The Daily for Wednesday Mar 03, 2021

richwmn

Today is Caregiver Appreciation Day, I Want You to be Happy Day, and National Mulled Wine Day

Every cloud has its silver lining but it is sometimes a little difficult to get it to the mint. - Don Marquis

Meal suggestion for today - Skillet Pork Chops with Apples & Onion

Drink of the Day - Amaretto Sour

Wine of the day - Castello di Neive 2017 Albesani Santo Stefano (Barbaresco) Piedmont

Port of the Day - Qaqortoq Greenland

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 3/5
Westerdam Baja
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 3/3

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Southampton UK
Eurodam

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam Anchorage
Volendam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0303Tor.thumb.png.667f6f1921e138473eed9fde5ba4696b.png

0303USA.thumb.png.6b026190c0c1e08244ef0db8151de366.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

A big thanks to all caregivers. 

Interesting quote.

The dinner sounds good.  Looking forward to reading about the wine and the drink of the day.

I haven't been to Greenland, but hope to visit someday.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

Good morning, everyone!

Three wonderful things to celebrate today!  Caregivers are such a blessing.  I was a caregiver for my mom in her final weeks and it is not easy, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.  That time was so precious to me.  

Who wouldn't want everyone to be happy?   The world is a much better place when people are happy.  We see that daily here on this thread, thanks to Rich and Roy.  And, mulled wine is great on a cold day.  I make mine in the slow cooker and let it sit all day.  It is especially good at Christmas.  

Today's meal gets good reviews, depending on whether you like balsamic vinegar or not.  I love it.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/skillet-pork-chops-with-apples-onion/

skillet pork chops.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the hump day Daily, Rich.  A wonderful selection of days and so true on the Marquis quote.  I wonder if any of the dailyites have been to Qaqortoq.  The meal sounds nice; my alternative is Citrus Delight with Amaretto, Apple Cider Brined Pork Chop with Cherry-Raisin Chutney and Berries Financier, as served on MS Prinsendam March 3, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes03.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery and facing chemo

RIP Vernon Jordan

RIP Cunnorl’s brother

Cunnorl and family potentially exposed to Covid

Hoping for positive outcome for StLouisCruisers grandson at orthopedist

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

NextOne DH released from hospital

First jab for Overhead Fred

Coaches who set positive examples for youth

This community for 11 ½ months

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder if any of the dailyites have been to Qaqortoq.

At least 3 have been. @Cruising-along, her DH, and I had it as a stop on VoV a couple of years ago. It was an enjoyable stop and I will look for pictures shortly.

==

Actually found some quickly, here is a link to what I posted at the time

http://www.wa70.com/vov/Day08.html

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

I had a great time in Qaqortoq, Greenland.  A group of  us hired a boat and captain and we went up to the ice cap.  We were able to get out and walk around a bit at the ice cap.  We then came back to Qaqortoq through some ice fields.  The captain knew exactly what he was doing and maneuvered us right up next to the ice.  

DSC02627.JPG

DSC02630.JPG

DSC02633.JPG

DSC02641.JPG

DSC02645.JPG

DSC02653.JPG

• Like 36

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 😄 

What a great combination of days!  Caregivers are a blessing and should be appreciated every day.  It’s certainly the weather here for mulled wine 😉  And is great if you have to work from home 😉 :

97AEE3E3-9E1C-4A63-AC4F-F6B73F3BBBAC.thumb.jpeg.e1e074a79d353d9d1b3fee6450be1d6b.jpeg

Love that quote and so true.  

Like the meal suggestion but no pork chops in the freezer.  We had a lobster/sea food chowder last night which was pretty dam good if I say so myself.  Tons left over so I’ll see if DH wants more tonight or something else.  It’s certainly still cold enough for more chowder!

Too cold for the drink of the day - I’d like one on a blue hulled beauty though 😉 

Can’t help with the port of the day - never been to Greenland.  It’s pretty hard to get motivated to leave here during summer to go to colder weather when we have fought the cold and frozen tundra all winter 😉 

My excitement for today will be to work on de-icing the driveway now that the winds have died down and then off to the hairdresser.  It’s still bitterly cold here but at least the winds are not as high.

8FD0E8D0-0DDE-46E9-822D-36F5D274869F.jpeg.2ea675c950f4c7c1fd9b674ae0539103.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them.  And a huge toast to those on the Celebratory list.

Have a great Wednesday, everyone.  Stay safe and warm and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 31

Good Morning. DH  and  I  went  on  half  a  VOV  with  my  brother  and sister  in  law in  2013. We  were  still  working  at  the  time and  could  not  take  the  full  voyage. It  was  a  wonderful  time  and  the  start  of the  four  of  us  cruising  together  many  times. We  never  got  to  Greenland as  there  was  too  much  ice. I  enjoyed  seeing  the  pictures of  what  we  missed. It  looks  incredible!

