The Daily for Friday Jan 22, 2021

richwmn

today is National Blonde Brownie Day, Answer Your Cat's Questions Day, and National Hot Sauce Day

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
        -- Oscar Wilde

Meal suggestion for today - Chunky Creamy Chicken Soup

Drink of the Day - Fall Sangria

Wine of the day - Meridian Pinot Noir - California - Red

at Sea Pacific off San Diego
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Westerdam

Long Beach Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Port Everglades Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0122World.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Friday Daily, Rich.  I think I'll pass on today's collection of days.  I love the quote and the Chicken Soup sounds like a great lunch.  My meal suggestion today is Fruit Ceviche, Oaxaca-Chile Pineapple Glazed Ham and Chilean Apple Crumb Cake, as served on MS Prinsendam January 22, 2019 (yes, we were in Chile, and @BobbiSox Maasdam joins the mix tomorrow).

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes22.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

RIP, Vmax1700's British cousin

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Our Nation

Mamaofami’s friend in hospice

HAL (and other crews)

Kazu’s BIL’s mom

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard vicd1969

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Vaccine appoints for Mary229 (today), me (Monday), Cruising-along (Tue)

An appointment, though inconvenient, for lazey1

Successful radiation treatments for NextOne’s DH

Toots from the Noordam

A holilday cruise for Sharon in Az

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

ps: soon off to scout out the location of Monday's jab site

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  I'll have to find a recipe for Blondies and make some.🙂  I don't have a cat, but I love hot sauce on some things.

Love the quote.

Great meal suggestion for a cold, snowy Friday, thanks.

Roy's suggestion of apple crumb cake for dessert sounds good too, but I don't have any apples.🙁

Praying for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 12

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. I hope all the Dailyites with feline family members share those questions with us today & their answers, of course. I will skip the blond brownie unless it has a ton of chocolate chips in it. And I love spicy heat, but prefer real hot peppers to hot sauce. No clue why?

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Today’s red wine may not be one to add to your list.🤔I am currently in queue on Publix’s online vaccination registration page. This is my second time trying to actively get an appointment, though I am on several waiting lists. On Wednesday I signed on at 5:45 a.m. with no luck. So this morning I decided to join the queue at 5:30 - still nothing, though there are still a few appointments in counties I could get to.  I suspect I will have to wait until next week, or the week after, etc.  Love the quote & meal suggestion. 
Tonight may be eggplant cutlets for supper. Not yet sure.

Jacqui @kazuany news on your BIL’s Mom, or Marley?

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This California Pinot Noir has the lowest ratings of any wine we have had so far.  Experts - 84; consumers - 2.9.  But it has a low price - $8.99 online. 
The following info comes from the wine maker.

The thin skin of the finicky Pinot Noir grape requires the gentlest handling of any fruit I’ve worked with. Our grapes were harvested by hand, then brought to the winery in small bins and gently de-stemmed. Then, they were transferred to our custom fermentors, with open tops that allowed me to achieve the color and depth I wanted without compromising the quality of the fruit flavors in the finished wine. The wine was then aged for 11 months in small, French oak barrels, adding a toasty, nutty flavor." Meridian Winery

Taste: ripe cherry, plum, strawberry, raspberry and mushroom

• Like 15

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

DH celebrates hot sauce day every day 😄   

Cats don’t usually need their questions asked.  They rule their households.  Remember that old saying?  Dogs drool - cats rule 😉

5DFA7EF8-C491-480D-906E-75E15474E408.thumb.jpeg.7e8c40b40643578433797bc31b710c51.jpeg

Love the quote by Oscar Wilde.  I’ll take Roy’s alternate meal suggestion, thanks.  Haven’t heard of Fall Sangria before.  It will be interesting to see the difference in this one.

@cat shepard I’m sorry to say that my BIL’s mother is not doing well.  She’s needed more oxygen.  We are praying a lot for her and my sister’s family.  No biopsy report yet on Marley.  They told me I would hear at the end of this week at the earliest but more likely early next week.  It looks like it will be the latter.

In the meantime, I’m trying to remember

82414AA1-3333-463A-AA5D-8DEDA9346544.thumb.jpeg.a2a60b9b2bb262b3f10b64b453f8eca8.jpeg

And trying to be an optimist

B705E70B-EA3C-47C5-9EEF-7F937F76AD57.jpeg.5e4d50759368dd321efac31ba9cc3cbf.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great TGIF everyone!!  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I am currently in queue on Publix’s online vaccination registration page. This is my second time trying to actively get an appointment, though I am on several waiting lists. On Wednesday I signed on at 5:45 a.m. with no luck. So this morning I decided to join the queue at 5:30 - still nothing, though there are still a few appointments in counties I could get to.  I suspect I will have to wait until next week, or the week after, etc.  

I’m sorry to hear of your struggle to get the vaccine 😢 I hope you are successful in the next few days.

