Is there a reliable way to tell what side of the stateroom the bed will be on?

KKmom69

On 2/8/2021 at 6:10 PM, KKmom69 said:

Hubby and I  don't give a damn where our bed is, but this friend is adamant about the bed.

Depending on whether the bed is on the right or left will determine sleeping head first in the direction of sailing or feet first in the direction of sailing.   The second problem married couples tend to have is that they occupy double beds in either the right or left hand drive configuration.  Not normally a problem in hotels but at sea one of them gets the favoured balcony side while the other gets the less favourable toilet side of the bed.  You could so easily ruin a cruise holiday if you end up badly configured.  Clearly your friends are not normal thinking cruisers who consider only the port or starboard issue. I have noticed this problem where if you book port side the sea goes right to left as you view it passing your balcony.   You would not want that!  Always click "No upgrades" because the toilet can suddenly change sides and there is nothing you can do about it except sitting facing the cistern.   Have they checked all the clauses on their cruise insurance policy?

Lol John

Edited by john watson
  • Haha 3

Another way that sometimes works to see the room layout is to look for connecting rooms.  If you do a search and mark that you want to see connecting rooms, you can see the two rooms connected.  The two rooms together have the connecting door on the long wall (not the bed wall).  Then you can count every other room to pick your choice of room.  

Also picking room because of fire wall does not always work.  We tried that last cruise, and did not get correct layout.

We like rooms with the bath on the right side as you go in.  I like to sleep on the right side of the bed closest to the wall and husband likes left side of bed toward the balcony.   Not as important is head toward or away from front of ship.   Last cruise we picked the room backwards, but we were just happy to be on a cruise.

Good luck everyone picking the best room that makes you happy.

Edited by MickeyandLV
added more

Don’t care on the newer ships (Royal, Regal, etc.j but do prefer that the bed be on the right on the “jewel” ships (Emerald, Ruby, etc.).  Yes, I sleep on the side closer to the balcony that way but the real reason is I have a lot more “junk” than my DH (books, lotions, Kindle, etc.) and that way it can seamlessly spillover from the nightstand onto the desk instead of making piles on the floor.  I have previously used pictures from the cruisedecks website and now have a “cheat sheet” for booking.

The only sure way I know and use is to bookmark one of the web sites that does deck plans for all the ships and asks for photos, which they pay for, of the cabins.  

I find a cabin on the same side of the deck we are on that has interior photos that show bed position either facing forward or aft and count to our cabin knowing that beds are headboard to headboard with adjacent cabin and can now figure out if our bed faces forward or aft.  This works out fine.

We really don't care which way we face, but it does make a difference if we need to have an power extension to the wall side of the bed depending on what the needs are.

• Like 1

I know it sounds like a strange preference, but count me (and my wife) among those who do care.  Not so much because of the bed, but instead, because of the positioning of the sofa.  We always book Mini-Suites and we spend a lot of time sitting on the sofa with wine and cheese, watching the world go by.  My wife has a strong preference for sitting so that we are facing the direction of travel and not moving "backwards".  Likewise, if we are traveling by train, she will do everything in her power to sit facing forward.  So by figuring out which way the bed is oriented on a Princess ship, you can figure out which way the sofa faces, as I have never been in a MS where the two were opposite one another.  Given a choice, (and there is almost always a choice), we pick cabins with sofas that face forward using the techniques discussed in this thread.  (We rely on the "fire door" method, but that schematic in this thread that shows the entry door cutouts is a great tool too.)  Once we got upgraded to a Club Class MS and had no choice, and the cabin was a mirror image of what we would have preferred and were fine.  Not a deal breaker.  But I confess that it is a "preference."  Call us crazy, but I thought I'd at least provide some twisted logic as to why one might prefer a specific orientation.

3 hours ago, famski740 said:

With us, it's easy.  We walk into the cabin and I ask my wife what side she wants and I get the other. No problem.

