The Daily for Tuesday Feb 2, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Three Canadian Groundhogs have predicted an early spring - Sam (Nova Scotia), Fred (Quebec) and Willie (Ontario).

Phil in the United States disagreed and predicted 6 more weeks of winter.

Let’s hope the Canadian rodents are right 🤞 

I know we are right @kazu ! Our glass is always half full ! 😀

• Like 8

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Happy Ground Hog day.  @bdrcole I hope Shubenacadie Sam is right.  We could use an early spring this year.  🤞 With this storm, no ground hog could see his shadow.

08B26478-B153-4F0A-B1A6-0B1C29DE8805.jpeg.4ff38918a00bb4076002e536f71abe93.jpeg

I can’t help but think that we put a lot of weight on the shoulders of the poor groundhogs.

0E769AA4-7347-4B92-9A7B-A3E37C3CCDCA.jpeg.e2f90498098ef112d3a03ad50252fbf4.jpeg

Our Westlands are precious and need to be protected.  LOL on the Dykstra quote.  The meal suggestion sounds good but alas, we have no turkey and I’m not going out in this storm to get some.  We do have chicken though so maybe we’ll give that a shot.

Since the pandemic started it seems we are focusing on food and different menus way too much.

CD95175C-D8D8-4FA7-B826-2FEA96DFA4B6.jpeg.13bd4177d1581d1f790161c26708834a.jpeg

Looking forward to hearing about the drink of the day.  It sure looks like a mini hurricane outside with our ‘Nor Easter.

Hope everyone in the path of the storm stays safe and doesn’t lose power. Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Ground hog day everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

Thanks @kazu, you made me laugh!

• Like 5

I've been online trying to schedule a first jab.   Some won't take my registration because I'm not eligible until Monday, but they are filling all their appointments for next week.  Others have you wait in line to get to the site just to get the message that they don't have any appointments available.  I am registered at several places, but no word from them.  My friend Tom has gotten no word from any of the places where he is registered and he is eligible this week.  Other friends were able to register for next week since they become eligible then.  

It seems like it is a crap shoot here.  My county board of health is absolutely worthless.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dfish said:

I've been online trying to schedule a first jab.   Some won't take my registration because I'm not eligible until Monday, but they are filling all their appointments for next week.  Others have you wait in line to get to the site just to get the message that they don't have any appointments available.  I am registered at several places, but no word from them.  My friend Tom has gotten no word from any of the places where he is registered and he is eligible this week.  Other friends were able to register for next week since they become eligible then.  

It seems like it is a crap shoot here.  My county board of health is absolutely worthless.

Good luck Debbie. I was in the exact same situation as you until yesterday. Just a different state. 

• Like 5

I turned off our outside Christmas lights yesterday so I guess I beat the Candlemas "deadline" for have the decorations taken down. 

We made an Apple Pandowdy last night using a "Joy of Cooking" recipe. It is basically an apple pie (but way easier to make) without a bottom crust - that's one way to avoid a soggy bottom! It was very good but the filling seemed a bit runnier than in an apple pie. Maybe I'll try a bit more thickener next time. 

Here are some final Taipei pictures. The 3M Taiwan folks treated me to some street food - Stinky Tofu! They always take visitors from the US out for this on their first visit. Most Yanks can't stand it but I thought it was pretty good (much to their surprise). I also had my first experience with Bubble Tea and an iced tea-like drink made with bitter melon. 

I wandered down to the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall on a drizzly weekend day. It is an impressive building and an interesting museum. The surrounding grounds were lovely, but I did not get many pictures due to the weather. The site did not seem to be very busy when I visited. 

58480933_P6120174(2).thumb.JPG.562ce1bdd20b792e81ccd84f66790584.JPG

P6120176.thumb.JPG.dd91494d4cad1a21dbadda8e9b3ffb1e.JPG

1605460238_P6120178(2).thumb.JPG.6e2f2e57c757425f2d263deb932a516b.JPG

1180529453_P6120180(3).thumb.JPG.c5a83ade45a4dddc3fefad425e890d68.JPG

1841002266_P6120181(2).thumb.JPG.6174967b4e6889aa68e373e2ae194b8d.JPG1727122909_P6120175(2).thumb.JPG.5056729c26934408e1daa51b1847cd42.JPG

• Like 19

I thought I was up fairly early, but I've only made it onto page 3!  Good morning, fellow Dailyites, and thanks to Rich and Roy, the drinks ladies, and now the Daily recipe!  Hurricane sounds appropriate for the easterners, and I hope all the the throes of the storm are keeping safe and warm.  I am so envious of all those getting their "jabs" in the States.  Here in Canada everything seems to be on hold.  There are 4 cases of the UK variant here on the island, which probably actually means many more, unless they managed to isolate the infected people in time.  

