The Daily for Saturday Mar 06, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning Everyone from an overcast day at the beach.

Great collection of days. Love my dentist. Never been to Egypt although DH has a few times on business. He has been everywhere and because of family and my own work obligations I was not often able to join him. 

Family all recovering, BIL still in hospital.  We are all still quarantining.  I have wonderful neighbors who are dropping the groceries at our door.  The Board of Health called and I had a very informative conversation with him. 

I decided today that I am cleaning out closets. Must do something constructive!

Be safe and hopefully we will be cruising again !

• Like 24

Good  morning. I  realized that  the  last  time I  wore  a  dress  was  on  our  last  cruise. It  was  in  2018 on  the  beautiful  Prinsendam from  Amsterdam  to  Rome. Great  memories!

I  really  like  our  dentist  and  he  deserves  a  day especially  for  putting  up  with  me and  my  dental fears. He  peels  me  down  from  the  ceiling  on  a  regular  basis  and  is  very  kind. I  wonder  why  such  things,at  least  for me,do  not  get  easier. However  I  manage  to  get  myself  there  on  a  very  regular  basis  and  we  all  survive.

I  love  the  pictures  and  stories  about  the  port  of  Alexandria.  And  thanks  for  the  laughs  and  the  good  recipe today.       Terry

• Like 19

Hi Rich! A very fun Daily today!! Thank you.

My absolutely favorite dentist in the whole world: my sweet sister Denise! @DeeniEncinitas Happy Dentist day to 🥰 you!

I was up before Rich posted this morning (3:00) and sat with my heating pad and a cup of coffee. Chores got in the way and next I know Claudio's guys showed up. I am hoping they finish sawing bricks soon. I hear that noise in my sleep! 

Off for a nail appt. I'll check in later. Prayers and Cheers!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed visiting Cairo in conjunction with a Nile River cruise. The pyramids and Sphinx were fascinating. I took a camel ride, which was surprisingly comfortable. The museum of antiquities was fabulous, too much to take in all at once. 

• Like 18

Good morning everyone. Have never been to Cairo but did go to the King Tut exhibit when it visited NYC. It was amazing! We went with our neighbors and got almost all the way there when she realized she forgot the tickets....had to come all the way back!

DH took many, many pictures but they are all slides otherwise I would post some here.

Have a great weekend everyone.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

The pinnacle was seeing the beautiful gold mask of King Tutankhamen; I stood before the mask as long as I could, trying to burn the image into my brain, knowing I'd likely never be back to see it. 

I totally understand the fascination with that gold mask.  While I have not been to Egypt, I had the good fortune to be at Expo ‘86 when Egypt had lent their display for the occasion of King Tutankhamen’s tomb.  I too stared at that mask for some time.    The whole exhibit  was fabulous 👍 

• Like 15

Morning everyone. It is going to be another sunny and warmer day here.... highs in the mid-fifties. Dogs will enjoy the mid-morning walk. I have a Zoom meeting this morning and I am not looking forward to it. Have hauled out the By-laws for the our shelter in anticipation which should give you a good idea of what I am expecting from some of the newer members of the Board of Directors. .

Hunter is feeling fine this morning and even with 4 teeth gone he scarfed down his breakfast. The growth on his tail is not the type that is cancerous thankfully. He goes back in 10 days to get the stitches out.

I have been to Egypt but it was many, many years ago. I too saw the King Tut exhibit when it was in the U.S. and one of my most popular courses when I was teaching was Egyptian archaeology.

Susan

• Like 20

In January, 2011, we were on a B2B and had two stops in Alexandria.  The first cruise was Barcelona to Barcelona with an overnight in Alexandria.  We did a private tour to Cairo.  Saw all the usual suspects (including the Antiquities Museum 🤙) and spent the night at a hotel right at the Pyramids.

IMG_0090.thumb.jpg.af16251023945005d122041061c0bbf8.jpg

This is a very bad picture of the pyramids light show that night.

DSC00161.thumb.jpg.0867c08ff0518db137cb9755b82aba98.jpg

The second cruise was Barcelona to Dubai and Alexandria was just a day stop so we took a ship’s tour of the city including the Library.

0114034.thumb.jpg.f0d698d1a46dd6f30f8945d48b451abe.jpg

IMG_0343.thumb.jpg.f06464722c9932150d5bcbdd266f6552.jpg

DSC00060.thumb.jpg.55fd527cece82ef022cf75c8e1c81b64.jpg

DSC00059.thumb.jpg.eff0af2db80cae74af272303e2bee30a.jpg

DSC00065.thumb.jpg.14d54f86fb554a8b2e4e0608ac09084f.jpg

DSC00067.thumb.jpg.d5094c4a4d88c51e072390349bcb2655.jpg

Little did we know that we “got out of Dodge” just I the nick of time!!

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 25

First time in Egypt was on the Grand Med on the Prinsendam during the Arab Spring. At first Egypt ports were cancelled ... then, remarkably, a couple days out the US repealed the travel ban and we were among the first into the country. 

