VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

9 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

The appts have all been taken,

but they were available for around 4 hours which is unusual.

Thanks so much! I was volunteering as a retired DDS and was so trying to help him over the last month 1/2. I appreciate your response! Have a good evening 

Denise😊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nocl said:

Actually most of the pharmacies do not need to.  In many cases there is a central location that has the proper storage equipment and the doses are distributed to the pharmacies every day or two to meet their appointment schedule.  In my area there is one hospital feeding 16 different pharmacies.

That is true in the urban areas. Not so much in the rural areas and that is one of the main reasons they want to push the JnJ vaccines into the more rural areas. My wife, being a pharmacist, is updated on this constantly. 

15 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Well we are doing pretty good getting shots in arms compared to the rest of the world.  Of course this raises the issue of where a cruise could go.

3C3787C8-6B01-4DBD-9587-9619A6355E00.png

Seeing the numbers for Japan makes me wonder how Japan thinks the delayed 2020 summer Olympics can still be held for this summer.

• Like 1

I went and checked, Japan has 126 million people but has had less the 10,000 deaths, pretty amazing.  Their current daily case rate is about the same as North Carolina but NC has only 10 million people.

9 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I went and checked, Japan has 126 million people but has had less the 10,000 deaths, pretty amazing.  Their current daily case rate is about the same as North Carolina but NC has only 10 million people.

It is amazing.  Much credit goes to the Japanese habit of wearing masks when out and about and their high hygiene standards (ie hand washing, gargling).

Just now, kazu said:

It is amazing.  Much credit goes to the Japanese habit of wearing masks when out and about and their high hygiene standards (ie hand washing, gargling).

And their hands free bathrooms. Japan has been way ahead of much of the world in this regard.

39 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yes. I was quite surprised when I was looking at the incidence of COVID in places where people use mass transit heavily and was surprised to see how well Tokyo fared even while people were still riding packed subways and trains.

The difference?  They are a rule-following society where the idea of doing something for the benefit of others is ingrained. I'm sure you do not find very many (if any) Scott Scofflaws on the trains with masks over their chins or around their necks....  🙄

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes. I was quite surprised when I was looking at the incidence of COVID in places where people use mass transit heavily and was surprised to see how well Tokyo fared even while people were still riding packed subways and trains.

The difference?  They are a rule-following society where the idea of doing something for the benefit of others is ingrained. I'm sure you do not find very many (if any) Scott Scofflaws on the trains with masks over their chins or around their necks....  🙄

Exactly, I think that is why most if not all Asian countries have done so well.  The will sacrifice for the common good.

16 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Exactly, I think that is why most if not all Asian countries have done so well.  The will sacrifice for the common good.

We really should have taken this opportunity to teach how effective wearing a mask in public is and praise those who do it to protect others.  We lived in Japan and the need to mask up on subways when ill is taught to school children and reminded by adults.  If Japanese 3 year olds can understand that, it seems a US President should have been able to understand and share that.  So sad weve needlessly crushed hundreds of thousands of families, and more with symptoms and debts from extended preventable illness.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Given Japan’s older population, they have done surprising well containing the virus pre-vaccine but I agree.  Of course I believe they are not allowing spectators to the events.

Correct, they are not allowing foreign spectators at the summer's Olympics.

I imagine with that prohibition and all the extra costs from postponing the Olympics a year plus extra protective measures against Covid, this will be a big money loser for the Japanese.

Well Finally after persisting  for months we got written confirmation appointments for tomorrow   April 7th for our JnJ vaccine shots    .so both of us get the shots one shot & done ,thank you 😃

• Like 9

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Well Finally after persisting  for months we got written confirmation appointments for tomorrow   April 7th for our JnJ vaccine shots    .so both of us get the shots one shot & done ,thank you 😃

Great!

17 hours ago, Laminator said:

That is true in the urban areas. Not so much in the rural areas and that is one of the main reasons they want to push the JnJ vaccines into the more rural areas. My wife, being a pharmacist, is updated on this constantly. 

I am in a relatively rural county midway between LA and SFO.  Most pharmacies are within easy distance of a major hospital, with maybe the exception of along 395 east of the Sierra's

Depends upon your definition of rural. For example most pharmacies in rural Illinois are with easy courier distance from a major hospital.

The biggest issue is coordinating appointments to make sure that the product is used once it gets there.

With the frozen product appointments have to be scheduled and matched to deliveries.  But not that difficult as long as demand is high.  Once we get the vaccination numbers up then it will be more difficult since not all appointments will be filled and wastage will certainly go up.

