Sailings now cancelled through April 30

On 1/23/2021 at 2:56 PM, nelblu said:

I have a sail on Oasis out of Bayonne for September 5, and although it's 7+ months away, becoming skeptical that it will come off.  So sad as I got a great price for a solo CP balcony.

I have the Oasis out of Bayonne in July.....I think I need to come up with other vacation plans as a backup.......

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Actually, it looks like those 3 Carnival ships with lengthy delays is just delayed drydock schedules.

It is.

Related to already-announced drydock plans for the Carnival Magic, Carnival Paradise and Carnival Valor, those ships’ return to operations will be delayed until November 2021. Consequently, voyages on the Carnival Magic from Norfolk (embarkations from Sept. 29-Oct. 30), the Carnival Paradise from Tampa (embarkations from June 5-Oct. 28) and the Carnival Valor from New Orleans (embarkations from Sept. 16-Oct. 28) have been cancelled.

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Don't spit into the wind.

I suppose I should humor you, so I'd love to hear your "good advice" on this. We have seven cruises booked for 2022, and once RCL releases its next slice of itineraries we will probably book 5-10 more. Right now we have two that qualify for double points, two more that would qualify if RCL moved the sail by date out to the end of April, and three that are well outside of any conceivable 2022 Double Points window.

So in your expert opinion:

Which of our 2022 cruise would you suggest we "Cancel and take the refund. No one knows how this will turn out, take your money now and rebook when you know how things will happen."

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

I suppose I should humor you, so I'd love to hear your "good advice" on this. We have seven cruises booked for 2022, and once RCL releases its next slice of itineraries we will probably book 5-10 more. Right now we have two that qualify for double points, two more that would qualify if RCL moved the sail by date out to the end of April, and three that are well outside of any conceivable 2022 Double Points window.

So in your expert opinion:

Which of our 2022 cruise would you suggest we "Cancel and take the refund. No one knows how this will turn out, take your money now and rebook when you know how things will happen."

I would need to know a little more about the destinations for all of your cruises to offer specific recommendations, however I can offer a few thoughts.

1.  Never chase Loyalty points, it's never worth it.  If someone is cruising as much as you are, you really don't need double points, you can certainly afford whatever benefits you will get from the next level.

2. At this point I would certainly cancel any cruise at the time of final payment that originates or ends outside of North America.  Europe, Asia, Australia or almost any other place will likely have  significant restrictions on entering and maybe leaving the country.  Who knows when restrictions will be modified.  In addition shore excursions may have significant restrictions and may not be enjoyable. Certainly true for 2021 cruises, hopefully things improve by 2022.

3.  It's not clear to me that cruising will resume until late in 2021 at the earliest and that will put even more financial stress on the cruise lines with the real possibility of bankruptcy.  I don't see the need put any more money with more deposits.

4.  I would wait until cruising resumes to make any new reservations.  Wait and see what the restrictions are in the countries you plan on visiting to see if they are acceptable to you and wait and see if the on-board restrictions are acceptable.  

5.  My advice is not directly specifically at you, I thought we were talking about others that were approaching final payment for cruises in 2021.  I don't want any art of additional FCC's or L&S that can come with additional restrictions should you need to change your cruise again. Cancel and take the refund before final payment is due.

I just re-booked Harmony for this December, and three items surprised me. I could not use my credits as a deposit, the deposit is non-refundable and I had $700 in credits($500 from my cancelled cruise and $200 from missed port on last cruise). I was told I can't combine both credits for one cruise, but the agent said he would try to get the $200 missed port credit added since it was't a cancelled cruise credit.

He said there is a huge pent-up demand for cruising and Carnival is disposing 24 ships and Royal is disposing 5 ship, so when cruising gets up and going full swing don't expect many cruise deals. It will be economics class 101, low supply and big demand equals high prices. He also said, yes new ships are coming but there will still be a sizable net lose of cabins to sell for at least the next 4-5 years. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I would need to know a little more about the destinations for all of your cruises to offer specific recommendations, however I can offer a few thoughts.

1.  Never chase Loyalty points, it's never worth it.  If someone is cruising as much as you are, you really don't need double points, you can certainly afford whatever benefits you will get from the next level.

2. At this point I would certainly cancel any cruise at the time of final payment that originates or ends outside of North America.  Europe, Asia, Australia or almost any other place will likely have  significant restrictions on entering and maybe leaving the country.  Who knows when restrictions will be modified.  In addition shore excursions may have significant restrictions and may not be enjoyable. Certainly true for 2021 cruises, hopefully things improve by 2022.

3.  It's not clear to me that cruising will resume until late in 2021 at the earliest and that will put even more financial stress on the cruise lines with the real possibility of bankruptcy.  I don't see the need put any more money with more deposits.

