Will you cruise if vaccination is mandatory in order to board?

Thrak

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Then, of course, if the anti-vaxxers do not cruise, dinner conversations might be just a shade better.

They really could only improve! I hope they enjoy their land based vacations far away from the rest of us 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Not that much. Even on a good day anti vaxers make only 10% of the USA population, so in the cruising population that would be even smaller. I can't see cruise lines being too worried over such a tiny amount unless you can prove vaccine hesitant on board spending is 10 times that of vaccinated people then cruise lines might care😂

Totally agree. I think that as time goes on confidence in vaccines will only grow. Even if 20-25% of the population is absolutely against a vaccine under any circumstances (and a small percent will not be able to take it for various medical or allergy reasons) cruise lines will be banking on the much larger percent of the population who probably would not want to set foot on a ship without a mandate. Additionally I think ports will require it as well once cruising restarts and vaccines are more widely available worldwide. Certainly the US (under current administration) & Canada. Probably Australia/NZ & UK/EU as well. The number of places that won't require it will be in the minority, or at least that is my guess. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Sky616 said:

Then tons of business will be lost by the cruise lines.  There are many and I mean many including my family who will not ever get the shot.

I think a lot will depend on what ports require. If the US/Canada requires it that basically means you would have to travel quite a distance to cruise without one, and that is assuming Australia/NZ, UK/EU & major Asian ports don't follow suit.

I don't think it will be forever but those who can't or don't want to be vaccinated may have to settle for land based vacations for the next couple years. 

Now we may see a split where some lines require it and some don't, but if departure ports and many ports of call require it then they will really not have much of a choice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

If you want to see all things COVID, this site provides the most comprehensive data that I have seen - including vaccine delivery.  

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Here is an example covering averaged daily vaccination data for selected countries. 

image.png.c720cb9627e321de69f3fb3b334aee12.png

I've tried that website but find it is very glitchy for me. That was why I put the link to the other website, I think it is easier for others to navigate and more accessible. 

15 hours ago, Sky616 said:

There are many and I mean many including my family who will not ever get the shot.

When you see the impact that the vaccination roll out is having on deaths and hospitalisation in the UK, I do find your vehement attitude hard to comprehend.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

They are not as open as you are insinuating. They all require negative PCR or Antigen tests ranging from 72 hours to 10 days prior to arrival. Some countries like Belize require you to stay at pre approved hotels and stay in pre approved tourist area that restrict movement around the county and along with Bahamas and USVI they require you to fill out an electronic health certificate. In St Maarten you also have an added requirement to purchase Covid insurance. Dominican Republic is probably the most lenient with an aleatory breath test on arrival though if you test positive there goes your holiday and your stuck quarantining in DR. I would not be surprised if some of those countries would like to avoid all that bureaucracy and settle for just vaccinated tourists. 

You failed to see the point!!! None require a vaccine. No one has been against taking a covid test. I am 100% for the procedures in place. I am 100% in favor of vaccination for those that can voluntarily get it. I am 100% against restrictions for those that have no possibility of being vaccinated kids under 16). I would agree to more rigorous testing for kids under 16 as well because they cannot be vaccinated. 

16 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You failed to see the point!!! None require a vaccine. No one has been against taking a covid test. I am 100% for the procedures in place. I am 100% in favor of vaccination for those that can voluntarily get it. I am 100% against restrictions for those that have no possibility of being vaccinated kids under 16). I would agree to more rigorous testing for kids under 16 as well because they cannot be vaccinated. 

You said these places were 100% open, makes it sound like take your passport and go so I thought it was prudent to make sure people reading understand they have Covid entry requirements and you know there are a lot of people who struggle to fulfill these conditions. Not everyone is able to procure the tests in the time frame asked for and for the destinations the tests have a higher capacity for letting someone slip through the cracks than having tourists vaccinated before entry so realistically I think it is inevitable you will have destinations that will require a COVID vaccine as an entry requirement. Already the EU is consulting their member nations about vaccine entry requirements.

To answer the question in the post's title, I will almost certainly cruise if my chosen cruise line required a vaccination.  I'll get one eventually anyway.