Never!  I sleep on "my" side of the bed - always.  We once got separate beds at the Princess McKinley Wilderness Lodge - that's just how the room was setup. I spaced out and took the "wrong" bed. I rolled out of bed, hit my head on the "table" between the beds, and had a "gunge" on my head. As far as I can remember that's the only time I have slept with the "exit" side of the bed on the wrong side. I've been sleeping on the same side of the bed for a very long time.

Always different stroke for different folks.  The "east/west" position on which side of the bed is mostly out of habit which, as we get older doesn't change much or at all.  The "north/south" orientation is a little different preference based upon cruising experience and what view do you want as you lay there, the balcony with a sea view or the "wall".  My habit is that if I have the wall I don't linger there but get up and go out to the balcony and have the best view.

Of course, any view at this time is fine with me, but we'll have to wait until our CB sails out of PE May 15th.

Edited by Grego
Added info.

I don't think it is a strange request at all to want to know bed placement.  Couples, especially if they have been together for a very long time, have their "own" sides.  One may need to be closer to the bathroom, or need to be the closest to an outlet for a CPAP machine.

In a hotel, ship or someone's home for an overnight I always sleep closest to the door. DW on the other side - I am the Protector 🙂 Now I sometimes have trouble when we cross a street, to make sure my Sword Arm is free !

On 2/18/2021 at 10:50 AM, famski740 said:

With us, it's easy.  We walk into the cabin and I ask my wife what side she wants and I get the other. No problem.

Thank God for your post.  I do the same with my wife.  I never gave any particular side a second thought and this thread had me thinking I might be weird.

On 2/18/2021 at 7:50 AM, famski740 said:

As I said earlier, I always sleep on the same side of the bed. However, my wife is "left and right challenged". She often looks at the bed and asks which side is mine. Similar to how you do it I guess but she asks me.

On 2/15/2021 at 8:29 AM, john watson said:

Depending on whether the bed is on the right or left will determine sleeping head first in the direction of sailing or feet first in the direction of sailing.   The second problem married couples tend to have is that they occupy double beds in either the right or left hand drive configuration.  Not normally a problem in hotels but at sea one of them gets the favoured balcony side while the other gets the less favourable toilet side of the bed.  You could so easily ruin a cruise holiday if you end up badly configured.  Clearly your friends are not normal thinking cruisers who consider only the port or starboard issue. I have noticed this problem where if you book port side the sea goes right to left as you view it passing your balcony.   You would not want that!  Always click "No upgrades" because the toilet can suddenly change sides and there is nothing you can do about it except sitting facing the cistern.   Have they checked all the clauses on their cruise insurance policy?

Lol John

All of my reservations say Meta Upgrades. This means that I will consider an upgrade to the next higher category like from Inside to Outside or Outside to Balcony for example.

Tom😀  

On 2/18/2021 at 7:09 PM, Thrak said:

Never!  I sleep on "my" side of the bed - always.  We once got separate beds at the Princess McKinley Wilderness Lodge - that's just how the room was setup. I spaced out and took the "wrong" bed. I rolled out of bed, hit my head on the "table" between the beds, and had a "gunge" on my head. As far as I can remember that's the only time I have slept with the "exit" side of the bed on the wrong side. I've been sleeping on the same side of the bed for a very long time.

This is par for the course.  There you are half-asleep subconsciously thinking  "I will sneak across to my partner and grab all the bed clothes then roll back again wrapping them all round me to make a cosy swiss roll just for me".   Then, bang  karma catches you out.  

Lol John

On 2/16/2021 at 11:35 PM, smf81 said:

The MedallionClass app has deck plans that show the door indentations, like this:

IMG_0709.thumb.jpeg.aeac210a2ed20bcb8163455c5f9b7690.jpeg

It seemed accurate for our location on the Sky Princess, but I can't speak for other ships or decks.

Best idea I’ve ever heard for doing this. This technique worked flawlessly for each of the shops I’ve checked. 
But as you correctly point out, not every ship in the fleet is listed. Yet.