What cruises are on your current bucket list?

Honolulu Blue

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Norway Fjords, Nile River, and South American Cape Horn and Chilean Fjords

OK... Gotta ask.  Who was the Nile River cruise on?   (Local cruise line or one of the well known companies?)

Fred

Edited by FredT

3 minutes ago, FredT said:

OK... Gotta ask.  Who was the Nile River cruise on?   (Local cruise line or one of the well known companies?)

Fred

Fred:  We had booked a land/cruise 10 or 11 day Egyptian package with Gate 1.  4 Days were on the Nile.  We were seeing sites from Cairo to Luxor.  This was early March 2020.

We were scheduled to fly to Cairo on a Monday, and Gate 1 cancelled our tour the Friday before. That same weekend we learned that the Nile river cruise boats used by Gate 1 and other tour companies had several infected passengers that week.

So happy we had our tour cancelled prior to flying to Cairo!  So sad that we couldn't do this trip safely!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Our only remaining bucket list cruises are the Amazon and to the South Pacific from California.  After that it is either convenience or a sweet deal.   All other bucket list items are non-cruise.   My next cruise is not on the list but is a convenience cruise sailing from Florida to Europe to meet my sisters and their husbands for river and land.  DH would rather cruise to Europe than flying and dealing with jet lag and airports, sounds good to me. Of course we will fly home 

Since you mentioned jet lag, it's possible that an E/B TA may give one moderate symptoms due to the daily loss of an hour.  Towards the end of the TA, my stomach was ready for breakfast when the ship was serving lunch.  We sailed 10 days from Florida to Barcelona,

25 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Since you mentioned jet lag, it's possible that an E/B TA may give one moderate symptoms due to the daily loss of an hour.  Towards the end of the TA, my stomach was ready for breakfast when the ship was serving lunch.  We sailed 10 days from Florida to Barcelona,

We have done an eastbound and westbound before and the small adjustments made daily were ok.  I usually don't get jet lag myself but he does.  I just stay up until I am going to bed at the local time.  

8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

We have done an eastbound and westbound before and the small adjustments made daily were ok.  I usually don't get jet lag myself but he does.  I just stay up until I am going to bed at the local time.  

If I tried that, the local time could be midnight but after 6 time changes on an E/B TA my internal time clock would think it was around 6PM.  Certainly not as jolting as a quicker jet flight, but for some like myself, there is still an adjustment to be made.  

At least on a jet I was able to do a night flight and sleep most of the way E/B.  But everyone reacts differently.  I just didn't anticipate the daily loss of an hour and was surprised that I was affected by it.

My professional cruise consultant, also known as Mrs Ldubs, had targeted a Spain/Portugal cruise coupled to a land trip.  Sounds great to me.  If only . . . . 

Someday I would like to do the British Isles again.  Same for Baltic and Norway/Iceland.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

If I tried that, the local time could be midnight but after 6 time changes on an E/B TA my internal time clock would think it was around 6PM.  Certainly not as jolting as a quicker jet flight, but for some like myself, there is still an adjustment to be made.  

At least on a jet I was able to do a night flight and sleep most of the way E/B.  But everyone reacts differently.  I just didn't anticipate the daily loss of an hour and was surprised that I was affected by it.

We're on the Left Coast so add three hours to that. Flying at night with drugs and alcohol is the best I can do. Even cruising we lose at least a few hours.

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

My professional cruise consultant, also known as Mrs Ldubs, had targeted a Spain/Portugal cruise coupled to a land trip.  Sounds great to me.  If only . . . . 

Someday I would like to do the British Isles again.  Same for Baltic and Norway/Iceland.  

We have the British Isles booked with Celebrity for July 30, 2021 and hoping that gets cancelled before final. 

RCI has a July 2022 British Isles that I would love to book as a B2B with my July Arctic Circle...fingers crossed this works out !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Doing the British Isles again, especially with the Scottish Military Tattoo sounds like a great idea. Our Baltic cruise was our best cruise. We were supposed to do Norwegian fjords last summer. We have been to Iceland on a land trip. All sound great. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Hello fellow cruisers!  It's been rough times for all of us, but I think cruising will return in some form sooner or later.

Today's question for you all is what cruises are on your current bucket list.  I'll go first:

• Music-themed charter cruise - My only current cruise booking is one of these, in March '22.  I have my doubts about whether it will go, how much it will change if it does go, and whether I'll like what I end up with.  But I'm hopeful.
  • New Zealand cruise - currently hostile to foreigners (excepting Australia), but they'll come around once we all get our acts together
  • Circumnavigate Australia - currently hostile to foreigners (excepting New Zealand), but they'll probably come around once we all get our acts together
  • Pacific crossing from the U.S. West Coast to Australia
  • Africa Grand Voyage - I'm highly intrigued by HAL's current offering for late 2022.  I hope they or someone else has a similar journey in a decade or so when I will have more time (and $$$) for such things.

That's it for now.  What's on your list?  Thanks for sharing!

