New vaccine

hollyjess

36 minutes ago, kalos said:

Last night on TV

England's deputy chief medical officer, Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, said he believes the South African coronavirus variant is not likely to become the dominant strain in the near future.  Prof Van-Tam is urging people to take the first vaccine they are offered, saying the mutation is no cause for panic. Britain has recorded 147 cases of the variants. 

I have come to trust what this guy says as opposed to what some journalist thinks. Van Tam Gives it to you straight and goes on to say Go get vaccinated and then keep following the current guidelines. He does not say once your jabbed life is normal and carry on like covid never existed. Until we get the infection rate way down to manageable levels, this will be our way of life regardless of what strain happens to be around . The message I am getting is that we need to stay safe and follow the guidelines ,which will help the NHS and ourselves in the long term .

Kalos. Not been reading the FT this morning?.I have my jab booked for Saturday morning. We had the surge testing last week, looking for the South African deviant. Didn't find the little blighter. Like all the way through this pandemic I will follow the guidelines, listen to what real experts say, ignore the armchair experts and not take advice from the FT.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, batholiver said:

should'nt we be issuing some pretty warnings to the pensioners wandering around at the moment thinking they're safe to do more or less as they please?

Why single out pensioners? There are many other age groups who have been doing just that for the last year.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Then you have the confusing reporting from the media including the BBC. What is the difference between "70 and over" and "over 70"? They are the same you say, well they are not to a significant %age of the population who would think "over 70" means anyone at least 71 years of age. If the experts say "70 and over the media" should use this term, EVERY TIME

Apologies - rant over

I can see your point to an extent and when first mentioned we did wonder when it was first mentioned as we were just 70 (I am now 71).  That was when there was talk of wanting the over 70's to isolate whilst the rest of the population could carry on as normal, so admittedly we were looking for an excuse to not be over 70.  However, thinking further, I am of now quite firmly of the view that you are exactly 70 years old on your 70th birthday, so one day later you become "over 70", so there is no difference in the two terms.

I also think perhaps we are a bit beyond worrying about such things as trivial as that, given everything else which has entered our daily lives  Though of course it is the everything else that is likely making us all get a bit wound up about such things, me included - no criticism intended 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Why single out pensioners? There any many other age groups who have been doing just that for the last year.

Avril

But Avril, when I get Jabbed in Saturday, can't I go to a rave Saturday night if I avoid the South Africans ?🤣. Most pensioners I know haven't left the house much, not even to pick up their newspaper. I opened the daily Star this morning and couldn't believe it. Negative interest rates🤣🤡

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tring said:

I can see your point to an extent and when first mentioned we did wonder when it was first mentioned as we were just 70 (I am now 71).  That was when there was talk of wanting the over 70's to isolate whilst the rest of the population could carry on as normal, so admittedly we were looking for an excuse to not be over 70.  However, thinking further, I am of now quite firmly of the view that you are exactly 70 years old on your 70th birthday, so one day later you become "over 70", so there is no difference in the two terms.

I also think perhaps we are a bit beyond worrying about such things as trivial as that, given everything else which has entered our daily lives  Though of course it is the everything else that is likely making us all get a bit wound up about such things, me included - no criticism intended 🙂

I was 71 just before Christmas. Until then, like you my definition of over 70 was, shall we say  a bit flexible. 🤔

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have bloods taken every couple of months and there's bruising maybe around 20% of the time - I'd always assumed it was just luck!

I do recall, though, an attempt by a junior doctor to insert a cannula last year (nurses always do a better job - far more used to it. Like midwives and doctors.).  Four attempts - the last one ending up with a seriously bent needle - before the nurse took over!  

Horses for courses!

You had problems with a junior doctor.  I have worked in research and there are occasions when blood samples are being looked for to use for a purpose.  The person you want to avoid is the consultant, or other doctor running the research project - as you say, just out of practice.  A nurse or an experienced phlebotomist (who do most of the blood samples now), will do better.

Having said that, if you have blood taken so regularly it may have become very difficult to get blood out of your vein as damage does build up over time as I understand it.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I was 71 just before Christmas. Until then, like you my definition of over 70 was, shall we say  a bit flexible. 🤔

There's no escaping 'age' zap. It will still find you, no matter how many corners you hide around.👴

Avril

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Kalos. Not been reading the FT this morning?.I have my jab booked for Saturday morning. We had the surge testing last week, looking for the South African deviant. Didn't find the little blighter. Like all the way through this pandemic I will follow the guidelines, listen to what real experts say, ignore the armchair experts and not take advice from the FT.

