Crew rehiring/vaccination progress around the world

BillOh

11 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

But you’re all over the RCL thread. 😇

That reminds me of someone else. 🍯 🤣

55 minutes ago, miraflores said:

I am essential crew currently on a Royal Caribbean ship.  The new strain of the virus is creating havoc for schedulers and ships right now, as countries are constantly shifting the goalposts, and making it very difficult to get even essential crews on and off ships right now.  Many feeder countries are currently blacklisted, and ships are unsure if even scheduled sign-on/off dates can go ahead as planned.  This new strain has really changed the game, for the time being.  It's hard enough getting 100 crew to a ship right now.  2500 for the big ships is damn near impossible at the moment.

I wish everyone well and to be safe. Hopefully this new strain doesn’t make it’s way onboard. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, miraflores said:

I am essential crew currently on a Royal Caribbean ship.  The new strain of the virus is creating havoc for schedulers and ships right now, as countries are constantly shifting the goalposts, and making it very difficult to get even essential crews on and off ships right now.  Many feeder countries are currently blacklisted, and ships are unsure if even scheduled sign-on/off dates can go ahead as planned.  This new strain has really changed the game, for the time being.  It's hard enough getting 100 crew to a ship right now.  2500 for the big ships is damn near impossible at the moment.

Thank you for your update, the last 10 months  must have be so difficult for you. Are they still rotating essential staff or have you been there for the duration?

My old colleagues at a major airline say the same. They fly pax all over the world and rules for countries change daily. 

Edited by sgmn

15 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And what data do you have for this?  Many of the homeless just don’t want to work. 

Seen it on the news. Some people are facing homelessness for the first time and other spoken too on camera reckon it is coming.

14 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And that proves what?   I would say the majority just don’t want to work. IMHO

Some actually choose that life on purpose. Do you watch the first 48 or homicide's elite the documentary show about those Atlanta detectives?. If you do you do remember the one with the Atlanta serial killer shooting homeless people back in 2014. His first victim was like a 60 year old guy who had a son and a daughter he would go home to them for christmas and thanksgiving they would beg their father to stay with them in their spare rooms every year and he wouldn't do it. He wanted that lifestyle.

4 hours ago, miraflores said:

It is the bad the way you guys got treated at the start of this. Fwiw UK media reckons they can "tweak these vaccines within days" to counter this new South Africa strain if they need to do. The so called UK one which is actually the USA one which they gave to us - Because how else do you explain the USA numbers for the last 3 months if it wasn't in America first - That should be ok apparently. The SA one they are not sure about.

9 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Well, there you go. Must be fact. You say facing homelessness. So they are really not homeless. 😂

Well with the ban on evictions you can't really throw people out but people owe a lot of money now don't they. I remember at the very start of the pandemic. The old lady in either Houston or Dallas I think it was. She was like mid 80s and her landlord was throwing her out onto the street for not paying rent. He had a couple of removal men to get her stuff out of the house and the removal men were crying. We saw that on BBC news.

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Well with the ban on evictions you can't really throw people out but people owe a lot of money now don't they. I remember at the very start of the pandemic. The old lady in either Houston or Dallas I think it was. She was like mid 80s and her landlord was throwing her out onto the street for not paying rent. He had a couple of removal men to get her stuff out of the house and the removal men were crying. We saw that on BBC news.

Homeless is an issue around the world for a multitude of varying reasons. However this Forum is about cruising and this thread is about crew rehiring/returns and crew vaccinations not homelessness.  If you want to go down this path you might want to find another Discussion Forum or at least a more appropriate location than here. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Homeless is an issue around the world for a multitude of varying reasons. However this Forum is about cruising and this thread is about crew rehiring/returns and crew vaccinations not homelessness.  If you want to go down this path you might want to find another Discussion Forum or at least a more appropriate location than here. 

Crew will not be vaccinated for a very long time in a lot of these countries from whom they get their workers. Forget the homeless for a second I just thought maybe they had employment programs where you get financial benefit for employing a homeless person and offset the cost of their wages.