4.  I would wait until cruising resumes to make any new reservations.  Wait and see what the restrictions are in the countries you plan on visiting to see if they are acceptable to you and wait and see if the on-board restrictions are acceptable.  

5.  My advice is not directly specifically at you, I thought we were talking about others that were approaching final payment for cruises in 2021.  I don't want any art of additional FCC's or L&S that can come with additional restrictions should you need to change your cruise again. Cancel and take the refund before final payment is due.

Thanks, but none of this applies to us. And, BTW, your initial comment was directed specifically to my post, so a belated generalization doesn't wash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airbusdrvr said:

low supply and big demand equals high prices. He also said, yes new ships are coming but there will still be a sizable net lose of cabins to sell for at least the next 4-5 years. 

You may want to talk to someone else - none of that is true. The demand is the same or lower for the short term and Odyssey and Wonder alone have many more berths than Empress and Majesty.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Thanks, but none of this applies to us. And, BTW, your initial comment was directed specifically to my post, so a belated generalization doesn't wash.

Your welcome.  BTW, I have no idea what you intended, but your post was about another cruisers issues.  Also if you are chasing double points, then it is about you.

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Your welcome.  BTW, I have no idea what you intended, but your post was about another cruisers issues.  Also if you are chasing double points, then it is about you.

No need. When you are pinnacle there’s nothing to chase.

4 hours ago, airbusdrvr said:

He said there is a huge pent-up demand for cruising and Carnival is disposing 24 ships and Royal is disposing 5 ship, so when cruising gets up and going full swing don't expect many cruise deals. It will be economics class 101, low supply and big demand equals high prices. He also said, yes new ships are coming but there will still be a sizable net lose of cabins to sell for at least the next 4-5 years. 

Everything in this paragraph is pretty much false; whoever told it to you is reading off of some mis informed script or is just making it up as he goes along.

Edited by not-enough-cruising

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Everything in this paragraph is pretty much false; whoever told it to you is reading off of some mis informed script or is just making it up as he goes along.

This was told to me by a 16 year full time travel agent that specializes in cruises whom I trust. Carnival publicly stated they were disposing of 18 ships last September and RCCL has publicly stated they would be disposing some smaller ships. So please inform me and the rest of us what is "pretty much false" in what I was told. 

30 minutes ago, airbusdrvr said:

This was told to me by a 16 year full time travel agent that specializes in cruises whom I trust. Carnival publicly stated they were disposing of 18 ships last September and RCCL has publicly stated they would be disposing some smaller ships. So please inform me and the rest of us what is "pretty much false" in what I was told. 

There is no evidence of pent up demand for cruising, the notable exception being the small % of cruisers on these boards. 

Regarding ship divestiture, Carnival has sold (or plans to sell) less than 5% of pre covid capacity, and will be adding a substantial percentage of those berths on new ships, one to be ready before the pandemic is even over.  Royals thinning of the herd is a much smaller percentage. Hardly enough to matter in the big picture. Certainly not a significant net loss for at least the next 4-5 years.

Economics 101 goes a bit depot than "low supply, high demand (debatable), adds up to high prices.  All the cruise lines will be playing a very delicate balancing act.  Fares go to high, the already skittish buyer will look elsewhere, they have already learned to live without this type of vacation. This is the behavioral dynamics of marketing and is much more importing now than strictly economics mentioned above. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Certainly not a significant net loss for at least the next 4-5 years.

There's no net loss, as mentioned, capacity overall is going up in the next year+ with the addition of Odyssey and Wonder, even with the sale of Empress and Majesty. Even if RCI got rid of two Vision class ships, capacity will still be up and that's even before the addition of Icon 

23 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

There's no net loss, as mentioned, capacity overall is going up in the next year+ with the addition of Odyssey and Wonder, even with the sale of Empress and Majesty. Even if RCI got rid of two Vision class ships, capacity will still be up and that's even before the addition of Icon 

I agree , I knew that was the case but I didn’t have the time to look up the exact numbers; I didn’t want to speak out of turn. 
thanks for adding to the post. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

11 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There is no evidence of pent up demand for cruising, the notable exception being the small % of cruisers on these boards. 

I definitely agree!  While I am indeed booked for a trip next year, half of the reason is that I’m going nuts with nothing to plan, but I also realize I may cancel it.  However, my BFF did her first cruise last year- she LOVED it, her DH was meh about it.  They had one booked for this year, but cancelled, because he refuses to vacation with any restrictions (anti-masker who thinks covid is mostly just hype).  I highly doubt they will cruise until any type of restriction is gone.  I also know other casual cruisers who don’t plan on booking until things are 100% back to “normal”.