New vaccine

hollyjess

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Ten years ago after Paulines stroke when I first became a carer, it was made clear to me that I would not be eligible for any carers allowance because my savings and income were too high. That to me means it was means tested.

Take it you are on DLA  which is no more for us . I get PIP  And the Mrs Carers Allowance .

Carer's Allowance does not depend on national insurance contributions and is not means-tested – in other words not based on your personal income or savings – but earnings may affect your entitlement. Carer's Allowance usually counts in full as income when calculating your entitlement for means-tested benefits.

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think my 74 yr old SIL still receives her carers allowance for my BIL.

I was a little simplistic in my explanation - it's available as a top-up if the recipient's state pension is under a certain amount. For most, that means it ceases.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

I would like to learn that answer. DW is 64 and in group 7. Next week is her birthday. Will she move up to group 5 or stay in 7. When you ask the GP, don't know nothing to do with us.🤔

I'd like to help with your question Zap but, at risk of sounding like your GP, I don't really know for certain. All GP practice patients' medical records are computerised,  and each patient’s medical history automatically allocates them a grouping so your DW, by that logic, should automatically move into Group 5 when her age changes. I'm not in the surgery tomorrow but when I go back on Friday I will call our computer supplier and ask them for you. As each system updates overnight I think she will change groups overnight on her birthday but I don't want to give you the wrong information so let me get back to you ASAP.  Jane.x

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I'd like to help with your question Zap but, at risk of sounding like your GP, I don't really know for certain. All GP practice patients' medical records are computerised,  and each patient’s medical history automatically allocates them a grouping so your DW, by that logic, should automatically move into Group 5 when her age changes. I'm not in the surgery tomorrow but when I go back on Friday I will call our computer supplier and ask them for you. As each system updates overnight I think she will change groups overnight on her birthday but I don't want to give you the wrong information so let me get back to you ASAP.  Jane.x

Jane. Thanks ever so much for taking the time to try and answer my query. Very helpful and kind of you. Good luck and thanks again😁

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Take it you are on DLA  which is no more for us . I get PIP  And the Mrs Carers Allowance .

Carer's Allowance does not depend on national insurance contributions and is not means-tested – in other words not based on your personal income or savings – but earnings may affect your entitlement. Carer's Allowance usually counts in full as income when calculating your entitlement for means-tested benefits.

It would be nice if Pauline was on DLA, then we could have a free car every 3 years.  Unfortunately she was over 65 at the time of the stroke, so her benefit is called Attendance Allowance which is different to carers allowance, and there is no mobility element involved.

As regards whether taking your income into account when assessing whether you have any entitlement to a benefit, is means testing or not, I know what I think.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Since carers allowance is means tested there will not be many DB pensioners receiving that allowance and, although I definitely am my wife's sole carer, I don't ever remember being registered.

Hi John. Just as a point of interest, but occupational pension income, regardless of whether DB or DC, does not count in terms of eligibility for Carers Allowance. They only count ‘earned income’ from employment or self employment. Income received from Occupational or Private pensions is excluded. You cannot claim Carers Allowance when in receipt of state pension of equal or greater value than the Carers Allowance, due to the ‘overlapping benefits’ rule. In my case, I couldn’t claim Carers Allowance when working, but as soon as I retired (at age 54) I could, even though I have a large private pension (DC from 55-60 and DB plus DC from 60 onwards). It will stop when I draw my state pension from age 67, but that will still give me 13 years of the allowance. It is taxable, unlike some other benefits. 

As for being a registered carer, it’s worth doing. I didn’t know such a thing existed until I was approached in the waiting area at my GP’s and asked if I was a carer. I now have a card in my wallet that, should I be knocked down by a bus, shows that my wife is dependent on my care, but also gives discounts at various places. I also have access to the local Carers Support Centre, which I don’t use but has been useful in that every few years they send me a simple form to fill in (Carers Assessment) and upon completion my local authority sends me a few hundred quid to give me a break from caring. Finally, by being registered I get free flu jabs each year (now available to all over 50’s so not a benefit now) and will be able to get my Covid jab in group 6 rather than waiting until my age group 8.

• Like 4

I was 70 on Saturday,  so when my wife got a text last week I got nothing as I was 69 last week, on Tuesday I got a phone call from GP offering me a vaccination,  my GP hasn't started on under 70s yet.

So it looks like computer systems tell GPs who is 70 on the day that the program is run asking who is of a certain age that day.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It would be nice if Pauline was on DLA, then we could have a free car every 3 years.  Unfortunately she was over 65 at the time of the stroke, so her benefit is called Attendance Allowance which is different to carers allowance, and there is no mobility element involved.

As regards whether taking your income into account when assessing whether you have any entitlement to a benefit, is means testing or not, I know what I think.