Today's recipe  looks  like  a  keeper  but  I  have  leftover  roast  chicken. I  will  save  it  for  another  time.       Terry

• Like 17

Good morning.  All great days today.  Loved Mulled Wine for simmering and scent.  Caregivers are so important and I want all of us to be happy.  I LOL at the quote.  The meal sounds delicious and with Debbie's recipe I may make it for dinner tonight.  So enjoyed the pictures and information of Scotland yesterday, can't wait for today's.  Toasts, cheers, and prayers for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Amaretto Sour:

Ingredient Checklist
1 ½ ounces Amaretto liqueur
1 ounce simple syrup (dissolve an equal amount of sugar in water)
¾ ounce fresh lemon juice
1 orange slice
1 maraschino cherry
Directions

Step 1 Pour the Amaretto, simple syrup, and lemon juice into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a glass filled with ice. Garnish with an orange slice and a cherry.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.43.25 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful combination of days! I will toast all the caregivers of the world tonight! A special toast for our @Gsel.  I want the Dailyites to be happy everyday - if I could wave my magic wand and start cruises again, I would. My season for mulled wine has passed, I think - but I have a bottle ready, if we have a cold-ish snap.

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. The meal sounds great. I believe I have had the drink du jour - at least once. I like other liqueur better. Greenland is also on my very long bucket list. Thank you Debbie & Rich for sharing your pics & memories!

We had some heavy rain move through before dawn and now the sun is trying to peak through. Not sure what is on my agenda today other than Zumba later this morning & a long walk with Bindi.  More roasted veggies with marinara tonight, but I think I will add eggplant to the mix tonight. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

You cannot go wrong with any vintage you come across, but the 2017’s ratings are just a bit higher. And there are quite a few online distributors with prices starting around $35. 
Winemaker Notes

Medium garnet in color, aromas of red fruits and cassis are complemented by delicate hints of licorice, smoke, and caramel. The tannins in this wine are central to the mouth feel, yet they are neither astringent nor tight...in other words, a perfect example of the Neive style. This wine pairs well with meat-based raviolis, mushroom-topped pork saltimbocca, and elegant filet mignon dishes.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast: Ripe wild berry, violet and camphor aromas lead the way on this full-bodied, inviting red. On the savory palate, assertive, close-grained tannins accompany dried cherry, blood orange and licorice before closing on a hint of coffee bean. Drink 2022–2027.

• Like 24

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Bless the caregivers, the angels to the sick and recovering.  I do want everyone to be happy, but who doesn't?  Mulled wine?  Yes!

@richwmnthank you for adding a port a day to this thread; it's going to be great to see places we may want to visit in the future.  I have a question about today's, though; how is it pronounced?  Quack or talk?  Coke or tock?

Major outing for the day yesterday was a visit to the dentist - it's so nice when you have one that knows your phobias.  Mine is a real sweetheart and does his best to keep me relaxed in the chair.  Fortunately I didn't have anything major done, just a couple of minor filling repairs, but it wasn't an unpleasant experience.

Today's menu suggestion looks like one to file away for the future, because we did go out for some fast food last night - to Popeye's.  DH ordered their cajun flounder sandwich and said if it was too hot, he'd give it to me (he doesn't tolerate spicy foods well), while I ordered their delicious chicken sandwich.  In addition, DH said he'd like to have the 4 pc special for later.  Well, true to form, I ended up eating his flounder sandwich while he ate my chicken (as if I couldn't see that one coming).  For tonight we have the 4 pieces that I'll reheat in the air fryer to maintain it's crispiness and will add a coleslaw as a side for our dinner.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra hugs for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 24

2014, Eurodam’s Viking Passage (Copenhagen>NYC) I arranged a boat for several of us to go up the fjord to the Hvalsey church Viking ruin.

After was able to do walk around town looking at the stone carvings,

688B0BC9-2B99-4785-8401-6F204D604FC0.jpeg

85175AA8-4329-4C8D-B5D7-5AAE58E615E2.jpeg

5EB04BBB-0B9E-4A75-B542-1D1050551DA2.jpeg

55E3CCB5-3790-41AA-A397-48A012E581FA.jpeg

Edited by CJcruzer
  • Like 27

Good morning Rich, Roy, sweet sisters Ann and Denise, fellow Daily-ites. 

Thank you for gifting us with the Daily Rich.

Well, I'm pretty surprised Gov Abbott announced the reopening of Texas. We're still sticking with our protocols..

The guys really accomplished alot of the stonework on the patio. They didn't leave til after 6:30. They snacked off the sausage, cheese and crackers and a few cans of beer we left for them.. that must have kept them going 😉

I had a haircut planned for this afternoon but friends invited us to lunch, so I rescheduled my cut. It's supposed to be 71 today and sunny. A great day to enjoy lunch on Pappadeaux's patio. 

Prayers and Cheers,

Joy

• Like 20