Which APEX/EDGE Itinerary Would You Select?

LGW59

Both in Oct 2022:

EDEGE - Rome, Sicily, Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul (overnight), Ephesus, Athens, Naples, Rome - includes 3 days at sea

APEX - Rome, Olympia, Athens, Ephesus, Haifa, Jerusalem (overnight), Limassol, Rome - includes 4 days at sea

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Both in Oct 2022:

EDEGE - Rome, Sicily, Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul (overnight), Ephesus, Athens, Naples, Rome - includes 3 days at sea

APEX - Rome, Olympia, Athens, Ephesus, Haifa, Jerusalem (overnight), Limassol, Rome - includes 4 days at sea

We've never been to any of those ports, but based only on the number of ports and one less sea day, we would book the Edge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Unless you have visited some of these ports and aren't interested in revisiting, I'd also vote for the Edge.

Only to Rome and Sicily.  My SO is definitely favoring the EDGE. 

Edge. Even Though I have visited all ports except Sicily and Rhodes, I would happily visit them all again, and again.

That being said, at this point in time Jerusalem  is very low on my 'places to go' list whereas Istanbul is a place I love.

I have been following the other conversations on these particular cruises and, except that I refuse to book a cruise at this time, I am sorely tempted to book the Edge, a marvelous itinerary in my eyes.

Cheers, h 🥂

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The overnight in Istanbul makes the Edge the one we would pick.  Loved our overnight there.

Thank you!  Also from what we have heard from folks on CC, getting to Jerusalem from the port can be several hours with nightmarish traffic.  Seems to be relatively easy from the port in Istanbul.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Both in Oct 2022:

Edge! Sounds amazing. 

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Both in Oct 2022:

With either itinerary, you are starting and ending in Rome...and visiting Athens and Ephesus...so those are a "wash"...So, the difference is really Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, Naples and two days (are they full days?) in Istanbul versus Olympia, Limasol, Haifa and two days in Jerusalem...

I have cruised to all of these ports, many more than once...and I've visited Istanbul for multiple days pre- and post-cruise and Israel on a "land" trip.

For that Edge itinerary, my view is that you can pick up cruises that visit Mykonos and Santorini all the time (I've stopped at both on several cruises)...Mykonos is a nice little island, but not a lot to see...If you like beaches, it has some nice ones, but, if you want history, you need to take a tour over to Delos.  Santorini is a fantastic little island, but often overcrowded by cruise ships.  Rhodes is also a nice little island with great medieval fortifications...Naples is a great launching point to visit Pompeii or Herculaneum...or the Amalfi Coast if you like scenery. But the prize here is Istanbul--which is fascinating.  OTOH, many cruises begin or end in Istanbul, so, some other time, you might want to take one of those and stay in Istanbul for several days before or after.  And, there is always the specter of the questionable government in Turkey--and the rise of Islamic fundamentalism...Cruise lines have often pulled the port in recent years.  Of course, many will say go there while you can.

With the Apex itinerary, Olympia has one great archaeological site to visit--the original Olympic games site, of course...Limasol has some archaeological sites as well...But the three days in Israel are amazing.  Depending on your religious background, there are incredible sites from both the old and new testaments...and, even with three days, hardly enough time not to be overwhelmed.  When we visited by cruise, we took private tours.  From Haifa, we visited two great archaeological sites--Caesarea--Herod's great Roman seaport and Megiddo--the original "Armageddon", an archaeological site with 26 different civilizations layered one over the next...as well as an historical Kibbutz and a tour of Haifa itself.  From Ashdod (the port for Jerusalem), we did a visit to Yad Vashem (Israel's Holocaust Museum) and a walking tour through the Old City and its many sites.  With a second day, you might consider a trip down to Masada--the incredible desert fortress on a mountaintop where the inhabitants held off the Roman armies for several months.

Of course, Israel also deserves more than a three-day visit...So, depending on any plans to return to the region, the choices may differ.  I I was going to base everything on having only one single visit, the allure of Israel would be too much to pass up--so, Id take the Apex.

BTW, our ride into Jerusalem did NOT "take several hours"...It's only about 40 miles.  Our guide picked us up promptly at the port...and we were in Jerusalem in about an hour.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

With either itinerary, you are starting and ending in Rome...and visiting Athens and Ephesus...so those are a "wash"...So, the difference is really Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, Naples and two days (are they full days?) in Istanbul versus Olympia, Limasol, Haifa and two days in Jerusalem...

I have cruised to all of these ports, many more than once...and I've visited Istanbul for multiple days pre- and post-cruise and Israel on a "land" trip.

For that Edge itinerary, my view is that you can pick up cruises that visit Mykonos and Santorini all the time (I've stopped at both on several cruises)...Mykonos is a nice little island, but not a lot to see...If you like beaches, it has some nice ones, but, if you want history, you need to take a tour over to Delos.  Santorini is a fantastic little island, but often overcrowded by cruise ships.  Rhodes is also a nice little island with great medieval fortifications...Naples is a great launching point to visit Pompeii or Herculaneum...or the Amalfi Coast if you like scenery. But the prize here is Istanbul--which is fascinating.  OTOH, many cruises begin or end in Istanbul, so, some other time, you might want to take one of those and stay in Istanbul for several days before or after.  And, there is always the specter of the questionable government in Turkey--and the rise of Islamic fundamentalism...Cruise lines have often pulled the port in recent years.  Of course, many will say go there while you can.