Here in UK we have apprenticeships including in hotel management. I suspect you and USA have similar programs. They get a reduced rate of wage  and there is financial benefit to the employer.  Would that an option for UK based sailings or USA based sailings? Or would cruise lines trying to use that be seen as abuse of it. Having the apprentices folding laundry and making up beds for passengers with a little potential for advancement but not much.

20 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Lol homeless people with access to peoples stateroom ... I'm sure I'd feel safer.

The 3rd vaccine costs only about $5 a dose, ...requires no special handling and been approved in the UK. My vote is they would buy this vaccine, cheap and easy to administer. Our FDA has always been slow, and requires another round of testing ..but if UK approves, I think it could be used.

Maybe they approved it as a sign of national pride

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ace2542 said:

What about literally off the streets of america as in homeless people. Aren't there homeless employment programs and don't they offer financial aid for that kind of thing?. I am sure there are I am sure they do. But again would be a touchy thing if and when they cut the workforce for cheap labour. And I can see bringing in an overseas workforce to USA for vaccination going down well either. Considering quarantine costs (hotels) and even immigration detention centres might be needed.

Once again, your in depth knowledge of the workings of the U.S. leaves me awestruck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

More nationalism🤔

🤷‍♀️Sorry I don't know what you mean. Surely it's great more countries are making and distributing the vaccine? 

This thread is about getting crew back. A lot of the crew come from the far east. So we need all peoples in the world to get vaccinated don't we? 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sgmn said:

🤷‍♀️Sorry I don't know what you mean. Surely it's great more countries are making and distributing the vaccine? 

Absolutely, but surely your government must be pulling hard for the vaccine from your flagship university. 

As far as India, they have a large stake in the AZ program as well

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Well they must not be looking hard enough then. I thought the american unemployment was highest it has been in a long time. With a lot of new people becoming homeless or at least a facing state where they will be homeless once the eviction block ends because they owe so much money and the benefit check has not been approved has it?. And I also thought most of the hospitality industry has been wiped out at least in places like New York, LA etc and may not come back for a long time.

Unemployment was high because our economy was shut down.  There were people who were getting the weekly $600 check all the way until July 31, and quite frankly did not feel the need to work as they were collecting unemployment and getting the $600.  The mayors of NYC and LA have had some interesting rules and standards on the reopenings and that is all I will say on that.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Absolutely, but surely your government must be pulling hard for the vaccine from your flagship university. 

As far as India, they have a large stake in the AZ program as well

I think covid is bigger than nationalism. I don't care who makes it or where as long as we can all get our lives back to what they were as soon as possible. 

I find it interesting to hear what positive things are being done in other countries and about advances around the world. 

As far as our govt, I think they have their hands full with what's happening here at the moment. 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Crew will not be vaccinated for a very long time in a lot of these countries from whom they get their workers. Forget the homeless for a second I just thought maybe they had employment programs where you get financial benefit for employing a homeless person and offset the cost of their wages.

Here in UK we have apprenticeships including in hotel management. I suspect you and USA have similar programs. They get a reduced rate of wage  and there is financial benefit to the employer.  Would that an option for UK based sailings or USA based sailings? Or would cruise lines trying to use that be seen as abuse of it. Having the apprentices folding laundry and making up beds for passengers with a little potential for advancement but not much.

As I have said to you before, if you think cruising is going to fail then you may as well log off of CC and walk away.  Work programs in the UK and other countries do not really help the cruise lines so why even mention it except maybe to gloat or brag.  In the cruise world this type of program makes no sense. 

I know that cruises are not going to happen anytime soon.  I also know that it will take at least a year from now for it to possibly look anything close to where it did in January of 2019.  

I however don't go on and on in depth about other countries failures compared to mine because in no way does that does not help the cruise industry.  Please don't throw out your shoulder, while you pat your own back.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I suppose that depends on ones interpretation of positive things?

Israel, Singapore, Australia, NZ plus others

All success stories either in keeping the rates down or rolling out the vaccine 

And the main amazing success is the world's scientific community working together to get several different vaccinations out there in such a short period of time. 

• Thanks 3