CDC Lifts Cruise Ban

molly361

31 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

You have a very good point.  Back in March, there had been a total less than 1,000 deaths in the US when my brother became one of them.   There were too many people that seem to think it was going to stay on the coasts and middle of country would not be effected very much.

My sympathies for the loss of your brother Blizzard, and yes I agree people thought the rural areas would tell a different tale.

10 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

RCG has completed item 1 (that was part of the Healthy Sail Panel), as for point 2, I am not 100% sure what the EDC form is, but it should have no effect on the initial ships attempt to return to revenue cruises, because I feel the few ships to be used in this phase of the restart are already in US waters.

I view the Healthy Sail Panel report as the executive summary section of a 500 page document.  A good overview that needs to be backed up with a lot of nitty gritty details.

I have a dentist who spent $50k on special UV ventilated offices to protect clients. I do not have much faith in cruise lines to protect me or anyone else given prior COVID experiences. There are simply too many variables in becoming infected. The CDC recently changed the guidance from one 15 minute or longer exposure to multiple short term exposures. How much testing will occur? After all rapid tests are not all that reliable and they are merely a snapshot in time. After being infected you can be pre-symptomatic for 2-5 days and infectious for 10-14 days with or without symptoms. If you become ill with COVID on a ship, the line will do what it always does, put you ashore and then you may get inferior medical care. A lot to consider for a vacation.

Edited by 169degrees
poor grammar

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Exactly, even though it was technically 8 days I think most knew that 7 day and 7 night referred to the same thing. 

Just wanted to be sure. I have 3 B2B cruises booked for 2021. Luckily no air involved so if need be I can always cancel one of each. 

It might have been asked in this tread before and you will excuse me for asking but does anyone think a vaccine will shorten the CDC Nov 1, 2021 guideline to an earlier date when the general population would have received it and of course those willing to take the vaccine?

Edited by smalltimecruiser100

47 minutes ago, 169degrees said:

I have a dentist who spent $50k on special UV ventilated offices to protect clients. I do not have much faith in cruise lines to protect me or anyone else given prior COVID experiences. There are simply too many variables in becoming infected. The CDC recently changed the guidance from one 15 minute or longer exposure to multiple short term exposures. How much testing will occur? After all rapid tests are not all that reliable and they are merely a snapshot in time. After being infected you can be pre-symptomatic for 2-5 days and infectious for 10-14 days with or without symptoms. If you become ill with COVID on a ship, the line will do what it always does, put you ashore and then you may get inferior medical care. A lot to consider for a vacation.

Your dentist wasted $50K, there is zero scientific evidence that UV ventilation does anything (nor is there any evidence the virus can live in or be spread by heating and cooling air handlers)

Edited by not-enough-cruising

Anyone who is over seventy years old that steps on a cruise ship without being vaccinated is out of their mind. A cruise ship is a perfect breeding ground for Covid-19. If you want to risk dying an ugly death by all means cruise before you are vaccinated.

7 minutes ago, Elliotbay said:

Anyone who is over seventy years old that steps on a cruise ship without being vaccinated is out of their mind. A cruise ship is a perfect breeding ground for Covid-19. If you want to risk dying an ugly death by all means cruise before you are vaccinated.

So, you believe a vaccine to a "virus" that the survival rate is 99.98% will save the world?  I'll remind you that the MAJORITY of deaths that the CDC claim had pre-existing conditions.  Dying FROM Covid and WITH Covid are two very different things.  

Bottom line is that if you do not wish to cruise, then don't.  When the lockdown ended, no one said you SHOULD go outside - that was a decision that YOU made.  Go out, or stay home.  Take a vaccine or not.  If millions take the vaccine and millions don't, those that did shouldn't be upset that others didn't, since they believe it works, there is no worry..... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Your dentist wasted $50K, there is zero scientific evidence that UV ventilation does anything (nor is there any evidence the virus can live in or be spread by heating and cooling air handlers)

Well 1 out of 3 ain't bad.  There is now evidence that UV light is effective against Covid 19.  Many building codes require UV filtering for other reasons, so I wouldn't say they wasted their money.  I don't know of any evidence that the virus is spread through HVAC.  

