All inclusive

Happy Cruiser 6143

I have a cruise on Silhouette on March 14 2021

Final payment is Dec 4th. Celebrity won't allow me to L & S

When I try searched for cruises I found all with AI and are over price.

I guess I have to cancel the cruise. 

I will never book a cruise with AI with these prices.

12 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I never use wi fi. My phone goes into the safe as soon as we board, and I don't bring a lap top or I Pad.

So now they want me to pay for something I don't use. No Thanks, there are other cruise lines that are comparable to X without the outlandish prices.

I do understand your view so don't get me wrong here.  In my mind, there are lots of things included in cruises and elsewhere that you and I sometimes don't use. On a cruise I hardly ever use the fitness center (yes-true) or I avoid the hot tubs by the pool.   All used for free by others as part of the amenities. It never occurs to me that I am paying more for things I don't use.  For WiFi, I think the difference is that it was an upcharge before but now included in an overall higher price.  So that is a change that is not so subtle.  Your pre-cruise hotel possibly included free WiFi or the restaurant you dined in included free WiFi too.  Will you decide not to stay there because you will not use it and you think you are paying more for it for somebody else?  I am just going to focus on the overall value of AI or whatever other program gets put in place.  If I don't think it works for me I will choose not to spend my money on it and go elsewhere.  I don't get concerned about what was included or charged in the past as it really doesn't matter to my going forward situation.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The ships are now so dependent on everyone having and using a smart phone.  Daily newsletter is considered redundant because of the onboard app.  You can use your phone to turn on the lights and open the infinite veranda.  You can make reservations with the app.  Adding a streaming wifi package ($119 for 7 days if purchased for full price) makes a bit more sense than adding an expensive drinks package to the fare--even if non-drinkers can get soft drinks and coffees with the package.  Of course, you don't need the wifi package to use the onboard app. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

True.  And its astonishing that RCL stock is over $80 a share despite no earnings for the foreseeable future.

Its astonishing RCL Stock gave me  FREE business class flight every year.

People who follow my post should make some money.

Edited by verizon

2 hours ago, basenji56 said:

???  How did that work?

Guessing they use the gains from the stock to purchase business class upgrades.  Otherwise, if first class is important to you, pick one major airline and always fly within the alliance to build status and receive free upgrades.  May pay more upfront but will save by receiving free upgrades assuming that's important to you.

4 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Always have trouble taking CIA stats seriously.   They claim cruising generates $25T in economic activity despite having only $30B in direct revenue.  Total travel and tourism revenue worldwide only totalled $2.9T last year.

• Like 1

I also enjoy planning for a cruise.   There are flights before and after and hotels before and after the cruise.    I always plan for two or three days pre cruise in Europe so we get over jet lag and enjoy the city we are departing from.   I also reserve. Transfers to/from the airport and to/from the cruise.
I have had 5 cruises canceled through 2021 but only had the plans made for three of them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, basenji56 said:

The ships are now so dependent on everyone having and using a smart phone.  Daily newsletter is considered redundant because of the onboard app.  You can use your phone to turn on the lights and open the infinite veranda.  You can make reservations with the app.  Adding a streaming wifi package ($119 for 7 days if purchased for full price) makes a bit more sense than adding an expensive drinks package to the fare--even if non-drinkers can get soft drinks and coffees with the package.  Of course, you don't need the wifi package to use the onboard app. 

We also place our phones in the safe during the cruise...we choose not to be tethered to it  for things that can be accomplished without it..like opening doors and turning on the lights.  We managed fine on EDGE for two cruises.. our tablet is used only for reading and a few e mails..It is not compatible with the Celebrity  app.

As E + we  received abundant internet minutes..used on our tablet to check in at home a few times.  We never take that as a perk..usually opting for the Classic Alcohol and gratuities or OBC...So it seems we may pay more for items that were covered if we book non suite class.   Our last ( and only existing booking ) is entry level suite but we took ALL the perks for that one...

