The Debbie Downers have been right all along

wesport

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I hold out little hope that they will dedicate the bandwidth to understand why the spread of new variants is something to be greatly concerned about....

+110%

So typical that an argument is made on the basis of historical data. But, the world has been changed since November. I shudder to think about what would happen if a vax-resistant variant got on board. All those family groups and vulnerable senior citizens!!! 🙄

Personally, I would leave the decision to the experts. Leave it to cooler heads! 

9 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I don't find this to be the case at all.   People here have been really generous in sharing bits of intelligently gathered information from a multitude of sources.  What seems to vary most is risk tolerance, and that's always the case with humans.  I tend toward those who want to get a move on, because we could hunker down forever waiting for variants.  They will undoubtedly keep emerging from less wealthy countries who don't have advantages of health care we have here.

But I'm not gonna turn into the old woman in the Twilight Zone episode, hiding in my house until a smooth-talking Grim Reaper -- a young Robert Redford -- talks me into opening my door.

(I apologize for the melodrama. lol)

I certainly do see wisdom from those posters who advise waiting a bit until we know just how efficacious these vaccines really are.  That will probably be pretty soon.  So far the news has been good in that regard.

There is the third option wait a bit longer until the vaccination number help drive the case counts down to a much lower per day number (for the US about 10,000 or so).  We that point and the spread would be pretty restricted and the risk of most activities drops very low.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nocl said:

There is the third option wait a bit longer until the vaccination number help drive the case counts down to a much lower per day number (for the US about 10,000 or so).  We that point and the spread would be pretty restricted and the risk of most activities drops very low.

Do you think that will happen, with so many resisting getting vaccinated?  I hope so.  Perhaps also helped along by those who have had the virus and recovered?  I'll watch for that number you suggest.

• Like 1

Show me the resistance to the vaccine.  Here is 2 pm yesterday updated stats.

15,738,084 vaccines administered of 16,207,640 shipped to the state of Texas.  AND we still have today to administer those 469,556 vaccines.   This week at least one major hub in Dallas was shut down for a full day for weather so the numbers aren't quite as good as most weeks.  Show me the resistance.   Edited:  the total also includes vaccine that may have been discarded for manufacturing or administration error.  Admittedly there aren't that many

vaccine dashboard - 1.jpeg

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

15,738,084 vaccines administered of 16,207,640 shipped to the state of Texas.

That’s great news and lots of shots in arms.  Thing is, those numbers don’t reflect vaccine hesitancy; there’s no information on the number of people who have refused/declined the shot nor how things will work out in the end.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

That’s great news and lots of shots in arms.  Thing is, those numbers don’t reflect vaccine hesitancy; there’s no information on the number of people who have refused/declined the shot nor how things will work out in the end.

What do you mean?  Those numbers represent how many vaccines were given. I know mass media loves a controversial tale but that is all it is.  Look at the numbers, they do not tell that story, they tell what is happening on the ground.  Show me numbers, facts, reality that support that narrative.  Talk is cheap

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

What do you mean?  Those numbers represent how many vaccines were given. I know mass media loves a controversial tale but that is all it is.  Look at the numbers, they do not tell that story, they tell what is happening on the ground.  Show me numbers, facts, reality that support that narrative.  Talk is cheap

I guess I misunderstood your post; I thought you had inferred that the large number of vaccines delivered in Texas was indicative of a lack of resistance to receiving the vaccine.

Edited by d9704011

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

I guess I misunderstood your post; I thought you had inferred that the large number of vaccines delivered in Texas was indicative of a lack of resistance to receiving the vaccine.

I am saying that there is enough demand to deliver every single dose that is available.  So how do you see resistance if every single dose is being utilized.  If they were out beating the bushes looking for people to take the vaccine you might have a point, but that is not what is happening.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am saying that there is enough demand to deliver every single dose that is available.  So how do you see resistance if every single dose is being utilized.  If they were out beating the bushes looking for people to take the vaccine you might have a point, but that is not what is happening.  

I know here in San Antonio everyone over 16 are now eligible to get vaccinated and appointments are still hard to get. I have not read or heard about any dosses going to waste or not being used. We are now over the 30% mark of county citizens having received  both doses. Our positivity rate continues to decline as well.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Just over 10M people in TX have received at least one dose and, of those, about 6M have received a second dose.  So, out of a population of about 30M, TX has about 20M ‘first dosers’ to go.  The ones that are already done are, in my opinion, the so-called low hanging fruit.  The very good success to date is not at all reflective of any resistance or non-resistance to vaccinations; they’re just numbers and the longer-term success of getting a very high uptake of vaccination remains to be seen.  Just because nobody is beating the bushes yet is because it has been relatively easy to find people to take a shot; let’s see when you get above 50% of the population who have had at least one dose.  Right now, too early to say much of anything.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I know here in San Antonio everyone over 16 are now eligible to get vaccinated and appointments are still hard to get...

You live in Bexar County? Congratulations! Along with  Travis County and Tarrant County, you will have the highest vax rate in TX. Possibly >70%.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/03/01/travis-county-leads-texas-covid-vaccine-acceptance/6813574002/

The key is to make it a community event, not just a government campaign. In the isolated community of Prince Rupert in Northern BC, the government made an emergency decision to vax the entire community.

It was done in a single push over a week. 85% of the adults received their first dose. After  3 weeks, huge decline in cases. But, it is not yet zero.