Just read thru that document again and since they have to complete their simulated sailing(s) before applying for the conditional sailing permit maybe after we hear when those will happen we can start to try and get a better timeline of when revenue sailings will begin.

Thinking that December sailings  will get cancelled this week

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

CDC controls the rules so I doubt it will be changed. I’m cancelling my March cruise before final payment, for many reasons and we love to cruise. 

Question: Given the rise of the anti cruise ship movements will the CDC ever change the guidelines? Even after the vaccine is taken into the herd immunity levels which I think they will get to with blackmail of population no indoor sporting events no indoor drinking ever again etc etc until they get to the levels they want. If they don't change the guidelines this is the death kneel of the industry.

17 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I read the entire document and am not happy about the possibility of a shipwide lockdown if a single case of Covid pops up.  Not appealing at all.  I just emailed C&A and told them if this rule stays I will be cancelling a March cruise before the final payment is due in December. 

And does that single case pop up among staff from the PREVIOUS CRUISE? That is a prospect that cannot be prevented unless you are willing to switch out crews after each cruise. But you can't do that I suspect as you probably don't have enough trained people or the facilities to train rotating replacements.

Technically yes the CDC ban expired on October 31st. Realistically other stipulation were put into place/action that still prevents cruises from sailing. So in essence not much changed. "No sailing " until the CDC gives their approval after ALL the criteria is meet.

Slight progress because the cruise lines have a clear picture. It is now up to them to show the CDC they are willing to accept the demands.

Hows that go "It ain't over till it's over".

The key here is the CDC seems to be requiring the Cruise Industry to be responsible for infections onboard. This was in the first 2 NSO and ignored. It’s suggested that the Cruise Industry contract their own healthcare facilities and quarantine locations for those that are sick/positive after boarding. 

The CDC doesn’t want the Cruise Lines to dump off positive/sick people who were infected onboard. The CDC is protecting us (US). The CDC doesn’t want to burden the US with positive/sick people from a Cruise. I agree with this. 

This is potentially the biggest hurdle for the industry. It was ignored twice now. Interesting to see what the Cruise Lines will address this. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

That assumes that they indeed got sick on board and they are not US citizens with health insurance.

I don’t think it matters IMO. 

Positive is positive. Doesn’t matter where they were infected as long as they were onboard the ship. 

Cruisers will need to assume the risk. 

M8

20 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Couldn't agree more. I'm not going to be on the trail vaccine either. It's amazing that people keep booking cruises  even knowing that it can be cut short or the itinerary can change or it may not sail at all.  All of the things that I liked about cruising has diminished beyond anything enjoyable.  My wife keeps banking vacation time. Between working from home for 6 months and not being able to visit her mother in Florida there is no point in taking time off. I guess all of the retirees in Florida are tired of staying home so even a cruise to Hell would look appealing.

We are early retirees in Florida and a "cruise to hell" is definitely not appealing to us. We are not anxious to rush back to cruising under the current CDC restrictions. We have moved the cruises we had booked to later in 2021 and 2022. I anticipate continued cancellations and itinerary changes as cruising will need to resume slowly and gradually. We'll be very interested in the reviews and comments of those that sail the beginning cruises. If we feel we can no longer have the cruise experience we have enjoyed in the past, we will continue to cancel or move our cruises. 

• Like 6

Not only are all of the ships registered in foreign countries (non-U.S. flag), the corporation is domiciled in and under the laws of Liberia. See below ...

UNITED STATES
SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION

WASHINGTON, D.C. 20549

FORM 8-K

CURRENT REPORT

Pursuant To Section 13 or 15(d) of The Securities Exchange Act of 1934

Date of report (Date of earliest event reported): October 16, 2020

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD.  
  (Exact Name of Registrant as Specified in Charter)  

Republic of Liberia

(State or Other Jurisdiction of Incorporation)

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

They should have been cancelled weeks ago. They should be knocking off January now.

NCL just cancelled cruises for December and Carnival has removed December cruises out of Miami from their website. RC should announce their December cruises shortly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

NCL just cancelled cruises for December and Carnival has removed December cruises out of Miami from their website. RC should announce their December cruises shortly. 

And RCI always has to be last because.....

• Like 6