Crew rehiring/vaccination progress around the world

BillOh

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

As I have said to you before, if you think cruising is going to fail then you may as well log off of CC and walk away.  Work programs in the UK and other countries do not really help the cruise lines so why even mention it except to gloat.

I know that cruises are not going to happen anytime soon.  I also know that it will take at least a year from now for it to possibly look anything close to where it did in January of 2019.  

I however don't go on and on in depth about other countries failures compared to mine because in no way does that does not help the cruise industry.  Please don't throw out your shoulder, while you pat your own back.

Boy, I would so much rather be following a “live from” thread  that you are great posting than having these conversations! You must be going out of your mind! How’s that Canadian weather this year! 

Cheers! 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I'm waiting for the johnson and johnson one jab one.  It will probably be out around the same time that I would be able to get the over 65 one

Some encouraging news from J&J's website:

"The large-scale, pivotal, multi-country Phase 3 trial (ENSEMBLE) of the investigational Janssen COVID-19 single-dose vaccine candidate is now fully enrolled with approximately 45,000 participants. Given the high incidence of COVID-19 among the general population in the countries where the trial is being conducted, this number of participants will be sufficient to generate the data needed to determine the efficacy and safety of the Company’s investigational COVID-19 vaccine candidate. Johnson & Johnson expresses its thanks to all participants, trial sites and health care professionals involved in the ENSEMBLE study.

Interim data from the ENSEMBLE trial is currently anticipated to be available by the end of January 2021. However, as this trial is dependent on disease events, the timing is approximate. If the data indicate the vaccine is safe and effective, the Company expects to submit an Emergency Use Authorization application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in February. Other health regulatory applications around the world will be made in parallel."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Some encouraging news from J&J's website:

"The large-scale, pivotal, multi-country Phase 3 trial (ENSEMBLE) of the investigational Janssen COVID-19 single-dose vaccine candidate is now fully enrolled with approximately 45,000 participants. Given the high incidence of COVID-19 among the general population in the countries where the trial is being conducted, this number of participants will be sufficient to generate the data needed to determine the efficacy and safety of the Company’s investigational COVID-19 vaccine candidate. Johnson & Johnson expresses its thanks to all participants, trial sites and health care professionals involved in the ENSEMBLE study.

Interim data from the ENSEMBLE trial is currently anticipated to be available by the end of January 2021. However, as this trial is dependent on disease events, the timing is approximate. If the data indicate the vaccine is safe and effective, the Company expects to submit an Emergency Use Authorization application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in February. Other health regulatory applications around the world will be made in parallel."

That will be game changer allowing you to quickly drive down the spread of the vaccine without the need for the second shot to consider a person fully vaccinated. The UK will be partaking in it apparently if what is written on the net is to believed. Interesting considering that both countries have on order enough to vaccinate more than the population from other sources. And in UK we will get what we are given on the NHS to keep it out of the hands of the profit sector. I don't think we get to choose.

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The CDC and CLIA went through great lengths to come up with return to cruising protocols that didn't factor in a vaccine.

Surely they aren't going to scrap all that and just wait it out a few more months.

There efforts also didn't factor someone getting onboard with it as well. The CDC stated that the cruise lines need to provide logistics and plans to house an entire ship in case of a covid outbreak onboard. That includes a 14-day quarantine at a facility for all passengers. The first issue is the cruise lines are not even addressing this issue. That means there will not be any sailings. Second, how many cruisers are going to agree to a mandatory, prison like quarantine that the US government has control when you can leave it? I for one would probably lose my job in a mandatory 14-day quarantine. Not sure how many other working cruisers this would affect, but I suspect a very large number.

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

I think covid is bigger than nationalism. I don't care who makes it or where as long as we can all get our lives back to what they were as soon as possible. 

I find it interesting to hear what positive things are being done in other countries and about advances around the world 

The thing is that the various successes in research, vaccine production and implementation etc from other parts of the world don't fit into the 'America first and best' narrative of some on these boards. Hence the need to take pot shots. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

There efforts also didn't factor someone getting onboard with it as well. The CDC stated that the cruise lines need to provide logistics and plans to house an entire ship in case of a covid outbreak onboard. That includes a 14-day quarantine at a facility for all passengers. The first issue is the cruise lines are not even addressing this issue. That means there will not be any sailings. Second, how many cruisers are going to agree to a mandatory, prison like quarantine that the US government has control when you can leave it? I for one would probably lose my job in a mandatory 14-day quarantine. Not sure how many other working cruisers this would affect, but I suspect a very large number.

The CDC sailing order threw that in there with no real detail. It just says there has to be an agreement with a nearby facility for quarantine. Not that people have to go there. One can reasonably connect the dots, but that lack of detail is concerning for reasons you mention.

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I'm waiting for the johnson and johnson one jab one.  It will probably be out around the same time that I would be able to get the over 65 one

I know you keep saying that. However, is your decision all about the one shot or are you considering safety and efficacy at all?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I know you keep saying that. However, is your decision all about the one shot or are you considering safety and efficacy at all?

Yes/No😇  Not sure when it comes down to it if I will have a choice of which vaccine I get

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Bobal said:

The thing is that the various successes in research, vaccine production and implementation etc from other parts of the world don't fit into the 'America first and best' narrative of some on these boards. Hence the need to take pot shots. 

Not true at all. We just get sick of the pot shots that come our way on these boards from people in other countries. I don't read many American posts knocking other countries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Maybe they approved it as a sign of national pride

More nationalism🤔

Absolutely, but surely your government must be pulling hard for the vaccine from your flagship university. 

