If a vaccine is mandated in order to cruise will you get one?

molly361

If a vaccine is mandated in order for you to cruise will you get one?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. If a vaccine is mandated in order for you to cruise will you get one?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

19 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I know people here in UK who will QUIT working in nursing and be unemployable rather than get the vaccine and they have been on the front lines oh and have not been clubbing in 9 months.

There are many staff who will get the vaccine while being their choice, and some that won’t but will continue to work if it is not mandatory. If it is mandatory there will be some who also quit but I suspect they will return to their field of education.

As for “not clubbing”, it is great that the ones you know have not been doing that.  Thankfully many are as cautious as the day is long, but others are not. I personally know of health care workers that have partied with others who work in care centres that are in outbreak, others from different households car pooling to work while not wearing masks, sitting in cars together during breaks smoking, and even one who held a Halloween Birthday party and they got Covid from a guest.  Locally there is even one NICU nurse who organized and partook in anti-mask rallies as well as posting videos to social media. I could not imagine how frustrated/angry I would be if she was responsible for my premature child. 

As I said, so many are careful in their actions and others not so much. If a vaccine is mandated and they choose not to take it is their choice. My frustration is when risks are taken that endanger others they care for, and just not themselves.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ski-Lady said:

I will be getting the vaccine when I'm able but it will be awhile as I don't have any risk factors, not a front line worker, or an essential worker.

If I were to get COVID I most likely would be okay. Still I'll get the vaccine because:

1. It will reduce my risk as slight as it may be.

2. I want things to get back to normal like everyone.

3. THE MOST IMPORTANT! I want to protect those at risk and those who can't get the vaccine. I feel it is my responsibility as a person to do what I can to protect my fellow humans.

I have a partner who has several high risk factors and a son who is a cancer survivor so I will do anything to protect them and anyone else at risk. To do anything less would be selfish on my part.

I'm 60 and also will not be at the front of the line for the vaccine because of no risk factors and age.  Everybody under 65 who isn't essential or front line or has no risk factors all fall into the same group.  Ages 16-64 are lumped together basically.    We wear masks, keep distance.  We do eat out at restaurants and now that it's getting colder and we're not eating outside, we go at "off" times.  But, we've found most restaurants just don't have that many people in them anyway.  We're usually 15-20 feet away from others when eating inside just because there aren't many people inside.  My DH has type 2 diabetes and asthma (he's 63) so he'll get the vaccine before me, but he has to go to work everyday (Fed contractor-essential due to type of work he does) but we take reasonable precautions.  My DIL (haven't seen since Thanksgiving) is a RN in a GP office and woke up yesterday with a temp and sore throat.  She went and got tested this morning.  She catches several things each winter usually.   My son is fine and he's also been working.  Their dog has been wheezing too.  

I was iffy about it at first, now I'm even more nervous because my employer just emailed me saying that we are being vaccinated next week. I wanted to wait first to see how others fared. I was told if I dont do it now i`d have to wait until the spring, and I have  cruise planned for April, I have a few days to make up my mind...

2 minutes ago, geegeewhiz said:

I was iffy about it at first, now I'm even more nervous because my employer just emailed me saying that we are being vaccinated next week. I wanted to wait first to see how others fared. I was told if I dont do it now i`d have to wait until the spring, and I have  cruise planned for April, I have a few days to make up my mind...

Are you in healthcare?  

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

There are many staff who will get the vaccine while being their choice, and some that won’t but will continue to work if it is not mandatory. If it is mandatory there will be some who also quit but I suspect they will return to their field of education.

As for “not clubbing”, it is great that the ones you know have not been doing that.  Thankfully many are as cautious as the day is long, but others are not. I personally know of health care workers that have partied with others who work in care centres that are in outbreak, others from different households car pooling to work while not wearing masks, sitting in cars together during breaks smoking, and even one who held a Halloween Birthday party and they got Covid from a guest.  Locally there is even one NICU nurse who organized and partook in anti-mask rallies as well as posting videos to social media. I could not imagine how frustrated/angry I would be if she was responsible for my premature child. 

As I said, so many are careful in their actions and others not so much. If a vaccine is mandated and they choose not to take it is their choice. My frustration is when risks are taken that endanger others they care for, and just not themselves.

Some people just don't get it.  One of my cousins - college educated professional - held her annual Halloween party with around 35 people despite government advisory against such gatherings.  We obviously didn't attend.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, geegeewhiz said:

I don't believe there will be cruising in April still. I know that sounds negative but I mean it as a positive in your case. 

5 minutes ago, BND said:

Are you in healthcare?  

Yes, actually testing people for covid and testing the sick covid patients non-stop in the laboratory. Luckily, no one in my lab has come down with it (knock on wood), I follow strict protocol on and off my job, so Im not as concerned about contracting it at work. so I would take the vaccine only to get back on the ship, If i decide to take it. mrna is a new type of vaccine only studied in the last decade so I’m a little cautious. I understand the science but i’ll wait a month or 2 after the full dosage has been given to others to see what happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I don't believe there will be cruising in April still. I know that sounds negative but I mean it as a positive in your case. 

yea I was thinking the same thing, thats the only reason I may decline it, but then again I have flights still booked so I may take it just to get to Orlando

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Maybe. I have a cruise the end of April, out of Singapore. I give that one a slightly better chance of sailing.

