Do you think Carnival will bring back straws ?

VentureMan_2000

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Have to disagree.  If you use a straw, you're ingesting drink only, while if you're not using a straw, you're ingesting a combination of drink and air.  So if straws are provided, you'll consume the drink faster.

I may be the one misunderstanding but I think that's what Jetsfan58 is saying - if you use a straw it makes the drink disappear faster.

I would like regular straws for frozen drinks,  but I can do without for everything else. I drink slowly and my sugar straws tend to melt shut before I can finish a daiquiri. 

Then again, if they provided straws for select drinks, people ordering other drinks would just ask for straws and the staff would comply, so I understand why they don't have them at all. 

I just wish I could vacation at all. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 11:58 AM, VentureMan_2000 said:

The article was saying the cost is less than a penny per straw.  To compare, straws cost 0.4 cents each when you purchase a box of 3000 straws from a big box store.

At the same time, they eliminated cocktail stirrers, tiny umbrellas and the fruit garnishes on cocktails.  That is  where the savings are.  At many bars, servers and customers dip their dirty hands into exposed cocktail fruit trays all the time

16 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

We will all chip in and make sure to get you a bib next time. There's always a remedy; let it melt and enjoy the pleasure.

Thanks for the bib offer - lol!  When I let my frozen drinks melt a bit the alcohol sinks to the bottom and it becomes too strong for me. (lightweight drinker here). I also use the straws to stir the drink.  I usually pack my own straws but always forget them in the cabin.  No matter which way CCL goes- continued ban or not - I will make do.

Edited by pe4all

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

At the same time, they eliminated cocktail stirrers, tiny umbrellas and the fruit garnishes on cocktails.  That is  where the savings are.  At many bars, servers and customers dip their dirty hands into exposed cocktail fruit trays all the time

The real saving is in storage space onboard, which is at a premium. As for monetary savings it's kind of a trade off since the expense is deductible. I've never seen a customer take fruit out of one of the trays on a ship (I've seen it in land bars)(and I do realize that it can and probably does happen). The servers for the most part use tongs but I'm sure there are exceptions (and just as sure that they wash their hands frequently). This is the first that I've heard that they have eliminated the fruit garnishes, though. Certainly not a game changer, but I usually consume the garnish.

• Like 1

IF the cruise lines ever start up again (which doesn’t look good) get ready for many more cuts than just straws.  I’m sure they’ll be cutting back on everything.  They’ve lost billions of dollars and are continuing to bleed.  I’m sure most options that were “standard” prior to the shutdown will either cost extra $ or will not be available.  Cruising will never be the same, sadly.  I think we’re going to see more and more ships heading to the scrapyard the longer this nonsense drags on.

17 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Have to disagree.  If you use a straw, you're ingesting drink only, while if you're not using a straw, you're ingesting a combination of drink and air.  So if straws are provided, you'll consume the drink faster.

I always thought that we are attempting to eliminate as much product waste as possible around the World. The cups, glasses, can are somewhat a necessity to be able to consume the beverages. When I was growing up we drank cold water from a garden hose. Straws are not a necessity and are only adding cost and waste. Could easily be phased out and no one would question it except the straw manufacturers. They would still be able to provide cups and plates with the unused materials. 

Maybe the Cruise industry will come up with a solution that resembles the "Sippy Cups" that we trained our children to use at an early age. Of course they would have to be made and permanently attached for ease of use. Then you have the straw built in with no worries of excess litter and waste.   

15 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Maybe the Cruise industry will come up with a solution that resembles the "Sippy Cups" that we trained our children to use at an early age. Of course they would have to be made and permanently attached for ease of use. Then you have the straw built in with no worries of excess litter and waste.   

That idea would be just as hypocritical as banning straws yet still selling cases of bottled water which wastes substantially more plastic and is less environmentally friendly than the straws are. 

6 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

That idea would be just as hypocritical as banning straws yet still selling cases of bottled water which wastes substantially more plastic and is less environmentally friendly than the straws are. 

My point exactly. It comes down to greed and economics. The straws are free to passengers so they are not making additional dollars from selling the straws.  Can be easily eliminated and not noticed. If they did away with straws would that stop you from Cruising? The water bottles are a charge and profitability item.  They count on the heat of the day so you will get more thirsty and spend more bottled water money. 

Remember I am a frugal individual. I only sail inside cabins because I just feel it's a waste of funds to have a window or balcony. I see enough sunlight and sky during my onboard and offboard adventures. Save that money for the next and the next cruise. Always boils down to economic power.    

I also have metal travel straws now.

Straws and stirrers and such have two environmental issues:

Trash in the ocean, and as we know the wind takes it all overboard. 

Marine Life danger, which is both in physical harm an ingestion harm.

Even paper implements and napkins can be harmful.  I see a dozen napkins go overboard every hour.

