Is there a reliable way to tell what side of the stateroom the bed will be on?

KKmom69

We are trying to cruise with friends.  One of them is adamant that when you enter the cabin the bed is on the right.  Is there some way to tell?

I did check cruisedeckplans.com but unless someone has uploaded a photo of a particular room there is no way to know.  I guess maybe I should just call the Princess?

If any of you have tips I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

I really had never thought about this.  True that the bed can be either on the right of the entrance door or left.  If you look at the deck plans look for the fire door.  The cabin closest to the door and the next cabin will share a common wall meaning that one will have the bed on the left and the other one on the right.  The fire door will show where the fire wall is located which is always between both the cabin and the bath room.  

I doubt calling Princess will get you the information as the person answering at Princess may never have been on a Princess cruise ship. 

It would be helpful if you told us which ship/deck you are looking at.  From past experience:  Window Suites (Deck 6/Fiesta) on the Grand and Caribbean are F311/F307/F305.  

Try googling YouTube videos of the cabins you are interested in (by number).  You might find out some information such as even/odd or port/starboard.  

25 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

I really had never thought about this.  True that the bed can be either on the right of the entrance door or left.  If you look at the deck plans look for the fire door.  The cabin closest to the door and the next cabin will share a common wall meaning that one will have the bed on the left and the other one on the right.  The fire door will show where the fire wall is located which is always between both the cabin and the bath room.  

I doubt calling Princess will get you the information as the person answering at Princess may never have been on a Princess cruise ship. 

Which deck plan are you referring to that I can tell where the fire doors are? I just checked Princess' web site and I went back to cruisedeckplans.com.  I couldn't figure it out.  What you said makes sense though having been on Princess a few times.  As far as I have always been able to see, the rooms alternate. So if D604 has a bed on the right, then the 2 cabins on either side of that would have beds on the left, correct?

As you enter the closest/bath area will be either on your left or right. The beds are on the same side as the bathroom. Almost all cabins have bathrooms back to back. If you look a cabin D508 the little indent is the door area. Therefore the bathroom will be on the left as you enter, beds will face forward. D508's bathroom is back to back with D510. D510's door will be on the left, bathroom on the right, bed facing aft. Now count adjacent cabins. D506 has the door on the left, bathroom on the right beds face aft. D504 has door on the right, bathroom on the left, beds face forward. Now count up to your cabin(s). the same way. This works most of the time, but not all the time. Princess has access to more detailed deck plans and they may be able to confirm. Personally I have found no difference in the way the beds face. 

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

Thanks. This is pretty much what I thought.  Princess web site plans were not terribly illuminating, unless there is some secret thing I missed. The web site is the same as the deck plans in my brochure.

Hubby and I  don't give a damn where our bed is, but this friend is adamant about the bed.

6 minutes ago, KKmom69 said:

Thanks. This is pretty much what I thought.  Princess web site plans were not terribly illuminating, unless there is some secret thing I missed. The web site is the same as the deck plans in my brochure.

Hubby and I  don't give a damn where our bed is, but this friend is adamant about the bed.

Your friend sounds pretty strange

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KKmom69 said:

Then tell her to work it out herself or not to come.  Not your problem.

DON

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, memoak said:

Your friend sounds pretty strange

If the bed is not on the right side, it is obviously on the wrong side.   Joking aside, I would also prefer the bed on the right side.   My reason is that when looking at the bed from the foot of the bed, I always sleep on the right side and my wife on the left side.   So in a cabin, if the bed is on the right side after entering, my wife would be closer to the balcony and that's the side she likes.    Happy wife, happy life. 😄

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, KKmom69 said:

Which deck plan are you referring to that I can tell where the fire doors are? I just checked Princess' web site and I went back to cruisedeckplans.com.  I couldn't figure it out.  What you said makes sense though having been on Princess a few times.  As far as I have always been able to see, the rooms alternate. So if D604 has a bed on the right, then the 2 cabins on either side of that would have beds on the left, correct?

Look at https://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=GP.  It shows the location of the fire doors.  This is for the Dolphin deck.  The Caribe is similar.  The fire door location shows the location of the firewall.  The two cabins on either side of the firewall will have their bathrooms back to back as well as the beds.  The fire wall is between D530 and D602 (notice how the numbers change denoting a block of rooms between firewalls).  D604 and D606 have their bathrooms back to back. D602 and D606 will have the bathroom/bed on the right.  D604 will have the bathroom/bed on the left. This is the same for all decks with cabins.  All cabins have their bathrooms back to back with the next cabin.

• Like 1

I think that also just looking to see which cabin doors are next to each other in the same alcove would help as well, if you can find it. The cabin on the right side has it's bathroom, closet and bed on the right, the left door has it all to the left, I believe.

30 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Look at https://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=GP.  It shows the location of the fire doors.  This is for the Dolphin deck.  The Caribe is similar.  The fire door location shows the location of the firewall.  The two cabins on either side of the firewall will have their bathrooms back to back as well as the beds.  The fire wall is between D530 and D602 (notice how the numbers change denoting a block of rooms between firewalls).  D604 and D606 have their bathrooms back to back. D602 and D606 will have the bathroom/bed on the right.  D604 will have the bathroom/bed on the left. This is the same for all decks with cabins.  All cabins have their bathrooms back to back with the next cabin.

You are right on the money with that explanation

2 hours ago, KKmom69 said:

We are trying to cruise with friends.  One of them is adamant that when you enter the cabin the bed is on the right.  Is there some way to tell?

I did check cruisedeckplans.com but unless someone has uploaded a photo of a particular room there is no way to know.  I guess maybe I should just call the Princess?

Thanks!

With all due respect,

Is there any sensible reason 

You have been tasked

With wasting your energy

On this info mission?

• Like 1

At least on the newer ships, it is not true that the fire doors will always be located at the service wall between two cabins. Below are photos taken on the Royal of fire doors both at the service wall and at the room entry recess shared by two rooms. On the newer ships, look for rooms that have a notch, as shown on the attached deck plan. For that room, that will be the entrance door location and the beds will be on the opposite wall. The rooms will always alternate, with beds back to back, so you can determine the layout of other rooms from tis.

Fire Door 1.jpg

Fire Door 2.jpg

Deck Plan.jpg

Edited by MGAfhc

On 2/8/2021 at 8:55 AM, KKmom69 said:

Thanks!

On the Grand in 2017 the bed in our mini suite was on the right as you enter the cabin.  In 2019 on the same ship, our bed also in a mini suite, was on the left. I prefer that since I sleep on the right side of the bed looking up from the foot.  That way I was closer to the balcony with more open space. 

On 2/8/2021 at 10:24 AM, lostchild said:

If the bed is not on the right side, it is obviously on the wrong side.   Joking aside, I would also prefer the bed on the right side.   My reason is that when looking at the bed from the foot of the bed, I always sleep on the right side and my wife on the left side.   So in a cabin, if the bed is on the right side after entering, my wife would be closer to the balcony and that's the side she likes.    Happy wife, happy life. 😄

I prefer the balcony side, too.  But it sure wouldn’t keep me from cruising if I didn’t work out that way. 😆

On 2/8/2021 at 10:55 AM, KKmom69 said:

Book adjacent cabins. One will have the beds the way your friends want.

If their cabin does not have them that way, go to the front desk and have your cabins switched.

• Like 2

Note that Princess bookings default to upgrade will be accepted and you may be reassigned. If you require a certain cabin(s) you should have your booking marked no upgrade. Sometimes first time Princess customers do have their cabin upgraded.