We have a wait here before we can get ours, for sure 😞 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. I hope all the Dailyites with feline family members share those questions with us today & their answers, of course. I will skip the blond brownie unless it has a ton of chocolate chips in it. And I love spicy heat, but prefer real hot peppers to hot sauce. No clue why?

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Today’s red wine may not be one to add to your list.🤔I am currently in queue on Publix’s online vaccination registration page. This is my second time trying to actively get an appointment, though I am on several waiting lists. On Wednesday I signed on at 5:45 a.m. with no luck. So this morning I decided to join the queue at 5:30 - still nothing, though there are still a few appointments in counties I could get to.  I suspect I will have to wait until next week, or the week after, etc.  Love the quote & meal suggestion. 
Tonight may be eggplant cutlets for supper. Not yet sure.

Jacqui @kazuany news on your BIL’s Mom, or Marley?

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This California Pinot Noir has the lowest ratings of any wine we have had so far.  Experts - 84; consumers - 2.9.  But it has a low price - $8.99 online. 
The following info comes from the wine maker.

The thin skin of the finicky Pinot Noir grape requires the gentlest handling of any fruit I’ve worked with. Our grapes were harvested by hand, then brought to the winery in small bins and gently de-stemmed. Then, they were transferred to our custom fermentors, with open tops that allowed me to achieve the color and depth I wanted without compromising the quality of the fruit flavors in the finished wine. The wine was then aged for 11 months in small, French oak barrels, adding a toasty, nutty flavor." Meridian Winery

Taste: ripe cherry, plum, strawberry, raspberry and mushroom

Blessed be God who made the grapes that are used to make the wine to gladden

the heart of people. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  To me brownies aren't brownies unless they're chocolate.  I usually answer Sochi's questions with "Yes, I'll feed you."  And, like @cat shepardI prefer hot peppers to hot sauce; I think the sauce has too much vinegar in it.

Am I the only one here who, before coming to this thread, has to go to yesterday's to see what was missed?  I don't usually hit the computer in the evening, so like to see what has happened since I last posted, and wow, some days there's lots of information to be gleaned! 

@kazu I'm sorry to hear your BIL's mother isn't faring well; will keep her in my prayers.

Our temperatures are dropping - don't feel bad, we're just starting to go to our seasonal lows, something we've been avoiding these past 3 weeks - so we'll be staying indoors and hunkering down.  I like the soup suggestion today, so will likely be putting that in our slow cooker to cook throughout the day.  I froze some buns from the last batch I made, and will thaw and heat them to enjoy with the soup for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Speaking of wine, I think I'll give today's a pass; it makes my Cardboardeaux sound like Chateau Lafite Rothschild in comparison!  LOL

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

@cat shepard I’m sorry to say that my BIL’s mother is not doing well.  She’s needed more oxygen.  We are praying a lot for her and my sister’s family.  No biopsy report yet on Marley.  They told me I would hear at the end of this week at the earliest but more likely early next week.  It looks like it will be the latter.

Jacqui, I am so sorry to hear about your BIL’s mother. These are such difficult times.

Hope you hear soon about Marley.  I know it took two weeks before I heard from my biopsy, so I understand they take time. But the waiting stinks.

• Like 7

Just the Fall Sangria recipe for now:

Ingredients
1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
1 1/2 cups apple cider
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple brandy
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pear brandy
1/4 cup Cinnamon Simple Syrup, recipe follows
2 soaked cinnamon sticks (from Cinnamon Simple Syrup)
1 small Gala or Fuji apple, cored and thinly sliced
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
1 small red pear, cored and thinly sliced
1 small green pear, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 small pomegranate, seeded
1/2 orange, thinly sliced and each sliced halved
Ice, to serve (optional)
Cinnamon Simple Syrup:
1 cup granulated sugar
5 whole cinnamon sticks
Directions
Combine the wine, apple cider, apple brandy, pear brandy, Cinnamon Simple Syrup and fruits in a large container with a lid and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 72 hours. Transfer to a pitcher before serving. Serve in red wine goblets over ice, if using.
Cinnamon Simple Syrup:
Combine the sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Transfer the syrup to a container with a lid, add the cinnamon sticks and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 48 hours. The longer it sits, the more intense the flavor. Remove the cinnamon sticks and save to add to the sangria mixture.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 8.15.14 AM.png

• Like 14

Good morning Rich and all DAILYITES.   Thanks for the fleet report  The Nieuw Statendam is so close but so far from camera view.   The meal suggestion is good for a cold day but Roy has a giid meal suggestion.   My best to all.    

