Princess does not offer flights into Florence? Info please

nini

We have a cruise scheduled for September 2021 departing from Rome

to Barcelona. We want to fly in early and spend some time in Florence and then

make our way down to Rome pre- cruise. I have researched via "mock" flights and

can not find any flights into or out of Florence. Princess offers many other cites including

Venice and Milan (2 different airports) but none for Florence.

Is this standard for Princess? We may consider some time in Venice, however, I have

read that Marco Polo airport is a real zoo.

Thanks for any insights.

Florence is a very small airport and most people fly to Pisa and drive or get the train. I'm guessing with luggage it will be driving which takes around one hour depending on traffic. If you want an alternative Bologna is very interesting with some of the best food I have ever tasted.

18 hours ago, nini said:

Thanks for any insights.

A few years back, we flew into Milan and took the train to Florence.  Easy and worked well.  This had nothing to do with a cruise trip.  We picked up our rental car in Florence and had a driving trip.  In the end, the car was dropped in Naples and we took a train to Rome to finish the trip.  Again, train was great.  We like independent travel and like the driving ourselves.  It was a good mix and the trains get you from A to B quickly if major stations.

I have been to Italy many times on land. Flights are rarely a good value flying into the small Florence Airport.  It's more common to fly into Rome or Milan and then take the train. Isuppose you would have more luggage since you are cruising so renting a car or booking a car and driver might work best in your situation. I travel only with carryon( even when cruising) so train works best for me

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Try Rome or Milan, or Venice.  We have done this several times.  Very easy, very convenient.  Train stations in Milan and Rome.  In Venice you will have to take a cab from the airport to the train station.

My friend, I ve been to Venice 4 times in each and every season lol Venice itself is very confusing but if you take any other Italian city its so comfortable and convenient. Basically you can use their railway to travel the entire country and you will never get lost 

Thank you all for the ideas and alternates. We are just trying to decide

our starting point due to the need of embarking in Rome (Civitavecchia).

1. Begin in Rome for a couple of nights due to jet lag and do a loop of sorts

up to Florence and back for two more nights in Rome

2. Fly into Venice and work our way down to Rome

I need to get my sister to decide (LOL) if Venice is on the radar for this trip.

I realize that these short stays do not even begin to scratch the surface.

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

My friend, I ve been to Venice 4 times in each and every season lol Venice itself is very confusing but if you take any other Italian city its so comfortable and convenient. Basically you can use their railway to travel the entire country and you will never get lost 

Thanks! I have heard that Venice can be crazy! Any helpful hints for Venice if we decide to

arrive there?

We have never, ever had an issue training from Venice, Venice Maestre, Milan, or Rome.   Fast, convenient.  Lots of trains. Fast, slower, slow.

All the the train stations are busy.  Quite often the track number is not announced until 10 minutes prior to departure.  You simply have to keep your eye on the board and on your luggage.  And do not fall for any of those 'helpers' who offer to carry your bags to the train!

Cetainly if you fly into Venice spend a few days there.  Book in Venice, not Venice Maestre.  Lots of hotels close to the train station (which is beside a convenient vaporetto stop)

Get or borrow a guide book and do a little research on these cities. Decide your preference, then look at the air fares.   Last time we were in Venice we were flying on to J'burg, South Africa.  Saved a fair amount by flying out of Milan....and we stopped in Como on the way for a few days.

The choices in Italy are endless because of the wonderful, and inexpensive, rail system.

Edited by iancal

Another vote for the train we have flown to Rome and left the bulk of our luggage  with the departure hotel moved into smaller carry-ons making thinks much easier.  Frankly we have found it much more enjoyable  to do any touring after the cruise.

We have flown into Venice’s Marco Polo Airport Twice and found it to be the easiest airport of all of the European countries that we have visited.  Both times we took the Alilaguna boat into Venice proper, but there is also a bus option.  We agree with the poster who felt that touring after the cruise was more enjoyable.  An added bonus to traveling in that order is that you may pick up recommendations or information during your cruise that will be helpful as you tour.  We can’t wait to return to Italy when the world situation improves.

Italy and in fact most European countries have excellent train systems.  I realize that most Americans never think of taking a train to get somewhere but Europeans do it all the time.  Fly into what ever airport has good flights and take the train to Florence.

Also, you don't have to be dependent on Princess Air to get your flights.  Do some research and pick your own flights.  

DON

Edited by donaldsc

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Also, you don't have to be dependent on Princess Air to get your flights.  Do some research and pick your own flights.  

Princess Air protects you best if Princess cancels the cruise.

1 hour ago, JimnKaren said:

Don't be afraid to rent a car. We have done it several times. It is easy to take impulse side trips. Signs are easy to read, just be aware of the speedy drivers on the auto strata.

Jim

Signs are easy to read? Aren't they in Italian? On our very first cruise, we missed Florence as I got us on the train going the wrong way from the port. Luckily DW figured it out and we went back, and did get to see Pisa at least, but not Florence. Ten years later on another significant anniversary cruise, we did pretty much the same itinerary. Though more experienced then, we paid the extra to do the ship's Florence on Your Own tour. (And not getting to Florence the first time was an even bigger disaster than it would have been for most as DW is an art teacher. I was afraid I had blown 25 years of marriage.)

14 hours ago, mevs904 said:

We have flown into Venice’s Marco Polo Airport Twice and found it to be the easiest airport of all of the European countries that we have visited.  Both times we took the Alilaguna boat into Venice proper, but there is also a bus option.  We agree with the poster who felt that touring after the cruise was more enjoyable.  An added bonus to traveling in that order is that you may pick up recommendations or information during your cruise that will be helpful as you tour.  We can’t wait to return to Italy when the world situation improves.

This info really helps. I have been researching hotels in Venice and it will be tough

making a decision (in a good way).

Also thank you to TNTLAMB:

Unfortunately, this is a one way itinerary from Rome to Barcelona. Our original

booking was the opposite way which was COMPLETELY changed with the only remaining

original port was Rome. So we opted for this one.

@nini

We did a cruise on Royal Caribbean in Sept. 2019 with our friends.  We flew into Rome and rode the train to Florence then back to Rome to meet them, and did a car over to Civitavecchia for the cruise.  Wish I could do it again. SOB😭  

I did a review on cruise critic, and here is a link to see how it might look if you do the same.