I am glad to see we are finally doing something about this. (and plastic water bottles too - NCL changed to paper bottles).

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I've never had one, but it sounds extremely unappetizing. 

They come in chocolate & I'm thinking lime, depending on type of frozen drink. I wouldn't describe them as delicious, but I almost always eat a few bites of it. In use, they are definitely better than paper straws, but they can still get soggy and are definitely not appealing once they are, so you bite that part off.

I am in no way trying to start a revolt. However, since I am a non smoker I am just as concerned with passengers throwing their used tobacco products overboard. I realize that plastic and tobacco products are both equally dangerous to our marine life and eco system. 

Maybe one day we will see more user friendly items that won't harm anyone or anything.   

Straws or no straws, won't stop me from cruising.

With that said, I much prefer straws, but I absolutely don't want to carry one around or mess with keeping one clean.  I also have issues with the durability of sugar straws.

Did some research on alternatives to plastic and sugar (as it looks like others on this thread have done).  Actual straws made of straw, uncoated, will easily stand up through a drink as you leisurely stir and sip it.  They are biodegradable.  While I would never advocate tossing things in the water, I can't see how those that might blow off the ship will do any harm to aquatic life before it decomposed.  I would like Carnival to consider the option of providing straw straws with each drink.

If the cruise line charged a penny or two extra per drink, they would conceivably come out ahead economically, and maybe score points for being environmentally friendly and responsive to their consumers' desires.

So, to the OPs original question, don't think we will ever see Carnival providing single-use plastic straws.  They will probably continue to give out sugar straws with frozen drinks, and push the on-board sales of those Carnival-branded foldable straws.  Can't see something like my recommendation ever take hold until they get substantial feedback requesting such an action.

12 minutes ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

Straws or no straws, won't stop me from cruising.

With that said, I much prefer straws, but I absolutely don't want to carry one around or mess with keeping one clean.  I also have issues with the durability of sugar straws.

Did some research on alternatives to plastic and sugar (as it looks like others on this thread have done).  Actual straws made of straw, uncoated, will easily stand up through a drink as you leisurely stir and sip it.  They are biodegradable.  While I would never advocate tossing things in the water, I can't see how those that might blow off the ship will do any harm to aquatic life before it decomposed.  I would like Carnival to consider the option of providing straw straws with each drink.

If the cruise line charged a penny or two extra per drink, they would conceivably come out ahead economically, and maybe score points for being environmentally friendly and responsive to their consumers' desires.

So, to the OPs original question, don't think we will ever see Carnival providing single-use plastic straws.  They will probably continue to give out sugar straws with frozen drinks, and push the on-board sales of those Carnival-branded foldable straws.  Can't see something like my recommendation ever take hold until they get substantial feedback requesting such an action.

Your points are well taken. In the end it's still a cost of doing business to Carnival. I just don't see them spending any additional monies toward straws. Whether the beverage prices rise or not, inevitably, Carnival will raise prices within their portfolio. Big corporations do it all the time as they offer you less product (reducing ounces) but still charge you the same price.    

Carnival is business entity first; therefore, they are focused on profit and stockholder happiness. You will get charged "more" for "less" somewhere during your cruise adventure. Hard reality of doing business.  

The funny thing is you have people driving long distances or traveling on airplanes to get to the ship, all polluting the environment and consuming fossil fuels.  They then board a cruise ship which emits all sorts of pollution.  They are indulging in a form of vacation which creates huge food waste along with using lots of natural resources to provide the 'atmosphere'.

Yet they are saving the world by eliminating a straw.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ray98 said:

The funny thing is you have people driving long distances or traveling on airplanes to get to the ship, all polluting the environment and consuming fossil fuels.  They then board a cruise ship which emits all sorts of pollution.  They are indulging in a form of vacation which creates huge food waste along with using lots of natural resources to provide the 'atmosphere'.

Yet they are saving the world by eliminating a straw.

And turtles.

And it must be remembered that plastic straws have been eliminated in many venues and areas in our country and probably others, so as far as it being a Carnival only issue, well, it isn't. There are alternatives and many companies are making use of them. Will we change the overall pollution footprint by doing away with straws? Undoubtedly no. But we do need to do what we can reasonably do to protect Mother Earth while at the same time keeping in mind that even if we all suddenly started living as the Amish 7 billion people are still going to have an adverse affect on the environment one way or another.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

And it must be remembered that plastic straws have been eliminated in many venues and areas in our country and probably others, so as far as it being a Carnival only issue, well, it isn't. There are alternatives and many companies are making use of them. Will we change the overall pollution footprint by doing away with straws? Undoubtedly no. But we do need to do what we can reasonably do to protect Mother Earth while at the same time keeping in mind that even if we all suddenly started living as the Amish 7 billion people are still going to have an adverse affect on the environment one way or another.

Amen to all that.