non-refundable deposit

seaworthy1

We need a cruise, haven't cruised in over 18 months.  Looking on line at Celebrity's web site for 2022 cruises. Whats up?  Drink pkg, tips, wifi all included (you have no choice?) non refundable deposit, you can't opt to pay a higher total and get a refundable deposit? Is this the new Celebrity policy on all their cruises? To all you flamers, I know I could research these answers, I'm just looking for a quick uncomplicated response,  Thanks in advance. 

• Haha 1

Yes effective Nov 17, 2020 new bookings fall under the "Always Included" pricing strategy which as you say includes CBP, WiFi surf, and gratuities.    The starting prices are NRD but after selecting a cabin you are offered a refundable upcharge.   The amount varies by cruise and by cabin type.

image.thumb.png.13c392d86e5db32c87453155c11de7a8.png

• Like 1

I think there are some cruises that are not all included.  However, these are only offered 90 days before sailing, I believe.  Of course, all the good cabins are gone then and airfare is probably higher.

39 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I think there are some cruises that are not all included.  However, these are only offered 90 days before sailing, I believe.  Of course, all the good cabins are gone then and airfare is probably higher.

In their press release they stated that they would offer "select cruises" without Always Included after final payment date in a program that would replace Exciting Deals.  

You only have 30 days after booking with Celebrity to transfer an existing booking to a TA.   You could certainly call and have a conversation.   Some people start with a web site which lets allows TA's to compete for cruises.   Google the concept to get started.  You may find it worth it to cancel your direct booking and rebook.   Which would be an option if you are past the 30 days.

Edited by wrk2cruise

7 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

You only have 30 days after booking with Celebrity to transfer an existing booking to a TA.   You could certainly call and have a conversation.   Some people start with a web site which lets allows TA's to compete for cruises.   Google the concept to get started.  You may find it worth it to cancel your direct booking and rebook.   Which would be an option if you are past the 30 days.

Good to know, thank you!  I upgraded yesterday so got a new booking res, hopefully that will start the 30 day clock.  I will research a few local TA's this week and see what they can do.  Much appreciated.

I did a test booking [before your first post] to see what the real deal was going to be, and I was shocked at how much the extra charge for a refundable deposit was.  Upper Premium and Luxury lines always have a non-refundable charge, but I have never seen one as large as this!  Sorry I don't remember how much it was, because I quickly concluded that a Celebrity Suite now costs more than booking a nice cruise on Silversea.  Between the cruise cost* and the huge refundable deposit cost, Celebrity has now priced themselves above their upper brand-mate.  Crazy!

*to compare Celebrity and Silversea, you must start with at least a Sky Suite on Celebrity

47 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I thought it was 60 days.  Did they change it recently?

Every cruise price is a little different.  We booked for Feb 2023 as soon as it was released.  To make the cruise fully refundable, we paid $320 extra.  Seemed worth it since we were booking two years out.  

Our Feb 2021 cruise was booked before the NRD thing started.  When final payment care around in November, and it was obvious we would not be sailing, it was much easier for us to cancel and get our refund than for our traveling companions who had booked a NRD.  

59 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Good to know, thank you!  I upgraded yesterday so got a new booking res, hopefully that will start the 30 day clock.  I will research a few local TA's this week and see what they can do.  Much appreciated.

Normally when you upgrade that doesn’t create a new booking they just reprice the existing booking.  Check the booking #number and date on your original booking vs the new confirmation. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

Normally when you upgrade that doesn’t create a new booking they just reprice the existing booking.  Check the booking #number and date on your original booking vs the new confirmation. 

Thank you!  My original booking was Nov 12, 2020, so seems that negates my ability to move to a TA.  I had posted this earlier, thanking wk2cruise as well, but seems it mysteriously disappeared from the thread.  I've asked Host Jazzbeau to look into it, quite odd.   

7 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Thank you!  My original booking was Nov 12, 2020, so seems that negates my ability to move to a TA.  I had posted this earlier, thanking wk2cruise as well, but seems it mysteriously disappeared from the thread.  I've asked Host Jazzbeau to look into it, quite odd.   

