Does NCL serve Lobster

FSUDAVE

the last time we had lobster was in the main dining room about 5 years back. that being said, it was only the tail, which looked suspiciously like a jumbo shrimp on steroids.however, check the menu at cagneys, they may offer it as an add on to another meal for an additional price. 

• Haha 1

Last time we cruised, it was available for an upcharge in Bayamo on The Escape. I paid for it and thought it was pretty good, but I don't cruise for lobster. It was our last night of specialty dining and we had a little OBC to burn. It was a nice treat. 

NCL used to serve warm water rock lobsters in the MDRs.  These are a different species from cold water lobsters.  They have tail meat only and are generally small.  If properly prepared, they can be tasty.  I had friends who hunted and grilled them when I lived in Miami.  In the MDRs, they were chewy and largely flavorless.  They are no loss—many better options.  

43 minutes ago, HowardK said:

I wouldn't expect them to return either- based on them cutting lox from the breakfast buffet. I am sure they will be recovering financially for awhile and will need to unfortunately eliminate some things. 

It's there...just not out on display on the buffet. You have to ask the right person and they'll get it for you.

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It's there...just not out on display on the buffet. You have to ask the right person and they'll get it for you.

Last fall it was also available daily in the MDRs, complete with bagel, cream cheese, onion, etc.

I was told that they discontinued the lobster tail in the buffet because people were taking something like 8 at a time and it was unsustainable for the cruise line. Maybe they should have issued a voucher one per person to redeem. I think they were caught unprepared.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, HowardK said:

I wouldn't expect them to return either- based on them cutting lox from the breakfast buffet. I am sure they will be recovering financially for awhile and will need to unfortunately eliminate some things. 

We talked to a couple of executive chefs on ships right after this was done. They said that the smoked salmon was removed from the buffet to try and get more people, who really wanted it, to use the MDR and reduce the crowds in the buffet. It was explicitly *not* done as a cost cutting measure. And they noted a significant up-tick in salmon orders in the MDR after the change, so it had some effect. 

On 11/23/2020 at 11:05 AM, PelicanBill said:

Note that lobster availability in Ocean Blue can be subject to price & availability in the departure port.  Twice on cruises from NYC lobster was not available for 3 days.  Then magically it was available after stopping in Florida.

NYC-based Caribbean cruises are provisioned in Port Canaveral. So, while the passengers sail R/T NY, the fresh food get put on once you reach Florida (i.e., wait until after Florida to eat the sushi,,, the stuff on the ship when you board has been sailing for nearly a week). In fact, a lot of other NYC-based cruises get their bulk provisions trucked up from Florida (fresh stuff is provisioned locally). NCL has a lot of buying power by provisioning all of their Florida and east-coast ships from a central facility buying in massive bulk. And it is much cheaper to truck food from Florida than buying and provisioning locally in NYC. And, in your case, since the ship calls in Florida, they do all of the provisioning there and little/none in NYC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:
On 11/23/2020 at 11:05 AM, PelicanBill said:

NYC-based Caribbean cruises are provisioned in Port Canaveral. 

NYC-based Caribbean cruises do not  get provisioned in Port Canaveral because they don't call at Port Canaveral. IIRC they haven't called at PC for years. The only NYC-based cruises that currently call at Port Canaveral are those that go to the Bahamas. If you look at every NYC-based Itinerary offered from January 2021 through October of 2023, not a single Caribbean cruise calls at PC.

• Like 1