Return to normalcy?

On 3/25/2021 at 1:47 PM, Sky616 said:

Have had no problems.  Nobody has said a word except at Dick's sporting goods last week.  They offered me one at the front door.  I said nope, no thanks and kept walking. Have been to Old Navy, Home Depot, Lowe's, Homegoods and our 3 local grocery stores recently.  It's not a law.

And you are proud of not doing your part to quell this pandemic?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I do not understand how, after dealing with this for over a year, you even ask that question. The non mask wearers are protected by those who wear masks.  Non mask wearers have been part of the problem of this pandemic,  not the solution. Masks are worn , primarily for source control, not for protection. Have you ever heard this before or just ignored it?

After a year of seeing people wear masks incorrectly, not covering their nose, chin diaper.....yes, I doubt their efficacy (it is one mask, two masks?). I get tired of the virtue signaling....."you are trying to kill grandma!".

if you are concerned for your health, wear an N95 mask or stay home. Every day I see people wearing masks, but incorrectly, poorly fitting, with ultra-thin fabric. Many times they are the same ones that point out the non-mask wearers....."you need to make them wear a mask so I can be safe". I've seen fights ensue over mask wearing. It has exposed the ugly underbelly of humanity.

You and I will have to agree to disagree. I understand that you are an adamant mask-wearer and believe in it whole-heartedly. You are entitled to that opinion. I wear a mask when required, but do not impose my thoughts upon anyone. I do not reprimand people for not wearing a mask, I do not tell them to put one on.....I simply let people be and go about my way. I fail to understand the anger, the aggression which mask wearing has caused. 😕

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I have had the same experience in central Florida. All establishments  require masks and their employees all are masked up. There may be the rouge establishment that does not require masks but they are very few and far between. Most people have continued to mask up in my community so we have not been negligent in Florida and have been doing our part to mitigate the virus as best we can. The larger cities are not as good with masking and it is usually the younger people who feel they don’t have to worry about the virus and feel no obligation to help others stay safe. Sorry folks,  it that is the truth. 

I am very happy to hear this.  What the rest of us in the US are reading / hearing / watching is that FL is not following mask protocol.  I am relieved to hear that the business owners are being responsible, because it truly is a good way to contain the spread.  Thank you for enlightening us!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaroleSS said:

I fail to understand the anger, the aggression which mask wearing has caused. 😕

As has been stated ad nauseam, masks are for source control not protection. In other words when someone near me is not wearing a mask they are directly endangering me. That is why people get angry, they care about avoiding infection. As to the anger and aggression of anti maskers, it's my belief that these individuals object to being forced to do something they don't want to do.

On 3/25/2021 at 7:12 PM, HBE4 said:

It's useless to compare any states numbers to Florida as its seems Florida is  consistently under reporting cases & deaths claiming "backlog" or "non-resident"  death (ignoring the fact that the non-resident may spend 8 months of the year living in Florida, contracted covid there and died there) or changing the rules as to what constitutes of Covid death.

Below are just a few links dating back to the beginning of the pandemic last year.  I could probably find another dozen if I try hard enough. You don't even need to click into the line to read the report, the title says it all.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-florida-coronavirus-deaths-delays-explanation-20201024-jb2qc2plcvedzi6hg2e4rq2bke-story.html

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/covid-19-death-toll-could-be-higher-than-floridas-data-shows-cdc-says/

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion/columnists/gil-smart/2020/12/18/floridas-covid-19-numbers-worse-than-we-know-some-say-yes-opinion/6531877002/

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/florida-state-officials-not-releasing-medical-examiners-coronavirus-death-data.html?utm_campaign=bhr&utm_source=website&utm_content=related

https://www.salon.com/2020/12/16/desantis-faces-renewed-scrutiny-following-discovery-of-mysterious-gap-in-floridas-covid-death-tally/

This is why I don't pay attention to the numbers and stats. Never have. When the same person tests positive several times while waiting to test negative to go back to work, and each test is added to the count......then I realized that those numbers are skewed and not accurate to tell any kind of trend.

