Ship Tour or remain onboard.

We went to Passion Island on the Twister through Celebrity. It was expensive, but we spent all day there with a free buffet (so good). There was a bar to purchase drinks if you wanted something other than the unlimited (weak) drinks provided. It was kind of like a resort. There were toys to play on in the water,  hammocks, volleyball, the always present vendors set up in small huts. We'd go again. The twister was a blast!

5 hours ago, zebra36 said:

If I were to visit an new port I would go with a ship tour but would not bother to get off otherwise and would be happy to spend the day on the ship with fewer people on board, hopefully.

I think many people will stay on board if given choice of cruise line excursions or nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

I think many people will stay on board if given choice of cruise line excursions or nothing.

+1

I agree. It makes me laugh when so many people say they will have a “quiet day on the ship” in unpopular ports like Nassau and Falmouth and this will makes the situation even worse.

We really enjoy TAs with lots of sea days but I see nothing relaxing or exciting about spending a day docked in port with nothing open and no open water to look at. 

We rarely do ship excursions but even if we don't have any private plans we like to get off and walk around and find somewhere different for a drink and a snack.

• Like 1

Of my 4 upcoming cruises, 3 are within Europe, and 1 is a Transatlantic following a Greek Isles cruise.  I would cancel the cruise or do a land-only trip - before I would cruise in Europe and stay onboard the ship while it’s in port. Good thing I don’t mind ship tours, although I would miss not being able to wander on my own.

17 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

Of my 4 upcoming cruises, 3 are within Europe, and 1 is a Transatlantic following a Greek Isles cruise.  I would cancel the cruise or do a land-only trip - before I would cruise in Europe and stay onboard the ship while it’s in port. Good thing I don’t mind ship tours, although I would miss not being able to wander on my own.

That is a huge issue with us. 

• Like 2

When I started cruising in the 70’s as a single I always traveled with single world which had its own host and tours they were great so never did a real ships tour until I got married in 1991, now we always enjoy going on our own or with people from our roll call . The only advantage on ships tour is they guarantee ship will wait. But we have never came even close to missing ship, in 70 cruises.

The thing we dislike most about the ship tours is that they usually consist of large groups of people, although occasionally smaller group tours are offered.  We prefer booking tours offered by individual tour companies with smaller groups, or exploring on our own. 

Most of our upcoming cruises are to Europe or Australia/NZ, so if ship tours are required to leave the ship we will book a ship tour. We would not consider visiting a different country and staying on the ship. We would miss our free time to wander on our own after the tour though. When we cruise the Caribbean, since we have been to the ports numerous, times we usually get off the ship explore on our own, and find a place to eat local food and have some drinks. I guess for our Caribbean cruises we'll just take a look at the ship excursion offerings and see if there's anything that interests us. If not, we'll just stay on the ship. 

I'm thinking Coco Cay and Labadee don't require a ship tour to leave the ship, but I wonder about Falmouth. Hopefully we can visit the fenced in port area without a tour.

Edited by lr657
  • Like 1

We have used ship tours mostly but occassional, especially if its just a beach day we will use a different tour or just grab a cab. With the new larger ships, and since we have sailed a lot we find the ships a destination as well and enjoy being on board while the crowd is off ship so that doesn't bother us. I do believe that many of the tours will make a move to get qualified by RCCL and that they will work to expand qualified tours moving forward. I get it that the price might be a little higher as the ship gets a cut but are willing to pay that to insure them meet the ship standards and that they know we are on shore. The smaller tour comment is valid but also hope that both the tours and the company come together to satisfy those desires. 

2 hours ago, lr657 said:

I'm thinking Coco Cay and Labadee don't require a ship tour to leave the ship, but I wonder about Falmouth. Hopefully we can visit the fenced in port area without a tour.

They might let you off to browse on your own in Falmouth if you are the only ship there, if another ship is there, I doubt it.  They will try to keep each ship within its own bubble.

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

They might let you off to browse on your own in Falmouth if you are the only ship there, if another ship is there, I doubt it.  They will try to keep each ship within its own bubble.

That would be nice if that would be the protocol for all the ports. I doubt it.  

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

That would be nice if that would be the protocol for all the ports. I doubt it.  

They should be able to do it at Falmouth, Coco Cay, Labadee and other cruise line manufactured ports.  No way to do it at St Marten, St Thomas and other large port like that where there are upwards of seven ships in port at the same time.

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

They should be able to do it at Falmouth, Coco Cay, Labadee and other cruise line manufactured ports.  No way to do it at St Marten, St Thomas and other large port like that where there are upwards of seven ships in port at the same time.

That's why I said (and agreeing with you #63) "that would be nice if that would be the protocol for all the ports. I doubt it". Of course if there was more than one ship in port, no matter the port stop, no doubt about it, it would be a no go getting off and wandering around on our own. Until then...

It is what it is. If rcl requires that to cruise, then that's what I'll do. Its follow the safety rules until they are lifted or dont cruise. I dont understand all the complaining, since that wouldnt change cdc or rcl rules to start cruising. Stay home it's your choice. Maybe some really will cancel and prices drop. Great. Lol. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lr657 said:

The thing we dislike most about the ship tours is that they usually consist of large groups of people, although occasionally smaller group tours are offered.  We prefer booking tours offered by individual tour companies with smaller groups, or exploring on our own. 

Most of our upcoming cruises are to Europe or Australia/NZ, so if ship tours are required to leave the ship we will book a ship tour. We would not consider visiting a different country and staying on the ship. We would miss our free time to wander on our own after the tour though. When we cruise the Caribbean, since we have been to the ports numerous, times we usually get off the ship explore on our own, and find a place to eat local food and have some drinks. I guess for our Caribbean cruises we'll just take a look at the ship excursion offerings and see if there's anything that interests us. If not, we'll just stay on the ship. 

You can wonder all over Falmouth outside the gates with no problem...usually.  But agree...will most likely be limited to inside the gates.  Though as hungry as Jamaica is(as with just about every port in the Carib by now 😞 )...could be anything goes.  

Edited by island lady

19 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I would sure hope they'd allow people off at Falmouth since I'm sure Jamaica wants as much economic impact of that local shopping area as possible.

Best thing is the free internet on the second floor of Diamonds International.

3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Nah...it's that shot of "free" Rum they give you as you are buying watches/jewelry.  😮😉  Or is the "beautiful" shopping bag?  😄 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Nah...it's that shot of "free" Rum they give you as you are buying watches/jewelry.  😮😉  Or is the "beautiful" shopping bag?  😄 

Pat, I like your justification better. We are always disconnected from the world while on cruises or any other type of vacation. The only time I use our DS (😉)internet minutes is to print off our airline boarding passes on the last day of the cruises.  

13 minutes ago, yogimax said:

14 minutes ago, island lady said:

Nope, it's the "free" charm you get as you notice you are being followed as you walk through the store.