Volunteer Passengers?

ipeeinthepool

1 hour ago, Tigrou said:

It didn't stop people from the UK being on the recent SeaDream cruise.  All the government advice means is that we're unlikely to get travel insurance cover, it doesn't ban people from cruising. 

Personally I wouldn't travel without insurance but many people do, and I expect will continue to do so despite coronavirus.  

Yes, and it’s bigger than insurance.  For Canadians (and I expect it’s much the same for the British) traveling while there are advisories against non-essential travel and avoid cruise ship travel could mean little or no access to government/consular aid or assistance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

Exactly, so we will ban ourselves!  I can only assume that people who risk travelling without insurance cover are wealthy enough to get themselves out of bother if things go wrong. 

Unfortunately in recent years the trend seems to be that they expect others to pay for their poor decisions, by appealing for money through social media and 'crowdfunding' sites.  

20 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

Unfortunately in recent years the trend seems to be that they expect others to pay for their poor decisions, by appealing for money through social media and 'crowdfunding' sites.  

I don’t think it should be optional. If you want to travel then you should be prepared to pay to protect yourself from getting into a situation where you need to ask for help from complete strangers. I am happy to give some of my hard earned money to charities and to people in desperate need. That doesn’t include holidaymakers who are not prepared to cover themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 2:02 PM, mom says said:

Um, you might want to start looking for a lift and shift. I think you've got about a .01% chance of that cruise sailing.

Well it is one month from Jan. 1, 2021 and still no word on cancelling my cruise on the Apex Jan. 2-9, 2021! I called Celebrity today about this and was told mid morning they would be making an announcement in a few hours. I have not seen or heard another thing - anyone else????

Surely TOMORROW they will announce - I have flights and hotels to cancel! And again, what puzzles me is why they are ADVERTISING the Apex Jan. 2, 2021 sailing along with other 2021 dates if they have are not going to be finished with their "trial" cruises. Just doesn't make sense to me, but I sure hope I hear something definitive soon though I think I pretty much know now that I will not be cruising.

And I have been working on a back up plan/trip and it sure is hard to try and make reservations when I don't know for SURE.

19 minutes ago, luv2cruise391 said:

Well it is one month from Jan. 1, 2021 and still no word on cancelling my cruise on the Apex Jan. 2-9, 2021! I called Celebrity today about this and was told mid morning they would be making an announcement in a few hours. I have not seen or heard another thing - anyone else????

Surely TOMORROW they will announce - I have flights and hotels to cancel! And again, what puzzles me is why they are ADVERTISING the Apex Jan. 2, 2021 sailing along with other 2021 dates if they have are not going to be finished with their "trial" cruises. Just doesn't make sense to me, but I sure hope I hear something definitive soon though I think I pretty much know now that I will not be cruising.

And I have been working on a back up plan/trip and it sure is hard to try and make reservations when I don't know for SURE.

This is what is so frustrating about Celebrity Corporate.  I love and only sail on Celebrity, and while their CSR team, in my experience the past few months, are fantastic and very helpful.  They can only be as helpful as they can with the information they have to share.  Celebrity Corporate needs to step up their game!

12 hours ago, luv2cruise391 said:

From all appearances, it is a safe bet that you need to move on to plan B...

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2020 at 8:07 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

I also thought that being overweight was also a significant risk for COVID.   Guess any extra weight hurts your major organs.   We need to know what is considered overweight and what is obese.   In the past I heard a BMI of 25-28 is considered overweight and 29 and over is considered obese but I have seen those numbers change from one site to another.   Guess it is time to start dieting but would like to know the target.

It would be more helpful for them to finally revise the BMI. Almost every expert agrees that it is absurd - you have Olympians who fall in the "Obese" category because of their muscle mass.

On 10/30/2020 at 2:52 PM, Life Buoy said:

At some point they need to expand the test group to those passengers at some risk so they can see if their procedures really work. 

Sorry, but I would certainly hope they would not do such a thing.  I cannot even imagine.  What would be next?  Infect people on purpose to test the protocols?  As far as I know they are not even doing that during the controlled vaccine trials.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:15 AM, sanger727 said:

yes, he told me that they are using saline. I'm just telling you what they told him. That the study is scheduled for 2 years and they do not intend "break the blind" when the vaccine is initially released. However, he if/when he is able  to get the vaccine he will be free to leave the trial and get it if he likes. He is 90% sure he has received the placebo so I'm sure that is what he will do. 

How would he have any idea that he was given the placebo?  And to be able to apply a %?

On 11/9/2020 at 8:58 AM, sanger727 said:

I'm just reporting what he was told. They aren't planning on breaking the blind that quickly to get longer term results. They won't tell you whether you had the vaccine or placebo, which means that when the vaccine becomes available you could potential get double vaccinated. Perhaps when everyone starts leaving the study they will reconsider this. Just know that as of right now he plans to leave the study when the vaccine becomes available because he believes he got the placebo. 

I doubt whether anyone has studied the effects of two different vaccines, just in case his crystal ball is defective.

15 hours ago, luv2cruise391 said:

Hard to imagine that both Celebrity and you think that there is any chance that a cruise will depart from the US in less than a month.  I assume you are not cancelling, because you are hoping to take advantage of some kind of compensation from Celebrity?

I am in no way defending Celebrity.  IMO the fact that they have not already cancelled is terrible.  The only possible explanation is that they are putting the burden on the customer to cancel.  Not working for you.

Edited by jagoffee