The rest of this post is my random thoughts about the vaccines and cruising.  It's not meant to be a reply to any particular post and it's more for my records than for anyone's entertainment.  Here goes:

• Will (cruise line) require a vaccine for its passengers?  Several have already, mostly those headquartered in developed countries with older passengers.
  • Will (cruise line) require a vaccine for its crew?  AQSC and Victory have committed to it, and they have a plan for having the crew get their jabs.  Others have mumbled in this direction, but with no public plan.
  • Will (port) require a vaccine for cruise ship passengers to enter?  I haven't heard anything definitive yet.
  • Will the CDC require vaccines for passengers and/or crew to sail revenue cruises when they're allowed?  No one knows, not even the CDC.
  • When will the CDC back off the policy of "single positive case -> immediately end cruise"?  Will it take a vaccine requirement to do that?  Vaccinated people can already get out of quarantine for exposure IF they've had the vaccine AND have no symptoms.
  • Will we get to the point where specific vaccines are deemed "not good enough"?
  • Will the cruise lines narrow their recruiting/hiring to countries that are farther along in the vaccination process?
  • Do we have the wrong definition of "fully vaccinated"?  Currently it's both doses (if 2-dose) + 14 days.  But J&J seems to show best results after 28 days.  And there's mounting evidence for the others that they do pretty well 21-28 days after a single dose.  The UK is currently prioritizing first doses and scheduling second doses about 12 weeks out.
  • Will we get to the point where we need to have a booster to be considered fully vaccinated?
  • What about those who have had COVID-19 already?  Our current best guess is that they're immune for at least 3 months.  Evidence is piling up that one vaccine dose is good enough for them, even if ordinary folk require two.
  • How much do vaccinated people spread the virus if they've caught it?  And how much could it possibly spread if everyone around them has been vaccinated?
  • When will children under 16 be allowed to be vaccinated?  What will cruise lines do about kids until then?
  • When will we get to the point where the vaccine is not required because either (nearly) everyone has been vaccinated, caught the disease, the disease has been neutralized because it's so easily and effectively treated, or because the virus has been (virtually) wiped off the planet?

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

You said these places were 100% open, makes it sound like take your passport and go so I thought it was prudent to make sure people reading understand they have Covid entry requirements and you know there are a lot of people who struggle to fulfill these conditions. Not everyone is able to procure the tests in the time frame asked for and for the destinations the tests have a higher capacity for letting someone slip through the cracks than having tourists vaccinated before entry so realistically I think it is inevitable you will have destinations that will require a COVID vaccine as an entry requirement. Already the EU is consulting their member nations about vaccine entry requirements.

The meaning was you can travel with almost no restrictions other than the common sense of getting tested. I have been working with a TA on an AI to Cancun, Jamaica, Punta Cana and other trips to St Thomas, St Maarten, and Cozumel. The only real criteria is to be tested. The only return requirement is to be tested. This is not rocket science. 

To hold cruise lines to a completely different standard, from a US perspective, is ridiculous. Port countries can have their own rules. In most cases, they wouldn't be any different than they are now. None require vaccine, only negative testing. That same requirement should be on the cruise industry as well. Instead, there are political reasons why cruise lines are shutdown. Even the ports are saying they should be open. All covid has done is proven that the CDC is too ill-prepared for pandemics, they have far too much reach and power, and they have absolutely no clue what they are doing. To prove that last one: no cruises and 100% immunity from covid and carrying it on airline, no mask, wear a mask, don't wear a gaiter, gaiters are fine, medical masks are not good enough, medical masks are perfectly fine, wearing 1 mask does nothing you have to wear 2, vaccines are great but not perfect. In other words, they clearly have stated they have no clue. Adn yes, I will say it to any one of the overpaid people running it.

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

The meaning was you can travel with almost no restrictions other than the common sense of getting tested. I have been working with a TA on an AI to Cancun, Jamaica, Punta Cana and other trips to St Thomas, St Maarten, and Cozumel. The only real criteria is to be tested. The only return requirement is to be tested. This is not rocket science. 

