Crew rehiring/vaccination progress around the world

BillOh

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Lol homeless people with access to peoples stateroom ... I'm sure I'd feel safer.

The 3rd vaccine costs only about $5 a dose, ...requires no special handling and been approved in the UK. My vote is they would buy this vaccine, cheap and easy to administer. Our FDA has always been slow, and requires another round of testing ..but if UK approves, I think it could be used.

Wouldn't count on cruise lines being able to purchase vaccine anytime soon.  Vaccine mfrs have pretty much sold out their 2021 production to governments around the world.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Lol homeless people with access to peoples stateroom ... I'm sure I'd feel safer

As opposed to what? That creepy ass guy who raped the woman on the holland america ship a couple of years back he hid her bathroom didn't he after she said something about his family?. IF they are clean for substance abuse and have no felony records which is probably the standard for employing americans not having a felony record then why not. And a lot of people are newly homeless in this pandemic I am not talking about people who choose that lifestyle and some do. IF RCL were able to get money for employing people like that they might be tempted for a while at least. You think they will be allowed to bring foreign staff into the USA and vaccinate them there ahead of Americans. I don't think that would be received too well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

I never saw the data for 90%? I heard they screwed up with the phase 3 doses and the people who got only 1/2 of the first vaccine increased the efficacy to 70%. Two full doses had a much lower efficacy result. What are the dose changes now?

No desire to argue but personally, if I had a choice I would go with the 95% effective vaccine compared with 70% but, there wouldn't be much of a concern for me between 90% and 95%.

Thanks,

John

62% and 90% for a average of 70%

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

The Oxford/AZ vaccine has also been approved in India, where it is also manufactured 

I can't speak for RCL only ever been once. But the vast majority of the staff on NCL/Cunard do not appear to be Indian. So just because the AZ has been approved doesn't mean that countries in that region who supply the majority of lower paid cruise ship staff can get hold of large quantities of that vaccine quickly. Or even if they are be able to quickly vaccinate the younger persons who then travel overseas seeking work. It is likely those younger people are at the bottom of their country's vaccination listings the same as people here in UK and in USA. Cruise lines are also likely to want the full regime to be completed. So will there be the same 12 week gap between shots? If yes then you are looking at a 12 week gap to persons on the lowest rung of the ladder in their country. Could still be a long time wait.

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

I never saw the data for 90%? I heard they screwed up with the phase 3 doses and the people who got only 1/2 of the first vaccine increased the efficacy to 70%. Two full doses had a much lower efficacy result. What are the dose changes now?

No desire to argue but personally, if I had a choice I would go with the 95% effective vaccine compared with 70% but, there wouldn't be much of a concern for me between 90% and 95%.

Thanks,

John

And that screw up of data is why it will probably never be approved for use in USA.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Thank you for the link and I really hope their continued trials confirm the lower first dose is truly 90%.

It was kind of disappointing to read this paragraph though:

Despite these significant steps, AZD1222 will not be available in the United States any time soon. The trials there were halted while a potentially adverse reaction was investigated, making them a step behind in data collection. Also, AstraZeneca will now have to seek approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to change their trial protocol to incorporate this new lower dose followed by a higher dose regimen.

Cheers,

John

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

What about literally off the streets of america as in homeless people. Aren't there homeless employment programs and don't they offer financial aid for that kind of thing?. I am sure there are I am sure they do. 

LOL 🙂  There is absolutely nothing in those statements that is accurate or going to happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Thank you for the link and I really hope their continued trials confirm the lower first dose is truly 90%.

It was kind of disappointing to read this paragraph though:

Despite these significant steps, AZD1222 will not be available in the United States any time soon. The trials there were halted while a potentially adverse reaction was investigated, making them a step behind in data collection. Also, AstraZeneca will now have to seek approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to change their trial protocol to incorporate this new lower dose followed by a higher dose regimen.

Cheers,

John

March or maybe February is what has been mentioned for the FDA EUA process.  Without getting political, it'll be a different administration by then obviously, so it'll be interesting to see if they accelerate that timeline or not.

29 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

As opposed to what? That creepy ass guy who raped the woman on the holland america ship a couple of years back he hid her bathroom didn't he after she said something about his family?. IF they are clean for substance abuse and have no felony records which is probably the standard for employing americans not having a felony record then why not. And a lot of people are newly homeless in this pandemic I am not talking about people who choose that lifestyle and some do. IF RCL were able to get money for employing people like that they might be tempted for a while at least. You think they will be allowed to bring foreign staff into the USA and vaccinate them there ahead of Americans. I don't think that would be received too well.

