The Daily for Thursday Oct 29, 2020

richwmn

today is Hermit Day, National Frankenstein Day, and National Oatmeal Day

You can make it illegal, but you can't make it unpopular.

Meal suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Balsamic Pot Roast

Drink of the Day - Pumpkin Spice White Russian

Wine of the day - Castello di Gabbiano Chianti Classico vintage 2015

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Caracas Bay
Nieuw Amsterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Portland UK
Volendam

Torquay GB
Nieuw Statendam
She is shown on the map here but is listed as headed for Portland
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Oosterdam

Zelenika ME Anchorage
Zuiderdam

1029World.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Early today.  I love oatmeal, think we are all becoming somewhat hermits in these times, Frankenstein is the rage for the next few days.  Love the quote and the pot roast sounds great today.  My alternate menu suggestion is Tropical Fruit Cup, Bleechers Macaroni and Cheese, and Blueberry-Mango Crisp, as served on the Amsterdam October 29, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires, especially Southern California

Spiking Covid-19

Those affected by Zeta

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

People starting to clear evacuations in California

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Lindaler’s sister and BIL coming for a visit.

And East Syracuse NY Tic Toc police officer Triston Campbell connecting positively with students.  When I grew up East Syracuse was my post office location although I attended North Syracuse schools.

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

I’m glad to see Rich up-and-at-em early this morning as Zeta blows by.  She is headed our way and her winds could wreak havoc on our trees and power lines.

Thanks to all for the lovely thoughts and distractions.  My moments on this board every day are like a breath of fresh air.

stay safe and kind.

• Like 11

I have only a couple of sunrises on this trip.  In 2001 I had a River Cruise through the  Gorge on the Yangtze.  It became an intimate small group tour.  October 29 was actually the morning we left Xian to board our ship.

y2917030.jpg.4d958973bf339d77cd202de983cd0acf.jpg

Roy

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

I’m glad to see Rich up-and-at-em early this morning as Zeta blows by.  She is headed our way and her winds could wreak havoc on our trees and power lines.

Oh dear 😞. Hope you and everyone in Zeta’s path are spared as much as possible. 🙏🏻 

Our prayers for you all.  Stay safe.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

Woke up early to heavy rains which continue now. I have had two quick power failures, and my water pump is currently down.

All will be good shortly.

Hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

Thanks for the Daily.

Love the quote.

I love oatmeal, but not Frankenstein.  I'm a bit of a hermit lately.

The dinner suggestion and wine  sound good, but I'll pass on the drink of the day.

Praying for everyone on the care list.

Cheers to everyone celebrating.

Be safe.

• Like 9

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I think this has been hermit year for a lot of us since the pandemic arrived.  It’s certainly the time of year to celebrate Frankenstein day.

84005BD1-59FF-4A6B-B837-FEF7EE60E320.thumb.png.54216e6c3427ba54d7455f907754dfdf.png

I love that quote.  Makes me recall the Speakeasys & smuggling during prohibition.

Meal suggestion sounds good but no pot roast out so we’ll have something else tonight.

Got a major yard, garden clean up done yesterday - at least until the remaining trees with leaves drop them 😉 

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them as well as those in the path of Zeta.  And a big toast to those on the Celebratory list.

Have a great Thursday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks.😷 

• Like 16

Good Thursday morning Rich, Roy, and all our wonderful dailyites.

As Roy said, we are all turning into hermits in todays conditions.  Love oatmeal, but will pass on Franenstein day.  Leave that for the weekend.  And the quote is spot on!

Have a Pork loin in the crock pot with a Balsamic seasoning so I guess I'm right on for the menu.

Pumpkin Spice White Russian:

Ingredients
For the rim
1 tsp.
pumpkin pie spice
3 tbsp.
grushed graham crackers
For the drink
2 oz.
vodka
1 oz.
Kahlua
1 1/2 oz.
pumpkin spice creamer
Cinnamon stick, for garnish
Directions

Make the rim: On a shallow plate, combine pumpkin pie spice and crushed graham crackers. Dip the edge of each glass in water, then into the mixture, coating the edge of each glass.
Make the drink: Pour vodka and Kahlua into glasses filled with ice. Top with creamer. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.

Prayers and congratulations to all in need.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Things are getting bad again.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Rich. Happy to hear you are ok so far. Hang in there. Thanks for the Daily.

The pot roast sounds delicious. I'm going to make it tomorrow for sure. It's on my market list.

Summer, I do not think I will try the drink. Ever..

Goodness, the poor folks that have suffered hurricanes this year. Jeez. Can't wait til hurricane season is over, the election is over, the holiday's without loved ones is over.. and 2020 is behind us. 

image.jpeg.8fdb0d796ee1b9a04950f55f05074c8c.jpeg

Good morning sisters Denise and Ann and Daily-ites. 

