All inclusive

Happy Cruiser 6143

7 minutes ago, Orator said:

But what is the best way for Celebrity to insure that better times will be ahead? I think that Celebrity should hear reasoned reaction to their plans so that they may reevaluate if convinced that they are making a mistake. Hearing opinions contrary to yours can be helpful in making a decision. I have offered an opinion with some options and up to Celebrity to discuss it or not. React to it or not. I firmly believe that going "with the flow" when you disagree with the direction of the flow is a disservice. I know that you want Celebrity to be successful as much as I do.

I was suggesting that we give X some time to see how their new plans go.

You are telling them you know better and that they are going in the wrong direction.

That is your opinion.

For better or worse, they have made their decision and it will either succeed or fail.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Are they having any focus groups with customers or TAs,  or just relying on their new ( probably overpaid) marketing guru..flavor of the month????

Unfortunately, probably not. I do agree that they probably way overpaid the marketing company, which did not serve them well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orator said:

... the AI pricing, I believe will impact the non suite passenger's decision to cruise with Celebrity. Many of the posters have claimed that the new price structure would price them out of Celebrity. What I would suggest is that Celebrity develop a two tier pricing structure for non suites. On would give passengers an opportunity to purchase a AI cruise at a very good price; the other would be a cruise only option with addons available. Passengers feeling that they have a choice will increase business. I have said for years that Celebrity really lacks PR savvy and I think that the current marketing approach combined with the perception that they don't really care about loyal customers serves to prove what I've been saying. 

Thank you VERY much for writing these things, "Orator."  We wholeheartedly agree with you -- and we believe that your word carries a lot of weight within CruiseCritic.

57 minutes ago, Orator said:

But what is the best way for Celebrity to insure that better times will be ahead? I think that Celebrity should hear reasoned reaction to their plans so that they may reevaluate if convinced that they are making a mistake. Hearing opinions contrary to yours can be helpful in making a decision. ... I firmly believe that going "with the flow" when you disagree with the direction of the flow is a disservice. I know that you want Celebrity to be successful as much as I do.  [emphasis added by jg51]

We have been LONGING to read things like this for many days ... and now finally we are seeing it.  Your words, "Orator," are SO gratifying.

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Bookings are apparently through the roof.  Going to be interesting to see who they have to say, sorry no cruise for you, we can only sail at x% capacity.

Hopefully it will not be us and our group on a Med sailing next year, if that ship sails....

bon voyage

3 hours ago, Orator said:

Sorry to disagree with your position, but I see this move driving away those who have been their core passengers for many years as evidenced from much of the discussion on these boards. They could probably get away with given a few extra perks to suite passengers and substantially raising prices for suites. They have been in great demand before the  suspension of cruising and most likely would continue to be in demand. Those who want "the suite life" will pay almost anything to meet their wants. However the AI pricing, I believe will impact the non suite passenger's decision to cruise with Celebrity. Many of the posters have claimed that the new price structure would price them out of Celebrity. What I would suggest is that Celebrity develop a two tier pricing structure for non suites. On would give passengers an opportunity to purchase a AI cruise at a very good price; the other would be a cruise only option with addons available. Passengers feeling that they have a choice will increase business. I have said for years that Celebrity really lacks PR savvy and I think that the current marketing approach combined with the perception that they don't really care about loyal customers serves to prove what I've been saying. 

Not all suite passengers will pay any price.  I sail in suites when the prices are (in my view) reasonable.  Plus it was speeding my path to Zenith.  Now that's no longer a goal since all the perks (with perhaps the exception of a free cruise in a balcony cabin) are gone.  The current suite prices are definitely not reasonable.  We shall see how that plays out for Celebrity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

We have been LONGING to read things like this for many days ... and now finally we are seeing it.  Your words, "Orator," are SO gratifying.

Celebrity won't change their mind.  Aren't you done with them anyway?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Celebrity won't change their mind.  Aren't you done with them anyway?

They will if this grand new scheme of theirs does not produce the number of bookings they want.  Either that, or they will go under.  

My May Summit cruise to Bermuda and Charleston was just cancelled.  I fully expect my August Summit cruises to Iceland and Greenland to be cancelled as well, since all were over 7 nights.  When that happens, I will have no cruises booked with Celebrity.  And it will stay that way until things settle down.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

2 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

In the FWIW dept, the value of the Zenith free cruise can be applied toward another cruise.  I suppose it will have a higher $ value to apply to a correspondingly inflated cruise price.

I understand that.  If the free Zenith cruise still exists under the new regime.  That was not a big motivation to me.  I was more looking forward to booking cruises without having to worry about whether or not they included any "perks," since the "perks" were included for Zenith.  And although I am not fond of the "new, improved" Michael's Club, that was a good place to meet people.

