New vaccine

hollyjess

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But if that were a normal occurrence then would  we not all suffer when we had our 2nd Jab?

I think in time we will find that the side effects of the second dose are worse than the first, especially with the RNA vaccines. 

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Or, put another way, they wanted greater AZ supplies for the younger age groups, allowing them to concentrate the Pfizer vaccine, with a higher overall efficacy rate and a proven efficacy for the older age groups, on those older age groups.

That is a very cynical viewpoint which is just what I thought too, the other view was that it was just sour grapes, it will be interesting to see what position France take on this. 

I saw this quote this morning.  It is of course meant to be humorous, as compared to funny.

"There was never any lockdown.   There was just middle-class people hiding while working-class people brought them things"  -   Writer and art critic JJ Charlesworth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

That is a very cynical viewpoint which is just what I thought too, the other view was that it was just sour grapes, it will be interesting to see what position France take on this. 

Not trying to be cynical - just realistic, really. I think they’re taking a sensible, practical approach until there’s more evidence on AZ, which should be fairly soon.

Hasn’t France already decided to restrict to under 65s, by the way?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Or, put another way, they wanted greater AZ supplies for the younger age groups, allowing them to concentrate the Pfizer vaccine, with a higher overall efficacy rate and a proven efficacy for the older age groups, on those older age groups.

And also to play up the stoppage of spread that the AZ provides among the young and slow the spread whilst giving the older the greater protection. I can see that argument.

Back from the doctors now after having our jabs,  and they were done by own doctor too. We both went in together as they'd said we would and both had the AstraZeneca vaccine, even so they still asked us to wait for 10 minutes. We got our little cards and the doctor said we would be contacted by the surgery for the 2nd dose in 10 -12 weeks. Everything was safe, fast and efficient and every doctor who works in the practice was there doing the jabs. We were in and out in 20 minutes and that includes the 10 minute wait

We had an interesting chat with the nurse in the waiting room afterwards, and they will have completed all groups up to 70 years and over, and ready to begin the 65's next week.The only fly in ointment is shortage of vaccine, and they don't know when they will get any more.

We both feel fine at the moment, not even a sore arm(yet) See how we feel tomorrow🤞

Avril

• Like 18

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not trying to be cynical - just realistic, really. I think they’re taking a sensible, practical approach until there’s more evidence on AZ, which should be fairly soon.

Hasn’t France already decided to restrict to under 65s, by the way?

France have restricted it. One of the advantages of doing things differently in other countries is that it will widen our knowledge base of the effects on vaccinating wider age groups.

30 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Back from the doctors now after having our jabs,  and they were done by own doctor too. We both went in together as they'd said we would and both had the AstraZeneca vaccine, even so they still asked us to wait for 10 minutes. We got our little cards and the doctor said we would be contacted by the surgery for the 2nd dose in 10 -12 weeks. Everything was safe, fast and efficient and every doctor who works in the practice was there doing the jabs. We were in and out in 20 minutes and that includes the 10 minute wait

We had an interesting chat with the nurse in the waiting room afterwards, and they will have completed all groups up to 70 years and over, and ready to begin the 65's next week.The only fly in ointment is shortage of vaccine, and they don't know when they will get any more.

We both feel fine at the moment, not even a sore arm(yet) See how we feel tomorrow🤞

Avril

You and me both this morning then, Avril, and AstraZeneca here too.  

Vaccine supply must be an issue, as you say, because they couldn’t vaccinate my wife, who’s just shy of 70, as they’d had no cancellations. It’s obviously pretty tight, supply-wise.

They did take our details though so if there’s any vaccine left at some point she might get slotted in at short notice, which would be good. I doubt she’ll be more than a week or two at most anyway though, so no big deal.

Very efficient operation. Undoubtedly the way forward for all future Covid/Flu vaccinations.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 10

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Pleased you both had a safe vaccination.

Hopefully neither of you have any side effects.🤞

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pleased to hear you’ve been ‘jabbed’ Avril and Harry. My sore arm didn’t kick in until that night, small price to pay though.

I saw a report a few days ago that many places were booking in at quite late notice as they didn’t know each week how much vaccine they were getting.

Hope your wife gets hers soon, Harry.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

France have restricted it. One of the advantages of doing things differently in other countries is that it will widen our knowledge base of the effects on vaccinating wider age groups.

That is just sour grapes from the French and EU because we are doing so well and they are not.

23 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Vaccine supply must be an issue, as you say, because they couldn’t vaccinate my wife, who’s just shy of 70, as they’d had no cancellations. It’s obviously pretty tight, supply-wise.

They did take our details though so if there’s any vaccine left at some point she might get slotted in at short notice, which would be good. I doubt she’ll be more than a week or two at most anyway though, so no big deal.