The only one we really would like to do is Alaska. If we are going to fly someplace for a cruise (like the Med) we'd rather do a land based vacation instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Doing the British Isles again, especially with the Scottish Military Tattoo sounds like a great idea. Our Baltic cruise was our best cruise. We were supposed to do Norwegian fjords last summer. We have been to Iceland on a land trip. All sound great. 

If you are gonna do the Tattoo, consider making it pre or post cruise.  While the tattoo itself is the "grand finale" the fact that it runs at the same time as the "Fringe" (Performing Arts Festival) makes the entire "old city" an experience not to be missed for 3-4 DAYS.   I know the first time we did the Tattoo we walked around all day (For the aforementioned 3 days) with our mouths hanging open, (And cameras clicking!)    Now if the Scot's would just understand that I really REALLY need ice with my soda's!.  😁 

22 minutes ago, FredT said:

If you are gonna do the Tattoo, consider making it pre or post cruise.  While the tattoo itself is the "grand finale" the fact that it runs at the same time as the "Fringe" (Performing Arts Festival) makes the entire "old city" an experience not to be missed for 3-4 DAYS.   I know the first time we did the Tattoo we walked around all day (For the aforementioned 3 days) with our mouths hanging open, (And cameras clicking!)    Now if the Scot's would just understand that I really REALLY need ice with my soda's!.  😁 

We have also been to Scotland on a land trip, and spent a lot of time at the Fringe Festival. We actually did not get to the Tattoo then, but did see it on our British Isles cruise.

The longer the pandemic rages on, the longer my bucket list gets!

• We have Norway, Iceland already booked - fingers crossed we make it.
  • Greek Islands and Istanbul - anything that includes those
  • Some European river cruises - particularly the tulips cruise and the Rhine
  • British Isles (one stop on our  Norway cruise, but would like to explore more of the smaller islands)
  • Venice and the Adriatic

The hubs and I got our first vaccinations last night, so we're on our way to being ready to go.  If you have the opportunity to get on the "leftover doses at the end of the day" list - DO IT!!  That's how we got ours!

Edited by Fergus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ashland said:

We have the British Isles booked with Celebrity for July 30, 2021 and hoping that gets cancelled before final. 

RCI has a July 2022 British Isles that I would love to book as a B2B with my July Arctic Circle...fingers crossed this works out !!

I hope that works out for you  

Funny that you should mention RCI's July '22 British Isles cruise.  Another poster had mentioned the same cruise for August 2022.  We took a hard look at it.  If things were just a little more clear with the pandemic, I think we would book.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FredT said:

That is pretty good advice.   We took the train in and spent part of the day wandering the Fringe, then took the train back for our ship excursion to the Tattoo (climbing Jacob's ladder to the train station was not fun!).  We really didn't have enough time to fully enjoy Edinburgh.   I think if I went there again on a cruise, I would spend more time visiting Edinburgh and perhaps even skip the Tattoo since we have seen it.   

BTW, I hear they upgraded the elementary school-sized seating at the Tattoo.  I'm 6'4" and felt extremely lucky I was on the aisle so I could stick my legs out on the stairs.   

Ice with soda can be an issue.    Scotch with soda -- no problem!.  😀😀😀

18 hours ago, evandbob said:

Might be different from the east coast, but are not all the E/B long hauls red-eyes?   Fortunately, I'm able to sleep on the plane.  But even with that it seems another symptom of old age is I'm no longer able to shrug off jet lag.   Coast-to-coast is no biggie, but flying to Europe, Asia or Oceania would be problematic if I could not relax and sleep on the plane.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Any cruise that I can drive to the cruise port for embarkation. I won't fly for a cruise but I plan to do every single one that I can drive to, so essentially every cruise on the west coast. 

Curious why you won't fly.

47 minutes ago, clo said:

Curious why you won't fly.

I'll fly but not for a cruise. I don't particularly care for flying beyond going to Vegas (easy and super-quick 2 drink flight). I'd never fly to a cruise port, say FL for example, way too long and is basically a waste of a day, two actually because I'd have to fly back and waste a bunch of time at the airport on both ends. It increases costs, reduces value, and wastes time.    

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I'll fly but not for a cruise. I don't particularly care for flying beyond going to Vegas (easy and super-quick 2 drink flight). I'd never fly to a cruise port, say FL for example, way too long and is basically a waste of a day, two actually because I'd have to fly back and waste a bunch of time at the airport on both ends. It increases costs, reduces value, and wastes time.    

To each his own:  Vegas is probably the last place I would fly to.

3 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Any cruise that I can drive to the cruise port for embarkation. I won't fly for a cruise but I plan to do every single one that I can drive to, so essentially every cruise on the west coast. 

Well, technically Seattle is within driving distance.  Between SF, So California, and Seattle you have a fair number of opportunities.  

8 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

To each his own:  Vegas is probably the last place I would fly to.

LOL. I just got a notice that Jose' Andres' Jaleo in Vegas is going to be featuring black truffles but I still wouldn't go. Living in the West there's not a single destination that I would be interested in that departs from out here. I'm more Europe and South America.