BC Prince Rupert after vax.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Just over 10M people in TX have received at least one dose and, of those, about 6M have received a second dose.  So, out of a population of about 30M, TX has about 20M ‘first dosers’ to go.  The ones that are already done are, in my opinion, the so-called low hanging fruit.  The very good success to date is not at all reflective of any resistance or non-resistance to vaccinations; they’re just numbers and the longer-term success of getting a very high uptake of vaccination remains to be seen.  Just because nobody is beating the bushes yet is because it has been relatively easy to find people to take a shot; let’s see when you get above 50% of the population who have had at least one dose.  Right now, too early to say much of anything.

It is too early to go about repeating media narratives about hesitancy.  There is no evidence.  When there is then talk about it but right now there is zilch, nada, zero, zip. It may never happen, it is just yada yada.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It is too early to go about repeating media narratives about hesitancy.  There is no evidence.  When there is then talk about it but right now there is zilch, nada, zero, zip. It may never happen, it is just yada yada.  

I actually think it's too early as well.  The number of hesitant adults changes every single day, as peer pressure kicks in.  Just anecdotally, many of my own peers initially said they weren't getting the jab, but now they are.

We'll get there.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The graph of Texas is just a snapshot of your immediate area, same with your comments. Currently the USA is at approximately 31%  of being vaccinated either single, first or second injection. 

The Federal Government has published a graph projecting where the hesitancy may exist. Texas is shown as only 10-15% hesitancy. For example, the states of Vermont, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island show less than 10% hesitancy as opposed to the states of Wyoming, North Dakota, and Alaska which show 30-35% hesitancy. Also they have correlated that counties that the majority voted for the former president will show greater hesitancy. An example is Grant County, ND has a population of 2,400 but only a 13% vaccination rate. It estimated that the hesitancy will be 31%.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

The graph of Texas is just a snapshot of your immediate area, same with your comments. Currently the USA is at approximately 31%  of being vaccinated either single, first or second injection. 

The Federal Government has published a graph projecting where the hesitancy may exist. Texas is shown as only 10-15% hesitancy. For example, the states of Vermont, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island show less than 10% hesitancy as opposed to the states of Wyoming, North Dakota, and Alaska which show 30-35% hesitancy. Also they have correlated that counties that the majority voted for the former president will show greater hesitancy. An example is Grant County, ND has a population of 2,400 but only a 13% vaccination rate. It estimated that the hesitancy will be 31%.

I will look at your graphs but how you or anyone sees any hesitancy in Texas is beyond me, it just based on nebulous surveys which mean nothing.  The truth is every vaccine available is being put into an arm.   There is no 10-15% surplus and that is the bottom line.    Additionally I never said otherwise than find the hesitancy in my data.  I could provide 50 states of data but is a bit much, you can you look at your own state.  

Last week the narrative was it was red states.  Terrible, terrible red states.  Well we presented data that wasn't true.  Now it is some other place,  This is just nonsense.  Report what is happening not what people might do in the future.  it is absolutely ridiculous that the same people who told us 2 weeks to flatten the curve are trying to predict what will happen in 4 months

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I will look at your graphs but how you or anyone sees any hesitancy in Texas is beyond me, it just based on nebulous surveys which mean nothing.  The truth is every vaccine available is being put into an arm.   There is no 10-15% surplus and that is the bottom line.  

Reread my post. I did not mention a surplus. This is projected for when all is said and done.

Speaking of vaccine being put in the arms, ND health officials are some days hesitant to open a vaccine vial for lack of someone to give the vaccine to. That is hesitancy!

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

the government made an emergency decision to vax the entire community.

It was done in a single push over a week. 85% of the adults received their first dose.

Sounds like a reasonable approach. Line 'em all up and jab 'em!

Whether they want it or not. After all, it's for for their own good, and for the good of the people, right?

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Just so you know, I haven’t read much of anything in the media about vaccine hesitancy (especially as it may relate to Texas) although I’m sure plenty of it exists.  Anything I’ve suggested comes from my own perspective.... yada, yada, yada!,

I just read these articles this morning so for what it's worth, vaccine hesitancy is out there:

States see rise in unused vaccines as demand flattens, shifting focus to hesitancy (nbcnews.com)

Wyoming has highest level of vaccine hesitancy in the country | Local | jhnewsandguide.com

And since Wyoming is our neighbor 90 minutes to the north from where we live, I hope all the anti-vaxxers stay on their side of the state line for now (yeah, I know ... wishful thinking).

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Reread my post. I did not mention a surplus. This is projected for when all is said and done.

Speaking of vaccine being put in the arms, ND health officials are some days hesitant to open a vaccine vial for lack of someone to give the vaccine to. That is hesitancy!

What I meant by surplus is if there is a 10-15% hesitancy then there should be a surplus to match.   I don’t understand your second paragraph, could you rephrase?

14 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Just so you know, I haven’t read much of anything in the media about vaccine hesitancy (especially as it may relate to Texas) although I’m sure plenty of it exists.  Anything I’ve suggested comes from my own perspective.... yada, yada, yada!,

Then provide quotes and sources for your statements.  Is this something you just thought of while raking the lawn?  We are supposed to take your word without supporting citations 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, zelker said:

I just read these articles this morning so for what it's worth, vaccine hesitancy is out there:

States see rise in unused vaccines as demand flattens, shifting focus to hesitancy (nbcnews.com)

Wyoming has highest level of vaccine hesitancy in the country | Local | jhnewsandguide.com

And since Wyoming is our neighbor 90 minutes to the north from where we live, I hope all the anti-vaxxers stay on their side of the state line for now (yeah, I know ... wishful thinking).

Since Colorado has about 4 times as many people that are hesitant to get vaccinated than Wyoming, I bet people in Wyoming feel the same way.