You just don't have a clue what you're talking about.  Currently in the US food service and retail businesses are crying for people to work for 10-13.00/hour and can't find people who will take the jobs.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

You just don't have a clue what you're talking about.  Currently in the US food service and retail businesses are crying for people to work for 10-13.00/hour and can't find people who will take the jobs.  

Well they must not be looking hard enough then. I thought the american unemployment was highest it has been in a long time. With a lot of new people becoming homeless or at least a facing state where they will be homeless once the eviction block ends because they owe so much money and the benefit check has not been approved has it?. And I also thought most of the hospitality industry has been wiped out at least in places like New York, LA etc and may not come back for a long time.

Edited by ace2542
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Without getting political, it'll be a different administration by then obviously

That depends upon the reason for refusal. I have always thought a lot of it would be to do with Northern Ireland and brexit and the border of Rep and Northern Ireland and our plans to violate international law by imposing hard border checks. International law will now not be violated apparently.

5 hours ago, BillOh said:

As we approach the last 30 days of official cancelled cruises, I expect an update soon.   Any word of large scale re-hirings?  I really haven't read much about a vaccine out side of North America and the UK.  
(by choice, I've been keeping my head in the sand about cruising since rebooking my canceled May 2020 cruise.

There’s been a fair bit of advertising for senior food and beverage in the last couple of weeks.

1866AA0A-9928-465A-8F16-FC70C672CD42.thumb.png.349c5ad3b11f1a58212266fafd472c50.png

14 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Well they must not be looking hard enough then. I thought the american unemployment was highest it has been in a long time. With a lot of new people becoming homeless or at least a facing state where they will be homeless once the eviction block ends because they owe so much money and the benefit check has not been approved has it?. And I also thought most of the hospitality industry has been wiped out at least in places like New York, LA etc and may not come back for a long time.

One problem the USA made for itself was a large supplemental unemployment payment on top of what they would get through the state, and some people actually were making more money not working than going back to work. That has since run out, but a new supplemental payment (albeit half as much) was set up, so we'll see how things change in the new year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

One problem the USA made for itself was a large supplemental unemployment payment on top of what they would get through the state, and some people actually were making more money not working than going back to work

I have heard that mentioned before.

22 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And what data do you have for this?  Many of the homeless just don’t want to work. 

The United States Department of Health and Human Services estimates the number of chronically homeless at 100,000–200,000. About a quarter to a third of the homeless have a serious mental illness — usually schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or severe depression 

Edited by gc
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Not a good link. Must be the same for Ace. 😂

figures the link wouldn't work on this site! 

Edited by gc
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, gc said:

The United States Department of Health and Human Services estimates the number of chronically homeless at 100,000–200,000. About a quarter to a third of the homeless have a serious mental illness — usually schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or severe depression 

And that proves what?   I would say the majority just don’t want to work. IMHO

Boris Johnson just announced that they want to have vaccinated the first 4 categories by mid February

1:  Residents in care homes for older adults and their carers
2:  80-year-olds and over and frontline health and social care workers
3: 75-year-olds and over
4: 70-year-olds and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals

And England will go into lockdown with schools closed to the majority of students until at least the middle/late February

The other nations of the UK are following similar plans

Call me cynical but it took 4 weeks to vaccinate 35k in Wales with the Pfizer vaccine, even with the Astrazeneca vaccine we would have to vaccinate 24k a day and we only received 20k population allowance day 1, I think it may take a little longer than Boris Johnson hopes. 

I would love to proven wrong 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

Boris Johnson just announced that they want to have vaccinated the first 4 categories by mid February

1:  Residents in care homes for older adults and their carers
2:  80-year-olds and over and frontline health and social care workers
3: 75-year-olds and over
4: 70-year-olds and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals

And England will go into lockdown with schools closed to the majority of students until at least the middle/late February

The other nations of the UK are following similar plans

Call me cynical but it took 4 weeks to vaccinate 35k in Wales with the Pfizer vaccine, even with the Astrazeneca vaccine we would have to vaccinate 24k a day and we only received 20k population allowance day 1, I think it may take a little longer than Boris Johnson hopes. 

I would love to proven wrong 

I was just reading about the UK lockdown. I wish everyone well. Lockdown is not fun for anyone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am essential crew currently on a Royal Caribbean ship.  The new strain of the virus is creating havoc for schedulers and ships right now, as countries are constantly shifting the goalposts, and making it very difficult to get even essential crews on and off ships right now.  Many feeder countries are currently blacklisted, and ships are unsure if even scheduled sign-on/off dates can go ahead as planned.  This new strain has really changed the game, for the time being.  It's hard enough getting 100 crew to a ship right now.  2500 for the big ships is damn near impossible at the moment.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3