As far as India, they have a large stake in the AZ program as well

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Not true at all. We just get sick of the pot shots that come our way on these boards from people in other countries. I don't read many American posts knocking other countries.

Mmmm, our definition of pot-shots is clearly at odds. You don't see the aforementioned swipes as pot-shots? Or is it acceptable if you're a BNOC 🙄

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Mmmm, our definition of pot-shots is clearly at odds. You don't see the aforementioned swipes as pot-shots? Or is it acceptable if you're a BNOC 🙄

What is BNOC? You quoted one poster. Heck, Ace has been pointing out America's deficiencies for weeks now. I read shots from many different people frequently. All the while I have on many occasions talked about my love for England and other countries.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is BNOC? You quoted one poster. Heck, Ace has been pointing out America's deficiencies for weeks now. I read shots from many different people frequently. All the while I have on many occasions talked about my love for England and other countries.

A Bnoc (prounounced bee-knock) is a self-proclaimed campus celebrity – often the chair of a society or involved in student politics. The term is often used to mock the subject for their delusions of grandeur, rather than as a compliment.

It does make one chuckle though to see the obsession with pointing out our flaws to us.  A perfect example of pot calling the kettle black.  I find it amusing the comments about my country.  I enjoy visiting other countries which is the big reason I started to go on cruises.  I personally would never insult people of another country about their culture because I come from a place that is very diverse with different cultures in the US. 

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

No pot shots by me. More like a full broadside.😉

But I stand behind what i typed. Did not mean to be offensive in any way.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is BNOC? You quoted one poster. Heck, Ace has been pointing out America's deficiencies for weeks now

Your deficiencies in this pandemic perhaps prove sorry but the United States of America does not work at least not in this situation. With your state and federal laws and one trumping or not trumping the other no pun intended. Because you have no final authority because President Trump is not or does not wish to be a final authority rightly or wrongly. Maybe Obama would have been better maybe Biden wil be better. We go into lockdown rightly or wrongly because Boris Johnson says so. Also fwiw don't think the labour party under Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn would have done much better. Especially considering his brother is a big anti vaxxer. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Your deficiencies in this pandemic perhaps prove sorry but the United States of America does not work at least not in this situation.  

Not much different than the "cohesive" response from the devolved countries in the U.K. The only one I've seen that has shown any competence in  how to do things right is Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

You quoted one poster. Heck, Ace has been pointing out America's deficiencies for weeks now. I read shots from many different people frequently. All the while I have on many occasions talked about my love for England and other countries.

I quoted one user just as an eg. Sorry if I picked on your pal but I assure you Ace in no way represents any of my views and I gaze open-mouthed at his proclamations 😀 i too have a lot of love for the US and it's the country I have visited most in the world, and I travel widely. Unfortunately these boards are a showcase for some of its more opinionated inhabitants who, much as they would like to think it, are often not right 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Some actually choose that life on purpose. Do you watch the first 48 or homicide's elite the documentary show about those Atlanta detectives?. If you do you do remember the one with the Atlanta serial killer shooting homeless people back in 2014. His first victim was like a 60 year old guy who had a son and a daughter he would go home to them for christmas and thanksgiving they would beg their father to stay with them in their spare rooms every year and he wouldn't do it. He wanted that lifestyle.

This is actually true....we knew someone that preferred living in a homeless encampment rather than with the family that would help him. But we believe some of that may have had to do with his PTSD from the military...very sad indeed.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The only one I've seen that has shown any competence in  how to do things right is Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon

That is very true. And Australia and New Zealand have a done a pretty decent job. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bobal said:

I quoted one user just as an eg. Sorry if I picked on your pal but I assure you Ace in no way represents any of my views and I gaze open-mouthed at his proclamations 😀 i too have a lot of love for the US and it's the country I have visited most in the world, and I travel widely. Unfortunately these boards are a showcase for some of its more opinionated inhabitants who, much as they would like to think it, are often not right 

Just scroll by or put people on ignore.  Some openly admit that they like to post contrary to everything just to stir the pot.  Not worth the effort reading a lot of it, especially the gang that likes to take over every post, making it just about them and taking every thread off topic.

On topic, I really think we are going to hear that cruising is suspended until summer at the earliest.  Cruise lines are going to make vaccines mandatory for all crew and likely won't start sailing until the vaccine is readily available to all and they can aid in crew getting a vaccine if they haven't been able to attain one on their own.

I just hope the next announcement is made prior to my final payment for my May 2021 cruise so I can just take a refund and be done with it.  Extending Lift and Shift would work for us too as we have a really good rate on a Sky Loft. 😄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Cruise lines are going to make vaccines mandatory for all crew and likely won't start sailing until the vaccine is readily available to all and they can aid in crew getting a vaccine if they haven't been able to attain one on their own

If they need to aid crew to get it. As in they procure it on their behalf it will be a very long time before cruising restarts. I will concede to the arguments made on here that the batches for 2021 are on order for countries only. But I will also ask a question to rebut that argument. 

If the cruise lines have no clout in getting vaccines?. Then why are Ford motors laying in 12 ultra cold freezers for the storage of vaccine? Unless it is for the on site vaccination of their operation? And if Ford can get access to the vaccine surely others can?

Edited by ace2542

56 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Just scroll by or put people on ignore.  Some openly admit that they like to post contrary to everything just to stir the pot.  Not worth the effort reading a lot of it, especially the gang that likes to take over every post, making it just about them and taking every thread off topic.

How boring life would be if we all just agreed with each other or took turns patting each other on the back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1