whilst his home for the disabled remained virus free.  

On 10/10/2020 at 9:42 AM, aussielozzie18 said:

Since you are all avoiding the Ch7 Cruising special tomorrow night, you might instead be interested in what SBS is offering on the subject.

I will watch SBS because I am quite interested in this particualr story but I will check out CH 7 as the footage on the ads of the cruise ships at the scrap yards looks fascinating so I am intrigued what they will say about it.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 1:36 PM, getting older slowly said:

Thanks an interesting read.....

It does bring into question the way the whole Covid-19 reponds has been handled....

Don

What I find interesting is that MV Greg Mortimer became a Covid19 bubble - where Covid was on the inside.  This provides a rather unique example of how the virus behaves over almost a month despite isolation.

Most interesting was how 10 shared cabins had mixed results of 1 positive and 1 negative despite the occupants 'isolating' together.  This suggests that either some people have a natural immunity, or accepted transmission methods do not always work.

2 minutes ago, banzaii said:

What I find interesting is that MV Greg Mortimer became a Covid19 bubble - where Covid was on the inside.  This provides a rather unique example of how the virus behaves over almost a month despite isolation.

Most interesting was how 10 shared cabins had mixed results of 1 positive and 1 negative despite the occupants 'isolating' together.  This suggests that either some people have a natural immunity, or accepted transmission methods do not always work.

Absolutely agreed.....Masks and social distancing have help for sure......

But  do we really understand it.... I feel that is the question....

Should they test everyone....?? 

and what if 25% of the population come up asymptomatic... what do we do ??? 

Fingers crossed no more mexican waves.......... Don

6 minutes ago, banzaii said:

I remember the TV interview with the couple off the Ruby Princess where the husband was suffering from the virus and the wife was negative.  I believe that it is not uncommon in a family for some to remain negative. 

4 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

the snow effect throughout was annoying.

Yes I did notice that. I think they were trying to go for that sort of amature film look but it ended up looking really odd.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

$15,000 a ticket on the Greg Mortimer, the reason why so many doctors and dentists and lawyers on board, they have the big $$$$.

Plus airfares to South America, business class of course for the above.

Edited by NSWP

Watched the story albeit the 1st part, will have to wait for the 2nd.

beautiful scenery but sad that people became infected on the cruise.

Must have been very difficult for staff and passengers.

From memory there were a few larger ships caught up in South America at the time, some were posting on cruise critic? 

33 minutes ago, pully8 said:

Watched the story albeit the 1st part, will have to wait for the 2nd.

beautiful scenery but sad that people became infected on the cruise.

Must have been very difficult for staff and passengers.

From memory there were a few larger ships caught up in South America at the time, some were posting on cruise critic? 

There were some large cruise ships, but they dont gonrightvdown tobthe ice.

My son had a charter, think it was Ocean Atlantic, 150 pax and got them out on  a chartered LAN plane from Buenos Aires, with guests from one of his land tours to Macchu Picchu. Stressfull times for us.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Re the ch7 doco, I was cranky when transplant lady came on, apologising for spreading the virus, she did not go to ships dr because she said they charge like a wounded bull, typical bogan. And no doubt ch7 gave her 20 grand for her short appearance.

Probably had no travel insurance or too mean to pay the  excess.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

I found the sbs documentary very interesting. Clearly not the sensationalised stuff we have seen previously.

The focus on the 2 doctors provided a strong professional base.  The interviews with the poor bloke who lost his wife and the cabin attendant brought a strong personal element.

The company has not come out positively.

• Like 1