Royal Caribbean to resume sailings in the Med with vaccination mandate. Will Princess Follow???

LACruiser88

13 hours ago, chef Brian said:

everyone is talking about how they feel safe because they have been vaccinated....and want the cruiselines to make the vaccine mandatory. to be honest just cause you got the vaccination doesn't mean you can't get Covid!!! it means you have reduced chances, one is 94% percent and one is 97% depending on which you took.

If I remember correctly, the 94% and 97% numbers were for preventing symptomatic infection. They did not test the trial participants for non-symptomatic infection. So for the present, it must be assumed than even those who have had the vaccine can catch the virus and could pass it on to others.

13 hours ago, chef Brian said:

there are lots of people say that they will never get the vaccine.(not enough research) even medical workers, or young people because they have a  98% recovery rate. 

Many of those who survive having Covid-19 have long term debilitating effects. Many who survive also have medical bills that can lead to bankruptcy.

• Like 1

As has been said--vaccines ( yellow fever etc)are required for many countries so a World or partial world cruise voyage  requires mandatory proof of vaccination or no boarding. Why is this any different?

Yes the luggage porters and terminal workers may not be vaccinated but if the passengers are then it limits the chances of getting the disease  and disrupting the cruise!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

As a matter of interest, P&O have cancelled their entire summer schedule up until the end of August. I wonder if Princess will do the same?

I've just had an email advising me of a docking change (Regal) because of port congestion (too many cruise ships in port) for my cruise in June. So it seems they intend to start by then if allowed to by Governments.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

As a matter of interest, P&O have cancelled their entire summer schedule up until the end of August. I wonder if Princess will do the same?

3 hours ago, dwhe said:

I've just had an email advising me of a docking change (Regal) because of port congestion (too many cruise ships in port) for my cruise in June. So it seems they intend to start by then if allowed to by Governments.

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., March 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- As Princess Cruises continues to review and assess its operations following the recent UK Government announcement on the roadmap to ease lockdown and related international travel  restrictions, the company is extending the pause of its UK-based cruise vacations, sailing roundtrip from Southampton, through September 25, 2021 on Sky Princess, Regal Princess and Island Princess.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2021 at 11:59 AM, chef Brian said:

....yes we can reduce the risk. but unless everyone in the entire world gets vaccinated there will always be a risk!!!

Even then we're told there is still that 5% risk. However, I am MORE than willing to take that risk....even more risk actually to get on with my life. I understand not everyone feels that way, and that's fine also. But I gotta be pragmatic....and I REALLY want to go cruising again!😎

• Like 3

2 hours ago, caribill said:

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., March 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- As Princess Cruises continues to review and assess its operations following the recent UK Government announcement on the roadmap to ease lockdown and related international travel  restrictions, the company is extending the pause of its UK-based cruise vacations, sailing roundtrip from Southampton, through September 25, 2021 on Sky Princess, Regal Princess and Island Princess.

Yea just got my email from them, on the positive side they also said they will be introducing cruises open to UK cruisers only later in the summer, details to come soon.

Just now, dwhe said:

Yea just got my email from them, on the positive side they also said they will be introducing cruises open to UK cruisers only later in the summer, details to come soon.

Which, assuming they go down the P&O route, will not incorporate any ports. Just sea days.  

13 minutes ago, dwhe said:

Also on the positive side is that they are willing to switch your booking to next year and protect the price you signed up for this year.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2021 at 10:06 PM, caribill said:

Also on the positive side is that they are willing to switch your booking to next year and protect the price you signed up for this year.

Indeed, which I've requested. They had better honour it as it's £5000 dearer for the same cabin next year.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 2:06 PM, caribill said:

I wish they would have done that on my other cruises that Princess cancelled. All prices are more than before! 

Edited by jennybenny
  • Like 1

I sure hope they require proof of immunization before boarding! Count me among the biased parties...I'm fully vaccinated and work in a hospital. HUGE vaccine proponent here. Yes, I understand it isn't 100% effective, but does it have to be all or nothing? It's more than effective enough to allow life to move on as close to normal as possible. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 3:33 PM, USCcruisecrazy said:

All the military I work with daily that are deploying or travel to foreign countries are required to take the vaccine...or they aren't allowed to travel.  Can't risk negative impact to the Mission.  So, what does that mean?  Choose not to take the vaccine...fine...but when that next promotion comes up, don't complain when you get passed over.  Thye are also making all Civilian employees (GS) that travel be vaccinated as well...as long as they are deemed mission essential.  The only ones that aren't required for travel are Contractors like me...but I had the first shot anyway last week...2nd scheduled for 1 April.  April Fool's to me!!