41 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

From what I think I remember it was a $200k consulting firm from the UK.

$200K almost sounds low quite frankly with. project this size

X has so much data that they look at everyday that outlines who (in a bigger sense of the word) people are, what they spend and what they do onboard.  How much time in the room, out in a bar, excursions etc. They are not making this blindly.  My daughter works for a nationwide venue related company that knows everything about the guest experience - daily, weekly, quarterly and yearly.  They slice the data in 100 different ways

They are allowed to take perks away from "cheap elites"  drink free drinks forever and use that money for attracting new pax that will spend money.  They will probably look at annual spend for maintaining status and get away from conferring lifetime perks for only the very top (based revenue)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tfred said:

$200K almost sounds low quite frankly with. project this size

X has so much data that they look at everyday that outlines who (in a bigger sense of the word) people are, what they spend and what they do onboard.  How much time in the room, out in a bar, excursions etc. They are not making this blindly.  My daughter works for a nationwide venue related company that knows everything about the guest experience - daily, weekly, quarterly and yearly.  They slice the data in 100 different ways

They are allowed to take perks away from "cheap elites"  drink free drinks forever and use that money for attracting new pax that will spend money.  They will probably look at annual spend for maintaining status and get away from conferring lifetime perks for only the very top (based revenue)

Indeed, it is called capitalism 101.  Make a profit, give enough "free" things away to a few so they keep coming back, but offer more to those willing or wanting to pay for it.  It is not new folks, Celebrity did not invent it, been going on for years and years and each and every one of us has been a participant in one way or another.  If we don't like the product any longer, we simply have a choice to move along.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Bookings are apparently through the roof.  Going to be interesting to see who they have to say, sorry no cruise for you, we can only sail at x% capacity.

I would bet a vast majority of the new booking are people using their fccs. It also would be interesting if passenger load is based the same as the past or the 50-60% predicted because of the virus.

1 minute ago, grandgeezer said:

I would bet a vast majority of the new booking are people using their fccs. It also would be interesting if passenger load is based the same as the past or the 50-60% predicted because of the virus.

Agreed.  With so many FCCs still out there, it will take qite a bit of time for them to figure out what the real future will look like once they are gone.  Though they do trach new bookings v FCC's of course.  Into the computer the info goes and churn out the answer.

X knows full well that some long term cruisers do not like change and dealt with the backlash from the Edge class.  At the moment, all an US citizen needs is a face cover and a passport then they can fly into Mexico and stay in an AI.  No covid test or temperature check required.  Mexico uses a color code system and can vary based on the resorts location but they're all AIs are at limited capacity and most attractions are open.  Better yet, you're free to explore the area on your terms, can go self guided or hire your choice of a tour operator.  Some other countries are open to Americans if you bring an approved negative Covid test.  Whether or not one likes AIs or not, they're definitely more attractive than ever.  Perhaps this is a motivating force for the always included pricing?

There is a reason why marketing and brand creation companies charge huge rates and retainers, because marketing companies offer the most value to brands like Celebrity.

Also marketing companies pay a premium to their employees, where average salaries are 90k plus per head we need to train companies like Celebrity that marketing firms are worth it. I work in marketing and its my job to convince buyers that our services are worth the 200k per presentation. 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, MarinerBoy said:

There is a reason why marketing and brand creation companies charge huge rates and retainers, because marketing companies offer the most value to brands like Celebrity.

Also marketing companies pay a premium to their employees, where average salaries are 90k plus per head we need to train companies like Celebrity that marketing firms are worth it. I work in marketing and its my job to convince buyers that our services are worth the 200k per presentation. 

😂

I hear people on the board calling marketing "over paid" yet I can't think of a service more valuable, more sought after and more impact full than a properly put marketing presentation that takes dozens sometimes even hundreds of hours to compose. In the 21st century business world marketing, data collection and trend research is absolute king. It's why mellenials like my self can afford to travel first class because we have jobs like these which pay so much more than people think.

• Haha 3

I would think that with the various options  Celebrity has offered over the past few years ( no perks 1 free perk, 2 free and add 2 for $, 3 perks, etc) they have a lot of data on the broader customer base and what they  want and are willing to pay for, not just the 5-10% who are on CC.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

I would think that with the various options  Celebrity has offered over the past few years ( no perks 1 free perk, 2 free and add 2 for $, 3 perks, etc) they have a lot of data on the broader customer base and what they  want and are willing to pay for, not just the 5-10% who are on CC.  

I wonder if they have data on the gelato