Royal Caribbean to resume sailings in the Med with vaccination mandate. Will Princess Follow???

LACruiser88

• LACruiser88 changed the title to Royal Caribbean to resume sailings in the Med with vaccination mandate. Will Princess Follow???

This is good news for the Med cruises. 

USA cruiser here. Never the same as anywhere else. Even the military can't make the vaccine mandatory (yet).

Quote from Voice of America, 2021-01-21 article on military vaccinations:

"Pentagon leaders say they will not require their personnel to take the vaccine until the U.S. Food and Drug Administration gives its full approval of the drug. So far, the FDA has only given emergency authorization that allowed for the initial distribution of the vaccine. It could be up to two years before the full approval comes, military officials have told VOA."

If the military can't make it mandatory, it's gonna be tough for the civilian entities to do so. But they can basically just not cruise here until it's effectively mandatory.

Edited by CruiseMrB

16 minutes ago, CruiseMrB said:

USA cruiser here. Never the same as anywhere else. Even the military can't make the vaccine mandatory (yet).

"Pentagon leaders say they will not require their personnel to take the vaccine until the U.S. Food and Drug Administration gives its full approval of the drug. So far, the FDA has only given emergency authorization that allowed for the initial distribution of the vaccine. It could be up to two years before the full approval comes, military officials have told VOA."

If the military can't make it mandatory, it's gonna be tough for the civilian entities to do so. But they can basically just not cruise here until it's effectively mandatory.

All the military I work with daily that are deploying or travel to foreign countries are required to take the vaccine...or they aren't allowed to travel.  Can't risk negative impact to the Mission.  So, what does that mean?  Choose not to take the vaccine...fine...but when that next promotion comes up, don't complain when you get passed over.  Thye are also making all Civilian employees (GS) that travel be vaccinated as well...as long as they are deemed mission essential.  The only ones that aren't required for travel are Contractors like me...but I had the first shot anyway last week...2nd scheduled for 1 April.  April Fool's to me!!

• Like 1

We are booked on Enchanted Princess for Sept. 18, 2021 and would like a mandate for all crew and guests to be fully vaccinated against COVID19. It seems a small price to pay to allow us to feel comfortable onboard and ashore. What are the different views of the cruise critic community?

Edited by NavArch64
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, CruiseMrB said:

Although businesses can set their own policies & would guess that some cruise lines will make the vaccination mandatory. Before the government made it mandatory airlines required masks to be worn to fly.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I think this situation is completely different because it’s cruises for Israel’s citizens, not Americans. I believe the criteria is set by Israel, not Royal. 

That is correct -  The vaccine mandate is for all guests 16 and over and is being required by the Israeli & Greek & Cypriot governments , not the Cruise Line themselves.

I expect this to become commonplace as cruising resumes.  I also expect we will see additional ships from various cruise lines announce restart plans from EU/UK homeports for summer/fall 2021, but ONLY for residents of the homeport countries.  This is what MSC, Costa, AIDA and TUI/Mein Schiff were doing in fall/winter 2020/21 from their european homeports on the few ships they had running before the latest government shutdowns in those countries.

7 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

We are booked on Enchanted Princess for Sept. 18, 2021 and would like a mandate for all crew and guests to be fully vaccinated against COVID19. It seems a small price to pay to allow us to feel comfortable onboard and ashore. What are the different views of the cruise critic community?

I hope they have that requirement before our next cruise in Fall 2021 from LA.

Reading a recent USA Today article Costa, RCI & NCL aim to require crew to be vaccinated & are exploring their options for passengers. If the CDC makes vaccinations mandatory for USA cruises they will have to comply.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/02/12/covid-vaccine-royal-caribbean-norwegian-require-crews-get-vaccine/6743491002/

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

I think it's true that the views of the community span just about any viewpoint you can think of. For us, we'd be very happy if this was mandated. Hoping to cruise on 10/31/21.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

That is correct -  The vaccine mandate is for all guests 16 and over and is being required by the Israeli & Greek & Cypriot governments , not the Cruise Line themselves.

I expect this to become commonplace as cruising resumes.  I also expect we will see additional ships from various cruise lines announce restart plans from EU/UK homeports for summer/fall 2021, but ONLY for residents of the homeport countries.  This is what MSC, Costa, AIDA and TUI/Mein Schiff were doing in fall/winter 2020/21 from their european homeports on the few ships they had running before the latest government shutdowns in those countries.

FYI - MSC & Costa cruises currently and previously sailing from Italy are open to all EU residents not just home ported Italians.

2 minutes ago, srpilo said:

FYI - MSC & Costa cruises currently and previously sailing from Italy are open to all EU residents not just home ported Italians.