Maybe it depends on which country they're headed to.  One of my children just left for Rammstein and was not required to have the shot.  It was offered and encouraged, but not mandatory.  Can you provide documentation?  It sounds like your base is mandating something that's not required.

16 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I know I'd feel safer if everyone , passengers and crew are required to be vaccinated. No exceptions for any reason. If I'm flamed for this, so be it.

I'd feel safer if everyone drove 25 MPH in my neighborhood, even though the speed limit is 45.  Or if nobody ever smoked, ate doughnuts to excess, played their stereo louder than talking volume, etc.  Life carries risk.  It's not about feeling safer when the risk is so low anyway; even lower if you've had the jab. It's about statistics, and weighing them against personal responsibility. No flaming here; people who flame simply because they disagree show their poor breeding.  We all have different opinions and have to make our own decisions.

I'm guessing that RCCL will look at the surveys they recently sent, decide which passengers they can afford to lose.  I'm betting that those who filled out the demographics with higher incomes and/or those with loyalty status will carry a lot more weight.  They're a private company; whatever they choose is within their right.

Edited by Incognito1

39 minutes ago, dog said:

There is lots of talk here in Canada for Vaccination proof passport/ document. If airports are requiring this, cruise ships should too, IMO. 

So far the USA has no official form of proof of vaccination. There is an easily forged CDC card that has the name, dates and vaccine batch numbers written on it, but I would not consider that a reliable proof document.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

So far the USA has no official form of proof of vaccination. There is an easily forged CDC card that has the name, dates and vaccine batch numbers written on it, but I would not consider that a reliable proof document.

Agree,  I saw on an iPhone- digital passport. Not sure, caught end of news report on this.  lots online about countries coming up with this idea 

Edited by dog

11 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

I'm betting that those who filled out the demographics with higher incomes and/or those with loyalty status will carry a lot more weight.  They're a private company; whatever they choose is within their right.

I'll take that bet.  I believe the cruise lines will prioritize those passengers who are least likely to get sick and die onboard their ships.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, Incognito1 said:

Maybe it depends on which country they're headed to.  One of my children just left for Rammstein and was not required to have the shot.  It was offered and encouraged, but not mandatory.  Can you provide documentation?  It sounds like your base is mandating something that's not required.

I'm guessing your child was PCSing to Ramstein.  A beautiful area of Germany for sure.  My #1 son was stationed there for 4 years and returned recently.  Yes, a PCS was likely a choice.  The folks I work with are supporting the War efforts in the Middle East so can not afford to get the virus and be out of the fight.  Thus, it is a requirement before they leave our stateside location and travel to Qatar or Afghanistan, or a few other choice spots in the Middle East.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 4:14 AM, SargassoPirate said:

I think that for cruise lines to be able to open up and go, mandatory vaccinations for crew and passengers should be required. Anti-vaxers can stay home and hide, but the rest of us want to get back out there.

At the 3/11/21 Princess webinar the question was asked about requiring vaccinations & no decision has been made yet. For crew who come from around the world their availability of shots will be determined by their home country so having all crew vaccinated might not be possible.

I’ve read several articles that even the US military cannot force personnel to be vaccinated because the vaccines are approved under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) which could take as long as 2 years to become approved vaccines. The last stats I read was that about 30% of military personnel have decided against being vaccinated which is about the same percentage for other groups who are eligible for vaccination.

These CDC stats for those 65+ which is a large part of the cruising demographic is encouraging & should improve during the many months before cruising resumes.

4325630F-F346-45C6-8982-42C6BDC98726.png

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

A private company isn't  the  military. They can require vaccines.  No vaccine, no cruise ,period.

A private company can make additional employment requirements however a private company cannot today secure vaccines for their employees particularly for an international crew...period.

Requiring vaccinations without any available would result in few international employees to staff cruise ships.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

A private company can make additional employment requirements however a private company cannot today secure vaccines for their employees particularly for an international crew...period.

Requiring vaccinations without any available would result in few international employees to staff cruise ships.

yep, just like when testing for Corona first came out - private companies couldn't 'buy' testing facilities time and rapid results, huh ?

sorry, but money talks - ALWAYS follow the money ...