I don't know if we will get any trick or treaters, but will pick up a bag of candy just in case. Any one else have block outs?

Stay safe, don't let the virus get you down. Prayers and blessings out to all.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I don't know if we will get any trick or treaters, but will pick up a bag of candy just in case. Any one else have block outs?

Hallowe’en will go on here with rules in place for those that want to.  (Mask, sanitize if passing out treats, gloves, etc) It’s been suggested that if you don’t want to participate you have a sign and the trick or treaters have been asked to understand.

We’ll have a table set up outside with treats and I’ll replenish it as needed.  I won’t be greeting them as much as I do enjoy it.  Too complicated 😉 and not without risk.

I have no idea if we will get many or not under the circumstances.

• Like 12

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I have to laugh because when I read it was Hermit Day, my mind immediately jumped to the bar that you eat! I prefer to celebrate that one, honestly. Frankenstein deserves his own day. I enjoy oatmeal in its cookie form, but that is about it. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Joy another red wine!

I know our Canadian Dailyites are concerned about their recent COVID spike, but the NY Times had a great article comparing the “spike” of several countries. Canada’s & Germany’s spikes were much smaller, because of the way their Governments handled the outbreak. So be sure to celebrate that!

@summer slope that is quite a recipe! I might try a sip, if someone made one for me. But I would hate to pull together all the ingredients only to find it too sweet or rich for me.   Great quote! Pass on the meal.

I do not even bother buying candy. When I first moved to Florida, I lived in a gated community that had a Halloween map, so people could let Trick or Treaters know they were welcome. I had six visitors, and three of them were parents. Needless to say, I had a lot of left over candy. When I moved to my current place, I had a chance to ask my neighbors, who had lived here since the community opened, and they all said they had never had anyone visit - ever. This might be one of the things I miss most about Maryland.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This classic Tuscan Chianti has excellent ratings and a great price - if you find it. I found it for $12.99 at one place online that ships. 

#33 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

This wine, with its full, balanced flavor, bears honest testimony to its territory and ancient tradition. The moderate use of the wood, the use of large casks, according to the past experience, allows the wine to preserve the most natural characteristics of the Sangiovese grape, bringing them into harmony: fruitiness, freshness and tannin.  Blend: 90% Sangiovese, 5% Merlot, 5% Colorino

WS92

Wine Spectator:  An elegant style, offering black cherry, blackberry, iron and earth flavors, with a hint of wild herbs. The vibrant structure keeps this focused and drives the lingering finish.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 15

We experienced three quick breaks in our power at 4:40 am but it came back quickly each time.  All due to the high winds, branches falling on limbs, etc.  It's still pretty windy out there right now, but no rain at the moment.  Fingers crossed those still in the path of the storm stay safe and don't sustain much damage.

Talking about trick or treaters, I realized we haven't seen one at our door since Halloween 2003!  We moved to a gated community in Missouri in 2004, and then again in 2011 here in Georgia.  If I bought candy, it would be chocolate, and then I would eat it all myself so no thanks!  🙁

Quote from @Seasick Sailor "Can't wait til hurricane season is over, the election is over, the holiday's without loved ones is over.. and 2020 is behind us."  To that I say Amen and I think we can all agree! 

• Like 14

Thank you Rich and Roy.

Thanks to all for sharing and caring.😊

I also wished this year was over.

I wish everyday that everyone could get along somehow.

I wish we would be just a little kinder.

I have so many wishes.

Have a wonderful day and make a wish.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Woke up early to heavy rains which continue now. I have had two quick power failures, and my water pump is currently down.

All will be good shortly.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Sorry to hear.  I hope your water pump is up and running shortly.  I hope the rains pass quickly.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.

Thanks for the Daily.

Love the quote.

I love oatmeal, but not Frankenstein.  I'm a bit of a hermit lately.

The dinner suggestion and wine  sound good, but I'll pass on the drink of the day.

Praying for everyone on the care list.

Cheers to everyone celebrating.

Be safe.

I have NEVER liked oatmeal, much to the chagrin of my mother, when I was a child.  I always preferred bacon and eggs.  Now I cannot eat eggs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I have to laugh because when I read it was Hermit Day, my mind immediately jumped to the bar that you eat! I prefer to celebrate that one, honestly. Frankenstein deserves his own day. I enjoy oatmeal in its cookie form, but that is about it. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Joy another red wine!

I know our Canadian Dailyites are concerned about their recent COVID spike, but the NY Times had a great article comparing the “spike” of several countries. Canada’s & Germany’s spikes were much smaller, because of the way their Governments handled the outbreak. So be sure to celebrate that!

@summer slope that is quite a recipe! I might try a sip, if someone made one for me. But I would hate to pull together all the ingredients only to find it too sweet or rich for me.   Great quote! Pass on the meal.