Have you seen the results of the surge tests in your area? Only asking because I read a report in this morning's paper that the labs doing the genomic sequencing have not yet reported results from the surge tests but are expected to issue some data later this week.

41 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Glad to read you have not been swayed by the "armchair experts" as you call them .

Over the years I met a few in places like airports on dense foggy days , you know the 

ones that moan out loud " Do they realise by delaying the aircraft ,they have made me late "

Next they will be telling us their shoes get wet when it rains :classic_unsure:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Have you seen the results of the surge tests in your area? Only asking because I read a report in this morning's paper that the labs doing the genomic sequencing have not yet reported results from the surge tests but are expected to issue some data later this week.

Not yet. They did around 8,000. We have had our individual results but not the overall. They will no doubt tell us soon, bit I guess no news is good news. If we had folks running around in biohazard suits with army helicopters above ,I would have been a bit concerned.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

Glad to read you have not been swayed by the "armchair experts" as you call them .

Over the years I met a few in places like airports on dense foggy days , you know the 

ones that moan out loud " Do they realise by delaying the aircraft ,they have made me late "

Next they will be telling us their shoes get wet when it rains :classic_unsure:

When you can use big words you are no longer an armchair expert, but a real, fully fledged expert that folk must take notice of. When you can quote the efficationabilityness and transponderbillity of the latest vaccintion stuff like I can , to two places of decimals with a 95% probability you may be boring but sure am authoratitive.🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

When you can use big words you are no longer an armchair expert, but a real, fully fledged expert that folk must take notice of. When you can quote the efficationabilityness and transponderbillity of the latest vaccintion stuff like I can , to two places of decimals with a 95% probability you may be boring but sure am authoratitive.🤔

With respect, I disagree. People who use long words like that, real or invented, often are trying to persuade you that they are experts by trying too hard to look that way. Real experts like JVT don’t need to do this.

Either that or say they are from Imperial College that seems to have more than it’s fair share of ‘experts’. Perhaps the mere words ‘Imperial College’ is the password to get media access.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

With respect, I disagree. People who use long words like that, real or invented, often are trying to persuade you that they are experts by trying too hard to look that way. Real experts like JVT don’t need to do this.

Either that or say they are from Imperial College that seems to have more than it’s fair share of ‘experts’. Perhaps the mere words ‘Imperial College’ is the password to get media access.

I didn't mean people on the telly. A reporter asks an expert a question, then asks another expert to explain what he said. The reporter then asks another reporter what day it is as he forgot what he asked in the first place. If they really want to know the answer, just post on cc and get 100 different answers. That's a decent sample size to do a statistical analysis. I thought imperial was that posh soap from the 70's. Didn't have Corona virus back then. That's the answer . Posh soap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I didn't mean people on the telly. A reporter asks an expert a question, then asks another expert to explain what he said. The reporter then asks another reporter what day it is as he forgot what he asked in the first place. If they really want to know the answer, just post on cc and get 100 different answers. That's a decent sample size to do a statistical analysis. I thought imperial was that posh soap from the 70's. Didn't have Corona virus back then. That's the answer . Posh soap.

Wrights Coal Tar Soap.  The proper stuff before EUknowwho banned the original ingredients.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Why single out pensioners? There are many other age groups who have been doing just that for the last year.

Avril

I think he was referring to pensioners because in the main, they’re the ones who have already been jabbed. 

2 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

On Princess forum they are talking about Carnivals announecment. 

See 

I posted a link to Carnivals announcement  on here** and  no-one commented? anyway it was released in error ( if you believe that)  and has been taken off their notices like it never happened.   The cruise news site have left it but confirm it has been withdrawn.

EDIT **   maybe on the How is it today where you are

thread.

Edited by Aulanis
error

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Does anyone find it strange that there is nothing at all on the P&O website about Covid restrictions, or at least I can't find it anywhere.

Hi Jean

it is here but spread out.

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence/your-holiday-experience

I took an age to find it earlier today to see if P&O had changed the date for final payment- I think it is Princess who have changed it nearer to sail date.

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

Scumbag College has never, I've found, had quite the same effect.........😉