• Like 10

Good morning, all! It certainly is wetlands day here. We’ve had 3 inches of rain in the last 3 days, with more to come. No groundhog would see his shadow here, but he would be flooded out of his burrow by now!

We went to the post office downtown yesterday to pick up a registered package from DD in Taiwan. They can send mail to Canada now, as long as it’s registered mail. Regular parcels and letters still aren’t allowed. Mail delivery to our strata is supposed to resume today. It was suspended for a week until then council had an official mask policy in place for the common areas. You forget how convenient mail delivery is until you don’t have it!

Happy Tuesday, everyone, and may we see these mats underfoot again!

8F569DE9-830F-4045-BF90-F9C0BDED0193.jpeg

• Like 14

Good morning.  We should celebrate and take care of our wetlands everyday.

Like the quote.  I think some of our neighbors think were weird traveling as much as we do. 

Groundhog day is a double celebration in our family.  It is also our DD and SIL’s anniversary.  They were married on a ship (a Princess ship) since the captain could legally marry then.  The plus was a cruise was included!  They wanted Valentines Day, but it was booked.

We were lucky to get our second vaccine appointment when we got our first shot.  We even got the confirming email and the email saying we’d received the first dose while we were still under observation.  Later we were able to reschedule the appointment to an earlier day and better time.

Congratulations to all who have appointments.

Lenda

• Like 10

What a mess it is out there.  Over a foot of snow so far and it’s still coming - with ice mixed in.  Ugh.

The roads are so bad our garbage collection was cancelled but there was so much snow on the driveway I couldn’t pull the garbage container through it (it’s on wheels).

Snow plow guys are struggling with our driveway and clearing it and helped me get the bin out and up to the top of the driveway.  What sweet hearts ❤️ 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

The 3M Taiwan folks treated me to some street food - Stinky Tofu! They always take visitors from the US out for this on their first visit. Most Yanks can't stand it but I thought it was pretty good (much to their surprise). I also had my first experience with Bubble Tea and an iced tea-like drink made with bitter melon. 

On the last night of our first stay in Taiwan, DD finally convinced me to try Stinky Tofu at a night market. I agree it actually tastes pretty good, but that smell is very hard to get past!

And thank you for the pictures - I’ve been enjoying revisiting familiar landmarks!

• Like 8

Happy Groundhog Day!  I have never figured it out.  How can a rodent 2000 miles away predict my weather for the next 6 weeks.  The meteorologist in the area can't even figure out the next 24 hours!  LOL!

So many different ways to schedule the 2nd "jab" amazes me.  Luckily it was very organized here.  We were told to come back at the same time 4 weeks later.  Originally, it was to be at the Health Dept. but then the Convention Center was opened to handle more people, so I received an email advising me of the change in location.  I am so grateful that things were handled so well in our County.  And next week Colorado will open for vaccine for 65+ and teachers and other school personnel.

Dinner for me today will be a treat.  My step-daughter is doing roast beef for dinner and sharing some for me.  It is a meal that I don't make for myself, as my leftovers would last forever.  My freezer is packed, so I have to eat "whatever" for several days in a row.  I am working my way thru the "ice cave."

Just a note to the rodents of the day.  I am watching a robin outside my office window.  I know that "one robin does not make Spring" but it signals that brighter days are coming!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 15

I don't have many logo T-Shirts, except for the ones that I have obtained on a cruise.  I've been wearing them a lot because I've been staying home.

Yesterday I went into the T-Shirt drawer and found a shirt that i had bought on a HAL cruise.  I really liked it and wore it on several sea days.  When I came home, it went from the suitcase into the drawer.

I put the T-Shirt on and found a laundry label stuck to the hem.

I choose to think that is a Good Omen and that I will be on a HAL ship again some time in the future. 

Stay Safe, Everyone!

• Like 19

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Another round of snow shoveling this morning, but not nearly as much as yesterday.

Groundhog day! It was cloudy and snowing in Punxsutawney, so I don't know how he saw his shadow!

Hurricane - I still have the glass from having one at the famous Pat O'Brien's bar in NOLA

I think dinner will be a grilled chicken salad.

Eye update - I have been off my Humira and Methotrexate due to side effects, and just using drops. I heard from my doctor today, who says she is hesitant to start any new immunosuppressive medications until my vaccine series is completed, because the next option she is considering is a pretty potent immunosuppressive medication. That would mean probably late March. I wish I could just use the drops. I feel like the hoped for "cure" is worse than the disease.

I will supposedly be emailed after my first vaccine shot about the appointment for the 2nd. I'd feel better if they could schedule it right then.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Be safe, social distance and wear your mask!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and  thanks all!   

Our local Balzac Billie predicts six more weeks of winter!  Where’s the wolf?  