I do not even bother buying candy. When I first moved to Florida, I lived in a gated community that had a Halloween map, so people could let Trick or Treaters know they were welcome. I had six visitors, and three of them were parents. Needless to say, I had a lot of left over candy. When I moved to my current place, I had a chance to ask my neighbors, who had lived here since the community opened, and they all said they had never had anyone visit - ever. This might be one of the things I miss most about Maryland.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This classic Tuscan Chianti has excellent ratings and a great price - if you find it. I found it for $12.99 at one place online that ships. 

#33 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

This wine, with its full, balanced flavor, bears honest testimony to its territory and ancient tradition. The moderate use of the wood, the use of large casks, according to the past experience, allows the wine to preserve the most natural characteristics of the Sangiovese grape, bringing them into harmony: fruitiness, freshness and tannin.  Blend: 90% Sangiovese, 5% Merlot, 5% Colorino

WS92

Wine Spectator:  An elegant style, offering black cherry, blackberry, iron and earth flavors, with a hint of wild herbs. The vibrant structure keeps this focused and drives the lingering finish.

I also like Oatmeal cookies.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Good Morning Dailyites! Once again, you all lift our sprits. Thank you all so much.

Some of you are experiencing Zeta's wrath in a severe way. At our end, it's just grey and rainy, with 2+ inches of rain expected. In the great scheme of things, hardly worth whinging about.

@richwmn What a fabulous collection of days, quote, food & drink, supplemented by @rafinmd @summer slope & @cat shepard. Our culinary choices tonight will be different, only because I have defrosted salmon filets.

Along with @kazu and others here, I am trying to get over my Grumpy Gus episode after receiving the dreaded email yesterday from HAL containing significant itinerary changes/ship swap for our Nov 2021 Transatlantic. We await further details to make a final decision about whether to stick with the revised sailing or search for new options.

I think we all echo @Seasick Sailor's wish to get 2020 behind us.

On a more positive note, we have a Blue Moon to look forward to on Hallowe'en AND an extra hour of sleep. WooHoo!

Stay safe everyone. And please, wear a mask.

-Cat

• Like 12

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Another interesting combination of days - I love oatmeal; just the smell of it with brown sugar sends me back to my childhood.  Some mornings I wake up and look like bride of Frankenstein, I'm sure!  And we've all become hermits trying to get through this awful year; I'm sure we're all looking forward to being able to return to some semblance of normalcy in our lives.

I love the meal suggestions for today (both Rich's and Roy's), but we have no room left in our freezer for the leftover soup from yesterday, so that'll be on our table tonight.  Along with leftover buns that will be turned into broiled tomato/cheese buns, that'll round out our dinner this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone on the list, and even for those who don't think they need them.  Special prayers for all in the path of Zeta - I have to tell you, I had to look up the Greek alphabet because I mistakenly thought Zeta was the last letter, and couldn't believe y'all had gone through the entire alphabet with hurricanes or tropical storms already!  I thought I'd maybe slept through a lot of them!

Cheers and raising our wine glasses to all on the celebration list tonight.  Be safe, stay well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Can't wait til hurricane season is over, the election is over, the holiday's without loved ones is over.. and 2020 is behind us. 

🌺🌸🌺🌸🌺🌸

Amen to this Dear Joy! I so agree with you!

2020 is a year I just want to EXHALE AND GET RID OF IT!! ❤️ I also believe that when I wake up each day it will be the best foot forward and I will try to stay positive!

Have a good day my dear sister .

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

know our Canadian Dailyites are concerned about their recent COVID spike, but the NY Times had a great article comparing the “spike” of several countries. Canada’s & Germany’s spikes were much smaller, because of the way their Governments handled the outbreak. So be sure to celebrate that!

🎃No Trick or Treating here! A mandate was put in so the kids will not be able to experience there tradition this year with COVID.!

🌺🌸🌺🌸My dear sister Ann! I agree with this. We will celebrate with a toast to our Canadian dear friends! PS Have a good day and a special virtual hug to Bindi👍 Thanks for also doing all of your contributions.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

To Rich and Roy. A BIG THANKS ALSO GO OUT. I still remember back in the old days LOL when our Rich thought up The Daily!

Look at the progress and all the contributions and comments from all! Love it!

😷 STAY SAFE WITH THE TERRIBLE WEATHER PROBLEMS. I HOPE 🤞 ALL OF YOU IN THE PATH COME OUT OF THIS OK.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

Denise😊

• Like 11

I agree with @ger_77 about having to look up the Greek alphabet.  I knew that Alpha was first and Omega was last, but I couldn't come up with Zeta's place in line!  While I was looking things up, I also looked up hermit cookies, and I could definitely have those after the meal suggestions, along with Gerry's tomato/cheese buns.  And wine.

• Like 12