I paid attention to when our health care system was overwhelmed in certain parts of the country. I paid attention to when there were refrigerated trucks holding bodies that had no where to go because morgues were full. That is what I paid attention to. Hopefully, with the vaccines, those horrific scenarios will not occur again.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 7:21 PM, time4u2go said:

Also, people seem to think that death is the only bad thing that can come of this virus. That is obviously not the case.

Agree. The long haul side effects can be very troubling. There is light at the end of the tunnel though. It has been discovered that some people with those long haul Covid side effects have relief and sometimes complete reversal after being vaccinated. That is great news for those suffering with those long haul effects.

Some With Long Haul Covid Side Effects See Relief After Vaccination

• Like 1

CDC Real-World Study Confirms Protective Benefits of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/29/world/pfizer-moderna-covid-vaccines-infection.html

Among those who were fully vaccinated, there were .04 infections per 1,000 person-days, meaning that among 1,000 persons there would be .04 infections in a day.

There were 0.19 infections per 1,000 person-days among those who had had one dose of the vaccine. In contrast, there were 1.38 infections per 1,000 person-days in unvaccinated people.

Edited by dswallow

On 3/26/2021 at 11:02 AM, HBE4 said:

NY/NJ/CT have been coming out of lockdown since early last summer. It's just at a much more....."measured"....pace. Weather last summer was the best in years so we always ate outside even when indoor dining was available. Even hit the beach a few times and only wore a mask to and from the car or going indoors to the restroom/concession stand. While each state set it's own rules, they did coordinate with each other.

Mind you, I don't live in NYC. I'm an hour away so the rules are different. I haven't been to NYC since last Feb.  The media focuses more on NYC than the rest of the state. But to give you the long and drawn out explanation if you're really interested: NY was divided into 10 geographic regions: NYC, Long Island and 8 others scattered around the state.  Based on a whole bunch of metrics such as rolling 7 day average of hospitalizations, ICU capacity, % testing positive, R0, etc, etc, certain restrictions on each regions could be lifted. There were initially going to be 4 planned phases. For example, Phase 1 would be outdoor dining at 25% capacity and hair salons allowed to open. Phase 2 could be outdoor dining at 50% and indoor dining a 25%. I don't remember what the exact criteria was for each phase but you get the idea. 

At one point, it did get  bit confusing at there would be 5 regions in Phase 3, 4 regions in phase 2 and NYC still stuck in phase 1. But eventually, all the regions outside of NYC quickly synced up so the rules fell into 2 groups: NYC and the rest of the state. NYC was always a phase or two behind the rest of the state.  And as I said earlier  the media focuses on NYC which is not representative of the rest of the state.  That would be like me judging all of Florida based on what happens in Miami. wou

Now, do you want to hear about micro-zones? LOL

I would like to know when Broadway theaters will be open again. Is there any talk about that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

After a year of seeing people wear masks incorrectly, not covering their nose, chin diaper.....yes, I doubt their efficacy (it is one mask, two masks?). I get tired of the virtue signaling....."you are trying to kill grandma!".

if you are concerned for your health, wear an N95 mask or stay home. Every day I see people wearing masks, but incorrectly, poorly fitting, with ultra-thin fabric. Many times they are the same ones that point out the non-mask wearers....."you need to make them wear a mask so I can be safe". I've seen fights ensue over mask wearing. It has exposed the ugly underbelly of humanity.

You and I will have to agree to disagree. I understand that you are an adamant mask-wearer and believe in it whole-heartedly. You are entitled to that opinion. I wear a mask when required, but do not impose my thoughts upon anyone. I do not reprimand people for not wearing a mask, I do not tell them to put one on.....I simply let people be and go about my way. I fail to understand the anger, the aggression which mask wearing has caused. 😕

I have never said a word to anyone who is not masked. I'm not about to enter into an altercation with someone who evidently has no regard for the people around them. NOT ONE WORD has been uttered from my mouth to the maskless people who have done their best to perpetuate this pandemic. I just stay the hell away from them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pcur said:

I am very happy to hear this.  What the rest of us in the US are reading / hearing / watching is that FL is not following mask protocol.  I am relieved to hear that the business owners are being responsible, because it truly is a good way to contain the spread.  Thank you for enlightening us!!