Thanks for the clarification.  I was under the impression they were restricting to just Italian Residents and not all EU countries

2 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

There are long threads about this on the Ask  A Cruise Question board.  You might wander over there and see how others feel.  EM

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CruiseMrB said:

The EEOC has already ruled that companies can require their employees to be vaccinated. So you already have some civilian entities requiring vaccination

There is nothing that prevents cruise lines from requiring their passengers to be vaccinated. After all cruising is an optional activity, if someone does not want to be vaccinated they do not have to be, but of course they would not be able to cruise, it is their choice.

The interesting thing is that the law that authorizes the FDA to grant Emergency Authorization Approvals also states that products that have been granted an EUA are not to be considered to be unapproved.  So as far as legal status goes a product with an EUA is considered to be approved for as long as the EUA is in effect, even if a full submission has not occurred.

• Like 1

I can see the same thing for all the cruise lines....if they want any part of the travel business in the near future. It certainly would make the passengers feel more relaxed about contacting the virus from nearby cruisers. 

15 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

A big yes to having all passengers and crew vaccinated 

4 hours ago, Grego said:

Hopefully the answer is yes.  We have our completed vaccination card packed right inside our passports ready for the May 15th voyage on the CB.

great idea!

7 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Have had both Moderna vaccinations and are ready to sail even if the cruise line does not require it. Want to get back on the ocean. Though we would prefer all vaccinated. 

My main concern about initially allowing a combination of vaccinated and non-vaccinated PAX and crew is what happens to your cruise if a number of the unvaccinated take ill during the cruise?  I don't want some government requiring everybody on board be quarantined and returned to the point of departure prematurely.  JMHO.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 4

everyone is talking about how they feel safe because they have been vaccinated....and want the cruiselines to make the vaccine mandatory. to be honest just cause you got the vaccination doesn't mean you can't get Covid!!! it means you have reduced chances, one is 94% percent and one is 97% depending on which you took. a condoms is 99.9% effective and we still have babies born every year from people using them. if everyone gets the vaccination will it help, of course. but there are people that can't take it for medical reasons and what about people who can't take it for religious reasons. are you telling them you have more rights then them? if the cruise lines enforce only vaccinated people can cruise, look out for the lawsuits... so who do you think the cruise line is going to pick? a passenger  that has say 300 or more days at sea but  they have a medical condition and didn't get the vaccine, or some one that might cruise once a year that got the vaccine. the answer is, cruise lines will say  show me the money!! cruise line is going to pick someone who spends the most money, with they cruiseline,  in case you are wondering, i am too young to get the vaccine yet i am 50. but i will. when it is available. but i am being realistic, read the news look at the internet there are lots of people say that they will never get the vaccine.(not enough research) even medical workers, or young people because they have a  98% recovery rate. 

but even if everyone is mandated, think about the long shore men that handle your luggage, they don't work for the cruise line! they work for a independent company. they have there own union and would have to vote for everyone to get it! and then there is the people that are bringing all the supplies to the ship are they vaccinated? and you said small price to pay to feel safe on land or shore, well if you get off ship in another country, which most are very poor and most likely won't get vaccinated, so if you want to feel completely safe all you can do is stay home. because like it or not we do not control the world we live in. yes we can reduce the risk. but unless everyone in the entire world gets vaccinated there will always be a risk!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There will be no successful lawsuits. If you want to visit the Amazonian region of Brazil you need to show proof of protection from malaria or you cannot get on the plane. No one is forcing you to book a cruise

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, chef Brian said:

just cause you got the vaccination doesn't mean you can't get Covid!!! it means you have reduced chances, one is 94% percent and one is 97% depending on which you took. a condoms is 99.9% effective and we still have babies born every year from people using them. if everyone gets the vaccination will it help, of course. but there are people that can't take it for medical reasons and what about people who can't take it for religious reasons. are you telling them you have more rights then them? if the cruise lines enforce only vaccinated people can cruise, look out for the lawsuits... so who do you think the cruise line is going to pick?

Wow, there is a lot to unpack here.  First, I appreciate your opinion and I am pleased that you were able to offer it to us.  Nobody should blindly follow anybody, we are not lemmings, so a variety of input is vital to discussion and decision making for such an important issue.

Do you think that since the vaccination is not completely 100% effective, it might make sense to require all people participating in a specific activity to be vaccinated as each unvaccinated individual represents a higher risk of bringing the illness to others in that limited setting?

People can and do bring lawsuits for almost any reason.  Can vaccinated people sue the cruise line for allowing unvaccinated people to bring contagious illness onboard?  Princess cruise line already bans pregnant women entering their 24th week of pregnancy.  That's discrimination based on gender and medical status.  Where are the lawsuits for that? 

At this point in the game, I would expect the cruise line to pick the cruisers who are least likely to get sick and ruin the cruise no matter how many days they have at sea with the line.  I would expect that to change once the pandemic emergency has been lifted.

I never would sit next to a person on an airplane who was sweating, hacking, coughing and sneezing, why would I want to do it on a cruise ship?

Thank you for giving us your insight, I hope you will appreciate mine. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1