New vaccine

hollyjess

1 hour ago, Scriv said:

Oh I  didn't know that premiums increase if you're taking statins... 😞

The insurer normaly asks if your cholesterol has been above a recommended level, which I have assumed is to avoid those taking statins as a precaution having their premium raised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

All part of the health declaration you need to answer on your holiday insurance form.

Any new illness or increase in medication they need to know.

Not giving information could invalidate your insurance if you need to claim.

Graham.

I have an annual insurance who wants to know absolutely everything about every visit to a doctor and every prescription in our  renewal chat every year. It's always crucial to tell them absolutely everything to be fully covered.

Edited by Scriv
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Esprit said:

You're probably right Angel57. I did delay going to the doctors, but the NHS 111 lady insisted I should get seen.

My younger daughter has psoriasis and got an itchy rash at the back of her arm, thinking it was psoriasis she ignored it. Within 4 days it had covered her back, was coming around her midriff and she felt very tired and unwell. It took over 3 weeks before she was better. If not treated it can make you really ill as it's the same virus as chicken pox.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It's one of those odd situations that arises because of the algorithms insurance companies use for cheapness and speed instead of clinical judgment.

Statins suggest underlying problems, so the premium increase (if indeed there is one) is based far more on the underlying problem than the statin itself.  The reality of the situation is that the statin is prescribed to lessen any risk - not increase it.   And the NICE guidelines strongly support the use of statins as a preventative measure.

Unforfunately Harry, there are thousands of people taking statins with no underlying conditions or need to take them.  That is the problem.  Just because it is suggested by your doctor as a preventative measure. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Don't you just love headlines, I blame Star wars, without Darth Vader, Jabba the hutt and Yoda this wouldn't have happened.

Heavy breathers could be Covid-19 SUPERSPREADERS - with obese and old people the worst offenders

There's that word 'could' again😏

Avril

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I also took that when I had shingles. My understanding is that if taken early enough it reduces the severity.

It does, and in my case it did, thank goodness - all down to my wife’s getting me to the surgery that same morning.

It was pre-Covid. He shook her hand and said ‘Great diagnosis!’.  😊

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Don't you just love headlines, I blame Star wars, without Darth Vader, Jabba the hutt and Yoda this wouldn't have happened.

Heavy breathers could be Covid-19 SUPERSPREADERS - with obese and old people the worst offenders

My OH has had a few of those phone calls.I'll get her to have a test.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It does, and in my case it did, thank goodness - all down to my wife’s getting me to the surgery that same morning.

It was pre-Covid. He shook her hand and said ‘Great diagnosis!’.  😊

It's an awful thing Harry. I've heard some say 'it's only a rash'  It's like saying a migraine is 'only a headache'

Avril

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

A friend of mine had it in his eyes, he suffered for many years.

The eyes are the worse place to have it and dangerous! My shingles was mild. Just the blisters on one side of my stomach stretching around to my back and was gone after a couple of weeks. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's an awful thing Harry. I've heard some say 'it's only a rash'  It's like saying a migraine is 'only a headache'

Avril

I was very lucky Avril.  I had some of the usual symptoms, but very mildly, thanks to being able to get the Aciclovir in time.  Possibly the vaccination I had on hitting 70 might have helped too. I know what a nasty thing it is from others in the family - exactly as you say.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I was very lucky Avril.  I had some of the usual symptoms, but very mildly, thanks to being able to get the Aciclovir in time.  Possibly the vaccination I had on hitting 70 might have helped too. I know what a nasty thing it is from others in the family - exactly as you say.

Frank had shingles when in his 30's. We both had our shingles jab though. The nurse said that It didn't matter that he'd already had it as the virus lies dormant if you've had chicken pox, and can flare up any time. Apparently it can be serious in older people, hence the vaccination.

Avril

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Absolutely.

Fitting Alloy wheels,spoilers etc come into modification category as they increase the risk of cars being stolen.

