VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

6 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Denise,  we found out today the results of

our participation of the trials run by the US Navy for the AstraZeneca vaccine.  We are fully vaccinated, only a minor headache by DH and an afternoon nap on the day of the second shot.   Fully vaccinated as of the end of February.   Happy days. 
We have cancelled our two spots for the JNJ vaccination at the Fairgrounds for Monday.

We hope to meet up with the leader of the trial when we visit Balboa Naval Hospital for an annual check up for Valley Fever tomorrow.  He is in the same office space as our Dr.

Thank you for making sure San Diego residents are receiving the vaccination.

Our first cruise is schedule for July with our kids who are fully vaccinated end our grandkids.   
Stay safe, we will now be signing up to volunteer.

The AstraZeneca vaccine, though being used worldwide, does not have approval in the USA from the FDA. I wonder if the cruise lines and/or the CDC require vaccinations to board a cruise ship whether they will accept vaccines not approved in the USA.

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The AstraZeneca vaccine, though being used worldwide, does not have approval in the USA from the FDA. I wonder if the cruise lines and/or the CDC require vaccinations to board a cruise ship whether they will accept vaccines not approved in the USA.

I don’t believe they’d be that restrictive.  My sense is that a person fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved in their country of residence will be satisfactory.

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I don’t believe they’d be that restrictive.  My sense is that a person fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved in their country of residence will be satisfactory.

We shall see. And I have to admit that I did not notice you were not residents of the USA (not that there is anything wrong with that😃), but my fault.

The question might be more relevant if it comes up about either the Chinese or Russian developed vaccines. I believe they are being used in some third world countries. For instance, will they count if members of the crew received these shots?

Just now, ontheweb said:

We shall see. And I have to admit that I did not notice you were not residents of the USA (not that there is anything wrong with that😃), but my fault.

The question might be more relevant if it comes up about either the Chinese or Russian developed vaccines. I believe they are being used in some third world countries. For instance, will they count if members of the crew received these shots?

Yes, vaccines developed and/or approved in countries outside EU and Five-Eyes may not be acceptable.  In Canada, we have four approved (Moderna, Pfizer, AZ and JnJ).  As a matter of interest, JnJ not yet approved in UK although it is in EU.

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, vaccines developed and/or approved in countries outside EU and Five-Eyes may not be acceptable.  In Canada, we have four approved (Moderna, Pfizer, AZ and JnJ).  As a matter of interest, JnJ not yet approved in UK although it is in EU.

There has been much discussion on this. I know the EU has started their research into the Russian vaccine,  and at some point so will the FDA. There might not ever be "approval" of some of these vaccines,  but they will have some recognition of their effectiveness or lack thereof. 

• Like 2

My wife & I received the Johnson and  Johnson vaccine yesterday , April 7th Wednesday  .I thought nothing   of it .no reaction for the 12 minutes at the pharmacy   & none until late last night  . My wife had no reaction . Mine was severe in that I had real trouble just breathing  & I was really weak  . I could not lay in bed . I have a power electric  chair ,so my wife got water & I sat there praying . finally after  some time I was able to breathe more normally . Today I still can breathe OK but ,I am  still a bit weak .Thought I pass this on  .I never ever had such a reaction to any other vaccination ever  in the past .This one was really  frightening 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We were told the WHO has approved AstraZeneca for

emergency use and the proof of

vaccination would be accepted around the world.   The trial we are in is run by the US Navy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Mine was severe

Very sorry to hear that.  I hadn't said anything when you posted that your doctor advised J&J because of fewer side effects.  DH and I have heard of many who had similar severe side effects with J&J, so there's no guarantee.  Very glad you're vaccinated though!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Very sorry to hear that.  I hadn't said anything when you posted that your doctor advised J&J because of fewer side effects.  DH and I have heard of many who had similar severe side effects with J&J, so there's no guarantee.  Very glad you're vaccinated though!

Thanks .I come to find  out that I needed to drink much more water   & perhaps the side effects would be less severe .I m now drinking lots of water 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thanks .I come to find  out that I needed to drink much more water   & perhaps the side effects would be less severe .I m now drinking lots of water 

I had read about drinking more water the day before plus drink it the day of the Shot.  I had my 2nd Dose of Moderna two weeks ago and the 2nd Dose packed a punch!   I forgot about drinking the water with the 2nd Shot and that evening I was craving Water and had chills and very achy legs during the night.  I think there is something definitely to it!

Glad you are feeling better and you are finally Vaccinated!    😀

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

I had read about drinking more water the day before plus drink it the day of the Shot.  I had my 2nd Dose of Moderna two weeks ago and the 2nd Dose packed a punch!   I forgot about drinking the water with the 2nd Shot and that evening I was craving Water and had chills and very achy legs during the night.  I think there is something definitely to it!

Glad you are feeling better and you are finally Vaccinated!    😀

Thanks .I do think that we are on to some thing being well hydrated . My wife drinks water all day long & had no side effects to the same JnJ vaccine shot 

• Like 2

I drank quite a bit of water and did tylenol regularly for the first day. Other than a sore arm and fatigue, I seemed to do okay with the first Pfizer vaccine. Hope the second isn't much worse. I will definitely hydrate and tylenol again. 

• Like 2

I had Pfizer and only got a sore arm, which was less than one day. 