Once we use our FCC  we will evaluate future cruises...hopefully from port of Tampa on an updated ship!

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Well that's unfortunate for you that you want everything done for you.  Planning means "learning" about the places you land to visit.  When we cruise the cruise is only the vehicle to get us to where we want to go, planning ports and planning visiting where the cruise  begins and ends is involved too. And YES it is fun to learn about new places in the world.  

Who here said anything about being rich?  Smart with how we choose to spend our money, sure, but not rich. If I choose to spend 5-10K on a suite to have a marvelous 2 week vacation once a year then that's fine.  If you choose to book an oceanview for $1K and do it 10 times a year that's fine for you too. 

We all make choices based on what we want not what we think someone else thinks we should want. You should do the same, enjoy your cruises but no need to criticize how others choose to enjoy theirs. 

Gracie115 he is just trying to bait everybody here.  I guess he finds it very amusing.  Some on this thread appear to enjoy the back and forth as comedy relief.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

hcat it will be curious to see if Celebrity abandons Tampa if they do indeed transfer Connie to Pulmantur.

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"  Mark Twain

How many reports have there been over the years that two M Class ships will be sold? I guess one of these days it will be true.

36 minutes ago, Orator said:

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"  Mark Twain

How many reports have there been over the years that two M Class ships will be sold? I guess one of these days it will be true.

Yes agree but these reports are perhaps a bit different.  This is according to multiple news sources including here on CC News today.  The two as yet undisclosed M-Class ships are not being sold.  They are being transferred within the parent RCG corporation within their subsidiary cruise lines.  A solution to resolve the reorganization of Pullmantur and keep them in business post-pandemic.  It was disclosed in court filings in Spain as part of the financial plans for reorganization.  Stay tuned.  Of course the courts still need to accept the plan.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes agree but these reports are perhaps a bit different.  This is according to multiple news sources including here on CC News today.  The two as yet undisclosed M-Class ships are not being sold.  They are being transferred within the parent RCG corporation within their subsidiary cruise lines.  A solution to resolve the reorganization of Pullmantur and keep them in business post-pandemic.  It was disclosed in court filings in Spain as part of the financial plans for reorganization.  Stay tuned.  Of course the courts still need to accept the plan.

of course a transfer might be possible and it might make sense if RCL wants Celebrity to reduce debt. Didn't RCL use the Celebrity fleet as collateral for their financing?  That would require some changes in their financing agreement and perhaps a restructuring of debt.

8 minutes ago, Orator said:

of course a transfer might be possible and it might make sense if RCL wants Celebrity to reduce debt. Didn't RCL use the Celebrity fleet as collateral for their financing?  That would require some changes in their financing agreement and perhaps a restructuring of debt.

Not so sure since Pullmantur is part of RCG (49% ownership) and perhaps the reorganization and transfer of ships gives them either majority or even full ownership when the dust settles.  We are going to see the financial earthquakes from this pandemic for years to come.  It is all interesting!

23 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Not so sure since Pullmantur is part of RCG (49% ownership) and perhaps the reorganization and transfer of ships gives them either majority or even full ownership when the dust settles.  We are going to see the financial earthquakes from this pandemic for years to come.  It is all interesting!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pullmantur Cruises
Pullmantur 2013 logo.svg
Industry Cruises
Founded 2000
Defunct 2020
Headquarters Madrid, Spain
Area served
Caribbean
Mediterranean
Northern Europe.
Owner Springwater Capital (51%)
Royal Caribbean Group (49%)

Pullmantur Cruises is a cruise line headquartered in Madrid, Spain.[1] It began operations in the late 1990s as an offshoot of the Madrid-based travel agency Pullmantur. In 2006, Pullmantur Cruises, through its parent company, was purchased by U.S.-based Royal Caribbean Group,[2] but Royal Caribbean later sold a 51% stake in the cruise line to Spain-based investment firm Springwater Capital, retaining a 49% stake.[3]

