Reasons to be cheerful..........

Harry Peterson

Acknowledgments to Ian Dury and the Blockheads, obviously.

But seriously, a number of us are understandably getting a bit down about things at the moment.  Not surprising, but let's try to look at the positives - and there are plenty.

Such as:  the wonderful NHS and its staff, vaccines, improved treatments, improved knowledge of the virus, forums like this, phones, internet, supermarket delivery services, Amazon, eBay, the BBC, cheese, chocolate, etc etc etc

Add your own positives - just to keep up the good cheer!

Here's a recent personal extravagance just for starters that might prove a real winter treat - anyone heard of the Velvetiser?  Can't mention the website or anything like that (it's available from various places) but the main seller has knocked £20 off at the moment so it's £79.95.  Really good home made hot chocolate (made from real chocolate) in a couple of minutes, and on another level from the usual hot chocolate.  Stupid amount of money for what it is (made by Dualit) but talk to anyone who has one and they'll rave about it.  Could be a good way to get through the winter!  🍫 😋

Harry  😊

• Like 9

Great idea for a post Harry.

On a personal level - My reason to be cheerful is that I have a roof over my head, food in the fridge and I am (hopefully) healthy. And, my faithful companion Freddie keeps me smiling every day with his antics......

943ACA4F-1AB8-4BB1-9557-CE4C91D92845.jpeg

• Like 10

Everything Angel has said (Apart from the dog as he does not come to visit me :classic_wink:)

We are safe,the kids & Grandkids are safe and all my friends and relatives too.

Years ago when my Dad was alive I would go to him with my troubles and even 

after his words of advice /reassurance ,I would most likely say " But what if this /that happens ? "

He always gave the same  " You /we will cross that bridge when we come to it " and through 

life it has rubbed off on me which I am thankful for .

I  have a lovely family who I seldom see due to my sheltering and I have an adorable wife who 

supports me every step of the way as I do for her.

I hear people say "what will we do for Christmas ? "  That's easy,  love each other, maybe you cannot

be together this year but if your all safe, that is all that matters . I just hope the people who live alone 

can get a social bubble going for company until this ends ,which it will as everything does .

So even though I cannot see into the future ,I am thankful there will be one :classic_smile:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

On a personal level - My reason to be cheerful is that I have a roof over my head, food in the fridge and I am (hopefully) healthy. And, my faithful companion Freddie keeps me smiling every day with his antics......

Totally agree except I don’t have a Freddie.  Perhaps I could add a few bottles in the wine rack help!  

• Like 3

We live 10 minutes drive from one of many local beaches and go there most days.

We can still drive and stay in hotels in the Lake District, Harrogate,York,Gretna Green etc.

We can both work from home.

I have been a rep selling chocolate for 35 years so never short of a treat.

We can still go to church every Sunday.

We can still go to restaurants and shop in shopping outlets even in Tier 2.

I always have a positive attitude in everything I do.

Lastly posting on here is always interesting and rewarding.

Graham.

• Like 9

Yes Harry I love my velvetiser, had it last Xmas.  Love it so much, have bought

two for Xmas presents. Have noticed the new ones now also do latte coffee.

I like hot chocolate very hot and find it great to actually fill the mugs with

hot water whilst waiting for the drink to mix. This keeps the drink hotter for

longer!

Terri

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Try Hotel Chocolat. There should be a code for £20 off and free delivery. 😉

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Hotel Chocolate site, with £20 off offer?

I have looked on there but cannot find no code for £20 off just free delivery

17 minutes ago, silkworms said:

Yes Harry I love my velvetiser, had it last Xmas.  Love it so much, have bought

two for Xmas presents. Have noticed the new ones now also do latte coffee.

I like hot chocolate very hot and find it great to actually fill the mugs with

hot water whilst waiting for the drink to mix. This keeps the drink hotter for

longer!

Terri

Thanks Terri - that’s good to hear. Ours hasn’t arrived yet, but I bought it mainly because owners speak so very highly of them. I’m planning to use the microwave to heat them up a little - I gather it’s not as piping hot as you and I might like.

Some Callebaut chocolate callets ordered online sitting here waiting for a little treatment in the food processor before use. Looking forward to trying it.

I am grateful for the love of my family, particularly my hubby who has a lot to put up with!

This crisis has given me the chance to look back at many happy cruise photos (thank you Damien)and I feel grateful that I have had the chance to visit a lot of interesting places and meet some lovely people.So often I have been rushing along with life including planning the next cruise that I have failed to look back and appreciate and remember happy times.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I am grateful for the love of my family, particularly my hubby who has a lot to put up with!

This crisis has given me the chance to look back at many happy cruise photos (thank you Damien)and I feel grateful that I have had the chance to visit a lot of interesting places and meet some lovely people.So often I have been rushing along with life including planning the next cruise that I have failed to look back and appreciate and remember happy times.

It has really made a lot of people look back and think of what they have had and more importantly what they have got.

If I was never to sail again I would still be thankful for all the past cruises we have done ,which some people will never have the chance of doing and can only dream of such things .:classic_smile: 

Edited by kalos
  • Like 8

I'm thankful that I've retired from work, so haven't got to worry about losing my job or being furloughed.

We are comfortable in our house, and are preparing ourselves to be dug in for a long winter - thankful to have the resources to do this.  

Thankful for the cruise memories and that we were fortunate enough to have experienced it all.

• Like 8

I have more cruises book for next year than I usually go on in 6 years! Just confident that they are good to go or an unexpected windfall. 

I’ve done pretty much all the Christmas shopping!

My old boss has been replaced by a new boss who is a million times better and my working life is once again enjoyable. 

Hubby works from home as well as me and we are loving it (I worked from home for 11 years previous to this). 

We just got a dog stroller for one of my elderly dogs and we are able to get out and about much more easily now and they both love using it - this has been a life changer for us!

I’m very happy about all of the above!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

He looks friendly.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Esprit said:

My reason for being cheerful is.....

Cadbury's creme eggs will be back in the shops shortly!

Mmmmm Cadbury’s cream eggs!! My favourite!! 

I can feel a craving developing.....got to go need to check out the cupboard for chocolate

Michelle

• Like 2

My reason to be cheerful is that I have  warm home that I love almost as much as I love my husband.  I am part of a great support group that I call "my sisters ".  I have no worries about being able to afford the basics plus anything else that I want or need.

My great-niece called me earlier to go to fetch her so that she could come to spend some time with us.  Much as I love her I am glad that I have now taken her back 😂😂

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here's an odd one, maybe - a peaceful, quiet Christmas with no driving involved, the chance to drink some champagne and vintage port (not mixed, though that might be an interesting combination) for once on Christmas Day, lunch finished and cleared away by early afternoon, usual light Christmas tea, and a good film in the evening.

Not at all what we usually do - at least, not since 1979 before the children came along - but it's still going to be a very good day!  🎅

• Like 5