BTW, I have seen studies on a lot of the vaccines, and Sputnik 5, the Russian version, rated 90% +, really good for non-mRNA vaccine. Looks like that one is what I must rely on to get South America up and going by December, my cruise time soonest. 

After hiding for over a year, I feel comfortable going into building other than my home finally. If only enough folks here take the vaccine, I think by Fall we will be through the worst and going sailing again. Hope .......

Doug

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, generichandle said:

I had Pfizer and only got a sore arm, which was less than one day. 

BTW, I have seen studies on a lot of the vaccines, and Sputnik 5, the Russian version, rated 90% +, really good for non-mRNA vaccine. Looks like that one is what I must rely on to get South America up and going by December, my cruise time soonest. 

After hiding for over a year, I feel comfortable going into building other than my home finally. If only enough folks here take the vaccine, I think by Fall we will be through the worst and going sailing again. Hope .......

Doug

We agree  by this fall  we look forward to cruise ships sailing from USA ports 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The CDC guideline says authorized by FDA or given emergency status by WHO which certainly applies to the AZ vaccine.

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

They must be putting a long lasting sedative in those vaccines.  Has anyone else noticed how peoples’ tenor change after they are vaccinated 😉

They've certainly had a calming effect in our family.  😊

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

My wife & I received the Johnson and  Johnson vaccine yesterday , April 7th Wednesday  .I thought nothing   of it .no reaction for the 12 minutes at the pharmacy   & none until late last night  . My wife had no reaction . Mine was severe in that I had real trouble just breathing  & I was really weak  . I could not lay in bed . I have a power electric  chair ,so my wife got water & I sat there praying . finally after  some time I was able to breathe more normally . Today I still can breathe OK but ,I am  still a bit weak .Thought I pass this on  .I never ever had such a reaction to any other vaccination ever  in the past .This one was really  frightening 

It seems there have been a lot of reactions to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

Two vaccine sites close after adverse reactions to Johnson & Johnson shot - CBS News

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It seems there have been a lot of reactions to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

Two vaccine sites close after adverse reactions to Johnson & Johnson shot - CBS News

I wonder if the previous belief that JnJ might have fewer reactions was due to the fact that very few people had received the vaccine.  Now that it is being widely distributed, there are more reports of reactions.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thanks .I do think that we are on to some thing being well hydrated . My wife drinks water all day long & had no side effects to the same JnJ vaccine shot 

I, too, drink water all day long, and I had horrible pain in my legs after my second Moderna shot.  I also had that crushing fatigue starting the next morning and lasting all day.  Very little soreness in my arm, though.  (After shot #1 I had a sore arm for days!  And no muscle pain, and just a little fatigue the next day.)

Mr Chew only had a little bit of soreness in his arm after each shot.

Ds (19) had his JnJ 2 days ago and he was all kinds of cautious about reactions.... and nothing. Not even arm soreness, the stinker! So yeah, everyone is so different. But I am thankful to the amazing scientists who gave us these vaccines. God bless them!!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

I wonder if the previous belief that JnJ might have fewer reactions was due to the fact that very few people had received the vaccine.  Now that it is being widely distributed, there are more reports of reactions.

I think you are exactly spot on.

And for most of us, mild reactions may occur or they may not regardless of all the tips and tricks one can find on the internet...

• Like 1

I think many people do not get a yearly vaccine so their experience is limited.  Then others who have allergies or other conditions which prohibit vaccine usage went ahead and got a vaccine anyway,  There is a reason your doctor told you not to get a vaccine.  

I repeat myself: get a vaccine, if you have questions ask your primary care provider.

We are sure that no one will be able to cruise ,not including young children at this point , with out being vaccinated   . 

Has any one  looked on line at the prices they are selling  so called water proof plastic holders for the vaccine cards   .First off  ,they are taking advantage of  what people may need , 2nd if you look at the time of arrival (weeks in most cases ) to get the product ,that tells me they are coming from China most likely  .Amazon   is  showing CDC plastic card holders & some with lanyards    at high prices . We will stop at our business supply store to see what they might have  , We heard not a good idea to laminate  the CDC vaccination cards 

when we first needed masks we went on line & the same  length of delivery   times .I cancelled the order because we knew they were from China . Where ever possible I will not buy China made products 

28 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are sure that no one will be able to cruise ,not including young children at this point , with out being vaccinated   . 

Has any one  looked on line at the prices they are selling  so called water proof plastic holders for the vaccine cards   .First off  ,they are taking advantage of  what people may need , 2nd if you look at the time of arrival (weeks in most cases ) to get the product ,that tells me they are coming from China most likely  .Amazon   is  showing CDC plastic card holders & some with lanyards    at high prices . We will stop at our business supply store to see what they might have  , We heard not a good idea to laminate  the CDC vaccination cards 

when we first needed masks we went on line & the same  length of delivery   times .I cancelled the order because we knew they were from China . Where ever possible I will not buy China made products 

I have had many inquiries for vaccine card laminating pouches. I refused to offer to sell them for two reasons. One, a booster may be needed in the future and two, there is a possibility that the information on the card will smear and become illegible from the heat from the laminator. A badge holder will suffice. As I recommended several weeks ago it is best to contact your local city, county or state health dept. to obtain an electronic copy that can be kept on your computer or cell phone.