Balcony Hacks?

codeyell0

I have seen many cabin hacks.  
But nothing to make the balcony better.  (well one about putting the chairs together to make a lounge chair)
Many balconies seem to only have regular chairs (that don't lay flat) and some sort of table or foot rest.   No lounge chair that lays down.
Anyone made a hammock work?

What have people done to improve or make better use of the balcony?

1 hour ago, codeyell0 said:

But nothing to make the balcony better.  (well one about putting the chairs together to make a lounge chair)
Many balconies seem to only have regular chairs (that don't lay flat) and some sort of table or foot rest.   No lounge chair that lays down.

Skip the hammock or adding anything else to the balcony (flags, clotheslines, etc). 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

I've read of folks using a hammock, but I haven't so can't really advise how it is done.  It all sounds like just too much work to me.  

Balconies come in many sizes.

All I've got as a hack is

Bring some towels clips - they work great for securing your washed item while it dries outside.

If you get caught with your pants down - Give a thumbs up to the observer

I've seen the hammock - but I agree that it would not be worth it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

As previously mentioned, most standard balconies are too shallow to permit a lay flat lounger. If you need that, then pay the upgrade to a cabin with a better balcony.

wonderful !   🖖 Vulcan Salute Emoji on Facebook 2.0   Live long and prosper   

I will have an angled balcony on MSC Meraviglia  so the balcony will be a little bigger.  (if we cruise)

The hack doesn't have to be a hammock. 
I thought about the inflatable chairs made for camping.

How do you dry your clothes out there with out them flying away on windy days?

14 minutes ago, codeyell0 said:

I will have an angled balcony on MSC Meraviglia  so the balcony will be a little bigger.  (if we cruise)

The hack doesn't have to be a hammock. 
I thought about the inflatable chairs made for camping.

How do you dry your clothes out there with out them flying away on windy days?

Typically, most cruise lines don't want you putting things on the verandah that would have the capability of flying away.   That would mean those inflatable chairs, as well as laundry, or hammocks.  We use the clothes line in the bathroom for drying clothes we hand wash.  And utilize the laundry service for those things we don't. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Balconies come in many sizes.

All I've got as a hack is

Bring some towels clips - they work great for securing your washed item while it dries outside.

If you get caught with your pants down - Give a thumbs up to the observer

I've seen the hammock - but I agree that it would not be worth it.

The cruise lines rely frown upon hanging anything on your balcony. Please don't do this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

The cruise lines rely frown upon hanging anything on your balcony. Please don't do this.

Yes most of those line drying items on a balcony end up being blown overboard -further polluting the oceans - not to mention the “low rent” look and the safety hazard.

• Like 1

Drying clothes. use coat hanger, and hang from air vent...overnight

Some ship have rather small balcony

2 hours ago, mom says said:

As previously mentioned, most standard balconies are too shallow to permit a lay flat lounger. If you need that, then pay the upgrade to a cabin with a better balcony.

Totally agree... if your balcony is that important....  upgrade.... it is the same with anything,,, you get for what you pay for.......

be happy with what you've got....

Don

A fellow passenger hung a washing line for his gym kit on the balcony, and opened his door to find 2 security officers, who proceeded to removed the line...

We were moored opposite an Aida ship, which had hammocks on most of the balconies, some in use but most hanging from their hooks. They were all the same style, so must have belonged to the ship.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You don’t.

this might explain the reasoning for finding a pair of 4 xl shorts on my balcony 

Edited by c-boy

On 3/7/2021 at 1:24 PM, jocap said:

A fellow passenger hung a washing line for his gym kit on the balcony, and opened his door to find 2 security officers, who proceeded to removed the line...

We were moored opposite an Aida ship, which had hammocks on most of the balconies, some in use but most hanging from their hooks. They were all the same style, so must have belonged to the ship.

No ship would/should pass out hammocks. Huge safety hazard.

On 3/7/2021 at 4:24 PM, jocap said:

do you remember the cruise line?  I know carnival does it in the Havana rooms but they are not balconies, now if carnival would make them balconies i would be all over them but instead you have people walking by your outdoor area 

On 3/8/2021 at 1:40 AM, codeyell0 said:

Well you can't really improve your balcony.... but you can make better use on it

It is weather dependant and which way the wind is blowing..  you can sit outside in morning and enjoy the view.  on a port day have lunch out there.... order room service...

have a glass on wine sitting there.....    enjoy a bit of fresh air....

We generally go for an aft balcony...  and use it quite a bit.... but is it up to each person..

For some it is just the view... a bit of extra space.... somewhere to sit..

Think of having an apartment with a balcony, well a ship is similar but there are smaller..... if you want a bigger one... you pay more....

so hacks...( or mangling ) a balcony...... aaahhh     no.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, crazyank said:

In your opinion.

You may want to peruse the 2009 amendments to SOLAS Chapter II-2 which are aimed at ensuring that existing regulations - 4.4 (Primary deck coverings), 5.3.1.2 (Ceilings and linings), 5.3.2 (Use of combustible materials) and 6 (Smoke generation potential and toxicity) - are also applied to cabin balconies on new passenger ships.

For existing passenger ships, relevant provisions require furniture on cabin balconies to be of restricted fire risk unless fixed water spraying systems, fixed fire detection and fire alarm systems are fitted, also that partitions separating balconies should be constructed of non-combustible materials, similar to the provisions for new passenger ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1