Crew rehiring/vaccination progress around the world

BillOh

As we approach the last 30 days of official cancelled cruises, I expect an update soon.   Any word of large scale re-hirings?  I really haven't read much about a vaccine out side of North America and the UK.  
(by choice, I've been keeping my head in the sand about cruising since rebooking my canceled May 2020 cruise.

I posted the following on another CC thread, to which I read from a FB group.  A person posted on FB how their "crew friend" had a contract for January of 2021.  That contract has since been withdrawn, and their friend is not returning to the ship.

As @Ourusualbeach said, nothing is happening.

• Thanks 1

Whatever time they do restart cruises, it won't be a full restart.  We know ships won't be 100% full. But surely they won't restart all ship at once either.  They may start cruising again in March, April, May, but they definitely won't need their full contingent of staffer to do so.

Three things to consider. Status of U.S embassies around the world as in visa processing. Nationality of staff as in travel bans to USA which are still in effect by presidential order and if vaccine is to be written into contract of employment as requirement? Which if so could slow the rehire process down by some way irrespective of whether embassies are processing needed visas and if travel is even possible for hired staff. Or perhaps money will talk as it always does and cruise companies might be able to get their hands on the needed doses of vaccine.

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Whatever time they do restart cruises, it won't be a full restart.  We know ships won't be 100% full. But surely they won't restart all ship at once either.  They may start cruising again in March, April, May, but they definitely won't need their full contingent of staffer to do so.

An interesting reply to your post for you. If they don't need full contingent of staff perhaps they hire the housekeeping, bar wait, laundry staff from the U.S instead? And put them on a short term contract till vaccines can bring the old staff back which could be many months away. That might be expensive though and not well received once people discover American staff will be sacked and replaced with cheap foreign labour.

Edited by ace2542

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

than to hire off the streets in America

What about literally off the streets of america as in homeless people. Aren't there homeless employment programs and don't they offer financial aid for that kind of thing?. I am sure there are I am sure they do. But again would be a touchy thing if and when they cut the workforce for cheap labour. And I can see bringing in an overseas workforce to USA for vaccination going down well either. Considering quarantine costs (hotels) and even immigration detention centres might be needed.

Edited by ace2542
  • Haha 1

As much as I want to go on our first cruise (other than night time gambling cruises), Covid is going to have the cruises shutdown in the US for a some time. Yes there is a vaccine, but the government has proven very inefficient with it. Over night lines, slow roll out, lack of supply, and in a lot of places people unwilling to take it. The joke was why wasn't Chick Fil A given the vaccine because they can process massive lines of cars in minutes. The reality is that 1st world countries are not vaccinated yet. Cruises go to 2nd world countries which are way down the list and if they need to be vaccinated too, then cruising may be a long way off.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yep.  Just an outright cancel...not even a rescheduling.  Tells me that march and April are definitely toast.

Our 40th anniversary is coming up in May, so I'm holding out small hope.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Our 40th anniversary is coming up in May, so I'm holding out small hope.

Happy Anniversary ahead of time. Sadly, I don't see your cruise sailing.  We have our 58th  anniversary  in February, but already know that cruise is not happening.

Have a great anniversary whatever you decide. Remember, we always have next year.

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

As much as I want to go on our first cruise (other than night time gambling cruises), Covid is going to have the cruises shutdown in the US for a some time. Yes there is a vaccine, but the government has proven very inefficient with it. Over night lines, slow roll out, lack of supply, and in a lot of places people unwilling to take it. The joke was why wasn't Chick Fil A given the vaccine because they can process massive lines of cars in minutes. The reality is that 1st world countries are not vaccinated yet. Cruises go to 2nd world countries which are way down the list and if they need to be vaccinated too, then cruising may be a long way off.

Lol homeless people with access to peoples stateroom ... I'm sure I'd feel safer.

The 3rd vaccine costs only about $5 a dose, ...requires no special handling and been approved in the UK. My vote is they would buy this vaccine, cheap and easy to administer. Our FDA has always been slow, and requires another round of testing ..but if UK approves, I think it could be used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mek said:

I hope you have a back up plan.

I've stuck my nose in 3 roll calls for Sept and October that I might switch to. I can tell some of the prices look about 25% higher than I thought they would be, so I guess I know how they are paying for the 125% future cruise credit.

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The 3rd vaccine costs only about $5 a dose, ...requires no special handling and been approved in the UK. 

The Oxford/AZ vaccine has also been approved in India, where it is also manufactured 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BillOh said:

I've stuck my nose in 3 roll calls for Sept and October that I might switch to. I can tell some of the prices look about 25% higher than I thought they would be, so I guess I know how they are paying for the 125% future cruise credit.

All prices are up on all lines. Not just fall 2021, but 2022 too when you cant use fccs. I dont see any bargains. 

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Agree, it wouldnt be hard to vaccinate the crew or as expensive as people think. ..would be worth it if it got cruises moving again.

Good point. With so many Asian staffers, a lot could get vaccinated much more easily than in a western country.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

The 3rd vaccine costs only about $5 a dose, ...requires no special handling and been approved in the UK. ...

You mean the Oxford vaccine that is only maybe 70% effective (with a half first shot)?

Just now, smokeybandit said:

1) 70% is really good

2) They adjusted it to 90% after some dosing changes.

I never saw the data for 90%? I heard they screwed up with the phase 3 doses and the people who got only 1/2 of the first vaccine increased the efficacy to 70%. Two full doses had a much lower efficacy result. What are the dose changes now?

No desire to argue but personally, if I had a choice I would go with the 95% effective vaccine compared with 70% but, there wouldn't be much of a concern for me between 90% and 95%.

Thanks,

John

5 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

I never saw the data for 90%? I heard they screwed up with the phase 3 doses and the people who got only 1/2 of the first vaccine increased the efficacy to 70%. Two full doses had a much lower efficacy result. What are the dose changes now?

No desire to argue but personally, if I had a choice I would go with the 95% effective vaccine compared with 70% but, there wouldn't be much of a concern for me between 90% and 95%.

Thanks,

John

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/astrazeneca-oxford-say-their-vaccine-is-up-to-90percent-effective/ar-BB1bh8Bv

• Thanks 1