Pullmantur Cruises is the largest Spain-based cruise line. The company mainly markets to Spanish passengers, although cruises are also sold by some travel operators outside the Spanish-speaking world. Some of the company's ships operate an "all-inclusive" product, where some extras, such as brand alcoholic beverages, are included in the cruise price.[2] Originally, most Pullmantur ships do not operate cruises for the company during the northern hemisphere winter season. Instead, they are either laid up or under charter to other cruise lines, such as the Brazil-based Viagens CVC.[2]

On 22 June 2020, due to the economic impact caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, Pullmantur's owners announced they had filed for reorganization of Pullmantur under Spanish insolvency laws.[4]

Pullmantur under Administration review could restart with MV Horizon, laid up in Eleusis Bay, and two Celebrity Millennium class cruise ships.[5]

2 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Back to the point. What about the people who are under 21 and by law, can’t consume alcohol, is it fair to them? I doubt that Celebrity will care as long as they get their money.

The nonalcoholic package is not the answer.

Yep, if departing from US, no matter where they go, 21+ to have a drink.  Even the non-alcoholic package is expensive, they should fix that, but...

57 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Back to the point. What about the people who are under 21 and by law, can’t consume alcohol, is it fair to them? I doubt that Celebrity will care as long as they get their money.

The nonalcoholic package is not the answer.

This could be seen as a way to make Celebrity more of an adult only cruise line without mandating that.  

As you point out, the drinks package is the real issue here.  Celebrity charges $59 per person--plus a 20% tip-- for the regular drink package.  $141.60 a day per cabin.  $991 for a seven day cruise--without kids.

This amount probably won't be fully added to the all-included cruise price--but a lot of will be.  This is especially expensive if you are bringing a few kids on the cruise.

As others have said, people need to compare what they are willing to pay for a cruise and choose accordingly.  For those who drink and already buy the package, this is not a big deal.  For those who don't drink and watch what they spend, it will be.

Disney (for younger kids) and Royal (for older kids) make much more sense at these prices.

Edited by basenji56

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

This could be seen as a way to make Celebrity more of an adult only cruise line without mandating that.  

As you point out, the drinks package is the real issue here.  Celebrity charges $59 per person--plus a 20% tip-- for the regular drink package.  $141.60 a day per cabin.  $991 for a seven day cruise--without kids.

This amount probably won't be fully added to the all-included cruise price--but a lot of will be.  This is especially expensive if you are bringing a few kids on the cruise.

As others have said, people need to compare what they are willing to pay for a cruise and choose accordingly.  For those who drink and already buy the package, this is not a big deal.  For those who don't drink and watch what they spend, it will be.

Disney (for younger kids) and Royal (for older kids) make much more sense at these prices.

Kind of off topic here...but seeing you mention Disney.  We have 2 retired couple friends, both in their 60's who are Disney aficionados to the max!  They have WDW time share where they spend 4 weeks a year, and when in the mood, they may invite their kids and grandkids.  They also will only sail on Disney Cruise Line, 2-3x per year.  They obviously love it, but it is such a great point of tease fun for our group of friends.  

52 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Kind of off topic here...but seeing you mention Disney.  We have 2 retired couple friends, both in their 60's who are Disney aficionados to the max!  They have WDW time share where they spend 4 weeks a year, and when in the mood, they may invite their kids and grandkids.  They also will only sail on Disney Cruise Line, 2-3x per year.  They obviously love it, but it is such a great point of tease fun for our group of friends.  

I sailed on Disney once.  Good experience even though we didn't have kids with us.  Entertainment was very good (as you would expect).  Food was decent but not as good as Celebrity.  MDR was traditional seating and rotated between three dining rooms with same wait staff.  Ship was beautiful and very well maintained. Private island was outstanding. Price was probably twice that of Celebrity (at least before the AI pricing on Celebrity).