Very efficient operation. Undoubtedly the way forward for all future Covid/Flu vaccinations.

Was this due to no vaccine or a case of appointments booked up so no avaiabilty of a person to give injection?  

Edited by Gettingwarmer

Just now, Gettingwarmer said:

Was this due to no vaccine or a case of appointments booked up so no avaiabilty to give injection?  

Not enough vaccine.  They'd have been quite happy to do the vaccination (we're both at the same excellent surgery) but only had sufficient vaccine for the number of people called up.

Perfectly reasonable - you couldn't contemplate risking denying someone else booked in for later in the day their dose - but a clear indication that the vaccine supply is very tight indeed, right down to individual doses.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

That is just sour grapes from the French and EU because we are doing so well and they are not.

And that is complete nonsense.   If you honestly belief the EU or France would put their own citizens life at risk out of spite then I thinks it time for the ignore button.   I should have done it earlier.  If you are a troll you are not very good at it.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

No - that's just the line pushed out by the gutter press to sell newspapers.

They're using their AstraZenica supplies on the younger age groups, and concentrating the Pfizer vaccine, with a higher overall efficacy rate and a proven efficacy for the older age groups, on the older age groups.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Vaccine supply must be an issue, because they couldn’t vaccinate my wife, who’s just shy of 70, as they’d had no cancellations. It’s obviously pretty tight, supply-wise.

Good you got your jab Harry.

Hopefully your wife will get hers soon.

• Like 1

Not actually a vaccine but hopefully it will be as good as it promises 🤞

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/new-israeli-covid-drug-which-cured-30-cases-of-disease-hailed-by-scientists-as-huge-breakthrough/ar-BB1dqXuc?MSCC=1604407396

edit - apparently originally developed as a cancer treatment

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think in time we will find that the side effects of the second dose are worse than the first, especially with the RNA vaccines. 

My brother in law who works for the NHS has had both jabs (Pfzier) and although he didn't have any side effects after the first jab, he had a temperature and aches for 24 hours after his second jab

Edited by ann141
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

If you honestly belief the EU or France would put their own citizens life at risk out of spite

Then they are putting their people's lives at risk out of something else? Or we are if they are correct and the Astra does not work as effectively in the over 65s as we have been lead to believe it does. Someone is incorrect. Either we are or they are.

What matters is being seriously ill enough to go into hospital 

In a few weeks at minimum , arguments should be over, with 11million having had vaccination for 2 weeks. A simple study of who is going into hospital.  If very very few over 70s are being admitted compared to under 70s then we know it works. If over 70s numbers are same ratio to under 70s as before then we shall all be very disappointed

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

No - that's just the line pushed out by the gutter press to sell newspapers.

They're using their AstraZenica supplies on the younger age groups, and concentrating the Pfizer vaccine, with a higher overall efficacy rate and a proven efficacy for the older age groups, on the older age groups.

But they don't have the pfizer supplies to play with to my understanding. Not in the quantities we have at least? Yet our science shows Astra to be effective in older age groups plus effective at reduction of spread?. So isn't the EU just gambling with lives in this first rollout?

33 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

What matters is being seriously ill enough to go into hospital 

In a few weeks at minimum , arguments should be over, with 11million having had vaccination for 2 weeks. A simple study of who is going into hospital.  If very very few over 70s are being admitted compared to under 70s then we know it works. If over 70s numbers are same ratio to under 70s as before then we shall all be very disappointed

Worth reading this from the FT.  Its about hospital admissions for covid.

https://www.ft.com/content/0cdc8563-1e6d-4089-bedb-b0f675c0d683

It relates to Israel where 80% of 60+ age group have been vaccinated.

Highlights are that  the daily case rates among people aged 60 and above have fallen by 46 per cent relative to their mid-January peak, compared with a much smaller decline of 18 per cent among under-60s which would be an indication that the vaccine is working.  This is with first dose only.

13 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Worth reading this from the FT.  Its about hospital admissions for covid.

https://www.ft.com/content/0cdc8563-1e6d-4089-bedb-b0f675c0d683

It relates to Israel where 80% of 60+ age group have been vaccinated.

Highlights are that  the daily case rates among people aged 60 and above have fallen by 46 per cent relative to their mid-January peak, compared with a much smaller decline of 18 per cent among under-60s which would be an indication that the vaccine is working.  This is with first dose only.

I think it is a clear indication the vaccine is working, Israel are ahead of everyone in the vaccination race and the positives they are seeing we should see in coming weeks. Of course lockdown clouds the data here as the bulk of vulnerable/older people that have been vaccinated are at a lower risk of catching covid than the younger working population. As the younger age groups are vaccinated we should get a clearer indication of how effective the vaccine is here.

• Like 1