For that matter Alaska was able to do their program in remote villages with Pfizer and Moderna. All a matter of scheduling/

J&J certainly has advantages when it comes to having it in the pharmacy with fewer deliveries and less intensive scheduling.

2 minutes ago, nocl said:

I am in a relatively rural county midway between LA and SFO.  Most pharmacies are within easy distance of a major hospital, with maybe the exception of along 395 east of the Sierra's

Depends upon your definition of rural. For example most pharmacies in rural Illinois are with easy courier distance from a major hospital.

The biggest issue is coordinating appointments to make sure that the product is used once it gets there.

With the frozen product appointments have to be scheduled and matched to deliveries.  But not that difficult as long as demand is high.  Once we get the vaccination numbers up then it will be more difficult since not all appointments will be filled and wastage will certainly go up.

For that matter Alaska was able to do their program in remote villages with Pfizer and Moderna. All a matter of scheduling/

J&J certainly has advantages when it comes to having it in the pharmacy with fewer deliveries and less intensive scheduling.

Scheduling...There is the key. The 2nd Pfizer vaccine at the health center we received our vaccines at are now being scheduled 5 weeks out. There has to be an issue in the supply chain somewhere. And that was prior to Indiana going to anyone over age 16 a week or 2 ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Awesome!

Persistence often does pay off in the end..

• Like 1

People are still having difficulty getting an appointment in Palm Beach County, FL. If you go on the website to get your appt., you are told that no appts. are available. This is a daily occurrence and very frustrating. Many family members are working on different devices trying to get an appt. for an older loved one.

Just a heads up that may have been posted here before but good to repeat. A recent Covid vaccine may cause a false positive result on your mammogram due to lymph node enlargement. I know my clinic is scheduling mammograms out 4-6 weeks post second dose. So keep that in mind if you are like me and have your mammograms set up well in advance. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

People are still having difficulty getting an appointment in Palm Beach County, FL. If you go on the website to get your appt., you are told that no appts. are available. This is a daily occurrence and very frustrating. Many family members are working on different devices trying to get an appt. for an older loved one.

My Daughter (40 yrs old) who lives in Winter Garden had no problem getting Appointments.  She signed up with Walgreens for Alerts and Sunday night texted me she is scheduled for Friday.  Her Husband (40 yrs old) is getting his 1st Dose today at Walgreens, too.  Also, there are Groups on another Social  Media Site for Florida where people post when Appointments  become available all over the State either with Vaccination Sites, Publix, Walmart, etc.    Our Friends in Miami have been Vaccinated since January.

• Like 1

I was in my local CVS this morning and an employee right in the front was waiting for people who had made appointments online  to send them back. Having been personally vaccinated fully almost two months I was glad to see this. When I asked which vaccine she responded "Pfizer."

• Like 2

What I’m happy to see is that more and more younger people are getting Vaccinated.  We have 98% of our employees who are getting Vaccinated.  Many have received 1st Dose and some already received 2nd Dose.  They range in age mid-20’s - early 40’s.  Today our 17 yr old who works P/T taking phone orders, etc. received her 1st Dose of Pfizer.  

We have two who are really nervous about it and are in a “wait and see”.  They read all this negative stuff on Social Media sites, hear CDC and Fauci flip flopping, etc. and the fact it’s not approved but in EUA.  Also, hearing that they should double Mask even after Vaccinating they feel why bother then.

When Vaccinations opened for Service Industry on March 8th in my State we asked who wants the Vaccine and offered to help with getting them Appointments.  Our Dishwasher who has a Cruise booked on RCL answered “Hell Yeah, I want to Cruise”!  😂. He’s getting his 2nd Dose on Monday.  Maybe if Cruises resume it will be an incentive for those who want to Cruise and are on the fence about the Vaccine.   

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 8:57 PM, DeeniEncinitas said:

Thanks so much! I was volunteering as a retired DDS and was so trying to help him over the last month 1/2. I appreciate your response! Have a good evening 

Denise😊

Denise,  we found out today the results of

our participation of the trials run by the US Navy for the AstraZeneca vaccine.  We are fully vaccinated, only a minor headache by DH and an afternoon nap on the day of the second shot.   Fully vaccinated as of the end of February.   Happy days. 
We have cancelled our two spots for the JNJ vaccination at the Fairgrounds for Monday.

We hope to meet up with the leader of the trial when we visit Balboa Naval Hospital for an annual check up for Valley Fever tomorrow.  He is in the same office space as our Dr.

Thank you for making sure San Diego residents are receiving the vaccination.

Our first cruise is schedule for July with our kids who are fully vaccinated end our grandkids.   
Stay safe, we will now be signing up to volunteer.