With the Apex itinerary, Olympia has one great archaeological site to visit--the original Olympic games site, of course...Limasol has some archaeological sites as well...But the three days in Israel are amazing.  Depending on your religious background, there are incredible sites from both the old and new testaments...and, even with three days, hardly enough time not to be overwhelmed.  When we visited by cruise, we took private tours.  From Haifa, we visited two great archaeological sites--Caesarea--Herod's great Roman seaport and Megiddo--the original "Armageddon", an archaeological site with 26 different civilizations layered one over the next...as well as an historical Kibbutz and a tour of Haifa itself.  From Ashdod (the port for Jerusalem), we did a visit to Yad Vashem (Israel's Holocaust Museum) and a walking tour through the Old City and its many sites.  With a second day, you might consider a trip down to Masada--the incredible desert fortress on a mountaintop where the inhabitants held off the Roman armies for several months.

Of course, Israel also deserves more than a three-day visit...So, depending on any plans to return to the region, the choices may differ.  I I was going to base everything on having only one single visit, the allure of Israel would be too much to pass up--so, Id take the Apex.

BTW, our ride into Jerusalem did NOT "take several hours"...It's only about 40 miles.  Our guide picked us up promptly at the port...and we were in Jerusalem in about an hour.

Wow, thank you so much for this great personal experience perspective!  If we do Israel, would love to get the Christian, Jewish and Islamic viewpoint on the major religious sites.

Israel is definitely better experienced by doing a land tour, Imo. There is so much history and so many things to see in Jerusalem alone, even with two days.

I will second the suggestion of a visit to Masada. Another must see place is the town of  Bethlehem.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Israel is definitely better experienced by doing a land tour, Imo. There is so much history and so many things to see in Jerusalem alone, even with two days.

I will second the suggestion of a visit to Masada. Another must see place is the town of  Bethlehem.

That sure seems to be the prevailing thought of those of you who have done this via either cruise or land, land seems to be the winner!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

That sure seems to be the prevailing thought of those of you who have done this via either cruise or land, land seems to be the winner!

I went by land, not only to Israel but Egypt as well. It was the trip of a lifetime.

• Like 2

Great choices on either one, and cruising in October means ports normally pretty crowded will be much nicer, especially Santorini which we enjoyed in November. 

We spent 5 days in Istanbul prior to a Black Sea cruise and Loved it! Very open and friendly and very very different from so many other ports. Great tours but we spent a lot of time in the Spice and Main Bazaars - I’d wander through those all day! 

Been to Jerusalem and areas around it, but I’m afraid its a place I’d recommend as a land tour for an extended time; 2 days would be OK, but you’ll feel as if you’ve missed a great deal.....and you will. 

it’s great to be able to choose such great cruises on these two very interesting ships. We’ve done Edge and will do (hopefully) Apex for Thanksgiving 2021; had to cancel our Apex 2021 Transatlantic. 

Den

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Great choices on either one, and cruising in October means ports normally pretty crowded will be much nicer, especially Santorini which we enjoyed in November. 

We spent 5 days in Istanbul prior to a Black Sea cruise and Loved it! Very open and friendly and very very different from so many other ports. Great tours but we spent a lot of time in the Spice and Main Bazaars - I’d wander through those all day! 

Been to Jerusalem and areas around it, but I’m afraid its a place I’d recommend as a land tour for an extended time; 2 days would be OK, but you’ll feel as if you’ve missed a great deal.....and you will. 

it’s great to be able to choose such great cruises on these two very interesting ships. We’ve done Edge and will do (hopefully) Apex for Thanksgiving 2021; had to cancel our Apex 2021 Transatlantic. 

Den

Thank you all, we have decided on the EDGE with the overnight in Istanbul.  

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 10:16 PM, Bruin Steve said:

On 12/27/2020 at 10:45 PM, C-Dragons said:

On 12/27/2020 at 11:25 PM, cantstopingcruising said:

There is so much to see in Israel. It merits a trip on its own.

The port to Jerusalem is Ashdod, so if your ship stops there, then, as @Bruin Stevementioned above, you'll have about an hour to travel. If you'll hire a good guide, you'll be able to see a lot.

My 2 cents...

If you want just a taste of Israel, or you don't know if you'll ever be in this region again, this cruise should be enough. Stops in Israel are rarely offered, and, sometimes, they're cancelled, due to the "situation" in our region.... We live in a "volatile" country, and are used to it.

Istanbul -- we've visited for 3 days on a "land" vacation, but that was in 2000. We enjoyed the visit very much and felt safe. The 2nd time was a cruise (2014), which started in Venice and ended with an overnight in Istanbul. By then, the Islamist influence was very visible in Istanbul, and truth to be told, we were happy to fly home, after another day spent in Istanbul (on top of the cruise stop).

I speak, beside English and Hebrew, French and Romanian (in USA people speak to me Spanish, assuming by my appearance that I know this language...), and I preferred to "sell" myself as Romanian tourist, since I felt that Westeners were not always welcomed...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1