New vaccine

hollyjess

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

Thank you Josy and Pete for taking part in the trials 🙂 

Thank you for your kind words and to others who have shared the sentiments. I am just pleased that I have been able to offer my ‘services’ in this way but obviously millions of other people have also done different things that I have not been able to.

The majority of the great British public have pulled together brilliantly during this crisis.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Thank you for your kind words and to others who have shared the sentiments. I am just pleased that I have been able to offer my ‘services’ in this way but obviously millions of other people have also done different things that I have not been able to.

The majority of the great British public have pulled together brilliantly during this crisis.

Well done, my wife and I volunteered but not needed. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Just out of interest as part of your trial have you agreed to not have any other vaccine for 12 months? Friends of ours say their documents state this, which now concerns them as they could actually get the placebo therefore not be covered for 12 months after they start their trial.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

She has had her tracking device installed! 😮 Only joking. 🤣

I keep saying that's not a bad idea, if and when I develop dementia I would be delighted to have a tracking device to find where I am hiding before I die of hypothermia.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I keep saying that's not a bad idea, if and when I develop dementia I would be delighted to have a tracking device to find where I am hiding before I die of hypothermia.

What they should be doing with in seriousness in my opinion is getting the dna from the test kits and checking it against the unsolved crimes in the database. They may already have done so with the closure of the case in Kent from 1987.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What they should be doing with in seriousness in my opinion is getting the dna from the test kits and checking it against the unsolved crimes in the database. They may already have done so with the closure of the case in Kent from 1987.

Which infringes on so many personal liberties that it is never (hopefully) going to happen.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Which infringes on so many personal liberties that it is never (hopefully) going to happen.

Added to which, if you open that little can of worms you’ll cut the number of people taking tests, taking regular blood or other tests, or indeed giving blood, at a stroke.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Just out of interest as part of your trial have you agreed to not have any other vaccine for 12 months? Friends of ours say their documents state this, which now concerns them as they could actually get the placebo therefore not be covered for 12 months after they start their trial.

This is a question I asked. I was told that when we are offered a vaccination we can contact the trial ‘head office’ and ask to be ‘unblinded’ in order to take the vaccine. This would conclude the person’s participation in the trial. They did seem to think that when the roll out is well underway, it should be possible to choose which vaccine you want, although I have doubts that we will ever get to that stage, at least before Spring. Personally, I would choose the one I ‘trialled’ provided it is comparable to the others. Hope this helps even though we may just have been given an educated opinion which may not necessarily be fact.

56 minutes ago, pete14 said:

This is a question I asked. I was told that when we are offered a vaccination we can contact the trial ‘head office’ and ask to be ‘unblinded’ in order to take the vaccine. This would conclude the person’s participation in the trial. They did seem to think that when the roll out is well underway, it should be possible to choose which vaccine you want, although I have doubts that we will ever get to that stage, at least before Spring. Personally, I would choose the one I ‘trialled’ provided it is comparable to the others. Hope this helps even though we may just have been given an educated opinion which may not necessarily be fact.

Thanks for the info Pete. It will be interesting to see whether you get the same vaccine, I was reading a report suggesting that once one of the other vaccines is approved a cocktail of different vaccines could be trialled. 

5 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Thanks for the info Pete. It will be interesting to see whether you get the same vaccine, I was reading a report suggesting that once one of the other vaccines is approved a cocktail of different vaccines could be trialled. 

I am no expert but it seems logical that two different vaccines, that work in different ways, seems to make sense. Is there enough time to have limited trials of all the combinations of vaccines (only one of which is currently licensed) to see whether any increase protection and have no harmful side effects when taken together or 3 weeks apart? Apparently we have ordered enough vaccine to allow for further trials in this direction, but I suspect that it will be a long time before they have sufficient evidence to back up the theory. Maybe to be rolled out when / if immunity wears off and boosters are needed.

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I was told the same thing and personally I would be happy to take the one which we trialled though if we have received the vaccine then in theory we will not need to take another one.  I have some reservations about the Pfizer offering because I have heard no one say what happens if it is accidentally not kept at the correct temperature.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I am no expert but it seems logical that two different vaccines, that work in different ways, seems to make sense. Is there enough time to have limited trials of all the combinations of vaccines (only one of which is currently licensed) to see whether any increase protection and have no harmful side effects when taken together or 3 weeks apart? Apparently we have ordered enough vaccine to allow for further trials in this direction, but I suspect that it will be a long time before they have sufficient evidence to back up the theory. Maybe to be rolled out when / if immunity wears off and boosters are needed.

