Navigator now confirmed in California

Assuming Navigator is the only ship in the RCI fleet modified for shore power, this is somewhat related:

Royal Caribbean's Terminal A joins Carnival Cruise Line's new Terminal F to become shore-powerready at PortMiami by fall 2023.

'Our efforts to make PortMiami shore power ready are moving full steam ahead thanks to the incredible work of the PortMiami team, [Florida Power and Light] and the commitment of Carnival Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean Group,' Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said.

'Our goal is to continue ensuring PortMiami is a leader in sustainability and to shape a more resilient cruise industry that prioritizes the protection of our environment,' she continued. 'We are proud of this big step and look forward to working with other cruise companies for the second phase of this project to make the Cruise Capital of the World more sustainable.'

Follows February commitment

In February Levine Cava launched an initiative to bring shore power to PortMiami in collaboration with Miami-Dade's major cruise line partners.

Since then, Carnival Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean Group have agreed to launch Phase 1 of this program for connections at Terminals A and F. Additionally, the Environmental Protection Agency's Diesel Emissions Reduction Act announced a $2m grant for this first phase.

Phase 1 actions

Phase 1 will transform the power levels at the port from the electrical grid to cable management systems for the heavy plugs and outlets on the vessels. This system requires each party to implement improvements to the electrical grid and supply lines, equipment on the pier and shore-to-ship connection on the vessel.

PortMiami is also working with other cruise line partners to ensure their designated berths have shore power connectivity as part of Phase 2.

Two PortMiami terminals to be shore-power-ready by fall 2023 (seatrade-cruise.com)

Edited by Biker19

• 1 month later...

I was doing a mock booking on my Navigator cruise for 2-21-22 and noticed there are only 2 Junior Suites left and balcony cabins are limited to forward only, aft and middle are all showing sold out. Do you think the west coast cruise is so popular or is RCI not selling to full capacity?

Edited by Lorey2007

59 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

RCI may have some understanding (perhaps not advertised) with California for capacity limits (like they had in the UK). CA seems to be very risk averse when it comes to COVID. 

That sounds good to me I'll have to do some checking when they begin sailing in November. Thanks.

Edited by Lorey2007

They are starting out at about 40-50% capacity and will increase it as time goes by.  On of the operating factors is the capacity of some of the venues with social distancing.  The Windjammer is open to everyone with every other table not being used.  We just got off the Ovation today.  Only 1768 passengers.  It is not know if this is the current limit   It is also not known when they will raise the limits.  

11 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

They are starting out at about 40-50% capacity and will increase it as time goes by.  On of the operating factors is the capacity of some of the venues with social distancing.  The Windjammer is open to everyone with every other table not being used.  We just got off the Ovation today.  Only 1768 passengers.  It is not know if this is the current limit   It is also not known when they will raise the limits.  

Ovation cruise that started today has a little over 2000 passengers this week.

1 hour ago, gsalbato said:

We will be on the November 19th cruise. We are curious about so many things for the first west coast cruise, especially the total occupancy.

Will also be interested to hear back from those of you to sail first. We won't sail until January 17th.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gsalbato said:

We will be on the November 19th cruise. We are curious about so many things for the first west coast cruise, especially the total occupancy.

I am on shortly after you on the 29th. Curious to see what your experience is like. Have a wonderful cruise!

10 hours ago, newmercies said:

Does anyone know when the Navigator will have her simulation cruise? 

I wouldn't expect it before the end of October. Her crew needs to be vaccinated and she needs to be approved for the test cruise (not indicated yet on the CDC web site).

I think the low availability is a combination of spreading people out on the ship, and CA residents excited at having a Left Coast ship again.  We've been begging for one since they moved the Mariner due to violence in Mexico.

I have 3 booked between January and May next year.  They are very popular from what I've been reading.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pcur said:

They are very popular from what I've been reading.

Given the current pricing, maybe not so much. The three night 1/14/2022 sailing has GTY insides at $128. I assume the 7 nighters are more popular as those prices are more "normal".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pcur said:

I think the low availability is a combination of spreading people out on the ship, and CA residents excited at having a Left Coast ship again.  We've been begging for one since they moved the Mariner due to violence in Mexico.

I have 3 booked between January and May next year.  They are very popular from what I've been reading.

As you know it wasn't just the violence in Mexico (there's violence everywhere) the H1N1 was a big determining factor.

I just watched a travel agent video, saying people are going for shorter cruises now, out of Covid fears. Low prices should persist for Navigator, because they have to compete with similar rock-bottom prices on Carnival Radiance and Panorama, which will also sail year-round, and Carnival Miracle is there for the non-Alaska season.  Princess also has a busy schedule out of LA, the Norwegian Bliss will have 5-7 day trips, and the lack of Australian options now means it's easier to leave ships in LA than to send them around for the crowded Caribbean markets. I used to have to go on just the ancient Carnival Inspiration/Imagination for 4-day cruises out of LA, so it's really nice to have a RC alternative now at similar prices. 

2 minutes ago, rj59 said:

I just watched a travel agent video, saying people are going for shorter cruises now, out of Covid fears. Low prices should persist for Navigator, because they have to compete with similar rock-bottom prices on Carnival Radiance and Panorama, which will also sail year-round, and Carnival Miracle is there for the non-Alaska season.  Princess also has a busy schedule out of LA, the Norwegian Bliss will have 5-7 day trips, and the lack of Australian options now means it's easier to leave ships in LA than to send them around for the crowded Caribbean markets. I used to have to go on just the ancient Carnival Inspiration/Imagination for 4-day cruises out of LA, so it's really nice to have a RC alternative now at similar prices. 

I guess many are..but we're not one of those...All of the ones we have booked are at a minimum of 7 nights with a few at 12 & 13 and a B2B for 2022...and one 12 nighter for 2023...waiting for more  2023 schedules to open up.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

As you know it wasn't just the violence in Mexico (there's violence everywhere) the H1N1 was a big determining factor.

No, I didn't remember that when I posted above.  All I remember is teenagers were dropping like flies in Mexico.

But now that I think more about it, I didn't pay much attention to H1N1 after I found out more about H3N2 I had in 1968. 

Seems they have similar genes, and I was told by Kaiser virus experts in 2009 that were taking my history that I was most likely immune to H1N1, but to get vaccinated, anyway. I might have had the virus at that time, but didn't get sick from it.  Even now the CDC thinks there are residue pre-existing immunities in people that developed some of the more serious earlier pandemic virus, and H3N2 was a doozy. 

I was very, very sick and very, very healthy.  What a way to lose pre-nuptial weight so you look good in your wedding gown!!!

Being a sugar cube polio vaccine kid, I took vaccines whenever they were offered.