New vaccine

hollyjess

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks Jane. Group 6 is actually adults aged 16 to 65 with ‘at risk’ underlying conditions (as opposed to the extremely clinically vulnerable group that has already been done) plus their carers (and some others, can’t recall the detail) but it’s a very big cohort - 7.9m people from memory. I think that 60-64 is group 7. I was also, reckoning on March for group 6, but group 5 is a smaller group and at the phenomenal rate that you are all jabbing I wondered if it could be even sooner! 

Edit - Group 6 is 7.3m people, versus 2.9m in group 5.

Hi Selbourne.  I said I'd get back to you.  Meeting is over and our next batch of patients to call are aged 50-65 with 2 or more underlying health conditions.  I think our CD wants to do it in bite-size batches so that we don't get overwhelmed and run the risk of not enough vaccines.  Jane.x

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Phew. That’s a relief. My wife (who is disabled and a full time wheelchair user) hasn’t been out of the house for months on end and whilst she is waiting very patiently for her time to come I am keen to be able to give her some life back! It’s brilliant having you on here Jane and apologies for all the questions. I’m sure that in the few hours that you have when you aren’t jabbing the last thing you probably want to do is to be talking about it, but your insight is invaluable and much appreciated. 

Thanks Selbourne. Never worry about asking questions because I'm always happy to help if I can.  I do hope your wife is called soon.  It's the waiting and not knowing that's so totally frustrating isn't it? I really don't think it will be long for her now though.  Everything crossed.  Jane. x

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hi Selbourne.  I said I'd get back to you.  Meeting is over and our next batch of patients to call are aged 50-65 with 2 or more underlying health conditions.  I think our CD wants to do it in bite-size batches so that we don't get overwhelmed and run the risk of not enough vaccines.  Jane.x

Hi Jane. That’s extremely kind of you to report back. That seems like a sensible approach, given how big group 6 is. Out of interest (and I’m really sorry for another question) but will the carers of those people (who also count as group 6) get their jab at the same time? Many of them will be bringing the person that they care for to their jab! I can see pros and cons both ways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Hugh Bonnaville is volunteering where I will hopefully be called to get the jab......Bet he won’t be on duty that day!

Oh is he Gill?  I do hope he's on duty when you go.  He seems such a really sincere and lovely man.  I have to admit though I wouldn't have recognised him until he took his hat and mask off because he's lost a serious amount of weight.  Did you see the tv clip?  Jane.x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi we too are in that group and both have underlying health issues ongoing cancer diagnosis’s and stents in arteries we have contacted our surgery but have been told to wait it’s a bit disheartening when you can see others in our group getting appointments wish the surgery  would just tell you that they are behind with the vaccines or they don’t have enough.

It does seem to be a post code lottery and little bearing given to current  health. I expected OH to be called well before me because he has heart problems and on loads of medication for it and I have no ongoing health problems and no regular medication.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beckett said:

Oh is he Gill?  I do hope he's on duty when you go.  He seems such a really sincere and lovely man.  I have to admit though I wouldn't have recognised him until he took his hat and mask off because he's lost a serious amount of weight.  Did you see the tv clip?  Jane.x

Yes I did watch the report on the tv. I agree he has lost weight and was actually looking rather attractive...... and I wouldn’t have recognised him either!

I’m in group 7 so he may have got fed up with marshalling all the locals by then!

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Hi Jane. That’s extremely kind of you to report back. That seems like a sensible approach, given how big group 6 is. Out of interest (and I’m really sorry for another question) but will the carers of those people (who also count as group 6) get their jab at the same time? Many of them will be bringing the person that they care for to their jab! I can see pros and cons both ways.

Well all I can tell you Selbourne is that we would do it!  We've accepted spouse/partner carers all along - it's only right.  I can't tell you for sure what will happen at your vaccine hub but if you are going to a local site, as opposed to a mass site, why don't you telephone your surgery and ask them. It's much easier to make a direct approach and speak to an actual person.  Jane.x 

• Like 1

You guys from Kent will like this.My BIL on Canvey Island is 76 and vulnerable.He hadn't been jabbed so we phoned 119 and got on the website and all they could offer was 4 locations off the island 5 miles away and a 5th in Chatham,wait for it 10 miles away.If we drove him there it would be 40 miles so perhaps they thought he had a boat tied up on the seawall to sail across to Grain.Cut a story short,the roads were better today so we drove him to the hub just around the corner from his house,explained the situation and they jabbed him straight away.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It does seem to be a post code lottery and little bearing given to current  health. I expected OH to be called well before me because he has heart problems and on loads of medication for it and I have no ongoing health problems and no regular medication.