17 hours ago, cured said:

👍 While I am still very skeptical our August cruise will sail, mainly because it is NY/NJ and I can't see the governors there allowing 10,000 (embark and debark) people mingling about every week, the vaccine finally being rolled out gives me a glimmer of hope. I also went ahead and booked our airfare to LGA on Southwest yesterday.  Might as well get in on the early price since it is Southwest and can cancel.  If I have to cancel, I will just use the credits for our cruises in 2022.

It's getting crazy here again.  No more indoor dining in NYC. I can't believe they band it there and not on Long Island where the Covid rate is higher. 

11 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

It's getting crazy here again.  No more indoor dining in NYC. I can't believe they band it there and not on Long Island where the Covid rate is higher. 

No indoor dining because 1.43% of cases come from restaurants.   Makes sense

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gov-andrew-cuomo-orders-new-york-city-restaurants-to-halt-indoor-dining-11607706795

Edited by TheMastodon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

No indoor dining because 1.43% of cases come from restaurants.   Makes sense

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gov-andrew-cuomo-orders-new-york-city-restaurants-to-halt-indoor-dining-11607706795

Yes but it must be the same on Long Island. I was in NYC last Tuesday midtown during lunch. All of the restaurants were empty. It’s not the same here. 

8 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I also give that one a slightly better chance of sailing but only for Singapore residents I suspect. 

Assuming royal can get their staff vaccinated in reasonable time I see no reason why cruising won’t be back to normal next fall.  I fully support vaccinated guests only until the pandemic fizzles out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Being in the royal air force and early 40s i am near the bottom of the list to get it in the uk. I expect untill its rolled out to the vast majority of people maybe over 60% initially, it may be required to have a vaccine before travel and only relax that requirement when more of the vaccine is rolled out.

Either way seeing what it has done to people i will get it and so will my family. Id rather get it knowing i am keeping others safe. However i respect everyones choices.

Wouldn't being RAF and subject to deployment put you near the top of the list?  

12 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Assuming royal can get their staff vaccinated in reasonable time I see no reason why cruising won’t be back to normal next fall.  I fully support vaccinated guests only until the pandemic fizzles out.

But don't the various travel restrictions need to be lifted before cruising is  back to normal?. Apparently Australia does not think it will fully reopen it's borders to all countries till at least end of 2021 and that statement does not take into the recent problems with that abandoned vaccine they had their hopes on. And no word on when UK, US and Europe will allow non quarantined travel again.

Lorraine in Boston asks, “If I get the vaccine and get COVID but am not sick, can I still spread the virus?”

If you get vaccinated, it’s not clear if you can still get infected, not develop symptoms, and possibly pass the virus on to others. That’s why even if you get vaccinated, you still need to wear a mask and maintain social distancing.

From my understanding you are 94.5% protected from contracting the virus. You have a 5.5% chance of contracting the virus but being asymptomatic. You'll have 100% protection from becoming severely ill. Unfortunately they still cannot tell us how long the vaccine immunity will last and if we can still become carriers and unwittingly spread the virus.

12 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

From my understanding you are 94.5% protected from contracting the virus. You have a 5.5% chance of contracting the virus but being asymptomatic.

Not how the calculation works.  Comparing the placebo and vaccine groups, the vaccine group had 94.5% less infections then the placebo group.  So your chance of getting the virus after vaccine is way less then 5%.  It is 5% of your chance of getting the virus if you did not get the vaccine.  And if everyone is that low and the symptoms if you did get the are low - why do you need a mask if everyone is vaccinated.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, BND said:

If you had a bad gall bladder like I did, you don't want to wait, geez.  I lost 24 lbs and felt sick, but that's not enough in the UK to get it removed at will.  It is here. 9-18 months is not "a bit".  Wow.   I paid zero out of pocket after insurance, so what exactly is your point?

My DD had GB surgery last year.  At the time she was covered by Anthem Blue Cross on one of their silver plans.  Her Co-pay was only $1000.  They are on Kaisers gold plan now and get much better coverage.  

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

The discussion comparing nhs to private appears to have vanished but I will put this into the mix fwiw. My father 82 and diabetic is going for his vaccine in our small home town Wednesday. They rang him like 10 minutes ago and he is not in the top priority grouping not to my knowledge. The rollout in UK seems to be moving pretty quick if they are getting in touch with him. We had thought he would be at least late Jan or Feb. I can believe the figure being touted in America for 100 million by march given the speed of things.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, baileymouse said:

Sign me up! I work with the public, so I was planning on getting the vaccine anyway.

My DIL who is an RN and  I mentioned above got her test results back in 24 hours.  She's negative.  She still doesn't know when they're getting their shots, but they fall under the umbrella of INOVA which is a huge healthcare network here in VA so I would assume they will get a huge amount for their employees, starting with the hospital workers.  She will definitely get the vaccine as soon as it's offered to them.