Seeking: varied nationalities of cruiser

FoggyEthan

8 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Setup your rules... Ours are: 

1) no politics

2) no religion

3) no how much did you pay for your cruise.

4) no talk of how many cruises you have been on.

This should be written into the cruise contract 😎

12 hours ago, George C said:

I started cruising in my 20’s while still single and have done at least one cruise every year since 1977. Totally correct on how things have changed, back in 70’s men dressed in a suit and tie every night, ships were tiny compared to today, no specialty restaurants, paid every thing with cash, no ships had balconies, but lots of fun , food and service was definitely better. But overall some things now are better some not, still love being on a ship.

Sounds like we are about the same age.  Mrs Ldubs and I didn't try our first cruise until about 2000 or maybe 2001.  You have 25 years more experience to share!   Way back then I doubt either of us thought cruises would be shut down.  Hopefully the world will get well soon and we can start returning to normal.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Setup your rules... Ours are: 

1) no politics

2) no religion

3) no how much did you pay for your cruise.

This particular trip, seared into my memory, was a land tour with only 12 people. There was no avoiding anyone. For nearly two weeks...

Edited by solomita
forgot something!

23 hours ago, solomita said:

He was probably a Catalan speaker and preferred English over the language of the oppressor.

Ouch.  

17 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

I think it's ok to talk about cruising with onboard as it is the one thing that all passengers have in common.

I agree with 1, 2 and 3.  I'm fine with 4.

My peeve, although it is not rude or controversial, is "What do you do?"  I'm on vacation, and I'd rather not talk about work.  Some replies can be awkward, as well.  If I reply that I'm a posture analyst, or an author of etiquette books, are you going to feel uncomfortable every time I see you?  

57 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

I think it's ok to talk about cruising with onboard as it is the one thing that all passengers have in common.

But to me anyway there are way more important/fun/etc. things to talk about than the number of cruises. Even reading about it here makes my eyes glaze over.

8 minutes ago, George C said:

As for politics we did a great European cruise 5 years ago, we were friendly with several others from roll call, we were kidding a couple Canadians that we all would be moving to Canada if someone was elected 😁

Maybe now they'll let us in again.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I agree with 1, 2 and 3.  I'm fine with 4.

My peeve, although it is not rude or controversial, is "What do you do?"  I'm on vacation, and I'd rather not talk about work.  Some replies can be awkward, as well.  If I reply that I'm a posture analyst, or an author of etiquette books, are you going to feel uncomfortable every time I see you?  

Not as uncomfortable as if you had said that you were a psychiatrist. 8-)

• Like 1

We have no problems discussing cruising in general. These discussions sometimes gravitate to "I've been on XXX cruises, So I know what I'm talking about."  We've also been on XXX cruises and others have been on XX cruises and other have been on X cruises and magically everyone might know what they are talking about.

Set your own rules, or don't. 

Cruise...

2 minutes ago, clo said:

But to me anyway there are way more important/fun/etc. things to talk about than the number of cruises. Even reading about it here makes my eyes glaze over.

Think of it as almost an ice breaker at times.  

45 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

My peeve, although it is not rude or controversial, is "What do you do?"  I'm on vacation, and I'd rather not talk about work

I also rarely about this.  It's not so much from the perspective of being on vacation as it is from the perspective that identity, at least for me, is not totally based in my profession/work.  This will be increasingly true in the future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Think of it as almost an ice breaker at times.  

It probably shows that I'm not a typical cruiser, but I'd rather ask where people have been around the world rather than what cruises they've taken. For me, the cruise is a lovely way to see and experience places around the world.

I wonder which cruise lines's clienteles would fit this best, and also which would fit it least.

6 minutes ago, solomita said:

It probably shows that I'm not a typical cruiser, but I'd rather ask where people have been around the world rather than what cruises they've taken.

Absolutely! I'm very destination oriented and love to hear about others trips.

12 minutes ago, solomita said:

It probably shows that I'm not a typical cruiser, but I'd rather ask where people have been around the world rather than what cruises they've taken. For me, the cruise is a lovely way to see and experience places around the world.

I wonder which cruise lines's clienteles would fit this best, and also which would fit it least.

I think your sentiment is actually pretty common for lots of people cruising.   Most conversations I have had on cruise ships with other passengers are not numerical in nature - how many cruises, how many ships, etc - but are more related to the general subject of cruising as a mode of travel, preferences in general and other similar subjects in terms of travel experiences.  

What I have found is that the more a person has cruised, the less interest they have in the details of itineraries and statistics.  Cruise discussion to me is an ice breaker topic at best and will fade away as you get to know the people on board better.  

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1