New vaccine

hollyjess

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Yes we are, but you wouldn't think so though with all the complaining about anything and everything that's going on. Some people are just never satisfied.

Sis

Hi sis,OTOH the infection stats are better with 11500 new cases and 270 deaths.Bro.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting. I don’t think that I have ever had a vaccination where I haven’t had a sore arm (which also feels very warm to touch at the site of the jab) for a couple of days afterwards. However, I am so keen to have my Covid jab that I would suffer that discomfort in both arms, both legs and a fifth jab where the sun doesn’t shine if it meant that I could get back to normal life ASAP 😂 

Frank and I were the same, no pain, tenderness or warmth at the injection site at all. We've felt it sometimes after a flu jab but not the covid one. 

Avril

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Selbourne said:

No option to do this on the system that my GP surgery uses (EMIS). 

It would seem, from several posts, that access to medical records varies quite a bit from surgery to surgery with the online systems. I know that with our GP practice we had to register for the online system and the practice then sent you a login name and password which you could keep or change to something more memorable. I don't think there was any differentiation in what you could access - the records, prescription ordering and appointment booking were there from the start.

I think the records we can access are in an abridged form but it is still useful to check occasionally for blood test results and other data.

48 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Frank and I were the same, no pain, tenderness or warmth at the injection site at all. We've felt it sometimes after a flu jab but not the covid one. 

Avril

That’s good although, frankly, I’d happily even take 48hrs of flu like symptoms to know that I am protected! Pleased to hear that you and Frank, along with so many others on here, have had your jabs now. Light at the end of the tunnel and, thankfully, the train is going at full speed!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, ann141 said:

A doctor friend has just informed me that for every 116 vaccinations, one life is saved 🙂 That's great if correct

That isn’t correct in total, (might be for your age group). I saw a very interesting table that was published a few months ago that showed precisely, by each of the 9 priority groups, how many jabs were needed to save one life. As you would expect, it varies enormously by age. Unfortunately I cannot find it now, but the following quote from a member of the vaccine committee gives a flavour:

“We worked out that if you give 20 people in a care home a dose of vaccine, you’ll save a life,” he said. “If you give 160 people in their 80s a dose of vaccine, you’ll save a life. But once you get down to people in their 60s, you’re up to more than 1,000. If you go down to teachers or policemen, you’re approaching one in 50,000”.

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

Just now, Selbourne said:

That isn’t correct. I saw a very interesting table that was published a few months ago that showed precisely, by each of the 9 priority groups, how many jabs were needed to save one life. As you would expect, it varies enormously by age. Unfortunately I cannot find it now, but the following quote from a member of the vaccine committee gives a flavour:

“We worked out that if you give 20 people in a care home a dose of vaccine, you’ll save a life,” he said. “If you give 160 people in their 80s a dose of vaccine, you’ll save a life. But once you get down to people in their 60s, you’re up to more than 1,000. If you go down to teachers or policemen, you’re approaching one in 50,000”.

That doesn't sound quite as encouraging.My doctor friends husband is a consultant in ITU so I think he will be pleased with any number of fewer deaths!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, arlowood said:

It would seem, from several posts, that access to medical records varies quite a bit from surgery to surgery with the online systems. I know that with our GP practice we had to register for the online system and the practice then sent you a login name and password which you could keep or change to something more memorable. I don't think there was any differentiation in what you could access - the records, prescription ordering and appointment booking were there from the start.

I think the records we can access are in an abridged form but it is still useful to check occasionally for blood test results and other data.

Yes they do seem to vary. I did the same registration process as you some time ago. I can see appointment history, upcoming appointments and repeat prescriptions. I can book appointments and blood tests online as well as order repeat prescriptions, but I have tried several times to access medical history / records and the wording seems to imply that they don’t offer that facility. There’s also no facility to request access to them. 

4 minutes ago, ann141 said:

That doesn't sound quite as encouraging.My doctor friends husband is a consultant in ITU so I think he will be pleased with any number of fewer deaths!

As will we all Ann! I don’t think that this is anything but a good news story, much to the frustration of the media!

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Must be a different type of needle smaller or thinner perhaps.

2 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

The UK strain is more transmissible so is likely to dominate, which will probably work to our advantage, as the vaccine works against that one. Also, the vaccines are still likely to prevent hospitalisations and death for all strains, even if they don't prevent mild or moderate disease. So it's not all doom and gloom. 

And the Astra and Pfizer appear to prevent spread at least of UK strain because after 5 or 6 days now is it of mass testing the detected case numbers are falling not flying up. And much more testing is being done now. I just wish the papers would stop saying this is going to go on forever. 

