Yorkies Knob

Yorkies Knob is an anchor point for ships too big to berth in Cairns harbour. Then tenders ashore. It is about 10km from the centre of Cairns, but usually shuttle buses run.

It can also be a problematic tender port because of sea conditions.

As others have said, Yorkeys Knob is a tender port north of Cairns. We have only called in there on P&O and Princess, but I have never seen shuttle buses running into Cairns. Plan on booking a tour because there is nothing to see within walking distance of where the tender drops you off. Even taxis are hard to come by.

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

As others have said, Yorkeys Knob is a tender port north of Cairns. We have only called in there on P&O and Princess, but I have never seen shuttle buses running into Cairns. Plan on booking a tour because there is nothing to see within walking distance of where the tender drops you off. Even taxis are hard to come by.

I didn’t say free...

https://www.princess.com/ports-excursions/yorkeys-knob-cairns-australia-excursions/cairns-shuttle-ticket/

29 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Princess operated shorex from Yorkies and did a shuttle service into town, costs outlined above.

HAL also runs shuttle buses to town.

One time on Radiance OTS we had to skip Yorkies as it was too windy for tenders.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

Been to Cairns a number of times on HAL Maasdam. Because she is small she always docked in Cairns. Made life so much easier.

They dredged out the shipping channel into Cairns port last year so that vessels up to 300m can now dock there. Queen Elizabeth docked there just before the covid closures.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lovetocruise1953 said:

Thanks all, we stayed in Yorkies Knob in 2001 but we had a car then.......Planning on doing the Kurranda tour ourselves as we enjoyed it last time and this time have my sister and her husband with us.

Hopefully the cruise line will allow you off to do your own thing. Strong rumours that only  on ships shorex will be allowed off. Time will tell.

5 hours ago, lovetocruise1953 said:

Thanks all, we stayed in Yorkies Knob in 2001 but we had a car then.......Planning on doing the Kurranda tour ourselves as we enjoyed it last time and this time have my sister and her husband with us.

Welcome to Cruise critic, hope you have a great cruise.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Hopefully the cruise line will allow you off to do your own thing. Strong rumours that only  on ships shorex will be allowed off. Time will tell.

The restriction on shorex was announced by some cruise lines for the start of cruising, but not all cruise lines. I cannot see that restriction continuing and I can see no reason for it to apply in Australian ports. When cruise ships are allowed to come here, there will be virtually no chance of passengers contracting COVID while ashore on their own. I believe that is the reason for the restriction.

P.S. The restriction was imposed by MSC last August when it re-started cruising in Europe. I don't know of any other cruise lines that restricted pax to the ship's shorex.

Edited by Aus Traveller

11 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The restriction on shorex was announced by some cruise lines for the start of cruising, but not all cruise lines

Princess seem to be saying that  only ships excursions will be possible when we first return to cruising. I guess time will tell 🤔

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/covid-19-guest-protocols/

Safe Shoreside Experiences

We’re working with local authorities, destinations and tour operators so that the enhanced health and safety measures on board are maintained ashore. We will follow the health protocols for every port we visit. There may be a reduction in the capacity of excursions and tour vehicles. Only shore excursions that comply with our prescribed protocols will be permitted, with strict adherence required of all guests and denial of re-boarding for any guests who do not comply.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Princess seem to be saying that  only ships excursions will be possible when we first return to cruising. I guess time will tell 🤔

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/covid-19-guest-protocols/

We’re working with local authorities, destinations and tour operators so that the enhanced health and safety measures on board are maintained ashore. We will follow the health protocols for every port we visit. There may be a reduction in the capacity of excursions and tour vehicles. Only shore excursions that comply with our prescribed protocols will be permitted, with strict adherence required of all guests and denial of re-boarding for any guests who do not comply.

I got the Princess promo book today, it had the above in it. That policy re shorex will cause some to cancel. I dont know why, we always did ships shorex. I think some people dont want to spend the money. So if you are booked on a cruise, book your shorex or you may miss out and have to stay on board. Imagine a 107 day worldie with no getting off? Like a big cruise to no where. 

6 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We don't know how long the restrictions on shorex will apply - months, a year, or more.

Somethings will probably be different in Australia.  I cannot imagine enforcing mask rules at the terminal in Brisbane when it is not compulsory (as I understand it not like Vic) in the general community.  

I can't see a problem with having to do their shore excursions if they price them reasonably.  

Firstly we need ships to get on board.  If you don't like the rules don't go.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 7:43 PM, NSWP said:

I got the Princess promo book today, it had the above in it. That policy re shorex will cause some to cancel. I dont know why, we always did ships shorex. I think some people dont want to spend the money. So if you are booked on a cruise, book your shorex or you may miss out and have to stay on board. Imagine a 107 day worldie with no getting off? Like a big cruise to no where. 

On 3/9/2021 at 7:34 PM, Porky55 said:

I will be interested to learn what small ships will do with regard to inclusive shore excursions.  Doing shore excursions arranged by large ships doesn't appeal to me at all.  Part of the joy of travel for me is the planning, the sense of discovery and adventure.  However, I do understand how some people like the convenience of everything being arranged for them, as well as not being left behind in port!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I will be interested to learn what small ships will do with regard to inclusive shore excursions.  Doing shore excursions arranged by large ships doesn't appeal to me at all.  Part of the joy of travel for me is the planning, the sense of discovery and adventure.  However, I do understand how some people like the convenience of everything being arranged for them, as well as not being left behind in port!

Some small ships have shore excursions included in the cruise fare. With only 100 - 200 people they can run shorex.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Some small ships have shore excursions included in the cruise fare. With only 100 - 200 people they can run shorex.

Hence their hefty prices.

18 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Lots of free excursions on Proud Mary. They even have their own bus which met us at various places for some of the excursions.

Murray Princess does that too.