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Just the Fall Sangria recipe for now:

Ingredients
1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
1 1/2 cups apple cider
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple brandy
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pear brandy
1/4 cup Cinnamon Simple Syrup, recipe follows
2 soaked cinnamon sticks (from Cinnamon Simple Syrup)
1 small Gala or Fuji apple, cored and thinly sliced
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
1 small red pear, cored and thinly sliced
1 small green pear, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 small pomegranate, seeded
1/2 orange, thinly sliced and each sliced halved
Ice, to serve (optional)
Cinnamon Simple Syrup:
1 cup granulated sugar
5 whole cinnamon sticks
Directions
Combine the wine, apple cider, apple brandy, pear brandy, Cinnamon Simple Syrup and fruits in a large container with a lid and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 72 hours. Transfer to a pitcher before serving. Serve in red wine goblets over ice, if using.
Cinnamon Simple Syrup:
Combine the sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Transfer the syrup to a container with a lid, add the cinnamon sticks and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 48 hours. The longer it sits, the more intense the flavor. Remove the cinnamon sticks and save to add to the sangria mixture.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 8.15.14 AM.png

I woyld feeel no pain after that one!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I will probably come back later, but for now just wanted to say that I have a good batting average today so far -- I had hot sauce with my eggs and am planning to have a creamy chicken soup for lunch.

And it's a logical progression to have a quote from Oscar Wilde today, following yesterday's "one-liners" day. He has some of my favorite wicked one-liners, sharing the honor with Dorothy Parker, she who said "Brevity is the soul of lingerie," along with many others.

However, I cannot begin to answer cat questions. 😺

The mushroom-y wine doesn't appeal much, nor does the sangria. However it's Friday so I will find something to toast with by day's end.

I understand Florida has now stopped giving COVID vaccines to out-of-staters; coincidentally (or not) my sister was able to get her first shot a couple of days ago. Progress is slow but it is coming.

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  To me brownies aren't brownies unless they're chocolate.  I usually answer Sochi's questions with "Yes, I'll feed you."  And, like @cat shepardI prefer hot peppers to hot sauce; I think the sauce has too much vinegar in it.

Am I the only one here who, before coming to this thread, has to go to yesterday's to see what was missed?  I don't usually hit the computer in the evening, so like to see what has happened since I last posted, and wow, some days there's lots of information to be gleaned! 

@kazu I'm sorry to hear your BIL's mother isn't faring well; will keep her in my prayers.

Our temperatures are dropping - don't feel bad, we're just starting to go to our seasonal lows, something we've been avoiding these past 3 weeks - so we'll be staying indoors and hunkering down.  I like the soup suggestion today, so will likely be putting that in our slow cooker to cook throughout the day.  I froze some buns from the last batch I made, and will thaw and heat them to enjoy with the soup for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Speaking of wine, I think I'll give today's a pass; it makes my Cardboardeaux sound like Chateau Lafite Rothschild in comparison!  LOL

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I always start with the previous day to see what got posted after I shut down, so you are not alone in that, Gerry 

• Like 11

Vaccinations in Canada have gotten off to a slow start and this morning’s news that we will receive 50% less doses from Pfizer, because of retooling in their Belgium plant, for the next four weeks.  No doses at all next week. This will of course delay getting the shot out to many people and I fear may delay the opening of Canadian ports both to cruise ships and land crossings to travellers.

i was happy to see that people flying into the USA need a negative Covid test before boarding and need to isolate once arrived. Maybe this will keep some of our Canadians at home. That and the fact that Florida is clamping down on tourist vaccinations. 

• Like 14

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily

Chicken soup sounds good. The weather is quite cold here today and the next couple of days.

People here in PA are upset re the vaccine rollout. They added over 65 (a good thing), but also under 65 with high-risk medical conditions. Most of those medical conditions are very valid, but in there are smokers (so you could be 19 and get the vaccine) and being overweight (about 33% of residents), but yet first responders, frontline workers, teachers, etc aren't eligible until 1B. And there's not much available for shots anyway. Who knows when I'll be able to get it; there's not even a site to sign up! /End of rant/

Prayers to those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Stay safe, and wear your mask (some are suggesting double masking due to the new variants that are more infectious).

V

• Like 10

Good morning.  I will pass in the hot sauce, but DH likes it.  I made brownies Wednesday, but the regular chocolate variety with chocolate chips in the batter.  No cats to try to understand their questions.

Sunny but windy here.  They will start giving shots in town next Wednesday by appointment for those 75 and older.  There will only be 500 doses given between 9am and 1pm.  You had to make the appointment by phone this week,

and I can’t imagine what a mess that was.  Since we have appointments Wednesday evening in Phoenix already, we decided to keep them.  It’s 127 miles from our house to State Farm stadium, and we’ll be driving home in the dark.  While it is not the most convenient time or place, we are not complaining especially after a news report on a Phoenix station last night.  A man drove 400 miles to the stadium so his 84 year old wife could get her shot.

Lenda

• Like 11

As indicated yesterday, this will be another final sunrise photo from one of my cruises.  January 22, 2017 was my last sea day on the Grandeur of the Seas before disembarking in Baltimore the next day:

dawn0122.jpg

Roy

• Like 11