Did not realise Pauline was over 65 John at the time ,as you say different rules re Attendance Allowance. Thought for a moment you may  have been missing out but I can now see where your 

coming from  Sadly no prize or free car for you this time.:classic_smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

John, Carers allowance is not means tested Disability is now called Pip payments and if you qualify a carer can claim an allowance regardless of them working or not or their  savings but it can be taxable dependant of what you earn .

PS if you are paid for looking after your wife you are registered.

Hi Kalos. Further to my reply to John (above), you cannot claim Carers Allowance if you are working and earn more than £128 a week so, in reality, it is means tested. My wife has been in receipt of DLA / PIP for some years, but I could only claim Carers Allowance once I stopped working and it will cease when I commence my state pension. 

34 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It would be nice if Pauline was on DLA, then we could have a free car every 3 years. 

Me again John! You are obviously referring to the Motability scheme. Again, just to clarify, there is no free car. You have to surrender around £10k in tax free benefits over every 3 years of the lease plus, if you want a decent car, pay an ‘advance payment’ of up to £4k on top of that. So it’s far from free. It’s a shame that Pauline missed out on eligibility due to age, but it’s interesting that two out of every three people who are eligible to join the Motability scheme choose not to. If it was ‘free’ I’m sure that the take up would be 100%!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Hi Kalos. Further to my reply to John (above), you cannot claim Carers Allowance if you are working and earn more than £128 a week so, in reality, it is means tested. My wife has been in receipt of DLA / PIP for some years, but I could only claim Carers Allowance once I stopped working and it will cease when I commence my state pension. 

Correct Selbourne my wife company cut her hours so she did not exceed this but since has gave up to look after me full time . Just read your post above and your advice to John to see if he could make himself registered as a carer seems good to me .I am still pretty new to this PIP & carers and still learning .:classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

It seems to vary in different areas. Barnsley are ready now to do the 65-70's but there is a hold up with the vaccine deliveries.

Avril

Just had the vaccine hub ring me and told me where I was going for my jab on Friday a mile away has got a delivery issue and cannot do it there but can do it at another medical centre a ten minute drive in the opposite direction -same day -same time :classic_smile: No Probs .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 9

6 minutes ago, kalos said:

Just had the vaccine hub ring me and told me where I was going for my jab on Friday a mile away has got a delivery issue and cannot do it there but can do it at another medical centre a ten minute drive in the opposite direction -same day -same time :classic_smile: No Probs .

You are lucky and I’m so glad you are.

There are a lot of complaints up here as people are having to do 90 minute round trips by car (or several forms of public transport) to get to vaccination centres. There was a question about it as FMQs today. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

That would be great for my twin sister to know too.We both turn 65 at the beginning of march and although I have had my jab because I am in the shielded group, my twin is worried she might get missed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Ten years ago after Paulines stroke when I first became a carer, it was made clear to me that I would not be eligible for any carers allowance because my savings and income were too high. That to me means it was means tested.

Carers allowance is not based on savings but is means tested because if you have more than £128 earnings each week which would include your pension you would not qualify.

52 minutes ago, kalos said:

.I am still pretty new to this PIP & carers and still learning .:classic_smile:

It’s a minefield Kalos and very few people understand it, so you are far from alone. Other than Family Allowance, which we lost when it became means tested, neither my wife nor I had claimed a penny in benefits throughout our entire lives. However, when my wife’s disability started to really impact on her life and her ability to work, I did a lot of research and found that whilst most things were unavailable to her (due to my income) some things were. Initially it was DLA, subsequently replaced by PIP.

As you will know, the transition to PIP has been a major challenge for many. Undoubtedly there was abuse with the old system and it needed overhauling, but the PIP application system is unbelievably complicated and will no doubt put many off claiming for it or, at best, cause them to end up with a poor result. I spent every evening for a week preparing my wife’s PIP application, having done a lot of research, and it paid off. She was initially given a 3 year award, to be reviewed after around 2 and a half years, which she was relieved with. However, we asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration on the grounds that her condition could only be worse after that time and that it seemed unreasonable to have to go through all of that hassle again so soon. They changed it to an indefinite award with the earliest review (if at all) in 10 years time. Perseverance pays. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, kalos said:

Good news Kalos. I'm so glad they've fitted you in same day and time. Hope it goes well - let us know. J.x

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Carers allowance is not based on savings but is means tested because if you have more than £128 earnings each week which would include your pension you would not qualify.

As I have said Graham, the £128 a week only applies to earnings from employment, not pensions. It stops anyway when you reach state pension age (if your pension is over £67.25 a week, which most people’s will be) but private and occupational pensions do not count as ‘earned income’. So you can have a very large private pension and still claim Carers allowance, until your state pension starts. 

Edited by Selbourne