Looking at cruises in early 2022 - Vaccine required?

SumoCitrus

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Right now that 2 years is a factor we just have to deal with. Its not meaningless, just something out of our control. One of the cruise lines is not allowing anybody under 18 at all, to avoid this issue.

That is not what I am saying.  What I am saying is that the way it is written they are not requiring those under 18 and over 16 to get the Pfizer vaccine.  So basically they are only requiring those over 16 and under 18 to be vaccinated if they are already vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine.

Kind of meaningless comment since they do not have to be vaccinated according to the way the statement is written.

On 3/24/2021 at 4:44 PM, deliver42 said:

I won't cruise unless vaccinations are mandatory for anyone over 16.

I agree 100%. I am disappointed that HAL has not stepped up and made it a requirement. I would of hoped for pro active. I suspect that deep down they might be hopping for a CDC guideline not requiring so that they can hold us hostage for shore excursions. In which case I cancel.

We now have five canceled cruises on the book and would of been really close to five star.

Looking at Crystal and Virgin for other options.

There are literally millions of people who have already had it and recovered.  To me, it seems ridiculous to require those people who've already had Covid to then submit to the vaccine.   

It does seem sensible to have testing before boarding, however, I for one am hoping that Holland America doesn't mandate a vaccine for all their passengers.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

There are literally millions of people who have already had it and recovered.  To me, it seems ridiculous to require those people who've already had Covid to then submit to the vaccine.   

It does seem sensible to have testing before boarding, however, I for one am hoping that Holland America doesn't mandate a vaccine for all their passengers.

It’s already been proven that recovering from Covid only gives a very short term immunity.  In fact, some people have re-contracted it after the first time.  And, from reports, they are much more ill than the 1st time. 😔 

A test is only a moment in time and if it’s too early, there might not be a positive result.

So, I for one hope that HAL DOES  mandate a vaccine for all passengers.  It’s the sensible thing to do IMO for at least the 1st 2 years until more is known or the pandemic has been defeated.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, kazu said:

It’s already been proven that recovering from Covid only gives a very short term immunity.  In fact, some people have re-contracted it after the first time.  And, from reports, they are much more ill than the 1st time. 😔 

A test is only a moment in time and if it’s too early, there might not be a positive result.

So, I for one hope that HAL DOES  mandate a vaccine for all passengers.  It’s the sensible thing to do IMO for at least the 1st 2 years until more is known or the pandemic has been defeated.

And they're already talking about how you can still get Covid even after the vaccine, and that immunity isn't guaranteed.   So why is everyone putting so much faith in the vaccine?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mightycruisequeen said:

And they're already talking about how you can still get Covid even after the vaccine, and that immunity isn't guaranteed.   So why is everyone putting so much faith in the vaccine?  

Actually,  the on going research is going the exact opposite way...indicating that it is probably a very low chance of getting or transmitting Covid once you are fully vaccinated. The standard testing for approval and use didn't address this. But just today, it was announced that a large study...30k people, has been underway and the early results look very promising. 

• Like 6

There is no published, peer reviewed studies indicating that the vaccine is not effective against variants and as a matter of fact early tests by the vaccine makers indicate they are.  These are self reported results.  

the vaccine has been deemed by studies to be up to 95% effective much higher than most flu vaccines.    Remember flu vaccines do not impart lifetime immunity.  Many vaccines do not impart lifetime immunity 

There is no study indicating that Covid reoccurs in those who have had it.  Most current thinking is the people with recurrence simply have not full recovered.  

now to my opinion , I find it interesting that so many were so fond of referring back to the 1918 influenza saying that it lasted 24 months which is about right.  Here we are in 2021 with many successful  vaccines and yet we want to lock down for 24 months.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

I don’t know who “they” are but I listen to the legitimate news sources and the scientists.  

Since most of us have had vaccines to protect us from all types of things, I really don’t understand the resistance.  Or would you have preferred to have skipped the polio vaccine and be in an iron lung?  We’ve all had numerous vaccines that have helped save our lives and our quality of life and made some illness non-existent.  Just a few diseases that are no longer a risk if we are vaccinated:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/diseases/forgot-14-diseases.html

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Actually,  the on going research is going the exact opposite way...indicating that it is probably a very low chance of getting or transmitting Covid once you are fully vaccinated. The standard testing for approval and use didn't address this. But just today, it was announced that a large study...30k people, has been underway and the early results look very promising. 

Exactly.  The sooner we can get vaccinated, the better our chance to beat the virus before it continues to mutate further.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2021 at 2:04 PM, mightycruisequeen said:

I disagree.  I know people who are anti vaccers and I think it is entirely irresponsible to expect to go on crowded cruises without protecting others.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2021 at 12:47 PM, Vict0riann said:

My feeling is that a country may require a vaccination, but I'm not so sure that a cruise line could.  And it's all about the money!

Have you looked at Saga, Viking Cruises, RCI (out of Nassau), Celebrity (out of St Maarten) etc.  They all require vaccinations with some minimum age exemptions (such as 18).  There does seem to be a growing trend of the cruise lines to use both a vaccine mandate and testing..

Hank

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Have you looked at Saga, Viking Cruises, RCI (out of Nassau), Celebrity (out of St Maarten) etc.  They all require vaccinations with some minimum age exemptions (such as 18).  There does seem to be a growing trend of the cruise lines to use both a vaccine mandate and testing..