Yes I think you’re right definitely a post code lottery I just wish the surgery would give us information instead of saying they don’t know anything or it not up to them surely  someone knows what’s happening 

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

You guys from Kent will like this.My BIL on Canvey Island is 76 and vulnerable.He hadn't been jabbed so we phoned 119 and got on the website and all they could offer was 4 locations off the island 5 miles away and a 5th in Chatham,wait for it 10 miles away.If we drove him there it would be 40 miles so perhaps they thought he had a boat tied up on the seawall to sail across to Grain.Cut a story short,the roads were better today so we drove him to the hub just around the corner from his house,explained the situation and they jabbed him straight away.

Good to know that they were prepared to be a bit flexible and get him vaccinated.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Well all I can tell you Selbourne is that we would do it!  We've accepted spouse/partner carers all along - it's only right.  I can't tell you for sure what will happen at your vaccine hub but if you are going to a local site, as opposed to a mass site, why don't you telephone your surgery and ask them. It's much easier to make a direct approach and speak to an actual person.  Jane.x 

I think the policy varies.2 friends of ours 1 50+ the other 60+ took their mothers to the Excel and were asked are you carers.They don't live with their mothers but are in a bubble,so they were jabbed.My SIL in Basingstoke cares for her housebound husband.They came round and jabbed him 2 weeks ago and they are coming round to do her today.That seems a waste of resources but hey ho.

29 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I saw the clip and agree, he seems lovely. Also seen a photo of him having his jab and was wondering why he’s already had it aged 57. I know that he could have underlying health problems, or could be a carer, but if so, is a Covid hub the best place for him to be? Or are all marshalls jabbed as they could be considered healthcare workers? Just wondering!

I think the volunteers get jabbed if vaccine is available.  Here anyway.  I was quite near the end of the day having mine and heard one of the organisers talking to a colleague saying words to the effect that quite a proportion of the folks still in line for that session were volunteers

Seems fine by me.  Most of them look 60+ anyway, many are older

2 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I think the volunteers get jabbed if vaccine is available.  Here anyway.  I was quite near the end of the day having mine and heard one of the organisers talking to a colleague saying words to the effect that quite a proportion of the folks still in line for that session were volunteers

Seems fine by me.  Most of them look 60+ anyway, many are older

That makes sense! If there are supplies left, better not to waste them. Actually most of the volunteers were well under 50 at our county hub when I took my father there. I was wondering then if they had been jabbed!

55 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I think the policy varies.2 friends of ours 1 50+ the other 60+ took their mothers to the Excel and were asked are you carers.They don't live with their mothers but are in a bubble,so they were jabbed.

Technically, being in a bubble with a vulnerable person doesn’t qualify you for the jab. You have to be their registered carer, usually in receipt of Carers Allowance. However, it’s good to see that common sense is prevailing, as if the person is stood in front of them and they have sufficient vaccines it makes sense to jab them. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Technically, being in a bubble with a vulnerable person doesn’t qualify you for the jab. You have to be their registered carer, usually in receipt of Carers Allowance. However, it’s good to see that common sense is prevailing, as if the person is stood in front of them and they have sufficient vaccines it makes sense to jab them. 

I know,it seems to vary,but things are racing ahead,that's the main thing.My SIL is 73 and her husband 81 and they were done 2 weeks apart.Being proactive in advance seems to be the way to go and try and ensure you are done together.Good luck,Brian.

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

They work out location distances as the crow flies.

The crow has no problems with those 2 little ditches called the Medway and the Thames.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have checked with the Novavax trial and I have had the actual vaccine so I don't need to take up the offer that I got yesterday.  I rang the doctor to explain and they let me  book David's appointment  for Saturday morning even though his letter has not arrived yet.

It was a palaver getting unblinded from the trial, the person I spoke to was very unhelpful, saying that I should wait until my next appointment before getting unblinded, that was not a problem per se because my appointment is actually tomorrow but I didn't think that they should be trying to block people from unblinding.

Thats good to hear.

4 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

They work out location distances as the crow flies.

The crow has no problems with those 2 little ditches called the Medway and the Thames.

I gathered that,but imagine an old person seeing that and phoning a cab to get there.

26 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Since carers allowance is means tested there will not be many DB pensioners receiving that allowance and, although I definitely am my wife's sole carer, I don't ever remember being registered.

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Since carers allowance is means tested there will not be many DB pensioners receiving that allowance and, although I definitely am my wife's sole carer, I don't ever remember being registered.

Plus carers' allowance ceases at state pension age.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

John, Carers allowance is not means tested Disability is now called Pip payments and if you qualify a carer can claim an allowance regardless of them working or not or their  savings but it can be taxable dependant of what you earn .

PS if you are paid for looking after your wife you are registered.

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

John, Carers allowance is not means tested Disability is now called Pip payments and 

if you qualify a carer can claim an allowance regardless of them working or not or their  savings 

but it can be taxable dependant of what you earn .

Ten years ago after Paulines stroke when I first became a carer, it was made clear to me that I would not be eligible for any carers allowance because my savings and income were too high. That to me means it was means tested.

• Like 1