It is logical to follow this path and is commonly used. Due to the nature of the vaccines we can be fairly confident that they are safe. I wouldn't like to even guess as to how long trials would take, but based on the speed that the current vaccine has been  trialled and approved it could be quicker than usual. You may be right about immunity wearing off and boosters being required or an updated vaccine depending on levels of mutation. I think that the covid vaccine(s) could ultimately be incorporated into the flu vaccine if it is required in future years. 

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I was told the same thing and personally I would be happy to take the one which we trialled though if we have received the vaccine then in theory we will not need to take another one.  I have some reservations about the Pfizer offering because I have heard no one say what happens if it is accidentally not kept at the correct temperature.

There will be lots of stability data regarding storage temperature, the product wouldn't have been approved without it, stability trials are an ongoing process, especially where temperature sensitive products are used. If there is a deviation from storage temperature outside the constraints of the drug master file the vaccine must be destroyed.

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I know this is not a popular view but it has its merits. Too many rapists and murderers from 25 + years ago still at large. Too many human rights lovers around.

• Like 3

"Medway has the highest infection rate in the country which yesterday passed 600 per 100,000 for the first time.

Half of Medway hospital's 500 beds are occupied by patients who have tested positive for Covid-19.

Gravesham, which is covered by Darent Valley, has been consistently in the top 10 worst areas in the UK during November.

KentOnline has asked NHS England to explain the reasons behind Medway and Darent Valley being dropped from the initial list. (of vaccination centres)

Dr Navin Kumta, Ashford GP and clinical chair of Kent and Medway Clinical Commissioning Group said: "The vaccine is the long-term game changer. But everyone will need two doses given about a month apart. So right now we all still need to be making every effort to stop the spread of the virus."

etc etc

He did  not answer the question

What is going on 😠😠😠

37 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I know this is not a popular view but it has its merits. Too many rapists and murderers from 25 + years ago still at large. Too many human rights lovers around.

Absolutely right. I have no problem with officialdom having a nose around your bank accounts, or emails. If they want to have a rummage around your house, just in case. Well if you are happy, who am I to deny you that right🤣

42 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I completely agree. Once you start a life of criminality, assault or murder then you forfeit your human rights IMO. It’s the same about CCTV which people complain about. If you’ve got nothing to hide, why worry when they are instrumental in solving crimes on an almost hourly basis. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I completely agree. Once you start a life of criminality, assault or murder then you forfeit your human rights IMO. It’s the same about CCTV which people complain about. If you’ve got nothing to hide, why worry when they are instrumental in solving crimes on an almost hourly basis. 

I think Cliff Richard and Mathew Kelly may take a different view. I think the police call it trawling.

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think Cliff Richard and Mathew Kelly may take a different view. I think the police call it trawling.

Miscarriages of justice are a completely different thing and unrelated to this issue. We are talking about DNA profiling. The police have loads of DNA profiles of wanted murderers, rapists etc who are not on their database and will only ever face justice when they happen to be arrested for something unrelated, as has happened in recent years. Anything that speeds that up is fine by me. If DNA profiling had existed in the 1970’s The Yorkshire Ripper would have been caught after his first victim. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

I think Iceland either has or is implementing DNA profiling for everyone in the country.

Most important result is everyone will know who their father is, or isn't 😬

Really :classic_ohmy: and I only wanted a bag of frozen chips, will use Asda next time . 

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I think Iceland either has or is implementing DNA profiling for everyone in the country.

Most important result is everyone will know who their father is, or isn't 😬

Yes, I did think that the only downside could be a knock on the door one day and a 30 something stood there who greets me with “Hello Dad” 😂 

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Absolutely right. I have no problem with officialdom having a nose around your bank accounts, or emails. If they want to have a rummage around your house, just in case. Well if you are happy, who am I to deny you that right🤣

I know its not as if people died to have the rights we have nowadays.

• Like 2