VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

7 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Hooray!! Got my second Pfizer dose today at my local grocery pharmacy. Super easy and fast. Appointments are now locally available in multiple locations and easy to get about a week out on almost any day and time. Lots of younger folks getting vaccinated now too. Dh has one more dose to go and then we will just be waiting for a safe effective vaccine for our daughter. Then our whole family will be done. 

Wow!!! That’s great!  We are getting our first tomorrow and won’t know which one until there.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Great   that Canadians are getting vaccinated  

It seemed like a very long wait to get our first one.  Hoping once Canada gets more vaccines,  the wait won’t be 4 months to get our second.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

It seemed like a very long wait to get our first one.  Hoping once Canada gets more vaccines,  the wait won’t be 4 months to get our second.  

Good luck and know no matter which vaccine you end up getting you are protecting yourselves and others! And that's a good thing!

On 4/22/2021 at 11:10 PM, fatcat04 said:

Fantastic!! 👏👏

You may already know this, but if both appointments are scheduled at the same time, you can tell whick you'll be getting by the time interval between shots.

Pfizer 28 days between shots

Moderna 14 days between shots

J&J one shot only. No second appointment.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HamOp said:

You may already know this, but if both appointments are scheduled at the same time, you can tell whick you'll be getting by the time interval between shots.

In our Province in Canada we are told we would get our 2nd vaccine in 4 months, possibly sooner.  We are notified when we can register, then notified when we can book.  We got the Pfizer. 

Edited by canadianbear

23 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

In our Province in Canada we are told we would get our 2nd vaccine in 4 months, possibly sooner.  We are notified when we can register, then notified when we can book.  We got the Pfizer. 

That's a long time between shots, but remember even after only the first injection you are something like 80 percent protected.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HamOp said:

Having received Moderna I know there are 28 days between shots, also there are 21 days between shots for Pfizer.  You are correct about J&J.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2021 at 12:03 AM, canadianbear said:

Wow!!! That’s great!  We are getting our first tomorrow and won’t know which one until there.  

That’s different than here in NB.  When we both signed up for our vaccinations each clinic said what they had.  We both got Pfizer.

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Having received Moderna I know there are 28 days between shots, also there are 21 days between shots for Pfizer.  You are correct about J&J.

Right you are!!

From the CDC web site:

Timing of your second shot

The timing between your first and second shots depends on which vaccine you received.

• If you received the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine, you should get your second shot 3 weeks (or 21 days) after your first.
  • If you received the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine, you should get your second shot 4 weeks (or 28 days) after your first.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

That’s different than here in NB.  When we both signed up for our vaccinations each clinic said what they had.  We both got Pfizer.

Yes, here you could book at pharmacy and know you were getting the Astro vaccine.  Otherwise you found out when you went.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HamOp said:

Right you are!!

From the CDC web site:

Timing of your second shot

The timing between your first and second shots depends on which vaccine you received.

• If you received the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine, you should get your second shot 3 weeks (or 21 days) after your first.
  • If you received the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine, you should get your second shot 4 weeks (or 28 days) after your first.

Maybe is the USA...not here in British Columbia (unless special circumstances)...it’s about 4 months later.  They’re trying to get as many people vaccinated with the first dose as they can.  I hope when we get more supply the 2nd dose for everyone will be sooner. 

5 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Yes, here you could book at pharmacy and know you were getting the Astro vaccine.  Otherwise you found out when you went.  

Interesting. We both went to clinics as it’s faster here than waiting for the pharmacy and the NB website lists the locations and vaccine available.

It just goes to show the difference in procedures in provinces.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

Maybe is the USA...not here in British Columbia (unless special circumstances)...it’s about 4 months later.  They’re trying to get as many people vaccinated with the first dose as they can.  I hope when we get more supply the 2nd dose for everyone will be sooner. 

If it is at all encouraging, the RN who gave me the shot (who was vaccinating on her day off as they all were -  God Bless the nurses doing this) seemed confident it would be sooner and not the 4 months.  She said she had nothing to base it on but I’ll take that with a bit of hope.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Interesting. We both went to clinics as it’s faster here than waiting for the pharmacy and the NB website lists the locations and vaccine available.

It just goes to show the difference in procedures in provinces.

It sure is different in every Province.  We had to register on the government website then wait until we got a text saying we could book.  They would not tell you which vaccine until you showed up.   When they had extra Astro vaccine they opened up the pharmacies to do so that helped a lot of people...then they ran out. 

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

It sure is different in every Province.  We had to register on the government website then wait until we got a text saying we could book.  They would not tell you which vaccine until you showed up.   When they had extra Astro vaccine they opened up the pharmacies to do so that helped a lot of people...then they ran out. 

When we were allowed to register (not until you qualified), you picked your location, time and appointment.  And the vaccine depending on the site.  Of course, that was only if you were going to a clinic.

The other option was the pharmacy which we opted not to do as it seems they have less.  My friends got vaccinated a day before I at a pharmacy and they were in the older age group than I.

It’s slower here as we are not a hot spot other than one zone and now all the vaccine is going there so I am grateful I decided to book and travel for mine.  Well worth it.

• Like 1

Here in Ontario the Health Unit Clinics are dispensing Pfizer and Moderna. If you go to a pharmacy, they will be giving Astrazeneca. 

I got my first shot(Moderna) middle of April and my second shot appointment is for the middle of August. I'm hoping that if Canada is able to get more vaccine doses that the second one might be sooner.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Happy ti hear that Canadian citizens are being vaccinated  & hopefully  the 2nd shots in the regular interval as recommended  by the manufactures  😃

Oh it has been discussed by the health professionals opinions overriding the manufacturers recommendations.  The hope is it will save more people from being hospitalized or dying.  Time will tell here.  

9 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Oh it has been discussed by the health professionals opinions overriding the manufacturers recommendations.  The hope is it will save more people from being hospitalized or dying.  Time will tell here.  

Canadianbear how many days did you have to wait after receiving the text and the date of your appointment.  Did you go to UBC or Kerrisdale Seniors Centre?

22 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Canadianbear how many days did you have to wait after receiving the text and the date of your appointment.  Did you go to UBC or Kerrisdale Seniors Centre?

We could have booked our appointment within a week after receiving the text.  We went to the Italian cultural center. The nurse that gave us the vaccine indicated we would get another text when we could book our second one within 4 months or sooner.  

Edited by canadianbear

14 hours ago, bennybear said:

In Alberta,   The pharmacy we went to had Pfizer.  The health clinic is giving Astra Zeneca.  So different in each province. 

I think it all depends on who has the freezers that are required for Pfizer.

• Like 2