What an experience!  We visited the pyramids and were just about the only visitors there. The huge parking lot was empty.  We took an overnight off the ship.  

Visited the museum on day one - it too was empty. Our guide told us that usually it was so crowded that he had to speak to his groups in the hallways outside of the galleries. We were able to get right up the the artifacts though the guide said that some seemed to be missing - and the building was damaged on the outside. The police station next door was only a shell of a burned out building.  To get to the museum we drove down a drive that was lined with armored cars and tanks.

We were with friends on a private overnight tour.  We stayed in a hotel that was almost in the shadow of the pyramids and visited the pyramids on day two along with Ahmed, our personal government tourist security officer in addition to our guide a driver. Ahmed wore a black suit, was ruggedly handsome with a large black mustache, dark glasses, and a side arm.  Since there were far more souvenir vendors than tourists that day Ahmed was very helpful. If we refused their offer of goods he did not let the vendors come back and pester. 

We enjoyed the pyramids, the Sphinx, a Cairo synagogue and a Coptic church as lone visitors.  It was quite the experience and the locals were so happy and hopeful of a bright future, a better Egypt, on that day. 

On day one we were shown tall towers with small holes around the sides, well above the ground. Our guide shared that these were pigeon roosts.  Encouraged by the locals as pigeon is an inexpensive source of poultry. 

At lunch time we were taken to an empty tourist restaurant where we were wined and dined with all manner of local freshly baked breads, spreads, and meat.  The meat course included freshly barbecued “chickens”. The smallest and most delicate looking “chickens” you have ever seen. They were tasty, though, and we referred to them as Kentucky Fried Pigeon for the rest of the trip. 

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING TO MY DEAR FRIENDS 

ON CC!! Especially to my sisters! 
WOW a great day! 🌴THANK YOU FOR 

DENTIST DAY? HAD KNIW IDEA THERE WAS ONE!! BUT......I WILL DO A TOAST TO ALL IN THE PROFESSION CURRENTLY WORKING OR ESPECIALLY 

RETIRED😊

I HAVE A PLAQUE OF EMILY DICKINSON IN MY DOWNSTAIRS OFFICE WHICH I SO MUCH RELATE TOO!

🌺MOSCOW MULE YUM!

🌺Malbec maybe!

🌺Tonight steak👍

🌺Egypt has been on my list since a child! Would love to do The Nile but over the years with unrest it might be awhile longer. My David surprised me when King Tut exhibit was in LA . So loved it! Every time we go back to Nice we always go to Paris so I can go through the Egyptian exhibit!

Have a beautiful day! LOVE ,PEACE, and 

HAPPINESS to all! 
I APPRECIATE LIFE AND IT IS A PRIVILEGE TO HAVE ALL OF YOU AS MY FRIENDS ❤️
Denise😊

• Like 21

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

DENTIST DAY? HAD KNIW IDEA THERE WAS ONE!! BUT......I WILL DO A TOAST TO ALL IN THE PROFESSION CURRENTLY WORKING OR ESPECIALLY 

RETIRED😊

I HAVE A PLAQUE OF EMILY DICKINSON IN MY DOWNSTAIRS OFFICE WHICH I SO MUCH RELATE TOO!

🌺MOSCOW MULE YUM!

🌺Malbec maybe!

🌺Tonight steak👍

🌺Egypt has been on my list since a child! Would love to do The Nile but over the years with unrest it might be awhile longer. My David surprised me when King Tut exhibit was in LA . So loved it! Every time we go back to Nice we always go to Paris so I can go through the Egyptian exhibit!

HAPPINESS to all! 
Denise😊

• Like 2

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

RETIRED😊

🌺MOSCOW MULE YUM!

🌺Malbec maybe!

🌺Tonight steak👍

HAPPINESS to all! 
Denise😊

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Debbie, love this recipe, though I would substitute brown/wild rice or even quinoa for the instant rice.  A bit more work & time, but worth it!

I was thinking I would substitute riced cauliflower for the rice to cut the starchy carb content.  

Well, I have a long to do list from this morning's meeting.  I had best get to work..

• Like 11

Good morning.  Quite a collection of days.  I am thawing a few more pieces of the New Year's Day ham for dinner tonight.  I have a few dresses, but only wear them on cruises.  

I am another one who is not terribly fond of going to the dentist, even though my dentist is great and very understanding.  It's been too long since i saw him because of the pandemic, but I will be seeing him soon after we get back to Texas.

The Malbac sounds good, but then about the only red I do not like is a Shiraz.  🍷

@rafinmd Roy, you gave be a good laugh today when I saw DH's cake on the celebration list. 

In 2003, we were in Alexandra and Cairo on what everyone called the Mystery Cruise.  It was on the old Regal Princess from Bangkok to Rome in April.  Because of SARS and the invasion of Iraq, we we missed seven or our thirteen scheduled ports. losing one or two at a time.  So we never knew where we would be next.  We did get "safer" ports substituted for the missed ones.  The ship had so many people cancel, almost everyone had a balcony.  One deck was completely closed and all the inside rooms were empty.  However, it is one of the cruises that will always stand out in our memories.

