GAY PEOPLE ON BOARD

nashkan

I know this may sound crazy for some but as a gay couple ...I still cant seem to be comfortable enough to have a slow dance with my partner on a cruise ship. We have never had any bad experience when saying we are a couple to people we meet but to actually slow dance yikes I personally cant yet. 

Cant wait to see you all miss cruising

Sea ya

Eric

• Like 8

2 hours ago, nimiq said:

I know this may sound crazy for some but as a gay couple ...I still cant seem to be comfortable enough to have a slow dance with my partner on a cruise ship. We have never had any bad experience when saying we are a couple to people we meet but to actually slow dance yikes I personally cant yet. 

Sea ya

Eric

Good Morning, DH and I danced on two ships, Zuiderdam and Oosterdam.  On the Zuiderdam we were with a larger group.  Some people in Northern Lights had an issue and left.  In both instances the crew were fabulous, even playing requests so we had something to dance to.  As @mary229 suggests the larger challenge is getting the other half on the dance floor. Drinks may be required!😆

• Like 12

If there is a problem, it’s with them not you!  You should do exactly what you want to do as a couple, including slow dancing, fast dancing, hip hop, whatever!  Enjoy your vacation to the fullest!

• Like 20

5 hours ago, nimiq said:

Sea ya

Eric

On my very first Alaska cruise - years ago - two gay guys got up in the ocean bar and slow danced.  One idiot who'd had too much to drink made a derogatory comment, and was quickly shamed out of the bar by the rest of us.  That was a very long time ago, and attitudes have changed since.  

• Like 3

Years and years ago on the now gone MS Ryndam my wife and I made friends with a gay couple.  One of the first nights on the ship we were looking for a place to sit in the Crow’s Nest and they invited us to share what were back in those days long curving sofas.   We had a great time with them and we always sat together for our pre-dinner cocktails.  The first formal night, and this was when there was always a live band in the Crow’s Nest, my wife and I got up to dance and the guys joined us on the dance floor.   About half way through the second piece one of the guys tapped me on the shoulder and I step aside to let him dance with my wife.  There was this moment when his partner and I was standing there watching them dance and I turned to him and asked him to dance.  Great times and one of many fond memories from our HAL cruises.   

• Like 44
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I'm glad to see so many supportive posts here.  I'm embarrassed to admit that once upon a time I wouldn't have been so supportive of a gay couple, but times have changed and thankfully I've come to realize that my views were wrong........ dance away!!!!!!

• Like 29

5 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I'm glad to see so many supportive posts here.  I'm embarrassed to admit that once upon a time I wouldn't have been so supportive of a gay couple, but times have changed and thankfully I've come to realize that my views were wrong........ dance away!!!!!!

Wow, that takes a big person to admit that!  I just gained a lot of respect for you.  

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Years and years ago on the now gone MS Ryndam my wife and I made friends with a gay couple.  One of the first nights on the ship we were looking for a place to sit in the Crow’s Nest and they invited us to share what were back in those days long curving sofas.   We had a great time with them and we always sat together for our pre-dinner cocktails.  The first formal night, and this was when there was always a live band in the Crow’s Nest, my wife and I got up to dance and the guys joined us on the dance floor.   About half way through the second piece one of the guys tapped me on the shoulder and I step aside to let him dance with my wife.  There was this moment when his partner and I was standing there watching them dance and I turned to him and asked him to dance.  Great times and one of many fond memories from our HAL cruises.   

This just made me smile.....great story

• Like 4

9 hours ago, nashkan said:

Is this a problem if two men slow dance together?

I'm quite sure a lot of people of the "older" generation would have a problem with two gay guys dancing together.  As another poster said, that's their problem, not yours.  It's a throw back to the times when that was not accepted and change comes hard.  I also don't think anyone will have the guts to come here and say that to your "face".  

You asked, that's my opinion.

• Like 1

I love to see the responces to  this post.  It makes me think all the more that we have booked on Holland America for all the best reasons. ( First time cruisers with HAL ).  Maybe my husband and I will learn a few dance steps from watching others.

Edited by sandrabarrett
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, nashkan said:

Is this a problem if two men slow dance together?

If I could be brutally honest....it isn't until someone calls attention to themselves being any sort of alternative that I even notice they're different from me.  That goes for lifestyle, race, etc.  In other words, go dance and enjoy yourselves as a loving couple just like any other couple and to the majority of people, you probably won't even be noticed as anything alternative.  🙂  

I hope that makes sense and comes across as intended.....in a good way!

• Like 9

About 25 years ago my DH, myself and 17 year old daughter were on a shore excursion. At one point two woman got out at a photo stop and asked if my husband could take their photo. He was doing the usually pumping his chest routine when I turned to my daughter and said "I don't think he realizes they are gay." We laughed for days about that.

Woman dance together all the time. Why not men. What I will say is that I am not a fan of over the top displays of affection by straight or gay couples. There are just some things I don't need to see.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Wow ! That’s when you just to want that cruise to finish as in the real world it doesn’t usually happen as is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

On my very first Alaska cruise - years ago - two gay guys got up in the ocean bar and slow danced.  One idiot who'd had too much to drink made a derogatory comment, and was quickly shamed out of the bar by the rest of us.  That was a very long time ago, and attitudes have changed since.  

Like I mentioned before being on vacation means not worrying about anything so if this situation would happen to us ....I would not want to get into any arguments that might make this trip less enjoyable so because of that we usually will withstand of doing a slow dance. Don’t worry though we do dance like crazy to other stuff. 

The only time we might try to slow dance one day is if we are with a group or friends and family that would make it easier for us but then again I don’t want them to have to shame the people that would make derogatory comments. 

Anyhow I think it’s a personal matter and once we do feel comfortable we will for sure do it and will enjoy it like the rest of the world does. 

kudos to the gay couples that do it you have all my admiration 🙂

Sea Ya 

Eric

• Like 2

1 hour ago, groundloop said:

Amazing like this honest post.

• Like 3

One thing I really like about HAL is I have never seen obnoxious behavior of any kind.  My last non-HAL I had a situation with a jerk (not pertaining this topic).  I have since stayed with HAL and have been very happy doing so.  People on HAL, in my experience, are very civil on all fronts.  They just don't confront other people.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

One thing I really like about HAL is I have never seen obnoxious behavior of any kind.  My last non-HAL I had a situation with a jerk (not pertaining this topic).  I have since stayed with HAL and have been very happy doing so.  People on HAL, in my experience, are very civil on all fronts.  They just don't confront other people.  

Oh dear, I really wish I could say the same.  We have encountered some very obnoxious people onboard HAL ships, and some that have been extremely rude to crew members.  They cruise all lines. 

• Like 1