This constitutes a violation of the CC Guidelines against questioning board management on the website.  If you want to ask a question like this, send an email to community@cruisecritic.com

I stumbled on this last week.  Asked my TA about it and he said it was changed awhile ago.  I've heard in the past that some TA's have luck outside the limit.

From the Celebrity FAQ on the subject.

Can I transfer my reservation to a travel agent if I purchased my cruise directly from Celebrity Cruises?

Bookings may only be transferred to a Travel Agent up until 30 days from creation if the request is made outside of Final Payment period and the booking is not paid in full. If a booking has a ChoiceAir ticket and the transfer request involves a change in currency we cannot accommodate a transfer. If you would like to transfer your reservation to a travel agent, please complete this form.

The entire thread seems to me a cautionary tale about why you should start with your TA in making any cruise reservation.  Not only do they know the rules, but they have wider windows to correct things.  [Not to go over again all the other reasons for using a TA, which have been covered in so many threads...]

53 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This constitutes a violation of the CC Guidelines against questioning board management on the website.  If you want to ask a question like this, send an email to community@cruisecritic.com

Def will do, thank you, will also send to feedback@cruisecritic.com

55 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I stumbled on this last week.  Asked my TA about it and he said it was changed awhile ago.  I've heard in the past that some TA's have luck outside the limit.

From the Celebrity FAQ on the subject.

Can I transfer my reservation to a travel agent if I purchased my cruise directly from Celebrity Cruises?

Bookings may only be transferred to a Travel Agent up until 30 days from creation if the request is made outside of Final Payment period and the booking is not paid in full. If a booking has a ChoiceAir ticket and the transfer request involves a change in currency we cannot accommodate a transfer. If you would like to transfer your reservation to a travel agent, please complete this form.

Apparently my TA has been lucky.  I have recently moved 2 bookings at around the 45-50 post booking window.   Most recent booked on Jan 3rd and transferred it on Feb 15th.  

• Thanks 1

You might want to check around with some of the bigger cruise agencies. The one I use always has refundable deposits without the up charge, not sure if that is due to group bookings or their relationship with Celebrity. 

13 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes effective Nov 17, 2020 new bookings fall under the "Always Included" pricing strategy which as you say includes CBP, WiFi surf, and gratuities.    The starting prices are NRD but after selecting a cabin you are offered a refundable upcharge.   The amount varies by cruise and by cabin type.

image.thumb.png.13c392d86e5db32c87453155c11de7a8.png

Celebrity has found another way to add costs to cruises.   First, the all inclusive, second, several hundred dollars more for refundable.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

What is the  gen range of NRD penalty amounts?

Can you still move a cruise with a NRD?

Under normal circumstances if you cancel a cruise with a NRD outside of final payment there is a $100 pp penalty and the remainder of your deposit is returned in the form of FCC valid for 1 year after issue.  You can also move the ship/sailing date with a $100 pp administrative fee and the balance of the deposit is applied to the new sailing.

For cruises covered by Cruise with Confidence with sailing dates prior to 5/4/2022 if you cancel the NRD the $100 fee is waived and you get the whole deposit as FCC.   If you move the NRD reservation to a sailing prior to 5/4/2022 the admin fee is waived.  To move to a sailing after 5/4/2022 you will be charged the admin fee.

After writing all this, maybe your question was really what is the range of up-charges to get a refundable deposit??  It varies widely and is per cabin.  From the low amounts < $200 like the one I quoted above to over $1400 which in my mind is stupid to insure a risk of $900 but that's up to each persons risk factor.

12 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

I thought it was 60 days.  Did they change it recently?

I did too. Last night after reading 30 days I checked on Celebrity's website and found what wrk2cruise posted (#15). I didn't realize the time frame had changed. 

W

e had two bookings with NRD Celebrity  both where refunded to our credit cards about a week before sailing October 2020 and February 2021 it was done with out cancelling or contacting them all good well done Celebrity