I do not have any pictures from the bus as we drove through Alexandria, but I remember it looking fairy nice.  We also took a ship's tour and had armed guards in pickups leading the bus and following it.  We changed guards at the halfway point to Cairo.  Our first stop was the museum followed by lunch.  We then headed to the obligatory shopping stop, which must be the same one others visited since also have a picture of the pyramids behind the bushes/trees.  Then we went to the pyramids.  DH and I started down into the one that was open, but I turned back part way down.  DH made it to the bottom.  Our final stop was the Sphinx, which for me was one of those AHA moments.  It was surprising to turn around and see KFC across the street.  

We were allowed to take non-flash pictures in the museum, but most of them either have my reflection in them, or a lot of people on the other side of the glass cases.  However, I did find a couple of decent ones even if there are strange people included.

IMG_3067.thumb.JPG.85bd34f7eb39f49e6e205e1eac7cb8e6.JPG

IMG_3070.thumb.JPG.37a7b9f7271c8e19df5ee1e125447495.JPG

IMG_3113.thumb.JPG.8a360321dd1b051d03b4860ea838e020.JPG

IMG_3125.thumb.JPG.fac5a0c9c4fc6d6f302c8fbb70329c0a.JPG

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

I am another one that has never been to Egypt but I did  get to do the tour of the Treasures of Tutankhamun in 1978 at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Absolutely breathtaking. 

I am one of those people who have always liked my dentist and that is really a good thing as I had my first of dozens of cavities filled when I was 4 years old. 

National dress day??? Sorry I haven't owned a dress since I retired in 2004, On gala nights I manage to fit right in with dress pants, a sparkly blouse and dressy sandals.

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning everyone,

Today is a special day for me - We get to see our DS because he has booked a flight from Michigan to Atlanta to pick up his car and spend the night here at our house. 

enhance

enhance

Sandi

How wonderful that you get to spend some time with your son! Enjoy. 

And thank you for sharing your memories of Egypt with us! 

• Like 7

My visit was on the culmination of 3 cruises that followed because of missed opportunities from the one before.  It started with a Silversea Suez Canal cruise in 2007.  One of the ports was Safaga, Egypt, which was a nothing port except the jumping off port for the Valley of the Kings.  Silversea did not get me cruise documents until the window for booking the good tours was past, so it was 2 wasted days in Safaga.  That resulted in booking a Nile Cruise where I visited the Pyramids and Valley of the Kings, even spending a couple of days in Cairo.  They offered a pre-trip to Alexandria, but the documents were in the Hotel welcome package and I was too exhausted from the flights to look at it in time.  I finally booked a Med cruise on Crystal Serenity that stopped in Alexandria.  While everyone else was taking long trips to Cairo and the Pyramids I spent my time in Alexandria.  Sorry, my photos are not labeled but I think the middle one is the Library, not the original one but a modern recreation.

IMG_1127.thumb.JPG.0bf4a05e973f27f4b03a74fd31ff7e6c.JPG

IMG_1129.thumb.JPG.01d31a75eda183f2643364458fedb1cb.JPG

IMG_1130.thumb.JPG.82ccbe9b1a3f357cb85917fdc5af81d0.JPG

Roy

• Like 25

Seeing the pic of the camel reminded me of our docking in Tunisia several years ago. There was a chap offering camel rides. DH asked how much. Oh it’s free was the answer. He rode for quite a while. Oh you want off sir.  That’s five dollars. I won’t say where the camel owner put the money. A bag   You won’t put your hand in to retrieve it. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, dfish said:

I was thinking I would substitute riced cauliflower for the rice to cut the starchy carb content.  

Well, I have a long to do list from this morning's meeting.  I had best get to work..

Great idea!

• Like 5

Good morning, all! It’s fitting that Dentists and Frozen Food share a day - frozen items don’t always play well with others, dental work in particular! The meal sounds good, but I’m hoping we can eat out, or at least take out, tonight.

I've never been to Egypt, but we’ve booked the 2022 Grand Africa. It doesn’t go to Alexandria, so we miss Cairo. However, we go to Safaga and get to visit The Valley of Kings. @cunnorlits good to hear your family is pulling through this awful ordeal. Also good to hear you had a good chat with the health authorities.

Happy Saturday to all, and as the vaccines roll out, our return to our blue hulled beauties slowly draws closer!

FDB2A121-5B68-4C6F-B143-00C98B212893.thumb.jpeg.e20e0b0950312d5d58bf1ef496c5e833.jpeg

• Like 16

20 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

I am another one that has never been to Egypt but I did  get to do the tour of the Treasures of Tutankhamun in 1978 at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Absolutely breathtaking. 

I am one of those people who have always liked my dentist and that is really a good thing as I had my first of dozens of cavities filled when I was 4 years old. 

National dress day??? Sorry I haven't owned a dress since I retired in 2004, On gala nights I manage to fit right in with dress pants, a sparkly blouse and dressy sandals.

Jane

I got to see the exhibit somewhere in LA about 1972 or so. It was a special field trip as part of school.

• Like 9