Passport Question

habita

We just renewed our passports.  Took 4 months, so I was glad to get it done before

cruising started again.

We have Real ID also, and Global entry.  But haven't tried cruising on either of those.

If you start renewing your passport now.... maybe you will get lucky & get it back

before cruising starts? 

Searched the Princess website for passport requirements:

While we recommend that all guests bring their most recent and valid travel documentation, we do offer some cruises that don’t require a passport. In general, these are “closed-loop” voyages, or those which travel roundtrip to ports in the United States, such as: 

Cruises without passport conditions will still require another type of valid ID. For more information, please refer to our FAQ page

https://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/cruise-destinations/cruise-tips-advice-and-information/cruises-that-dont-require-a-passport.html

Providing you are a U.S. citizen you can take a RT Hawaii cruise with a stop in Mexico with a valid driver's license and an original copy of your birth certificate, but I would check with Princess to make certain they will accept it. Passports are the preferred way to go. Since the earliest date I see for an Hawaii cruise is November 5, 2021 you have plenty of time to renew your passport(s). I would do it now. Just don't cut the timing too close.

You can do it if you like but, should there be a problem and you need to get home from Mexico, you may end up wishing you had a passport. Just submit it for renewal. What do you have to lose? We also went ahead and paid for TSA PreCheck. Well worth having. If you have a Capital One credit card they will even reimburse you the cost for one person. (I had forgotten that perk and was pleasantly surprised when I saw the credit posted to my account.) We don't have Global Entry but do have Real ID.

I really can't see any reason not to renew your passport. It might be fairly fast now that people aren't traveling and even if it doesn't come back quickly you will be no worse off than you are now.

• Like 1

Probably safer to renew now. Passports are taking extra long to process and if you are doing that, I think the passport card is $10 extra, lasts 10 years like your passport and works for domestic travel. I like it as an extra form of ID and will last longer than my real ID (5 years for CA)

10 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Searched the Princess website for passport requirements:

While we recommend that all guests bring their most recent and valid travel documentation, we do offer some cruises that don’t require a passport. In general, these are “closed-loop” voyages, or those which travel roundtrip to ports in the United States, such as: 

The USA government may not require a passport for this, but some Caribbean countries now require a passport for USA citizens in order to step on land there. So if your itinerary includes one of these countries, Princess may require you to present a valid passport in order embark on the cruise.

Just renewed my passport, didn't expire until Mar. 2022, want to cruise Europe (hopefully) Nov. 2021.  Reading how long things are taking, glad I decided to it.  Local post office handled it, which was nice.

I would never try to go anywhere these days without a passport, things can change and then what?  I wouldn't want to risk it.  I went and got the newer style drivers license, too.

8 hours ago, caribill said:

The USA government may not require a passport for this, but some Caribbean countries now require a passport for USA citizens in order to step on land there. So if your itinerary includes one of these countries, Princess may require you to present a valid passport in order embark on the cruise.

Can you give us a few examples of Caribbean countries that require a passport for cruise ship passengers getting off the ship?

Our passports expire February 2022. We hope to be  on the Enchanted Princess in the Mediterranean in October. That leaves less than the required six months for a valid passport after the sail .. We sent ours out through the post office two weeks ago. We paid extra. To expedite. Should take 4-6 weeks. They already cashed our checks. Now is the time to do it. I would never leave the country without a valid passport. I don’t care what the rules are. Too many horror stories. The ship could have an accident or fire and you weren’t planning to get off. We had friends stuck on 9/11. 

7 minutes ago, voljeep said:

also St Kitt's ? - we're 'scheduled' to go there in 04/2022

never been before

I don't think a passport is required for St. Kitts. 

Another island it is required is Guadaloupe. Also Caribbean cruises that call in Central and  South America such as Cartegena, Columbia.

58 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't think a passport is required for St. Kitts. 

Another island it is required is Guadaloupe. Also Caribbean cruises that call in Central and  South America such as Cartegena, Columbia.

If cruises to Cuba are permitted to resume a passport will also be required.

They're not required for St. Kitts.

Edited by njhorseman

The notice Princess sent me one time for a closed loop Caribbean voyage:

Please be advised that documentation requirements for your voyages have been updated. A valid passport is now required for all guests on this voyage. Guests without a valid passport will be denied boarding.

Your passport should be valid for six months after the completion of travel. Please ensure the name on your passport matches your name as it appears on your booking. Additionally, make certain that your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages.

also see: https://www.frommers.com/tips/cruise/do-i-need-a-passport-to-cruise

8 minutes ago, caribill said:

The notice Princess sent me one time for a closed loop Caribbean voyage:

Please be advised that documentation requirements for your voyages have been updated. A valid passport is now required for all guests on this voyage. Guests without a valid passport will be denied boarding.

Your passport should be valid for six months after the completion of travel. Please ensure the name on your passport matches your name as it appears on your booking. Additionally, make certain that your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages.

What was your exact itinerary and when was the cruise? Requirements change from time to time  both under US law and the laws of the port countries. In addition a cruise line has the right to impose a "passport for everyone" requirement even if the countries involved don't. The luxury cruise lines commonly have this requirement for all cruises. Princess normally only imposes it where the laws and regulations require it.

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

What was your exact itinerary and when was the cruise? Requirements change from time to time  both under US law and the laws of the port countries. In addition a cruise line has the right to impose a "passport for everyone" requirement even if the countries involved don't. The luxury cruise lines commonly have this requirement for all cruises. Princess normally only imposes it where the laws and regulations require it.

December 2019

FLL - St.John, BVI - Guadeloupe - St. Kitts - Martinique - Tobago - Barbados - Mayreau, Grenadines - Antigua - Virgin Gordo, BVI - FLL

9 minutes ago, caribill said:

December 2019

FLL - St.John, BVI - Guadeloupe - St. Kitts - Martinique - Tobago - Barbados - Mayreau, Grenadines - Antigua - Virgin Gordo, BVI - FLL

Gaudeloupe and Martinique are the reasons. France decided that cruise visitors to their Caribbean overseas  territories needed passports after previously allowing the lesser WHTI requirements.

14 hours ago, caribill said:

I doubt an LA to Hawaii cruise makes any stops at Caribbean islands.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

A California Real ID is proof of residence.  It is not proof of citizenship.

David

It's not just in California. No REAL ID license serves as proof of citizenship. They serve as proof of identity and residence only. Enhanced Drivers Licenses, which are issued by only a handful of states bordering Canada, as well as a couple of Canadian provinces, serve as proof of identity and citizenship.