Just had a thought/fear

ScottC4746

• ScottC4746 changed the title to Just had a thought/fear

Nothing wrong with bundling up with a hot toddy as the icebergs slip by.  Near the glaciers it is always a bit cold and foggy but being outside is rewarded with wonderful views.   Everywhere else will simply depend if you have sun shine.  I have sailed in May and had wonderful weather 

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Nothing wrong with bundling up with a hot toddy as the icebergs slip by.  Near the glaciers it is always a bit cold and foggy but being outside is rewarded with wonderful views.   Everywhere else will simply depend if you have sun shine.  I have sailed in May and had wonderful weather 

Or a nice brandy.  I'm sure we can always ask for an extra blanket for the verandah if it gets too chili or bring a couple "TV" blankets from home.

You will have your warm clothing with you and will have a couple of deck blankets to snuggle up in.  With the Neptune Suite you will also have great views from your room if you don't want to go out.  While you are in port and sailing in and out of ports you will be able to be on your veranda so that you don't miss the amazing scenery.   June weather in Alaska is generally pretty nice.  The daylight hours will be about 20 hours per day and you will be able to see beautiful sunrises and sunsets from that veranda.

Just now, oaktreerb said:

You will have your warm clothing with you and will have a couple of deck blankets to snuggle up in.  With the Neptune Suite you will also have great views from your room if you don't want to go out.  While you are in port and sailing in and out of ports you will be able to be on your veranda so that you don't miss the amazing scenery.   June weather in Alaska is generally pretty nice.  The daylight hours will be about 20 hours per day and you will be able to see beautiful sunrises and sunsets from that veranda.

That sounds wonderful.  Too bad Verandahs don't come with butler service to order drinks.  Well I am across from the Neptune lounge so not too hard to get to the bars to grab a drink and quick return to the room.

When we were in Alaska last July it hit 90 degrees in Anchorage and Denali was so hot that I sweated in short sleeves.  It can get pretty darn warm in Alaska and even when you are at sea and that can happen in June.   When we cruised (on Seabourn) last summer it was quite warm even on our sea days.  In Alaska you need to be prepared for anything from chilly/rainy to warm.  Hot is rare but is sure happened last year.

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

When we were in Alaska last July it hit 90 degrees in Anchorage and Denali was so hot that I sweated in short sleeves.  It can get pretty darn warm in Alaska and even when you are at sea and that can happen in June.   When we cruised (on Seabourn) last summer it was quite warm even on our sea days.  In Alaska you need to be prepared for anything from chilly/rainy to warm.  Hot is rare but is sure happened last year.

Hank

Last summer WAS the hottest on record everywhere.

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

When we were in Alaska July 2019 it hit 90 degrees in Anchorage and Denali was so hot that I sweated in short sleeves.  It can get pretty darn warm in Alaska and even when you are at sea and that can happen in June.   When we cruised (on Seabourn) last summer it was quite warm even on our sea days.  In Alaska you need to be prepared for anything from chilly/rainy to warm.  Hot is rare but is sure happened last year.

Hank

2 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Last summer WAS the hottest on record everywhere.

I corrected my post since somebody was bound to say that the summer of 2020 had no cruises in AK.  But 2019 was a very strange summer especially in AK.  They broke all kinds of heat records and it was strange trekking around AK is short sleeves and shorts and sweating.  We were on our own (prior to the cruise) and spent a few days in Healy (not far from Denali).  We found ourselves sitting outside at a local bar/cafe until late in the evening and it was still hot.   Whether this is going to be the new norm or was an anomaly remains to be seen but it was just weird.

Hank 

1 minute ago, gknep said:

I've been on 5 Alaska cruises and have never not enjoyed my verandah. 

Nice thing about a verandah is the peace and quiet and you can get up to go get snacks, bio break, drinks and be able to return to the exact same seat without leaving something to mark it and being classified a chair hog. HA!  And I mean that in a loving way too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I corrected my post since somebody was bound to say that the summer of 2020 had no cruises in AK.  But 2019 was a very strange summer especially in AK.  They broke all kinds of heat records and it was strange trekking around AK is short sleeves and shorts and sweating.  We were on our own (prior to the cruise) and spent a few days in Healy (not far from Denali).  We found ourselves sitting outside at a local bar/cafe until late in the evening and it was still hot.   Whether this is going to be the new norm or was an anomaly remains to be seen but it was just weird.

Hank 

Another reason I want to do Alaska before it melts away.  I hope we haven't done irreversible damage to that region and that is all I am going to say on the subject so it is not a political post.  🙂 

• Like 1

On our first Alaska cruise (which was in June) we did a helicopter excursion to the Mendenhal Glacier in Juneau. It was 70 degrees at the airport and the kids from Florida were happy in their flip-flops. On top of the glacier it was (winter) cold and they were miserable.

4 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

On our first Alaska cruise (which was in June) we did a helicopter excursion to the Mendenhal Glacier in Juneau. It was 70 degrees at the airport and the kids from Florida were happy in their flip-flops. On top of the glacier it was (winter) cold and they were miserable.

I saw that excursion.  Sounds amazing but you couldn't pay me to get in one of those things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

Another reason I want to do Alaska before it melts away.  I hope we haven't done irreversible damage to that region and that is all I am going to say on the subject so it is not a political post.  🙂 

We did Alaska in July 2019. It was sunny, hot and beautiful EVERY day. BTW, the park ranger said two of the glaciers are actually GROWING.

• Like 2

I have worn shorts in Alaska.  I have worn long pants, sweaters, and windbreakers in Alaska.  I have needed an umbrella or rain gear when I didn't think such would be needed when I left the ship for a shore visit.  You pack for extremes.  You are in Alaska!  What is there that is not to be enjoyed?  

2 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

That sounds wonderful.  Too bad Verandahs don't come with butler service to order drinks.  Well I am across from the Neptune lounge so not too hard to get to the bars to grab a drink and quick return to the room.

The Neptune Lounge does not have a bar, but does have pre-dinner "make your own cocktails" for a charge about 4-6pm or so. We have not used this service since it is too early for late seating, but I think this info is reasonably correct. Maybe another poster can confirm.

Edited by PSR

We had all the right clothing, but ended up only using our balcony for an hour or so, one time, during our entire 10-night AK cruise.  It was just so much nicer being on the open top deck, to see the scenery in all directions.  We would not do a balcony again.

• Like 2