4 hours ago, Chrisdriving said:

And to add to your link, and not sure if this link implies a third jab is needed this autumn for everyone vaccinated so far so starting again basically.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-south-africa-halts-rollout-of-astrazeneca-jab-due-to-limited-protection-12211970

IF a third jab is needed in the Autumn or the second one is not done till Autumn to fold in the updated vaccines what would that mean for cruising? If they want FULL PROTECTION as in FULL regime of jabs does that mean people can't cruise for 4, 6 or even 12-15 weeks out of the year and in the Autumn/Winter period? Which would be a massive blow for P&O (don't you guys have big christmas sailings on Azura and Britannia) and Cunard and for the agencies who love that 26 night QM2/nights in nyc 3 ship package. And the world cruises as well perhaps.

32 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Must be a different type of needle smaller or thinner perhaps.

There was only the tiniest bit of discomfort with my injection, and although I could feel something afterwards if I ran my hand over the site, it could not really be described as discomfort, and TBH that's been the case with the flu jabs in recent years.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There was only the tiniest bit of discomfort with my injection, and although I could feel something afterwards if I ran my hand over the site, it could not really be described as discomfort, and TBH that's been the case with the flu jabs in recent years.

I had the flu jab and pneumonia jabs a couple of weeks apart and felt no pain when having the jabs or afterwards.

I'm in group 6 and Pauline group 8 but would happily get the vaccine at short notice if contacted.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

IF a third jab is needed in the Autumn or the second one is not done till Autumn to fold in the updated vaccines what would that mean for cruising? If they want FULL PROTECTION as in FULL regime of jabs does that mean people can't cruise for 4, 6 or even 12-15 weeks out of the year and in the Autumn/Winter period? Which would be a massive blow for P&O (don't you guys have big christmas sailings on Azura and Britannia) and Cunard and for the agencies who love that 26 night QM2/nights in nyc 3 ship package. And the world cruises as well perhaps.

So many questions based on assumptions, to which, without a functioning crystal ball, nobody on here can give a definitive answer.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Beckett said:

Hi Everyone. Just to let you know that Selbourne is right in that you have to make an individual request to your surgery for access to your online medical records. It's an additional ask to that for repeat prescriptions and making appointments.

Re proof of vaccine: Most surgeries use either System One or Emis. Both systems can give you a printout of your records, with attachments (eg details of vaccines). Ask your surgery to put their practice stamp on the printout and that should be enough proof. Having said that, who knows what we may be asked for in future but I would hope this would suffice. J.x

Good advice.

Thank you Jane.

Graham.

I think the person giving the jab makes a difference, sometimes they pinch the skin which takes the mind off the jab sometimes others don't, I have never felt anything more than a scratch and never had a reaction to a jab, that I am aware of. Maybe Jane can elaborate as to the styles/methods for jabbing people. It is similar when blood is taken, sometimes I hardly feel the needle going in other times it can be painful and leave a bruise.

• Like 1

We are registered with Systmonline with our GP, and so far have always been able to use it for making appointments.  I had a look yesterday, and it is now essentially unobtainable - I wonder if it is because you can actually type a comment into some of the boxes and they have got tired of people putting in messages about vaccination?  The only contact now is by phone - sometimes a long wait, best to wait until the afternoon in our case.

11 minutes ago, lincslady said:

We are registered with Systmonline with our GP, and so far have always been able to use it for making appointments.  I had a look yesterday, and it is now essentially unobtainable - I wonder if it is because you can actually type a comment into some of the boxes and they have got tired of people putting in messages about vaccination?  The only contact now is by phone - sometimes a long wait, best to wait until the afternoon in our case.

image.png.de4e3f69f50e59a6f5011d4f2148de16.pngThe above screen is what I see, I then select the Add button, this takes me to the following screen, but nothing ever happens

image.png.3c905a2fd7184ac3064d45f97fefc44f.png

55 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think the person giving the jab makes a difference, sometimes they pinch the skin which takes the mind off the jab sometimes others don't, I have never felt anything more than a scratch and never had a reaction to a jab, that I am aware of. Maybe Jane can elaborate as to the styles/methods for jabbing people. It is similar when blood is taken, sometimes I hardly feel the needle going in other times it can be painful and leave a bruise.

LOL,sounds like some Italian dentists,where they pinch your cheek hard before diving in with the probe.Our friend Mario still jumped out of the chair and didn't return.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think the person giving the jab makes a difference, sometimes they pinch the skin which takes the mind off the jab sometimes others don't, I have never felt anything more than a scratch and never had a reaction to a jab, that I am aware of. Maybe Jane can elaborate as to the styles/methods for jabbing people. It is similar when blood is taken, sometimes I hardly feel the needle going in other times it can be painful and leave a bruis.

I agree that the person giving the jab can make all the difference, I was a blood donor for over 50 years.

Very occasionally I would be left with a bruise but mostly a very small one.

In recent times it was getting much worse and sometimes they even failed to get blood after trying both arms.

After the last occasion it looked as if I had been hit with a hammer, I have now stopped going.

It may have been my getting older and a build up of scar tissue but I also believe that the poor skills of some of the attendants had a lot to do with it.

Sometimes I would ask for one of the supervision to do it and that was always better.

Years ago it was a nurse doing the jabbing with a doctor in attendance but not any more.

• Like 2