I'm in central Florida in the largest senior community in the world with the largest infrastructure for golf carting all over the place. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it here. Anyway, we seniors have been very careful trying to stay safe (most of us anyway). Our local businesses know their demographic and they have made their establishments safe for us seniors. Did I say I love it where I live?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

This is why I don't pay attention to the numbers and stats. Never have. When the same person tests positive several times while waiting to test negative to go back to work, and each test is added to the count......then I realized that those numbers are skewed and not accurate to tell any kind of trend.

I paid attention to when our health care system was overwhelmed in certain parts of the country. I paid attention to when there were refrigerated trucks holding bodies that had no where to go because morgues were full. That is what I paid attention to. Hopefully, with the vaccines, those horrific scenarios will not occur again.

While I do agree with you that the most important thing to pay attention to is overwhelmed morgues and hospitals, the best way to prevent from even getting there is by tracking the progress thru a variety of metrics - hospital capacity, ICU capacity, positivity rate. Given the typical 2-4 week time lag between the various stages, testing is where it all starts - as imperfect tool as it is for the reasons you stated.

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

I would like to know when Broadway theaters will be open again. Is there any talk about that?

Probably te same time as to when cruising resumes from the US.🙂

Officially, it's closed thru the end of May. After that, who knows. Movie theaters are reopening, smaller arts and entertainment centers are reopening. "Pop-up" performances  will be allowed. These are temporary and unannounced so it only benefits those that are in the right place at the right time.

Some theater owner expect to open June or July, some have already indicated they will not open until the fall and will only do so if they can operate 100% capacity.

So, like cruising, it'll be a gradual rollout. IMO

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2021 at 1:08 PM, yogimax said:

As of yesterday, Florida had a positivity rate of 13th worst out of 50 states.  That means 37 states are doing the same or better.  Not very successful if you ask me

I live in NJ and along with NY we are the top 2 in the country.  Don't leave the house with out a mask.  Haven't seen others without a mask either. What does that tell you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badaple92 said:

I live in NJ and along with NY we are the top 2 in the country.  Don't leave the house with out a mask.  Haven't seen others without a mask either. What does that tell you?

I’d say that without masks it’s possible that every citizen in the states of NY and NJ would have COVID-19 by now.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I’d say that without masks it’s possible that every citizen in the states of NY and NJ would have COVID-19 by now.

Then there would be loads of people with antibodies in those states.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I'm in central Florida in the largest senior community in the world with the largest infrastructure for golf carting all over the place. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it here. Anyway, we seniors have been very careful trying to stay safe (most of us anyway). Our local businesses know their demographic and they have made their establishments safe for us seniors. Did I say I love it where I live?

I visited where you live once on vacation.  I would love to live there but it's too far away from my family.

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Isn't that the immune systems response to being challanged with the virus?

Correct. 

So unless I misread post #168, the implication is that masks reduced the spread of the virus, hence less people with antibodies. 

Or maybe I missed something. 🤔

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Correct. 

So unless I misread post #168, the implication is that masks reduced the spread of the virus, hence less people with antibodies. 

Or maybe I missed something. 🤔

My point is that IF almost everyone in NY and NJ had the virus (as mentioned in that post) THEN loads of people in that area would have antibodies to it.

There is nothing more, or less, to read into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

My point is that IF almost everyone in NY and NJ had the virus (as mentioned in that post) THEN loads of people in that area would have antibodies to it.

There is nothing more, or less, to read into it.

Got it. Thanks!

I realized after I posted that it could also be interpreted that there are way more people walking around infected so your statement would be true. 

I was in the process to editing my post but you type faster than I 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1