But that was not what you stated initially about travel to Caribbean Islands. Hence why likeanswers questioned you.

I'm sorry but you do sound anti-scientist and anti any restriction on doing what you want to do. 

I know my American friends support the science, masking and vaccines etc but people like yourself make people like me in Australia wonder about coming back to the USA for sometime, because just how many anti-science people are there in the USA?

19 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You people do realize that almost all Caribbean destinations are 100% open to US travelers NOW?!?!?! 

If there were going to be "in country" restrictions requiring vaccination, that would be happening now and not when cruising starts late this year.  

In response to your assertion that the destinations are 100% open to US travelers, I see that as even more incentive for cruise lines to require all PAX to be vaccinated.  If the people in a particular foreign destination do not have the protection of vaccines, how could a cruise line expect that no unvaccinated passenger would have had an exposure event onshore and bring the virus onboard to spread to the other unvaccinated passengers?  Do you realize the damage that would do?  I would think any cruise line would put into place whatever measures were best suited to ensure that didn't happen and to keep their PAX (and itineraries) safe from Covid.  If a cruise line allowed unvaccinated passengers onboard to visit unvaccinated destinations, you wouldn't be too likely to find me or a large number of others onboard their ships.  

Why would any country require vaccinations "in country" if they don't have the vaccines yet?  Obviously, any vaccine mandate would need to wait until a significant percentage of their own population has been vaccinated.  

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You people do realize that almost all Caribbean destinations are 100% open to US travelers NOW?!?!?! Grand Cayman may be the sole exclusion. Trust me, I have looked at AI resorts at many of them and working with a travel agent. Anyone of any age can travel to Mexico, Roatan, Belize, Jamaica, Bahamas, St Thomas, St Maarten, Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, and I am probably leaving a few out. Requiring a vaccine in 6 months makes absolutely no sense for those that a vaccine does not exist for. I can understand the knee-jerk responses, but a little more research proves the statements have no logic.

If there were going to be "in country" restrictions requiring vaccination, that would be happening now and not when cruising starts late this year.  

They require a negative PCR test and have other restrictions.  Their challenge is, of course, they don't have access to any of the vaccinations.  In several countries their populations are suffering high rates of infection.

The "knee-jerk" statement that everyone should not be concerned with a COVID infection, including children, has no logic.  You are aware of the newborn that had over 50,000 times the level of COVID infection normally seen in patients.  Children are dying, as well, from COVID infections.  

Being more sensitive to this global problem instead of castigating others for the possibility of your vacation plans being interrupted shows lack of understanding of this global pandemic.

Note:  we have our two Pfizer vaccinations and are ready to cruise, preferably on a ship where everyone is vaccinated.  Three scheduled for 2022.  Will feel much safer with everyone vaccinated crew and passengers.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

11 hours ago, clo said:

I'm really surprised at your vehemence. What has caused that? And what if members of your family disagree with you?

Nobody in my family disagrees with me.  Nobody is getting it.  My in laws in their 70's said no way.  Not being a guinea pig.

3 minutes ago, Sky616 said:

Nobody in my family disagrees with me.  Nobody is getting it.  My in laws in their 70's said no way.  Not being a guinea pig.

It is your choice and I respect that.  Please respect the choice of the rest of us who only want to sail with others who were vaccinated.  No one is trying to force the vaccine on you.  If vaccines end up being required, your time to sail will need to come a little later. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

I know my American friends support the science, masking and vaccines etc but people like yourself make people like me in Australia wonder about coming back to the USA for sometime, because just how many anti-science people are there in the USA?

It is concerning - but over time I believe the situation will improve:  some will realize that if they want to cruise, or even travel,  they might have to get the shot, others will lose their argument that children cannot get it as developments make vaccine available for younger people, and - of course - as they age (if maturity does not bring them wisdom) they will be more likely to simply die off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

They require a negative PCR test and have other restrictions.  Their challenge is, of course, they don't have access to any of the vaccinations.  In several countries their populations are suffering high rates of infection.

The "knee-jerk" statement that everyone should not be concerned with a COVID infection, including children, has no logic.  You are aware of the newborn that had over 50,000 times the level of COVID infection normally seen in patients.  Children are dying, as well, from COVID infections.  