A note on the drink, very popular in New Orleans  never have more than one!  Just sayin!   🤷‍♀️

The wine sounds great,   We really like the Sicilian  Nero D’Avila, visited the winery last cruise!  

82378DAD-5847-4E1E-A1AF-E8EE6B6B55DC.jpeg

1B9D95AE-6E55-41CE-8A31-8583537BC46C.jpeg

A91260B8-7C1C-4AA5-B674-CEB8C66D2D6F.jpeg

7BA769A0-C690-4DB8-9D36-FAB1B7654D58.jpeg

15444163-92E6-4F3D-B432-332A99693717.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Good luck Debbie. I was in the exact same situation as you until yesterday. Just a different state. 

I keep trying.  All I get is that there is no place within 50 miles that has appointments available.

• Like 4

Good Morning.... late start....Happy Tuesday and Groundhog's Day. 

👍Thank you for the Daily to Rich and Roy! ✏️

😷Take care and now "double mask' for additional safety.

Remember humor is the Best Medicine during these challenging times! 🙃 😁😃🙂

FB_IMG_1612194800897.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

I wandered down to the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall on a drizzly weekend day. It is an impressive building and an interesting museum. The surrounding grounds were lovely, but I did not get many pictures due to the weather. The site did not seem to be very busy when I visited. 

58480933_P6120174(2).thumb.JPG.562ce1bdd20b792e81ccd84f66790584.JPG

1605460238_P6120178(2).thumb.JPG.6e2f2e57c757425f2d263deb932a516b.JPG

I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd share a different perspective of the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall.  This was a Sunday in October 2018.  It was more than a sunny day that drew all the crowds.  There were various activities for the kids to do, and when completed the activity was checked off on  their sheets. We commented that the parents had much, much more patience than we would have to stand in those long lines in the sun.  We asked someone about what was happening, and learned there was a drawing for I think 10 cars for the parents if their kids turned in a completed sheet.  Nothing like a little bribery to keep parents in line. 😀

DSC04837.thumb.JPG.fd2cb0911278f1142549eb45b03340d5.JPG

DSC04831.thumb.JPG.bdf1ab6a9e1b7cf2f5c3e9e258229c0e.JPG

DSC04832.thumb.JPG.db5c404cc2789da55ee63eaa1ebf9b56.JPG

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd share a different perspective of the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall.  This was a Sunday in October 2018.  It was more than a sunny day that drew all the crowds.  There were various activities for the kids to do, and when completed the activity was checked off on  their sheets. We commented that the parents had much, much more patience than we would have to stand in those long lines in the sun.  We asked someone about what was happening, and learned there was a drawing for I think 10 cars for the parents if their kids turned in a completed sheet.  Nothing like a little bribery to keep parents in line. 😀

Lenda

17 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

😊 Did this cruise start in Singapore and end in Shanghai? 👍If so, my husband and I were on that itinerary and it was fabulous. We were on several private Cruise Critic excursions with like minded passengers. 👀

• Like 3

I had not noticed until today that both my recent Antarctia cruises (Crystal Symphony 2016 and Prinsendam 2019) began their Antarctic segments on Groundhog Day.  Both fared moderately well on the Southbound Drake but nowhere near the Drake Lake.  The Prinsendam had the better weather for the first day despite fog.  On the Symphony I walked only one difficult midday lap, mostly walking (or stumbling) on interior corridors while on Prinsendam I was able to walk 2 miles on Deck 12, and get out a little bit on the Promenade deck.  Surprisingly, while the weather was not very nice the stewards had set up the cushions on the deck chairs,.

nochairhogs.jpg

The Symphony had their weekly crew drill, but instead of mustering next to the life rafts, they formed up inside the Promenade Deck doors.  On the Prinsendam we had a couple of hardy swimmers in the lido pool:

waterfine.jpg

It was also the day the Nieuw Statendam was dedicated with the ceremony broadcast in the showroom:

dedication.jpg

While I was in the group that night for a hosted dinner with Rene, the general dinner had a "Winter Wonderland" theme with the dining room appropriately decorated:

wonderland.jpg

There was a tilt in the weather balance as I think things improved a bit on the Symphony while in his Noon update Captain Jeroen had warned of rough seas starting around 10PM.  Fortunately, I was down on deck 4 in a pretty stable location.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 14

22 minutes ago, garlictown said:

😊 Did this cruise start in Singapore and end in Shanghai? 👍If so, my husband and I were on that itinerary and it was fabulous. We were on several private Cruise Critic excursions with like minded passengers. 👀

No,  Actually, it wasn't a HAL cruise, but a 60 circle the north Pacific on Coral Princess.  We took it because it rt from LA (no long flights) and included quite a few places on the bucket list.

Lenda

• Like 1