Hank

I am still hoping HAL will require it for ALL.  I understand the under 18 (or 16) criteria as they are not yet eligible for the vaccine but what happens to the cruise if those unvaccinated contract the virus.  They are not protected against severe symptoms so is the cruise canceled?  Maybe we need to book Viking for a while we’re no one under 18 is allowed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I am still hoping HAL will require it for ALL.  I understand the under 18 (or 16) criteria as they are not yet eligible for the vaccine but what happens to the cruise if those unvaccinated contract the virus.  They are not protected against severe symptoms so is the cruise canceled?  Maybe we need to book Viking for a while we’re no one under 18 is allowed.

Maybe we need to book Viking for a while we’re no one under 18 is allowed

. That might be a plain ..

So here's what I want to know.

And just for reference I have been vaccinated.

If someone gets the test at the port the day of embarkation and it comes back + and they are denied boarding.....do they get a full refund? Or is this a way to force passengers to pay for the Platinum  protection Plan? Consider also there are both false + and false - test results.

And what if you are flying to a destination. The airline tests you and it comes back +. But you have been vaccinated. So now you can't fly. Refund from the airline? REfund from the cruise?  The hotel? Imagine the stress with everything else the day of a cruise and now you have to wait 15 mins for a test result that could be wrong.

What are the financial implications here? And who is out of luck? The passenger ?

37 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

So Celebrity wants a vaccine plus a negative test before sailing?  Seems a bit overkill to me.

From what I understand is that St. Maarten is requiring the Test for all.  Celebrity is requiring it for under 18 yr olds.  In addition, Celebrity will be testing on Debark Day for passengers to have entry back to the U.S.

1 hour ago, Lady Hudson said:

So Celebrity wants a vaccine plus a negative test before sailing?  Seems a bit overkill to me.

I would not put the onus on Celebrity (or RCI).  Folks flying in to the Bahamas or St Maarten must not only comply with the cruise line requirements but also must been the requirements of the embarkation country and the various ports.  Testing is part of those requirements.  At this time the acceptance of vaccination in place of testing has not been widely accepted.  Why?  My suspicion is that many countries do not want to call more attention to their own failure in getting their own folks vaccinated.  But this will change and we can already see countries such as Iceland and Romania moving towards entry for those vaccinated.  I suspect that Greece and the UK will soon move this way while other countries, such as France, will be very resistant because their own vaccination programs lag.

Hank

"legitimate" news sources and the scientists?  Legitimate seems awful subjective these days depending on source one considers.  Facts and figures can be twisted and interpreted these days to reach whatever conclusion one wants to reach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kamfish642 said:

"legitimate" news sources and the scientists?  Legitimate seems awful subjective these days depending on source one considers.  Facts and figures can be twisted and interpreted these days to reach whatever conclusion one wants to reach.

Way back when I was in high school my debate coach said, "There are 3 types of lies, lies, damn lies, and statistics." I was impressed until I realized he had stole the quotation from Mark Twain.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The vaccine does not guarantee you will not get Covid.  It lessens your chances of contracting it and protects you from dying from it or having a very serious case.  It does not mean you can't contract it and give it to others.  Nor does having Covid previously guarantee you from not getting/spreading it again.  

The only ship I will be sailing on is one that has the MAXIMUM amount of testing pre-cruise and vaccination certificate required.  Hell, I'd even be happy with a mid-cruise and post cruise test as well.  Whatever it takes to make cruising safe again.  I think cruises have the potential to be a very controlled and safe option for vacations in the future..  I hope they go that direction or unfortunately, our cruising days are over and I know I am not alone.  

• Like 3

On 3/22/2021 at 12:08 PM, Vict0riann said:

Do you think they will be allowed to require that?  I have a feeling there would be an uproar about "vaccine discrimination".  There was a cartoon in our local paper the other day, evidently there are already complaints about unfair treatment.

IMG_5566.thumb.JPG.963869356ef8353c013fc95abf4beb92.JPG

What is unfair, the vaccination is free and available, person making a choice to endanger their life and the lives of others are making a voluntary decision not to participate in cruising because they are dangerous.

• Like 4

I don't want the vaccine but I am not opposed to sailing with other vaccinated people. It's important to protect yourself if you are at risk. I think the cruise lines will be ok, the problem is likely going to be the countries visited.

9 hours ago, sprockie said:

The vaccine does not guarantee you will not get Covid.  It lessens your chances of contracting it and protects you from dying from it or having a very serious case.  It does not mean you can't contract it and give it to others.  Nor does having Covid previously guarantee you from not getting/spreading it again.  

Actually there is a very encouraging study out that is indicating that those vaccinated have little transmission of the virus.  

Only 30,000 people in that study but the results are encouraging so far 👍 

4 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

I don't want the vaccine but I am not opposed to sailing with other vaccinated people.

You don’t want the vaccine so I interpret that to mean you will not get it?  Not sure if I am reading that right or wrong so apologies if I have misunderstood.  

Those that aren’t vaccinated may not be opposed to sailing with vaccinated people but for many the inverse is not true.  Those vaccinated may not want to sail with those that are not vaccinated.

4 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

It's important to protect yourself if you are at risk. I think the cruise lines will be ok, the problem is likely going to be the countries visited.

Everyone is at risk.  Everyone.  The new variants are affecting young people and young people were dying before the new variants arrived.

Agree, it will be key the countries want us and I suspect that vaccination will be a requirement for at least the first two years.

• Like 1

On March 15 China started issuing China Visas only with official proof of COVID-19 vaccination to U.S. citizens.Visas issued prior to March, 28,2020 aren’t valid at this time.

Looks like people who don’t get vaccinated won’t be doing cruise ship cruising. And probably not traveling to to many of the worlds destinations without being vaccinated in my view.

• Like 1