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I know we have gone off topic but I am going off off topic which shouldn't matter as we are not on topic anyway. This reminds me of a few discussions with my insurance broker regarding car insurance and what constitutes a modification. I have always used winter tyres, until I retired (not to be confused with re-tyred) that is, yet with some insurers that was classed as a modification to a car even though you were safer with winter tyres and generally less likely to have an accident, if you informed your insurer you were OK whereas if you didn't it could be used as an excuse to not pay out. So the principle is talk to your insurer and get something in writing whenever possible.

Insurers will do anything to increase the price.  A perk of having worked for a tyre manufacturer means that every time I change my car the first thing I do is to call the service tyres department and ask to have the tyres changed to their all weather tyres. I always inform the red telephone that I have changed the tyres because the change means my car no longer has the original equipment but I have never had to pay more for my insurance.  The benefits for me are that I know I have excellent quality tyres, if I have a puncture the tyre gets replaced at no charge and I can sell the original tyres on eBay.

Just now, Adawn47 said:

Frank had shingles when in his 30's. We both had our shingles jab though. The nurse said that It didn't matter that he'd already had it as the virus lies dormant if you've had chicken pox, and can flare up any time. Apparently it can be serious in older people, hence the vaccination.

Avril

One of the worries with covid is that it could also lay dormant albeit this is currently more of a theory at the moment. 

2 hours ago, bee-ess said:

Had my AZ jab this morning, all quite painless (literally !). Warned might feel a bit under the weather in the next 24 hrs but small price to pay really. Very pleased it has been done.

Happy to hear you have had your first vaccine jab.

🤞Hopefully you have no side affects.

Graham.

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I had whooping cough in my forties, very unpleasant and 3 months off work.

As for statins, the doctor recommended I take them around 5 years ago, but I opted out at the time . At my health review in 2018 I was told I must take them, and it took a while to find one without a reaction.  On the night of March 2/3rd last year, I had an eye stroke, and now have severe double vision. So I now have expensive prism glasses, driving licence revoke by DVLA (try getting it back!), which has made life difficult, so I'm wishing I had taken them earlier, might of been OK!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scriv said:

I have an annual insurance who wants to know absolutely everything about every visit to a doctor and every prescription in our  renewal chat every year. It's always crucial to tell them absolutely everything to be fully covered.

Absolutely agree.

After my mild heart attack we rang the insurance company and they immediately cancelled our annual policy as they claimed that policy didn't cover us once we declared I had had a heart attack and we would have to buy a different policy.

They didn't want to refund the policy that was left but after speaking to a manager a refund was given.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adammara said:

I had whooping cough in my forties, very unpleasant and 3 months off work.

As for statins, the doctor recommended I take them around 5 years ago, but I opted out at the time . At my health review in 2018 I was told I must take them, and it took a while to find one without a reaction.  On the night of March 2/3rd last year, I had an eye stroke, and now have severe double vision. So I now have expensive prism glasses, driving licence revoke by DVLA (try getting it back!), which has made life difficult, so I'm wishing I had taken them earlier, might of been OK!

Sorry to hear what you have gone through and still being affected.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Absolutely agree.

After my mild heart attack we rang the insurance company and they immediately cancelled our annual policy as they claimed that policy didn't cover us once we declared I had had a heart attack and we would have to buy a different policy.

They didn't want to refund the policy that was left but after speaking to a manager a refund was given.

Our insurance company was far more sympathetic . Once they were told what had happened 

and that my doctors said I Should be able to drive in a few weeks time, they said fine, give us a

ring when you can drive ,which I did they were brilliant with me. I also got a refund a few weeks

later because the cars mileage was way lower than expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

The eyes are the worse place to have it and dangerous! My shingles was mild. Just the blisters on one side of my stomach stretching around to my back and was gone after a couple of weeks. 

Both Pauline and I had shingles on our stomach/chest and they were painful but getting the anti viral tablets quickly certainly made a big difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Singing is not allowed in church even with masks on  because of the extra expulsion of air when people are singing rather than speaking when joining in the service.

• Like 1