Being more sensitive to this global problem instead of castigating others for the possibility of your vacation plans being interrupted shows lack of understanding of this global pandemic.

Note:  we have our two Pfizer vaccinations and are ready to cruise, preferably on a ship where everyone is vaccinated.  Three scheduled for 2022.  Will feel much safer with everyone vaccinated crew and passengers.

I think there are some who are forgetting travel and especially cruising is a luxury🙄. No cruise line is obligated to guarantee anyone a right to cruise just like no country has to guarantee any right for you be a tourist there. If they want to change rules from testing to being vaccinated that is their right and it will just another thing we with have to deal with next to passports, border security, visas and entry and exit fees.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I guess for me, I am in a wait and see situation. If a vaccine is required to travel then I will eventually get it. Where I live and work I am months away from having the vaccine available to me. If there are no changes in restrictions I am not in any hurry to get it. I'll let those who are more anxious then me get it first when my group comes up.

All medications/vaccines have a risk and if I still have to wear a mask and socially distance it's not worth it to me. Traveling without restrictions would be worth the risk. By the time I am eligible, all those more vulnerable should have had the opportunity to get it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The tens of thousands of people who took part in the clinical trials were guinea pigs, so you don't have to be one.

But how many more tens of thousands of people would have been additional guinea pigs had the vaccine not been rushed through so quickly? It is a valid concern for many. I've done enough research to not have that concern myself, but I can see others having the concern. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HxFx said:

All medications/vaccines have a risk and if I still have to wear a mask and socially distance it's not worth it to me. Traveling without restrictions would be worth the risk. By the time I am eligible, all those more vulnerable should have had the opportunity to get it. 

I liked most of your post, but understand that as the vaccines become more widely available, it will be the unvaccinated who will be the only vectors of the disease, prolonging the pandemic and attendant restrictions.  So, if the restrictions continue in place it will only be because of those who refused to be vaccinated.  I have a similar train of thought as yours about vaccinations and continuing to need to abide by restrictions.  I'm just not ready to end up on a ventilator at this point in my life, so I will readily accept the vaccine.  If vaccinated, and cruise lines will still require masks and quarantines it's not worth it to me to get on a cruise ship but it's clearly worth my life to take the vaccine.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

But how many more tens of thousands of people would have been additional guinea pigs had the vaccine not been rushed through so quickly? It is a valid concern for many. I've done enough research to not have that concern myself, but I can see others having the concern. 

The amount of clinical trials carried out were greater than would normally be the case, but because immediate funding was available, there was not the need to wait for additional monies to become available between each trial stage. Hence the ability to safely speed up the development progress.

I'm amazed that this same old mantra keeps getting wheeled out, given that all the approved  vaccines have gone through the same approval process that has been used for all previous vaccines.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The misinformation that the vaccine was 'rushed' is what is causing people to be hesitant.  The vaccine was not 'rushed through.'  The research into corona virus vaccines is years old, starting in 2005 with the original SARS outbreak.  What Operation Warp Speed did was to cut out the bureaucratic red tape to enable the vaccines to come to market sooner.

See:  SARS Vaccine Development (nih.gov)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The amount of clinical trials carried out were greater than would normally be the case, but because immediate funding was available, there was not the need to wait for additional monies to become available between each trial stage. Hence the ability to safely speed up the development progress.

I'm amazed that this same old mantra keeps getting wheeled out, given that all the approved  vaccines have gone through the same approval process that has been used for all previous vaccines.

Yes, it would be nice to just pour the same information into everyone's heads at the same time, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

• Like 1

Just now, Daniel A said:

The misinformation that the vaccine was 'rushed' is what is causing people to be hesitant.  The vaccine was not 'rushed through.'  The research into corona virus vaccines is years old, starting in 2005 with the original SARS outbreak.  What Operation Warp Speed did was to cut out the bureaucratic red tape to enable the vaccines to come to market sooner.

See:  SARS Vaccine Development (nih.gov)

I understand that, but some people don't. 

• Like 1